Author Topic: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!  (Read 22065 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Re: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »
Well this Tibetan Terrier definitely gets loud as fuck and the siren description fits it perfectly.  However, that's only at night when she is in her crate.  During the day she doesn't make a sound.  Bottom line she doesn't like being alone...
w

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2007, 03:29:31 PM »
Well this Tibetan Terrier definitely gets loud as fuck and the siren description fits it perfectly.  However, that's only at night when she is in her crate.  During the day she doesn't make a sound.  Bottom line she doesn't like being alone...

You should of went with my suggestion

A boxer would have been a good fit for your family & lifestyle

;D

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »

I would do some research on separation anxiety.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2008, 08:47:01 PM »
every dog i have ever owned sleeps in the bed,my current dog made me upgrade to the california king size bed :D

bench

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2008, 09:26:52 PM »
every dog i have ever owned sleeps in the bed,my current dog made me upgrade to the california king size bed :D

bench

That's why we have the Cal. King, both Chucka and Chaos sleep with me and the wife. Chaos is starting to do the floor because he gets tired of both of us yanking around the blankets and moving him.. ha-ha

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:32 PM »
That's why we have the Cal. King, both Chucka and Chaos sleep with me and the wife. Chaos is starting to do the floor because he gets tired of both of us yanking around the blankets and moving him.. ha-ha
i got bad ass insomnia so i am usually just watching tv or on the computer at night.so the bed is pretty much hers anyway ;D

bench

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »
I would do some research on separation anxiety.

Not in a dog this young.  If its got legitimate seperation anxiety this early, its going to be a real real mess once its an adult. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
Not in a dog this young.  If its got legitimate seperation anxiety this early, its going to be a real real mess once its an adult. 

I didn't say it had separation anxiety, but the treatment for a dog with it and puppies who don't like being left alone or crated is similar.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2008, 05:44:07 AM »
When we got our dog, we would crate him and make short trips out and gradually make them longer. It seemed to work well for us.
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2008, 09:57:34 AM »
If one pitbull attack and kills a yorkie does that mean all pitbulls will attack and kill yorkies?

If one black kid who lives in west philly shoots a cop for a traffic stop, does that mean all black kids in west philly will shoot cops when they get pulled over?

Stupid logic, come on man.

the examples you just used are stupid logic, but looking at typical breed characteristics is not.  If you don't want a yappy dog, or an extremely active dog then you stay away from breeds that typically have those characteristics even though you may get the exception.    Don't you think some dogs end up in shelters because people thought they would get the exception to the rule dog or that they would be able to change it and they couldn't?   If you are set on a particular breed but don't like some of the characteristics then you should look for an adult dog that you will know how it is and look for the exception dog.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:33 AM »
the examples you just used are stupid logic, but looking at typical breed characteristics is not.  If you don't want a yappy dog, or an extremely active dog then you stay away from breeds that typically have those characteristics even though you may get the exception.    Don't you think some dogs end up in shelters because people thought they would get the exception to the rule dog or that they would be able to change it and they couldn't?   If you are set on a particular breed but don't like some of the characteristics then you should look for an adult dog that you will know how it is and look for the exception dog.

Flower, this isn't a raw food debate.

Traps said:

"Well, i see one on a daily basis and its loud, never stops barking and fits the breed description perfectly."

He is basing his info off ONE dog.

I used two examples with the SAME logic.

Reading comprehension will set you free, but thanks for your priceless info.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Flower, this isn't a raw food debate.

Traps said:

"Well, i see one on a daily basis and its loud, never stops barking and fits the breed description perfectly."

He is basing his info off ONE dog.

I used two examples with the SAME logic.

Reading comprehension will set you free, but thanks for your priceless info.

I love it when you toss that in, great discussion tactic.   :)

You should check your reading comprehension.
   ;)

your examples aren't listed as a characteristic are they?  Unlike what Traps said:   

Well, black people are another story...
as for the dogs, i'm not saying all tibetan terriers will be this way. HOWEVER, what he is describing fits the breed description to a T.  The dog i see on a daily basis is a nice dog, but loud as all hell. My pit bull doesn't bark. Amen.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »

I love it when you toss that in, great discussion tactic.   :)

You should check your reading comprehension.
   ;)

your examples aren't listed as a characteristic are they?  Unlike what Traps said:   

You make zero fucking sense.  You don't even read.  Traps said that in REPLY to my example.  Seriously, how delusional are you?

