Author Topic: Sometimes, This Board Is Scary!  (Read 6222 times)

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Re: Sometimes, This Board Is Scary!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 04:01:05 AM »
The responces here are just classic!  I wish I could man-up like you all...
Personal attacks for a "be careful" warning to newbies???  Come on! 
I'm curious, show us some "dangerous" advice that has been given out here.
If 66,6% of the posts here are bad, you should have no trouble finding something.
$

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 05:41:54 AM »
If 66,6% of the posts here are bad, you should have no trouble finding something.

Your arms grow as you grow.

Curls do not make you grow.

squats, presses, rows, pulls, and food make you grow.

When people stop and stare at you on the street because you are that jacked, when you are competing at a national level, worry about a 'bicep routine'.

Until then, you need to worry about your entire routine.

**How's this statement for dangerous?  Not training the weakest link WILL cause injury...thus dangerous.  Someone was asking a question and wanted REAL advise...
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

untamedsense

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 05:45:50 AM »

If you have only been lifting for a year, you are worried far too much about details that don't matter.

Squat 500+ pounds, then worry about your chest.

**Here's another...do I really NEED to go on? 
Do people not read what is written or is it SO ridiculous to all the "experts" that they think the newbies (asking for help) will understand how ridiculous the advise is and not do it?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 07:45:26 AM »

Popular theory from the old daze, something unproven. I got a couple of inches on arms from direct arm work, not from squats. Compound exercises might help, might not it's completely subjective.

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »

When people stop and stare at you on the street because you are that jacked, when you are competing at a national level, worry about a 'bicep routine'.

**How's this statement for dangerous?  Not training the weakest link WILL cause injury...thus dangerous.  Someone was asking a question and wanted REAL advise...
::)
Arms get plenty of indirect work. For some it's enough to grow. No real risk there.

If you have only been lifting for a year, you are worried far too much about details that don't matter.

Squat 500+ pounds, then worry about your chest.

**Here's another...do I really NEED to go on? 
Do people not read what is written or is it SO ridiculous to all the "experts" that they think the newbies (asking for help) will understand how ridiculous the advise is and not do it?
Lol. So you think a newbie will run to the squat bar, and gets ready for 500?

I'm not saying that every post here is gold. But a lot of good stuff on here which people can think about and try out. If a newb comes he usually gets solid advice.
Claiming "66,6%" bad posts was just rediculous of you. 
$

untamedsense

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 08:48:39 AM »
Faust you're probably correct in my percentages...
I guess what the biggest thing I have a concern with is I thought this was a Training Q&A board...and ALOT of the time it reads like a JackAss board...with smartassed answers and things that are waaaaay off base.  There are other places for this type of stuff...
It's not hard for someone who is "lost" and trying to figure things out to read bad or "jackass" information and get confused or worse yet:  frustrated.
I don't know it all and never will, so I don't post my opinions unless I'm pretty damn sure that what I'm saying will work for "the masses" not for what someone else does just because...plus, sometimes there has been so much crap written that good advise that I've read can get lost.
My history in the gym goes back to 1976...does that mean I'm a monster, perfect or know it all?  No.  And, I'm assuming that other's are the same.
I'm done with this because frankly it's just all BS by people who think the more they say the better they are...
To all the people with good information:  Carry on and thanks for the good insights.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 08:54:26 AM »
I guess what the biggest thing I have a concern with is I thought this was a Training Q&A board...and ALOT of the time it reads like a JackAss board...with smartassed answers and things that are waaaaay off base.  There are other places for this type of stuff...
It's not hard for someone who is "lost" and trying to figure things out to read bad or "jackass" information and get confused or worse yet:  frustrated.
I don't know it all and never will, so I don't post my opinions unless I'm pretty damn sure that what I'm saying will work for "the masses" not for what someone else does just because...plus, sometimes there has been so much crap written that good advise that I've read can get lost.
My history in the gym goes back to 1976...does that mean I'm a monster, perfect or know it all?  No.  And, I'm assuming that other's are the same.
I'm done with this because frankly it's just all BS by people who think the more they say the better they are...
To all the people with good information:  Carry on and thanks for the good insights.
got any pictures of yourself posted?

untamedsense

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »
got any pictures of yourself posted?

