Author Topic: Hurt my back doing deadlifts.  (Read 5978 times)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Re: Hurt my back doing deadlifts.
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »
High-rep deadlifts = injury prone because of form degradation with each rep. Don't take much to injure back with bad form.

But who would want a massive lower back pump anyway?

thats what i was saying only a lot shorter same shit though....right on...i love dead lifts though i cant explain why but i do...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
High-rep deadlifts = injury prone because of form degradation with each rep. Don't take much to injure back with bad form.

But who would want a massive lower back pump anyway?

The idea that higher reps = injury due to fatigue is absurd. The same fatigue can happen with 3 reps if the weight's heavy enough.

Same with form BTW, has nothing to do with rep numbers.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 01:20:24 PM »
The idea that higher reps = injury due to fatigue is absurd. The same fatigue can happen with 3 reps if the weight's heavy enough.

hey pump i said that also in my earlier post...know matter what deadlifts are a great move imho..

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »
Hurt my back doing rack deads a few weeks ago......recurring back problems for the last few years.

No more squats or deads for me for a while anyway.  :(

If you have access to a reverse hyperextension machine get on it fast....great for re-habbing lower back injuries.

Higher reps with slow prgressive weight increases but do them in good form.

I swear by this exercise for helping my back in the past.

Of course. By their nature, hypers are almost always high reps, low resistance and thus easier on the back, much like doing high rep deads or better yet, rack pulls.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 01:23:05 PM »
imho couldnt you consider that lighter wieght higher reps would equal more muscle fatigue by set and cause the oppurtunity for bad form and injury?  but i also think the same could be said about to heavy a wieght....

Of course; this is lifting 101. If the weight's heavier, the fatigue can happen much more quickly. So can form degradation.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 01:41:59 PM »

Same with form BTW, has nothing to do with reps.
Weight is irrelevant, its the form--->always degrades with reps, goes for any exercise, and especially dangerous and prevalent with deadlifts.
follow the arrows

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »
Weight is irrelevant, its the form--->always degrades with reps, goes for any exercise, and especially dangerous and prevalent with deadlifts.

Form has nothing to do with rep numbers, it has to do with compromises that are encountered as fatigue sets in using any combo of reps and weight.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 02:10:08 PM »
Form has nothing to do with rep numbers, it has to do with compromises that are encountered as fatigue sets in.
I think its a combination of form getting worse with reps and also fatigue setting in (I disagree that form has nothing to do with rep numbers). But higher reps will induce more fatigue, so either way it seems like a good idea to do lower reps (using a weiht you can handle).
follow the arrows

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »

Of course. By their nature, hypers are almost always high reps, low resistance and thus easier on the back, much like doing high rep deads or better yet, rack pulls.
I`m talking about reverse hypers here,not regular hyperextensions.

When I first got hurt I could barely do a few reps with just bodyweight but worked up to 190 for 5 over time............my previously messed up back felt much better....great for the whole posterior chain.

I`d go light at first then slowly add weight gradually,then mix up heavy and lighter days doing both high and low reps.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »
i dont know what the hell to call it but you guys ever try doing upper body raise, where your calves are held down by pads and you are facing the ground at 90 degrees then raise up to be paralel to the floor?  those work pretty good also, you can throw a twist in the movement and get some rear oblique action...

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »
Great example of the danger of DLs. Not essential IMO, if you have to do em keep the reps high, do rack pulls/partials, do hypers or just let the back work indirectly from other exercises like squats and rows.

Don't do anything that puts direct pressure on the back, take it easy for 1-3 weeks as needed, otherwise you could reaggrevate it and make it worse.

how does anyone that uses a bowflex get in a position to offer advice to people who train with weights anyways ?

I love hearing people who don't have that nads to pull once a week say it's not worth it,it's easier to figure out who the lightweights are .

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »
how does anyone that uses a bowflex get in a position to offer advice to people who train with weights anyways ?

I love hearing people who don't have that nads to pull once a week say it's not worth it,it's easier to figure out who the lightweights are .

Dude your reasoning & logic in some of these threads is shaky at best, so is this post LOL especially your need to try to feel better about yourself by attacking others.

FYI Vince Basile feels the same way about deads as i do; it's just an opinion, for which there's no reason for you to meltdown and attack others manhood-that's seriously infantile shit. Besides which, he actually won something, unlike you. Between he and i we've forgotten more training info than you currently know, and i'm not the least bit worried about attempts to question others manhood when as far as i know you weight around 150 lb.

