Author Topic: ANY OF YOU GUYS DO OVERHEAD PUSH PRESSES?????  (Read 2965 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
ANY OF YOU GUYS DO OVERHEAD PUSH PRESSES?????
« on: January 02, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
thinking of getting up out of the seat and doing some push presses again for a change, haven't done 'em in awhile, how many of you guys do them and how do you like 'em?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: ANY OF YOU GUYS DO OVERHEAD PUSH PRESSES?????
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »
thinking of getting up out of the seat and doing some push presses again for a change, haven't done 'em in awhile, how many of you guys do them and how do you like 'em?
the only shoulder press i do is standing,i always felt they did more for me than seated.

bench

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:42:40 PM »
the only shoulder press i do is standing,i always felt they did more for me than seated.

bench
push presses or strict?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
push presses or strict?
both,i really like using a very wide grip on a ez curl bar and i bring it down to about my nipples and push up almost to a lockout.and the bar contours the movement allot better than a standard bar.

bench

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:33:53 PM »
I use seated and standing bb presses..I go very strict..absolutely no bouncing through the legs at all..my shldrs have always lacked proportionate size in relation to the rest of my body...not anymore..i've placed a lot of emphasis on them by adding diff. presses into the mix..

cht868

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
i do them b4 my dumbell presses, kind of like a warmup, great structural exercise that directly loads the spine

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »
i do them once in a while.

i also clean the bar from the floor when doing seated shoulder presses, i hate shoulder benches with racks.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »
Always push presses cleaned from the floor.  I love em.  I feel like the whole body is working and shoulder size has not suffered.  Bring it up from the floor.  Rest it on the upper chest and get the legs moving, drop under the weight while pushing it up, lock, drop to upper chest and repeat.  5x5 on these is great. 
Squishy face retard

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
Any of you guys do standing bradford presses?  It's probably my favorite pressing motion and the only one I can get a real good feel with.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 08:36:53 AM »
Hope we are talking about true Push Presses. Where the bar will rest more on the heel of the hands (thumbless grip) rather than on the pads/palm of the hands. With the bar resting on the heels of the hand the pressing force (push) is more inline with the wrist/forearm, giving more direct power to the lift. With a regular pressing grip, it is not and there may be too much strain on the wrist themselves, when heavier weights are used. This will also apply to the bench press, for some men prefer a thumbless grip.(the BP has gone up for some men with this style...Caution, a good spotter(s) may be required).

As a general rule, you will use more weight in the push press. There is also a slight knee motion with that exercise. Most men will find that they get a  better, more solid position on the push press, when it's off the rack/stands, etc.. The Jerk press, which a lot of football players include in workouts, is that much more of a knee and dip action than even the push press.

One of the better workouts of overhead presses is starting with the regular press (somewhat strict) for one or two sets. Then the next one or two sets, adding weight, do Push Presses. And the final one or two sets, adding weight, do jerk presses. And if you wish (though not really needed) drop the weigh back down to the original weight used on the regular press and see how many reps you can do. All these are to be done off a power Rack or a version of the same. Outstanding pump is included, when working out this way, for the upper body. You should be buying new shirts in 1 or 2 month if doing these pressing styles with serious intent.

The Bradford Press (Jim Bradford..old time Olympic lifter?), as LatsMcGree suggest, is also a very good exercise for the whole shoulder girdle. Though not meant for every one. Really need a complete warm-up/stretch before attempting this one. It's a combo of front and behind the neck pressing styles in one exercise.

Of course if you want a complete shoulder/trap workout than do cleans (off the floor) and jerk presses. Two or three sets should do it for anyone. 8-12 reps for BB'ing. 4-6 for power as a general rule. Good Luck.
F

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
once a month or so just for a change standing military presses you need good balance
p

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »
Everyother workout I change my presses, but they are ALWAYS done standing:  Military Press and Standing Dumbell Press.  Trying to stay as strict as possible on both...
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 04:17:35 AM »
I prefer Seated Brdaford Presses........bad lower back.

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:22:52 AM »
Always do them on shoulder day.  Feel they work my shoulders better then previous excercises.  Also good for good useable strenght having to clean the weight and balance while pressing .  I love them :D

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 05:58:34 AM »
I often did clean and jerk, push press as a part of my training.
It is a hang over from my judo days but on the last sets I actually get a rush where my ears buzz and my vision fades to grey.
I love it, but I hurt my rotor cuff badly 3 months ago doing it and have only just recovered.
I think I am to old for them  :-\
But for mobile strenght I think they are brilliant

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »
If there is undo strain on the lower back when doing overhead lifts (presses, push-presses, DB presses, etc.) than bend the knees slightly and place one foot ahead (or back) of the other. Also a complete lockout overhead can also cause extra stress on the lower back if the potential  for back trouble is present..If having a bad lower back, than  seated presses may add even more stress for some. The overhead weight can be transfered down  to the pivot point of the lower back. Which is really not needed. A shoulder/pressing bench may help some in this regard.

A few sets of GoodMornings and serious ab work can relieve a lot of back problems for most. Good Luck.
F

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
If there is undo strain on the lower back when doing overhead lifts (presses, push-presses, DB presses, etc.) than bend the knees slightly and place one foot ahead (or back) of the other. Also a complete lockout overhead can also cause extra stress on the lower back if the potential  for back trouble is present..If having a bad lower back, than  seated presses may add even more stress for some. The overhead weight can be transfered down  to the pivot point of the lower back. Which is really not needed. A shoulder/pressing bench may help some in this regard.

A few sets of GoodMornings and serious ab work can relieve a lot of back problems for most. Good Luck.
Excellent points.  I olympic lifting is big over hear , so you learn to correect form pretty quick.  Never lock out the arms and broken stance are two big points for saving the injuries.

Mick

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
did 'em yesterday and loved 'em, i'm going to keep them in the rotation for awhile and try to hit 315 by the end of the year.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »
did 'em yesterday and loved 'em, i'm going to keep them in the rotation for awhile and try to hit 315 by the end of the year.
315...that's a lot of weight ...what weight did you use yesterday? What rep range? Strict or momentum through the lower half of body? Currently, I am hitting 175 for 3 x 8...very strict form...slight staggered stance and absolutely no drive through the lower half..I love this exercise :)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
315...that's a lot of weight ...what weight did you use yesterday? What rep range? Strict or momentum through the lower half of body? Currently, I am hitting 175 for 3 x 8...very strict form...slight staggered stance and absolutely no drive through the lower half..I love this exercise :)
last set was 3 with 235, after 5 with 225 after warming up, they felt good once i got into the groove, and i meant that i would like to hit a 315 single by December or so.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
last set was 3 with 235, after 5 with 225 after warming up, they felt good once i got into the groove, and i meant that i would like to hit a 315 single by December or so.
sounds good..you using a leg drive or strict shldr pressing? Just curious..

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
sounds good..you using a leg drive or strict shldr pressing? Just curious..
oh i'm DEFINITELY using leg drive, i'll clarify that from the get go, no fuccking way on earth could i strictly standing press 235, i use a little bit a knee dip and drive the bar up and try to lock out hard.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 06:01:39 PM »
oh i'm DEFINITELY using leg drive, i'll clarify that from the get go, no fuccking way on earth could i strictly standing press 235, i use a little bit a knee dip and drive the bar up and try to lock out hard.
Yeah, that's what I figured...just checkin, haha...I never know on this board :)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »

Just make sure you drive your head forward hard once the bar clears it.  Helps lock it out for sure.

Jason

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »
Good numbers Dave!