Ok Squad...I'll post a picture so you can use it when you wrap a hand around yourself!
To anticipate further questions, I'll just answer them:
No...I don't know my measurements I haven't ever put a tape to myself.
No...I've never competed and don't plan to...I love the process and don't need the competition.
I won't list weights for lifts because they don't matter as long as they work for me. 
I'm 5'10", 233# (weighed in today for you Squad!) and will be 44 in March.
And, sorry Squad...I like innies and not outties so you'll have to look elsewhere! :)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »
Well, like I said feel free to put your .02 in here since you think it is a horrible place.  So far you've contributed nothing so let's see what you got.  There are many different pieces of advice here and many people have used them with success.  It seems, like someone else mentioned, that you disagree with training advice and that is fine, but it doesn't make it wrong.  Squadfather swears by flat bench and Bob Chick swears by inclines.  Does that make one of them wrong?  Some think leg press is the way to go and others squats, who is "right"?  I haven't read any legitimate posts that could be done and have injury follow.
Squishy face retard

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 02:16:23 PM »
I get the feeling that getbig is probably not the board for you.
$

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 02:17:45 PM »
Ok Squad...I'll post a picture so you can use it when you wrap a hand around yourself!
No...I've never competed and don't plan to...I love the process and don't need the competition.
I won't list weights for lifts because they don't matter as long as they work for me. 
And, sorry Squad...I like innies and not outties so you'll have to look elsewhere! :)

Epic "39 posts and The SquadFather owns my mind" meltdown

Jason

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »
56% of all statistics are made up.

Actually, 82% of people think that 56% of statistics are made up, but the truth is, 64% of statistics are made up. 

Hope this helps...
~

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 08:04:20 PM »

If you think squatting, pressing and pulling are dangerous, I assume you are looking for the mall walking forum, not getbig.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
I know there's alot of good info on this board, but from what I read, unfortunately, it's only 33% of the info that's correct and/or good. 
To beginners and/or those who really want help:
Take the advise here with a gain of salt!  Some things will get you discouraged, hurt or just plain waste your time...

Do us all a favor and STFU.  you've contributed ZERO to this board.  Until you have contributed a lot of solid training info, your bitching means nothing.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
Someone was asking a question and wanted REAL advise...

It sounds as if most of the people in this thread are asking exactly how and why you are qualified to be so critical of so many while offering no retort or constructive contribution of any kind to this thread.

True, not all information here is good.
But when you start running your mouth the way you are, you’d better be prepared to back up what you say.
If you don’t, these guys will shit all over you.

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
Some of the questions on this board are scary, and they are usually the same ones.

dudes come in here and want beach muscles. It doesn't matter what others say to them they just keep asking in a different way if their 6 day a week bi/chest split is good. They won't work legs, they won't work back, just bench and curls... they won't listen to input even though they ask for it

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »
But I'm convinced there are people out there who just read and learn, just like I did back in the day.

I miss when the biggest asshole posting here was Supplement Guru.

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »

Interesting theory, I know several people (as I'm sure you all do) who have only ever worked chest and bi's with some good results. (over 22 years :) )

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:07 PM »
Depends on how you define 'good'.

I've seen folks who have built decent 'beach bodies', kinda like those Abercrombie models.

I don't think that's impressive, other than the low bodyfat.  I guess girls seem to like it.  I'm not a girl, so I wouldn't know.  I get by on my personality and wit.

I've never seen anyone go from 150 pounds to 225 pounds doing primarily curls.  Seen lots of them doing primarily squats. 

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »

I've seen folks who have built decent 'beach bodies', kinda like those Abercrombie models.

I don't think that's impressive, other than the low bodyfat.  I guess girls seem to like it.  I'm not a girl, so I wouldn't know.  I get by on my personality and wit.

