Author Topic: Societies worse off when they have God on their side  (Read 17857 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Societies worse off when they have God on their side
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
sorry, maybe I misunderstood what you  were trying to say

so you're saying we need to construct this idea in order to control ourselves?

as a society we still do.  That's what i'm saying.   Maybe some day we won't but not now.

I mean, look, just look at this board and the politics board.  There are some pretty stupid people with some pretty stupid ideas of right and wrong aren't there?  Just think of what it would be like if God really didn't exists for them?

Greed.......greed would justify murder, theft, suffering......

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2007, 08:14:50 PM »
Who knows? But the fact remains that church attendance is almost non-existent in many countries.

This isn't about church attendance.  It's about belief in god and the consequences for your actions in this life.

The vast majority of people who don't go to church who are not atheists believe in God, obviously, but also believe in consequences after death for their actions in life.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2007, 08:21:02 PM »
as a society we still do.  That's what i'm saying.   Maybe some day we won't but not now.

I mean, look, just look at this board and the politics board.  There are some pretty stupid people with some pretty stupid ideas of right and wrong aren't there?  Just think of what it would be like if God really didn't exists for them?

Greed.......greed would justify murder, theft, suffering......

honestly I don't think we need religion anymore, at least not in the sense that we think about it in the West

I don't think we need to make up stories about a God that will punish us

we need to move beyond this

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2007, 08:25:12 PM »
honestly I don't think we need religion anymore, at least not in the sense that we think about it in the West

I don't think we need to make up stories about a God that will punish us

we need to move beyond this

No doubt. I agree.  I would love religion to be totally private.  I would love for people to do things becuase they are right and not becuase of the threat of hell. 

however.....

Tell that to your average person who's presented with a moral dilemma....

I'll bet you that  they are mostly guided by morals based on the religious doctrine of going to hell if you do bad things.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2007, 08:42:34 PM »
No doubt. I agree.  I would love religion to be totally private.  I would love for people to do things becuase they are right and not becuase of the threat of hell. 

however.....

I'll bet you that  they are mostly guided by morals based on the religious doctrine of going to hell if you do bad things.   

so we're back to the 1% of you who don't need it and the 99% of those who do

I think we need something better

I mean

as long as were making stuff up

right?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »
When one looks at the United States, even though Religion is deeply intertwined in our culture so is hypocrisy. People came here to avoid religious persecution, yet applied their own set of rules to the native peoples. It was stated that this country is for the free, yet they had slaves.  Certain men were considered 3/5th of a man, but yet his woman was "all woman" in the bed room. And lets not start on Manifest Destiny...And many of this was done all under the guise of Christianity. It is not religion, but men who try to control religion.

"The primary commitment of politicians is not religion, but the use of religion for political purposes. What really breeds violence is political differences...authentic religion is the search for the deeply real and is the greatest humanizing force we have"
----Hudson Smith

Well said!  :)

The more dogmatic a society, the more twisted & perverse it's members become.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »
With the exception of the gender inequality, how does this apply to Mormon society?  Look at how much wealth they've amassed in less than 200 years.

Where are they located? Oh yeah, ...they're at the heart of Network Marketing Ground Zero. nuff said.  8)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2007, 11:22:06 PM »

however.....

I can't speak for anyone else, but that doesn't describe my beliefs at all.  I don't have a solid moral compass because I'm afraid to go to hell.  In fact, I'm not afraid of hell at all.  I believe what I believe and do what I do out love.  I get a great deal of satisfaction from the way I live my life and enjoy the many promises I've found in God's word.  I sleep like a baby.  I look forward to each day.  It really isn't about fear at all for me. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2007, 02:46:37 AM »

however.....

My family and I, and the Christians I'm surrounded by have absolutely no fear of hell.  How could we have any fear of hell when the Christian faith is precisely that Jesus has saved us from hell and that salvation in Jesus is perpetual?  We serve God and we serve people out of love for God, out of obedience to God and out of love for people.  We serve God and we serve others following the example that Jesus gave us.  We look for opportunities to help others and finding those opportunities and being able to help is rewarding and satisfying.  It pleases God and it pleases those we serve. That's all.  As a consequence, our service to God and to people helps society in the end.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2007, 06:36:22 AM »
That includes. Europe, Asia,  S. America and Africa. 

Societies would crumble with out religion.

I don't need it, you don't need it i guess, actually you might  ::), but 99% of the world's population does.

Look at the recent murder of Benazir Bhutto.

By a religious zealot.

Did religion stop that person from killing her?

Did religion stop Gandhi from getting murdered by a fanatic?

No offence, but I think religion, as well as political dogmas, have been the excuse for not only murders, but oppression as well.