I don't even believe in the fact that every breed that is "typically and stereotypically" yappy or defensive or independent or whatever, has to fit that description.

He used one fucking dog to base his opinion on.  WITH THAT LOGIC, every 18 year old black kid in my city is a criminal.  He says Tibetan Terriers are yappy because he knows ONE DOG THAT IS.

READ FLOWER READ

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »
I did not use ONE dog to base my opinion off of.  I see one on a daily basis and its very loud and fits the breed description perfectly.  I have exncountered other tibetan terriers and they're loud as well.  I just referenced the one i see on a consistent basis.  Nice dog, loud as hell, fits the breed description. 

Lets think about my pit bull for a second.

From Dogbreedinfo.com:

That sly smile, those determined eyes, that unwaning pleasure to please... the mere quality and characteristics of the APBT have evoked more human emotional, rational, and irrational response than any other breed that exists today.  By no means are these dogs people-haters or people-eaters. Their natural aggressive tendencies are toward other dogs and animals, not people. However if they are properly socialized they will not even be aggressive with them. These are truly quality companions for quality owners only! The American Pit Bull Terrier is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet, which is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, it is always eager to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of vitality. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death. It is usually very friendly, but has an uncanny ability to know when it needs to protect and when everything is okay. The American Pit Bull Terrier can be willful and needs a firm hand. They are generally okay with other pets if they are raised with them from puppy hood.  For the most part they are very friendly, but not recommended for most people. Excellent with children in the family, they have a high pain tolerance and will happily put up with rough child play. As with any breed, they should not be left alone with unfamiliar children. Originally used as fighting dogs, the powerful American Pit Bull may go for the throat of strange dogs. A minimum of training will produce a tranquil, obedient dog. Socialize very thoroughly when young to combat aggressive tendencies and be sure to keep the dog under control when other dogs are present. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, this is a very good dog and a great family companion. Unfortunately, some choose to promote the fighting instinct in the breed, giving it a bad name.

Everything i put in bold would be the points where my dog fits the breed description exactly.  the one part i italicized i disagree with because pit bulls are HORRIBLE gaurd dogs, don't bark and are so friendly with strangers that pit bull breeders often have to buy other dogs to protect their champion pits from being stolen.  Now, is every pit this way, no.  is it an overall somewhat accurate description of the breed? yes.  So in this instance, the breed description is valuable and accurate.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »
Sigh

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »
I don't understand what you have against breed descriptions man.  they are, if nothing else, a good indicator of what you are getting.  Remember that the domesticated dog is essentially a controlled experiment by which the desired genes are bred with other desired genes (traits).  Thus, a breed description would be pretty concise most of the time, right?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2008, 09:48:13 PM »
I don't understand what you have against breed descriptions man.  they are, if nothing else, a good indicator of what you are getting.  Remember that the domesticated dog is essentially a controlled experiment by which the desired genes are bred with other desired genes (traits).  Thus, a breed description would be pretty concise most of the time, right?

I am not saying they have no basis whatsoever.  But they are not 100% true and not 100% an accurate representation.  If a dog comes from a breeding program that is breeding dogs to adhere 100% to the standard, then yes you more than likely will have such a dog.  But at the same time, just because a dog is an Akita for example does not make it dog aggressive.  I also do not believe that a Tibetan Terrier has to be yappy, and if it is, just because it is a Tibetan Terrier, does not mean it can't be taught/guided to be "not yappy".

My problem with that stuff is when people go "Oh hes protective cause hes a Rottie", "Oh she howls cause its a Beagle", "Oh yeah hes a pitbull he doesn't like other dogs".

No....people say all those things because they are idiots!  Your dog can be exactly the way you want it to be, more or less, or you can usually significantly alter unwanted behaviors.  If Mindspin has a high strung, yappy dog, he can do alot to help fix that.  The fact that is a Tibetan Terrier is not the issue.

