Author Topic: MATARAZZO had a HEART ATTACK Monday, Nov 8  (Read 17014 times)

omgsoswole

• Getbig II
Re: MATARAZZO had a HEART ATTACK Monday, Nov 8
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2007, 03:21:32 AM »
I'm new here....but why isn't Hank Wood banned yet?

He's Ron's gimmick account.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2007, 03:50:20 AM »
For the record, i hope Mike makes a full recovery.

Mikes condition raises more questions than answers though:

-What is the future for this so-called sport? 
-Why are our so-called athletes falling prey to debilitating illnesses and health complications? 
-Why are so many young men dying prematurely?

If we continue to ignore these issues the sport will further spiral out of control.  Athletes will continue to become ill and some will die.

For Christ sake, doesn't anyone care?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2007, 04:17:58 AM »
You fuckers, Mike almost died for you bitches!

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2007, 04:18:44 AM »
I'm new here....but why isn't Hank Wood banned yet?

worst gimmick ever.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:01 AM »
WOW!..............sad news
i remember when Mike was getting ready for the U.S.A.'S,he went to the same gym i did (golds gym Everett ma)
his wife worked where i worked so i saw him frequently,after he won and turned pro he told me stories about how people would freak out and just stare at him wherever he went (shopping mall etc),he drew a crowd whenever he went,when he stopped in the bar/club i worked at i would watch as people would point, whisper then gather around him like a celebrity,it was a crazy time,on a warm summer night Mike would show up with a tank top on and be outside talking to people for an hour or 2 before he was even able to get in the club!,many years later when Mike was living in Cali i visited Venice and we had lunch at the firehouse (he was larger than life still),Mike had many many stories and was full of life then..............this to me is particularly sad news,i wish him well and a speedy recovery!!!

i can't stress enough...great great guy!

BigAnt

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • What don't kill me...makes me stronger
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2007, 05:48:31 AM »
A great guy, always very nice and had time to talk to me every time I had saw him!

Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2007, 05:57:04 AM »
"We received phone call today (Thursday November 8 ) from Mike Matarazzo, who told us he had suffered a heart attack on Monday, Nov 5. Matarazzo had been hospitalized for a couple days but is now back in his home in Modesto, California.

Arguably the most popular bodybuilder of the 1990s, Matarazzo was first diagnosed with heart problems three years ago, when, in December of 2004, he underwent triple bypass surgery. After this most recent setback, Matarazzo has had a pacemaker installed and has been instructed by doctors to take it easy for a while. According to Matarazzo, he had been "training regularly and eating clean" until the heart attack.

Matarazzo informed us he wanted everyone to know he is taking this latest challenge in stride, philosophically adding, "You just play the cards that life gives you." As for his condition, Matarazzo told us, "The doctors said only 25% of my heart was functioning." Those who know Mike will tell you 25 percent of the Matarazzo heart is about 120 percent that of a normal person's.

Let's all wish him well and a speedy recovery. "

from flexonline.com

Holy shit!  :-[
:D Weee

gymrat3082

• Getbig II
  • NPC Bodybuilder
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2007, 06:08:46 AM »
When ever you hear something like this its Horrible news!!!  I wish mike a fast and speedy recovery.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2007, 06:10:28 AM »
 :)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2007, 06:20:01 AM »
eating all that red meat is a biatch

I remember nutrition  articles in Flex where he talked about the enormous amount of steak he ate.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2007, 06:22:18 AM »
Not being a smart ass, but I wonder if this would have happend regardless of the 4 grams of test, gh, decca,insulin etc.... he was taking.  Thoughts?  I do agree genetics plays a huge role.
That shit can happen to anyone. My sister enlaw is only 40 and she had a heart attack 3 years ago. They had to give her a quadruple bypass. She is much better now but the point is that shit can happen to anyone at anytime.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2007, 06:34:25 AM »
That shit can happen to anyone. My sister enlaw is only 40 and she had a heart attack 3 years ago. They had to give her a quadruple bypass. She is much better now but the point is that shit can happen to anyone at anytime.

Well yeah..it can. you are 100% correct. Lightning could strike anyone at anytime too...but if your playing Golf in a thunderstorm  you are asking for it. I am not saying he deserved to have a heart attack and I'm not blaming the bb drugs either..just pointing out the obvious that certain activities can increase the chances . Thoughts go out to his family.

The Coach

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2007, 06:39:23 AM »
For the record, i hope Mike makes a full recovery.

Mikes condition raises more questions than answers though:

-What is the future for this so-called sport? 
-Why are our so-called athletes falling prey to debilitating illnesses and health complications? 
-Why are so many young men dying prematurely?

If we continue to ignore these issues the sport will further spiral out of control.  Athletes will continue to become ill and some will die.

For Christ sake, doesn't anyone care?