As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2007, 08:50:52 AM »
I made no claim when I posted the story and the link to the study and even the author of the study said he was not making any cause and effect claims. 

The very title of this thread, "Societies worse off when they have God on their side", is a bold claim, whether yours or not.  That's the claim I am talking about, and the study is flawed as I showed.

Also most if not all of the other things the you mention, i.e the Holocaust, the mass murders by Stalin, etc... were mostly about eliminating perceived enemies of the state, dissidents, and etc... 

It doesn't matter.  The point is that secular people, by law it seems, always bring up the Crusades and the Catholic Spanish Inquisition to criticise Christians when these secular people know very well that those conflicts were political and more about power, wealth and property than they were about religion.  Yet, they fail to acknowledge that a few secular, modern people shed far more blood in much less time than the many religious people of the past.  Very convenient.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
This is the old trick; atheism killed all these people, they like to claim.  ::)

No, the old trick is secular people always bringing up the Crusades and the Catholic Spanish inquisition to criticises all Christians, or all religious people for that matter, when only a few modern, secular people killed many more in much less time.

A) Dogma killed all those people, not the absence of belief in something or being too skeptical of unfounded claims.

Not religious dogma for sure.  Those responsible did have an absence of belief in God.

B) If people in the 16th and 17th centuries had had access to 20th century technology, I guarantee those numbers would be up there.

Right.  When was the last Crusade?  When was the last Inquisition?  So modern Christians are more civilized than modern, secular people?  Gotcha!   ;)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2007, 09:14:40 AM »
Look at the recent murder of Benazir Bhutto.

By a religious zealot.

Did religion stop that person from killing her?

Did religion stop Gandhi from getting murdered by a fanatic?

No offence, but I think religion, as well as political dogmas, have been the excuse for not only murders, but oppression as well.

i agree and at the same time it is part of the moral fabric that holds society together

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2007, 09:15:59 AM »
My family and I, and the Christians I'm surrounded by have absolutely no fear of hell.  How could we have any fear of hell when the Christian faith is precisely that Jesus has saved us from hell and that salvation in Jesus is perpetual?  We serve God and we serve people out of love for God, out of obedience to God and out of love for people.  We serve God and we serve others following the example that Jesus gave us.  We look for opportunities to help others and finding those opportunities and being able to help is rewarding and satisfying.  It pleases God and it pleases those we serve. That's all.  As a consequence, our service to God and to people helps society in the end.

Why do you do these things?   Why follow orders?  Why accept Jesus? 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2007, 09:18:30 AM »
Why do you do these things?   Why follow orders?  Why accept Jesus? 

Not for fear of hell for sure.  I have no fear of hell.  If you think that's what Christianity is truly about, then your are wrong, no offence.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:13 AM »
Not for fear of hell for sure.  I have no fear of hell.  If you think that's what Christianity is truly about, then your are wrong, no offence.

I didn't expect you to admit it.  But i think that is a core reason for many Christians, whether they consciously admit or not, is that they do not want to burn in hell, therefore because they know if they can't as born sinners ever be perfect for God, they accept Jesus.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:55 AM »
The very title of this thread, "Societies worse off when they have God on their side", is a bold claim, whether yours or not.  That's the claim I am talking about, and the study is flawed as I showed.

I said in the beginning of this thread (as did the author of the study) that it was by no means definitive or even proved cause and effect.  It was, more than anything, a initial observation or jumping off point.   You didn't "prove" any flaws, you just included the HDI which it's own creator called a "vulgar measure", because of its limitations, it nonetheless focuses attention on wider aspects of development than the per capita income measure it supplanted"

The HDI measures the average achievements in a country in three basic dimensions of human development:

1.A long and healthy life, as measured by life expectancy at birth.

2. Knowledge and education, as measured by the adult literacy rate (with two-thirds weighting) and the combined primary, secondary, and tertiary gross enrollment ratio (with one-third weighting).

3. A decent standard of living, as measured by the log of gross domestic product (GDP) per capita at purchasing power parity (PPP) in USD.

None of these things were the subject of the study referenced in the article which looked primarily at:  murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide - all things that one might surmise would be less is societies that claim to be more religious  - again the author was NOT claiming proof of cause and effect

The HDI appears to be focused on economic development while the first study looks at what could be viewed as moral or ethical development - the very thing that religion is supposed to improve

It doesn't matter.  The point is that secular people, by law it seems, always bring up the Crusades and the Catholic Spanish Inquisition to criticise Christians when these secular people know very well that those conflicts were political and more about power, wealth and property than they were about religion.  Yet, they fail to acknowledge that a few secular, modern people shed far more blood in much less time than the many religious people of the past.  Very convenient.