Alex23

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2008, 09:49:59 PM »
Do you have a garage?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2008, 03:53:28 AM »
Who ever said breed descriptions were 100% accurate or true, temper?   You said they were illogical to use.   I think they are illogical not to use or consider when deciding on a breed of dog.  If their are certain traits you want in a dog, or definitely don't want in a dog you can look closer into certain breeds and stay away from others, or at least know what you may be getting into and decide to accept that.

The fact that dogs were breed over years for certain traits and behaviors is the very reason that it can be difficult to "change" a dog.  People get a herding breed then get pissed that it tries to herd the kids.  Or a yappy dog that was bred to be an alarm for intruders.  You don't get that dog planning on "changing" it, you better be prepared to accept or deal with the fact that you might not be able to get rid of the behavior.   Rat terriers, for instance, are usually very energetic.  Don't get a rat terrier if you want a dog that is very calm and think you will just dominate it into being docile. 

Aren't you the person who has said that people get a pit and are clueless on how it needs a more dominant person for it's temperament and characteristics? That people get it and think they can treat it like a small dog and they end up with problems because they were lax in training and discipline?  Isn't that "illogicial" by what you have you have said in this thread?
  ::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2008, 03:58:16 AM »
You make zero fucking sense.  You don't even read.  Traps said that in REPLY to my example.  Seriously, how delusional are you?

I don't even believe in the fact that every breed that is "typically and stereotypically" yappy or defensive or independent or whatever, has to fit that description.

He used one fucking dog to base his opinion on.  WITH THAT LOGIC, every 18 year old black kid in my city is a criminal.  He says Tibetan Terriers are yappy because he knows ONE DOG THAT IS.

READ FLOWER READ

You read, he didn't base it on one dog, he based it on breed descriptions that he has read (written by people that have experience with the breed) AND that he has personally interacted with a dog that matched the expert descriptions.

So what exactly is wrong saying the experts say most XYZ breed will have these characteristics and the dog they have personally dealt with did fit that description, so it seems your dog is fitting the typical breed characteristics?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
I am not saying they have no basis whatsoever.  But they are not 100% true and not 100% an accurate representation.  If a dog comes from a breeding program that is breeding dogs to adhere 100% to the standard, then yes you more than likely will have such a dog.  But at the same time, just because a dog is an Akita for example does not make it dog aggressive.  I also do not believe that a Tibetan Terrier has to be yappy, and if it is, just because it is a Tibetan Terrier, does not mean it can't be taught/guided to be "not yappy".

My problem with that stuff is when people go "Oh hes protective cause hes a Rottie", "Oh she howls cause its a Beagle", "Oh yeah hes a pitbull he doesn't like other dogs".
No....people say all those things because they are idiots!  Your dog can be exactly the way you want it to be, more or less, or you can usually significantly alter unwanted behaviors.  If Mindspin has a high strung, yappy dog, he can do alot to help fix that.  The fact that is a Tibetan Terrier is not the issue.

Ok, if you don't believe those things then you are missing the link between breeding standards and the dogs themselves.  Rottweilers are bred to be protective.  Beagles howl and bay from being bred for hunters.  These are selective traits that have been bred into the dogs for a certain purpose and for the most part, you can't just "change" them, or train them to your standards all of a sudden.  If  that were true, why would so many pit bull experts say that even the most well socialized and dog friendly pit never be left off leash with other dogs it doesn't know well?  Because they were bred to fight other dogs, its in the genes.  Why do sheps herd people's kids?  Its in the genes.  Why do yappy dogs yap? its in the genes.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »
Ok, if you don't believe those things then you are missing the link between breeding standards and the dogs themselves.  Rottweilers are bred to be protective.  Beagles howl and bay from being bred for hunters.  These are selective traits that have been bred into the dogs for a certain purpose and for the most part, you can't just "change" them, or train them to your standards all of a sudden.  If  that were true, why would so many pit bull experts say that even the most well socialized and dog friendly pit never be left off leash with other dogs it doesn't know well?  Because they were bred to fight other dogs, its in the genes.  Why do sheps herd people's kids?  Its in the genes.  Why do yappy dogs yap? its in the genes.

First off, Flower no offense but when it comes to behavior I don't read your posts and don't plan on it.