I agree with this, with drugs and now add insulin into the picture, it's made BBing even more of a risk, one thing for sure though, the IFBB doesn't give a rip about their "athletes" and former "athletes"...it's all about the almighty bottomline for them. No insurance, no retirement, no money, NO NOTHING, Mike was a Weider boy and a big name in the BBing world, he was put by the waste side and the IFBB basically shit on him. Any other LEGIT athletic organization would helped to look out for the welfare of they're athletes and retirees, same with Flex, he almost went broke with that illness and same with anyone else with who had any health problems, sponsers and organizations did nothing as far as I know to help. Bottomline.........it's the BOTTOMLINE, they want you to be loyal to them, but will they be loyal to you? I think not!!

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2007, 06:47:57 AM »
I agree with this, with drugs and now add insulin into the picture, it's made BBing even more of a risk, one thing for sure though, the IFBB doesn't give a rip about their "athletes" and former "athletes"...it's all about the almighty bottomline for them. No insurance, no retirement, no money, NO NOTHING, Mike was a Weider boy and a big name in the BBing world, he was put by the waste side and the IFBB basically shit on him. Any other LEGIT athletic organization would helped to look out for the welfare of they're athletes and retirees, same with Flex, he almost went broke with that illness and same with anyone else with who had any health problems, sponsers and organizations did nothing as far as I know to help. Bottomline.........it's the BOTTOMLINE, they want you to be loyal to them, but will they be loyal to you? I think not!!

gotta agree with this, if Tiger Woods or Shaq HAD SOME illness relating to sports they would be well taken care of finacially
Mike was abandoned by the sport he loved so much
sad

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2007, 06:55:38 AM »
maybe the weiders can donate some of their schmoe memorabilia for an auction to help mike out...
footloose and fancy free

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2007, 06:58:23 AM »
Its like saying ..... When a drunk driver crashes his car into a tree....it was more him driving a car into the tree which caused the accident, Alcohol just made it happen faster.
The Number 2 in Scranton

CRIS

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2007, 07:19:09 AM »
I wonder if Joe or Ben Weider are aware of the situation Mike is facing nowadays....

For all of the magazines, shit supplements like mega mass 5,000,000, tickets for shows, etc that Mike helped to sell, what help the Weider enterprises land to Mike at his lowest in life? And Peter McGough had the nerve to ask at Flex magazine for the fans to help Mike financially for all of the good memories and inspirations he gave to the fans along the years as a pro. How much McGough donated himself for Mike's debts in hospital? How much the magazine he runs for Joe donated for Mike? How much Rafael Santonja, a crook beyond crooked, donated for Mike's sake? How much the CEO of Weider Supplements had donated for Mike, for all of those Metaform and Megamass ads that he was advertising for them for years - and surely helped to sell a lot of them. Mike was the main posterboy for those supplements, he and Gunther, only keep in mind that at the time Gunther was far form the top of his career, the oposit of Mike, who was all over the place in the bb industry.

The fitness industry treats their athletes like shit. Bodybuilding as an industry is a fucking disgrace, a shame. This sport should be kept amateur only, because it would force the guys to keep their day job as the main source of income.

My guess is that, whoever invented this sport as we know it, i.e., the competitions and the way a show is judged to reach a winner in the end, never intended bodybuilding to be a professional endeavour where their participants could make enough money to make a living of it. That's waht I think. It should be like it was at its inception: a way to evaluate who had the best physique amongst the ones who liked to sculpt and build their bodies, just that. Competitors worked the week of the show until friday, and went onstage on saturday night. Once the show was finished, he grabed his trophy, and as a prize he would won a year free membership at the gym he used to train, that's it.

When bodybuilding was this way people never heard about athletes dropping of sudden death like these days.

THE WEIDERS SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!
Reservations at Dorsia ?

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:40 AM »
We all die someday...
The Number 2 in Scranton

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2007, 07:23:03 AM »
We all die someday...

STFU, attention whore.

go learn something to please your parents, or eat more spring rolls.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:12 AM »
Matazazzo and anyone who takes steroids shouldnt be surprised that a Heart Attack or sudden death can strike at any time..what fools ..... Id say rest in peace but id have to give a fuck ...which i dont.
The Number 2 in Scranton

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2007, 07:42:38 AM »
Mike was a great bb, incredible guns. Hope he recovers.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2007, 07:47:12 AM »
Matazazzo and anyone who takes steroids shouldnt be surprised that a Heart Attack or sudden death can strike at any time..what fools ..... Id say rest in peace but id have to give a fuck ...which i dont.

That's kinda what I was getting at . Sucks for anyone that young to have health problems but there are always consequences to everything to some degree...not just drug use but lifestyle in general.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »
You make your bed, now get f*cked in it... :'(
The Number 2 in Scranton

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2007, 07:55:42 AM »
You make your bed, now get f*cked in it... :'(

I wouldn't go that far...but I get your point. We all do make our bed..but choices we make when we are younger are often foolish and come back to haunt us. That doesn't mean we necessarily deserve what we get..but we obviously pay for our mistakes..at least some of us do.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2007, 07:56:57 AM »
My ex-husband had a heart attack (at 32) and a stroke (at 38).  Needless to say he was not a person who was careful with his diet, smoked and never exercised.  Still doesn't.  We divorced over 18 years ago, he was wearing a size 38 pants.  Now he looks just like John Candy.    :-\
:D Weee