I've never seen anyone go from 150 pounds to 225 pounds doing curls. 

You've never seen someone add 75 pounds of muscle on their arms ..... newb  ;D

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 07:58:14 PM »

hahaha nice pic, you should hang out with JOELOCO, he's 50 or so, like you, divorced twice and he , as you, claimed to pull some marvelous weights back when he was a kid.

kill yourself too.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 10:55:37 PM »

I've never seen anyone go from 150 pounds to 225 pounds doing primarily curls.  Seen lots of them doing primarily squats. 

i've never seen anyone who was concerned about building their physique neglect curls and be satisfied with their results.

if you want bigger arms, work your triceps and biceps. if you want a big chest, bench with dumbbells. if you want to move more weight, squat and deadlift.

there's this weird school of thought where people say "all you need to do is three big lifts, if you're new ignore the isolation work" and it's just plain and simple bullshit. it's something people say to sound like they know more about training than anyone else. i even once saw someone write "if your arms are under 19 inches, don't do direct arm work" which is a little like saying if you need to work on your backhand in tennis, don't work on your backhand.

for the record, if you plan on rowing and deadlifting heavy and you AREN'T working on your biceps with isolation work, i hope you enjoy getting it reattached after it tears. that's called a "weak link" on those moves, particularly your underhand arm on the pulls.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 04:01:57 AM »
I never said don't do curls.

I said don't worry much about them until you have build a base of size and strength, which you do via squats, presses, rows, chins, etc.  A set or two of curls (any kind) a couple of times a week will do the trick quite well until you step on a stage and a judge tells you to bring your biceps up.

Yes, you need to train to ensure you don't create imbalances or injury.  However, I would dare say that if you are rowing enough to tear a bicep, you are probably at the point where you advanced enough to worry about specific training for them.  If you add weight to basic lifts gradually over time (especially if you train those lifts frequently), you most likely won't have an issue.  I've never met someone who tore a bicep doing barbell rows with 225 pounds (or 315 pounds, for that matter).

I disagree with you on your school of thought suggestions.  If you are new, there is absolutley no reason to focus on isiolation work, and little reason to do much of it.  If you look around, guys with big arms have what?  Big benches, big rows, big squats, big deadlifts (again, assuming your definition of big is the same as mine - Brad Pitt in Fight Club was not 'big').  Yes, to go from 181/2 to 19 inch arms, you'll have to do some curls, most likely.  But to go from 14 inches to 17, you really don't need to worry about them. 

As i've said before, you need to worry about being all over small before you worry about a bodypart being small.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2008, 05:49:14 AM »
Interesting theory, I know several people (as I'm sure you all do) who have only ever worked chest and bi's with some good results. (over 22 years :) )

Of course.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2008, 05:49:57 AM »
I never said don't do curls.

I said don't worry much about them until you have build a base of size and strength, which you do via squats, presses, rows, chins, etc.  A set or two of curls (any kind) a couple of times a week will do the trick quite well until you step on a stage and a judge tells you to bring your biceps up.

Yes, you need to train to ensure you don't create imbalances or injury.  However, I would dare say that if you are rowing enough to tear a bicep, you are probably at the point where you advanced enough to worry about specific training for them.  If you add weight to basic lifts gradually over time (especially if you train those lifts frequently), you most likely won't have an issue.  I've never met someone who tore a bicep doing barbell rows with 225 pounds (or 315 pounds, for that matter).

I disagree with you on your school of thought suggestions.  If you are new, there is absolutley no reason to focus on isiolation work, and little reason to do much of it.  If you look around, guys with big arms have what?  Big benches, big rows, big squats, big deadlifts (again, assuming your definition of big is the same as mine - Brad Pitt in Fight Club was not 'big').  Yes, to go from 181/2 to 19 inch arms, you'll have to do some curls, most likely.  But to go from 14 inches to 17, you really don't need to worry about them. 

As i've said before, you need to worry about being all over small before you worry about a bodypart being small.

You've got an opinion, that's all. ;)