Secondly, please show me an "expert" who says what I bolded.  Don't make ridiculous statements like that.  And now you are going to google and try to find some random shit on the internet.  I am not missing a link between breeding standards.  Most of the time breeding is done based on the physical aspect of the dog, unless the breeder is doing so for working purposes.  You aren't going to find breeders of show dogs that have Rottweilers with extremely high drives, because it isn't necessary.

"These are selective traits that have been bred into the dogs for a certain purpose and for the most part, you can't just "change" them, or train them to your standards all of a sudden."

LOL yes you can.  Here is another idiot who believes "Oh well you can't leave the pitbull alone with other dogs because its a pitbull".  You just proved that by the statement about "Experts" believing what I bolded.  That is complete and total absolute 100% fucking bullshit.

For the 500th time.  PITBULLS ARE TRAINED TO BE DOG AGGRESSIVE FROM BIRTH.  THEY DO NOT COME OUT OF THE WOMB AND ATTACK EVERY DOG THEY SEE.  THEY ARE NOT GENETICALLY DOG AGGRESSIVE DOGS.  PITBULLS HAVE A HIGHER LEVEL OF GAMENESS AND THIS IS WHAT IS BRED INTO THEM AND WHY THEY ARE SELECTED FOR THE PIT.  IT IS NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE A GENETICALLY DOG AGGRESSIVE BREED.

Get it through your head.

edit:  And now that you think about it.  What dog should be let off a leash around other dogs it doesn't know well really?  Unless you KNOW KNOW the dog.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
First off, Flower no offense but when it comes to behavior I don't read your posts and don't plan on it.

Secondly, please show me an "expert" who says what I bolded.  Don't make ridiculous statements like that.  And now you are going to google and try to find some random shit on the internet.  I am not missing a link between breeding standards.  Most of the time breeding is done based on the physical aspect of the dog, unless the breeder is doing so for working purposes.  You aren't going to find breeders of show dogs that have Rottweilers with extremely high drives, because it isn't necessary.

"These are selective traits that have been bred into the dogs for a certain purpose and for the most part, you can't just "change" them, or train them to your standards all of a sudden."

LOL yes you can.  Here is another idiot who believes "Oh well you can't leave the pitbull alone with other dogs because its a pitbull".  You just proved that by the statement about "Experts" believing what I bolded.  That is complete and total absolute 100% fucking bullshit.

For the 500th time.  PITBULLS ARE TRAINED TO BE DOG AGGRESSIVE FROM BIRTH.  THEY DO NOT COME OUT OF THE WOMB AND ATTACK EVERY DOG THEY SEE.  THEY ARE NOT GENETICALLY DOG AGGRESSIVE DOGS.  PITBULLS HAVE A HIGHER LEVEL OF GAMENESS AND THIS IS WHAT IS BRED INTO THEM AND WHY THEY ARE SELECTED FOR THE PIT.  IT IS NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE A GENETICALLY DOG AGGRESSIVE BREED.Get it through your head.

edit:  And now that you think about it.  What dog should be let off a leash around other dogs it doesn't know well really?  Unless you KNOW KNOW the dog.

Pitbulls are indeed dog agressive out of the womb unless they are socialized, this is a known fact.  they instinctively know to go for the neck, the gameness only increases their ability to do damage.  Unless you socialize a pit bull from a young age, it will most likely be very dog aggressive.  You also don't have to teach a pit bull how to fight, they know how because its in their genetic makeup.  i work with a pitbull rescue group, i work with the spca, i know my shit.   You can chose to accept this or not.  what we are dealing with is commonly referred to by experts as "prey drive," an instictive trait that was bred into bullies. 

You're also missing the point of this.  I'm not saying every dog is exactly the breed description, but there are factors at work that go down their genetic makeup that do indeed have a larger impact on their personality and behaviors than any amount of training, socialization or therapy. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2008, 09:41:10 AM »
You quoted Traps but are replying to me?  Seems if you don't read my posts you wouldn't have anything to reply to.    :D    You not reading them would explain you talking out of your ass though.  Either read them and make a reply that goes along with the discussion, or don't reply at all.

You have worked yourself into such a tither that you have went off the original discussion just to try and "prove" something.    ;D

LOL!!!!
;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2008, 10:35:39 AM »
If I want an ankle biter....I will get a Chi

;)