Author Topic: My stab at 225 lbs for reps!  (Read 16125 times)

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
Re: My stab at 225 lbs for reps!
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
I used straps so that grip would not be a limiting factor.  Stupidly, I did not crank them down.  IF I try again I will crank the mothers down and I will, of course, have adapted a touch from the first workout and should be good or another 10 reps or so.  We shall see.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »
           P.S. I had a mild heart attack at 29 while squating so please don't fool yourself it does happen.

If you don't mind sharing, what caused it?  Are you okay as far as living a long life now?  Any limitations?  I had my own scare thsi past summer as well but came up clean.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2007, 11:41:59 PM »
If you don't mind sharing, what caused it?  Are you okay as far as living a long life now?  Any limitations?  I had my own scare thsi past summer as well but came up clean.

That was a lie I threw in for dramatic effect.

sorry.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2007, 11:43:57 PM »
   That was a lie I threw in for dramatic effect.

sorry.

I figured that, but I was so busy nailing my supermodel maid while counting my millions that I didn't say anything.

driverant

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
Lol, man, it KICKED MY ASS!  What really sucks is that I didn't bother to really get the straps tight because I didn't think grip would be the limiting factor, but that is exactly what happened.  The last 10 reps it felt like I was losing the bar. 

Anyway, here is the video:

I got 58 reps.  I think if I do it again I could get more.  It is just a matter of acclimating to stupidly high reps.

Chris

Even with a shirt on, you have clearly more quality muscle than adonis, no way adonis can do 112 reps :P or even 58 for that matter

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2008, 07:19:01 AM »
Lol, trust me when I tell you Adonis never did 112 reps with 225 lbs unless you count about 10 workouts all added together.

The guy cleary has access to a camera as is evidenced by his YouTube videos.  He never posted any videos of him lifting because he is unable to do what he claims.  He did get into good shape for the GetBig contest, that is about it.
w

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2008, 07:35:48 AM »
brutal 13 inch arms, skinny legs and receding hairline at age 32.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
Why do you keep giving Chris a hard time?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2008, 07:45:23 AM »
Why do you keep giving Chris a hard time?
because i like it.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
You know I was thinking about it today; this really is an extreme event.  It's scary because it's a light enough weight to really get your reps up for most people, but it's a big enough exercise to require total-body effort and I think there really is a large chance of injury with this one; or at least a pretty good chance for passing out if you take it to your limit.  If you'll notice both serious contenders have gone into their "all-out" trials with artificial stop-blocks in place...Magoo with his perceived cardiac limitations and Chris with his straps undone.  Now ask yourself why he'd want to try this without straps.  It's because subconsciously he knows that he could potentially push himself farther than he's ever gone in his life on this feat which is not unlike the physical abyss; I'm serious, if you actually took this to absolute failure there are lots of systems/bodyparts/muscle attachments that could be pushed past anything you've ever known and the shit can get spooky if your mindset is strong enough to push to the end.  "The end" would probably be unconsciousness as opposed to not being able to budge the bar off the floor anymore, especially when you're at the 40+ rep range. 

So what I'm saying is that this is an extreme event and there may be some sick bastards coming out of the woodwork to try this as time goes by and it catches on more; I think the deadline should be pushed back to at least Valentines' day; wait til you see the coming entrant attempts; this thing could seriously get sick... 

Also another thing to consider is that as more and more people post videos doing higher and higher reps, it will open up our perceptions; I'll bet that already Zach doesn't think 30 is so many anymore; I bet next time he digs in and gets at least 40 and you don't gain like that unless your overall perspective has changed as far as what is "possible" or even "acceptible" depending on where he sees himself relative to Chris Mason. 

Someone is going to die doing this!!!! :-X :-X :-X

Oh well at least it will be on tape! ;D

Seriously, people BE CAREFUL. (AS POSSIBLE)

TA TA
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »
It is interesting to think that if, God forbid, any getbiggers did die during the lift, they could become internet legends if their training partner were to post it online.

If some Getbiggers die look at the positive side- more bandwidth for the survivors. :)
The House that Ruth built

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2008, 04:22:33 PM »

Hairline = bad
Arms = pretty good
Qauds = ok
Calves = puny
w

Has Beens

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
Very impressive Chris.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
w

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
Thank you.
how do u feel u can improve on this?
follow the arrows

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
how do u feel u can improve on this?

What do you mean?  Do you mean how can I get more reps?
w

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
What do you mean?  Do you mean how can I get more reps?
what did you learn from doing this, what could you improve on or do better this time? Things you could focus on more? shit like that.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2008, 04:58:41 PM »
to get more reps, yes, ofcourse.
follow the arrows

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »
to get more reps, yes, ofcourse.

That's a dumb question to ask. I'm sure Mr. Mason thinks he can get more, but the point is that whole Adonis 225 for 115 reps thing has been blown out of the water.

I suggest you focus on eating more calories and hit the weights hard, haider.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
Chris, I have a question -

As you know your DL 1RM (or at least can calculate it using your 10RM, etc)...

Can you create a formula for estimating one's max number of reps with 225, using their 1RM, 5 RM, or 10RM?

I know there are a lot of factors like endurance, etc... but if anyone could do the math and estimate one, I thought it'd be you.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »
That's a dumb question to ask. I'm sure Mr. Mason thinks he can get more, but the point is that whole Adonis 225 for 115 reps thing has been blown out of the water.

I suggest you focus on eating more calories and hit the weights hard, haider.
I believe the question was posed to chris mason, I'm still waiting for his answer.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
I believe the question was posed to chris mason, I'm still waiting for his answer.
Since he's not replying let me reply to your question.

First of all, you assumed you knew why I was asking the question. I don't care about what Adonis did or did or not do (he's full of shit, doesn't take a genius to figure that out), what I do care about is what is named the "Adonis" youtube challenge. I mentioned before that I was interested in giving the challenge a shot, so I was asking chris about his experience so I could learn a bit more.

Even if I wasn't doing this competition, it's an interestin question to ask nevertheless. For you to step in and try to dictate what I should be asking/doing is a pretty rude thing to do.

Happy new year, good luck with the goals you have set out to acheive.  :)
follow the arrows

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »
Since he's not replying let me reply to your question.

First of all, you assumed you knew why I was asking the question. I don't care about what Adonis did or did or not do (he's full of shit, doesn't take a genius to figure that out), what I do care about is what is named the "Adonis" youtube challenge. I mentioned before that I was interested in giving the challenge a shot, so I was asking chris about his experience so I could learn a bit more.

Even if I wasn't doing this competition, it's an interestin question to ask nevertheless. For you to step in and try to dictate what I should be asking/doing is a pretty rude thing to do.

Happy new year, good luck with the goals you have set out to acheive.  :)
Meltdown.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »
Meltdown.
goddamnit I had planned on putting that at the end to automatically secure myself from cracker fvcks like you  >:(

Are you gonna give the other competition a shot? or this one?
follow the arrows