You're the one who mentioned the crusades and inquisition as two things that most would think were of a religious nature yet, according to you - were more about power, wealth and property ..... yet the more modern atrocities were somehow NOT about power, wealth and property but more about the failure of secularism???

How can you have it both ways??

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »

do you think that non christians (jews, muslims, hindu's and the garden variety athiest) should fear hell?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2007, 09:38:04 AM »
No, the old trick is secular people always bringing up the Crusades and the Catholic Spanish inquisition to criticises all Christians, or all religious people for that matter, when only a few modern, secular people killed many more in much less time.

Not religious dogma for sure.  Those responsible did have an absence of belief in God.

Right.  When was the last Crusade?  When was the last Inquisition?  So modern Christians are more civilized than modern, secular people?  Gotcha!   ;)

Off topic, but I'll be watching History of the World Part I (for about the 10th time) this morning.  "The Inquisition . . . what a show . . ."   :D  

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »
I didn't expect you to admit it.  But i think that is a core reason for many Christians, whether they consciously admit or not, is that they do not want to burn in hell, therefore because they know if they can't as born sinners ever be perfect for God, they accept Jesus.

Admit it?  LOL   ;D

OzmO,
if you, or even if a Christian for that matter, thinks for one minute that Christianity truly is about fear of hell, then you are both wrong.  I have absolutely no fear of hell.  That is ridiculous.  You've said it yourself, that faith in Jesus Christ is a "free out of jail ticket" or something like that.  If to a Christian faith in Jesus Christ is truly a "free out of jail ticket", then why would a Christian fear "jail" at all if that Christian holds the "ticket"?  My faith in Jesus Christ saves me from hell for ever.   Therefore I can't possibly fear hell, even if I wanted to.

You have proved time after time that you, unfortunately, don't have a clue what Christianity is truly about, no offence.  It's okay, I've met a few Christians who don't have a clue either.  But the Christians on this board do know.  As for non-Christians on this board, the only one that has proved to have a clue what Christianity is truly about is Hedgehog.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2007, 09:45:58 AM »

If to a Christian faith in Jesus Christ is truly a "free out of jail ticket", then why would a Christian fear "jail" at all if that Christian hold the "ticket"?  My faith in Jesus Christ saves me from hell for ever.   Therefore I can't possibly fear hell, even if I wanted to.

cart before the horse??

first Christians have to be convinced/indoctrinated that they are destined for eternal hell AND that the ONLY way to avoid this is if they accept JC as their saviour

once "saved" they have no reason to fear hell ....they've got their ticket into heaven

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2007, 09:48:51 AM »
Admit it?  LOL   ;D

OzmO,
if you, or even if a Christian for that matter, thinks for one minute that Christianity truly is about fear of hell, then you are both wrong.  I have absolutely no fear of hell.  That is ridiculous.  You've said it yourself, that faith in Jesus Christ is a "free out of jail ticket" or something like that.  If to a Christian faith in Jesus Christ is truly a "free out of jail ticket", then why would a Christian fear "jail" at all if that Christian holds the "ticket"? My faith in Jesus Christ saves me from hell for ever.   Therefore I can't possibly fear hell, even if I wanted to.

You have proved time after time that you, unfortunately, don't have a clue what Christianity is truly about, no offence.  It's okay, I've met a few Christians who don't have a clue either.  But the Christians on this board do know.  As for non-Christians on this board, the only one that has proved to have a clue what Christianity is truly about is Hedgehog.

I think we are having a language issue again.

why would a Christian fear "jail" at all if that Christian holds the "ticket"?

That's why he chooses to hold the ticket in the first place.  for fear of hell.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2007, 09:50:15 AM »
cart before the horse??

first Christians have to be convinced/indoctrinated that they are destined for eternal hell AND thatthe ONLY way to avoid this is if they accept JC as their saviour

If that's how some Christian that you know became a Christian, so be it.  That is not how I and many others became Christians.  Some Christians don't even know about hell until after they've become Christians and start reading the Bible and going to church.

once "saved" they have no reason to fear hell ....they've got their ticket into heaven

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the claim was that Christians abstain from evil and do good out of fear of hell.  Then you and I agree this is not true.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2007, 09:51:49 AM »
I think we are having a language issue again.

why would a Christian fear "jail" at all if that Christian holds the "ticket"?

That's why he chooses to hold the ticket in the first place.  for fear of hell.

Why would we have language issues?

See my last post above.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2007, 09:55:17 AM »
Why would we have language issues?

See my last post above.

You are dancing around again.

Back to this:

That's why Christians choose to accept Jesus in the first place...to avoid hell.