Author Topic: how many people dont pyramid their weights up?  (Read 4504 times)

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
Re: how many people dont pyramid their weights up?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »
I like volume training and I'll choose one exercise per workout and do a "true pyramid".  I increase weight up to where I can only do a single rep, then I will reduce the weight by the same rate I increased, and try to add reps.
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 01:44:27 AM »
How does doing pyramid training equate with "weights that your muscle can easily carry?"  Just because you do pyramid sets doesn't mean that you don't max out on a set or two of your top weight.  If your max is, say, 50 in DB curls, then doing a set of 35's to warmup and then 40s or 45s and finally 50s, with a set or two of less weight afterwards to completely flush the biceps with blood, will stimulate muscle growth as much and probably more than doing a warmup set or two and then doing 3 sets with the 50s. 
Says who?

A lot of people get great results with pyramid training. Good for them. But i believe the sets with the 50s are most important for growth, so i really want to concentrate on them and give them 100%. Muscle pump does not equal growth, lifting heavy weight with decent form does. Another reason for me to not pyramid is that i only can work out three times a week. So i have to group bodyparts togheter and i can't do many sets per exercise.

$

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 03:52:47 AM »
I have seen good gains not from pyramiding but doing one real light warm up set then set 1 is a wieght that i can move 6 times max same thing for set 2.  then set 3 drop the wieght i usually do increments of 10 and do 8 reps then set 4 drop 10 do 10 reps then set 5 drop 10 and do 12 reps...i follow this setup with everything Im doing right now and i love it gains in size and strength...i mean not like superhuman but noticeable.  good luck bros

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 02:59:18 AM »
When you lift really heavy, and are training on a heavy compound lift, especially early in your workout, its almost essential to do a few progressively heavier warm up sets. From one point of view, this can look like pyramiding., but once the whole muscle group is warmed up, you don't need to pyramid , or do more warm ups.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 03:37:27 AM »
i usually just go for one warm up set...i really like to spend as little as possible before the heavy weights get on the bar...so i guess it could be a form of pyramiding. ..

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 05:28:47 AM »
ill tell you what though i am getting sick of my workout and so ive started doing a 5x5 routine and its pretty taxing but it leaves me worked...i like it so far..i will see if i make any type of gains...im hoping for 3-4week increments...start off with this wiehgt for 5x5 then by 3-4 weeks i am going to try to go up increments of 10...