FYI "geo" there's nothing wrong with a bowflex, and i doubt you have sufficient experience with one to be able to explain any problems with it from direct experience-what exactly is your experience with one? gh15 one of the most knowledgable guys on here and a real BB unlike you, would not agree with your analysis. Can you tell me honestly that you can bench 410 lb. on a bow for 15 reps? If not, try being smarter and work out more instead of more baseless claims.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »
it's just an opinion,

that's exactly my point kid,anyone who's ever lifted wieghts would'nt waste their time dickin around with a bowflex, so that tells me you've never had any success in the weight room, so how the hell can you offer advice unless you just sit there and repeat stuff you've heard other people (that actually lift) have given...

let me ask ya this,

have ya ever deadlifted before ?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 08:36:06 AM »
that's exactly my point kid,anyone who's ever lifted wieghts would'nt waste their time dickin around with a bowflex, so that tells me you've never had any success in the weight room, so how the hell can you offer advice unless you just sit there and repeat stuff you've heard other people (that actually lift) have given...

let me ask ya this,

have ya ever deadlifted before ?

Seriously your words reek of resentful redneck shit. I doubt you could keep up with me in the weight room son LOL

Still haven't answered my question as to your direct experience with a bowflex and whether you can bench the max. resistance on it. If you can't, i'd say you're really talking out your ass. Both gh15 and bob chick have no trouble with it because they're secure in their masculinity unlike you, don't have to see weights going up and down to prove anything.

Hope this helps

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 08:45:07 AM »

Seriously your words reek of resentful redneck shit. I doubt you could keep up with me in the weight room son LOL

Still haven't answered my question as to your direct experience with a bowflex and whether you can bench the max. resistance on it. If you can't, i'd say you're really talking out your ass. Both gh15 and bob chick have no trouble with it because they're secure in their masculinity unlike you, don't have to see weights going up and down to prove anything.

Hope this helps

calm down porky,no need to get riled up,to answer your question about using a bowflex,no,absolutely not,why would I waste my time ?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 08:47:03 AM »
calm down porky,no need to get riled up,to answer your question about using a bowflex,no,absolutely not,why would I waste my time ?

Relax my beligerent little one, your attacks went nowhere. As far as the bow, proof positive that you're talking out your ass once again. By now you should've learned not to talk and make assumptions about things you don't know about. Did you complete high school? You reek of blue-collar resentment.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 09:00:24 AM »
Now the lil tough guy with issues has reported posts to moderator, after attacking like a rabid dog he can't take it bwhaahahahahahaha

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »
Now the lil tough guy with issues has reported posts to moderator, after attacking like a rabid dog he can't take it bwhaahahahahahaha
hahahaa, he's been doing that for years.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »
Relax my beligerent little one, your attacks went nowhere. As far as the bow, proof positive that you're talking out your ass once again. By now you should've learned not to talk and make assumptions about things you don't know about. Did you complete high school? You reek of blue-collar resentment.

I'm blaming you pumpster for not deadlifting of squatting,you're obviously just a by product of shitty genetics and  a lack mental toughness....

I do like your choice of purses though (hopefully they match you shoes)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 11:00:58 AM »
This sounds like the typical ass-muscle-being-short-thing.

Check this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stretches.php?MainMuscle=Glutes

Especially the Seated floor twist, I do a version of this, always before squatting. Standing I put the knee on an incline bench and twist. It should stretch back up in the ass.

I do it before I am warm, as well. My sports therapist told me it would be better that way. I usually crack out the back a little this way too. 8)

Good call on the stretches.  I screwed up my back doing deads a couple weeks ago - put them at the end of my back workout, but didn't drop the weight any lower than when I would do them first, so of course, I fucked everything up.  Had to take deads, leg presses, and stiff-leg deads out of my routine because of the stress.  For legs I'm pretty much just doing leg extensions and curls, and a few sets of hacks to maintain.  Overly tight low back/glutes seems to be the culprit.  I've been doing those stretches 1-2x/day for the last few weeks with some SMR foam rolling, and it's helping a lot.

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2007, 05:03:32 PM »

a lot of people don't post on here anymore because of you pumper. You get snarky and can't take a comeback then ban people.

As for getting back to the thread...

High reps and low reps BOTH have a place while deadlifting. If you have pain that R.I.C.E (and your legal painkiller of choice won't fix) after a few days see a Dr., don't mess around with the back

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »
a lot of people don't post on here anymore because of you pumper. You get snarky and can't take a comeback then ban people.

he get's overwhelmed knowing he's not on the same page as most people here because he dos'nt lift (I don't  consider using a bowflex lifting) so he guess's a lot.......

it's his self doubt that makes him angry !

;D

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 02:55:41 PM »
I'm a believer in the rack deads.  Doesn't hurt the lower lumbar region, takes the legs out of it, and still grows your whole upper back.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
go to the doctor

get perks

share them with me!!
X

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »