Author Topic: Ever ask why???  (Read 7002 times)

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
  • 1 DiRty Dawg eat dawg world...
Ever ask why???
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
Just curious, i had this chic ask my why i put myself through 5 -6 grueling workouts a week, diet, take supplements and gear........ honestly, I don't know why, obviously part of the answer is because we like how we look and feel, but in this day and age with so much fake stuff, chance of infections and getting in trouble with the law, is it worth it?

Do we have some shallow, pschological issues that we feel the need to be superior to others???

BringItOn33

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Ever ask why???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:30:07 AM »
So what other drugs are u on ?

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:43:32 AM »
Just curious, i had this chic ask my why i put myself through 5 -6 grueling workouts a week, diet, take supplements and gear........ honestly, I don't know why, obviously part of the answer is because we like how we look and feel, but in this day and age with so much fake stuff, chance of infections and getting in trouble with the law, is it worth it?

Do we have some shallow, pschological issues that we feel the need to be superior to others???

Did you ask her why girls get their boobs done, put on make up, shop for the latest fashion, always obsess of being "skinny"? Anything else I missed?

If you dont know why you are lifting, eating and using gear, you need to have a serious talk with yourself. We all have our own reasons. Mine? I do this because I was an athlete my whole life and when that ended, found I acutally liked bodybuilding and being fit and muscular. The gear, training, food, etc, is just means to accomplish that look and feel.

Would you rather be a couch potato, fat, out of shape? Then you wont even get a girl to talk to you  ;)

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »
Busy B, i had a serious talk with myself and we wound up in a fight...lol

I understand your point and you are right, i guess i should've rephrased, we can still get in "decent" shape, without using gear and taking it to the level of obsession we do. don't get me wrong, i am going to continue doing all of the above, it was just a thought as to why some people are obsessive, some people do it in moderation and some people choose not to do it at all such as the lazy, fat, couch potatoes you speak of. i think i am safe in a assuming there are some dudes on here that do it for their own reasoning, not neccessarily for girls. I"m sure some guys are married and don't plan on cheating and still take it to the next level.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »

DirtMcGirt,

Personally, I've freed myself from any delusions in regards to my motivations for lifting, using AAS etc....

I am a strength athlete and I lift because I get euphoria by pushing major weight and moving maxes...

I don't lift for size or for a certain look.

To be quite honest, my size probably deters as many women from being attracted to me as it does draw them to me.

Many women don't like excess muscle on a guy, they'd rather have the "metro" look.

I'm not a bodybuilder and I don't have cut abs.

I do this because I have a love for it and what it feels like to be stronger than your average guy.

There's intrinsic value in that, something you can't make up for with money or looks.

The type of women I tend to be attracted to are more interested in my mind, and the muscle is only a bonus.

That's how it works.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:29:59 AM »
Busy B, i had a serious talk with myself and we wound up in a fight...lol

I understand your point and you are right, i guess i should've rephrased, we can still get in "decent" shape, without using gear and taking it to the level of obsession we do. don't get me wrong, i am going to continue doing all of the above, it was just a thought as to why some people are obsessive, some people do it in moderation and some people choose not to do it at all such as the lazy, fat, couch potatoes you speak of. i think i am safe in a assuming there are some dudes on here that do it for their own reasoning, not neccessarily for girls. I"m sure some guys are married and don't plan on cheating and still take it to the next level.

LOL, who won the fight? :D

As for obsession, I believe this is a lifestyle and I could not imagine living any other way. Not just for the physical appearance but how I feel when I am training, eating well, etc is worth more to me than big muscles. I have always been a type of person that puts all he has into something and I admit, bodybuilding can take over your life if you are not careful and have some balance.

As for the girls, shit, never had a problem with the ladies anyway :D but have had some that think I look "gross". To me, they look gross if they are not in shape or at least try to be!

Lots of people live their own "lifestyle" and we humans are such creatures of habit. I am thankful I have been working out since I was a teen and now my friends in their 30's are calling me up asking me advice on how to get in shape. Either their doc told them they need to start exercising or they are just tired of getting fat from inactivity or tired of being depressed, etc.

As we get older, I think it is much harder to take up this lifestyle, hence all the "Resolution" people in the gyms right now.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
LOL, who won the fight? :D

As for obsession, I believe this is a lifestyle and I could not imagine living any other way. Not just for the physical appearance but how I feel when I am training, eating well, etc is worth more to me than big muscles. I have always been a type of person that puts all he has into something and I admit, bodybuilding can take over your life if you are not careful and have some balance.

As for the girls, shit, never had a problem with the ladies anyway :D but have had some that think I look "gross". To me, they look gross if they are not in shape or at least try to be!

Lots of people live their own "lifestyle" and we humans are such creatures of habit. I am thankful I have been working out since I was a teen and now my friends in their 30's are calling me up asking me advice on how to get in shape. Either their doc told them they need to start exercising or they are just tired of getting fat from inactivity or tired of being depressed, etc.

As we get older, I think it is much harder to take up this lifestyle, hence all the "Resolution" people in the gyms right now.

It's easier to maintain if you have been lifting your whole life......

Can't imagine just starting up in your thirties........what a nightmare.

I actually should probably take a week off here or there so my body can adequately heal, glycogen can restore etc.

For me it's just a routine, a feeling and I can't go without it.

I don't get that euphoria from anything else.

DIV

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:55:45 AM »

It's easier to maintain if you have been lifting your whole life......

Can't imagine just starting up in your thirties........what a nightmare.

I actually should probably take a week off here or there so my body can adequately heal, glycogen can restore etc.
For me it's just a routine, a feeling and I can't go without it.

I don't get that euphoria from anything else.

DIV

Agree, and you always come back stronger when you take a week off. I have always been a big advocate of rest! Can't grow or heal if you are constantly breaking down.

But yes, hard to do which is why I do more outside stuff like moderate hikes that week or light bike rides.

Anytime you want to hit Sqaw Peak, let me know Div! I might be winded after 2 minutes, but I can hang...LOL!!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »
I agree with the rest.  I'm in my 30's and I always take a week off every 12-16 weeks.  I come back fresh and really strong after taking that break.  It's hard as hell staying out of the gym for a week, but it's worth it.

BringItOn33

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »
I understand this is more then a hobby to some but when it comes to training i like to do push ups around hot girls because it makes me stronger and i feel like a new man with arms the size of most guys heads. Women have the mind power to make me stronger and they feed it to me when i look up at them on my 50th rep and BAM they give me the edge over any man/women/beast/frogs ..

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »
you guys proved the exact thing i was trying to prove, this working out this is our life. I started a simple thread and the last reply was based on how much rest each individual guy takes. I don't understand, i look in my closet and all i have is baggy crazy colored pants and sweat shirts with the necks cut out. I have problems buying suits (for work) because of the imbalance of my size which society dictates as a normal body type. I'm just really getting fed up with waking up in t he middle of the night to get in some protein. spending countless hours doing cardio and in the gym. If i don't get a  shot in on time, i get aggravated and for what is the question i have? believe me, i'm not going to stop doing it but it just make me wonder some times.

Think about it Div, your comment of moving weight being Euphoric, that sounds sick to the average person. if you step back and look at your life as an outsider you can only wonder what people look at you and say, me for one if i eat McD's i hate myself the next day, when you have these fat fucks at the drive thru everyday, what is it that causes this drive, if my veins aren't seen in my abs i immediatly start to revamp the diet, who does this? not a normal human thats who....

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »
you guys proved the exact thing i was trying to prove, this working out this is our life. I started a simple thread and the last reply was based on how much rest each individual guy takes. I don't understand, i look in my closet and all i have is baggy crazy colored pants and sweat shirts with the necks cut out. I have problems buying suits (for work) because of the imbalance of my size which society dictates as a normal body type. I'm just really getting fed up with waking up in t he middle of the night to get in some protein. spending countless hours doing cardio and in the gym. If i don't get a  shot in on time, i get aggravated and for what is the question i have? believe me, i'm not going to stop doing it but it just make me wonder some times.

Think about it Div, your comment of moving weight being Euphoric, that sounds sick to the average person. if you step back and look at your life as an outsider you can only wonder what people look at you and say, me for one if i eat McD's i hate myself the next day, when you have these fat fucks at the drive thru everyday, what is it that causes this drive, if my veins aren't seen in my abs i immediatly start to revamp the diet, who does this? not a normal human thats who....

We should not be the minority and everyone should live a lifestyle of eating small meals more often, exercising. Sad thing is, too many people would rather work themselves to death and their health is secondary.

To sum up your comment about everyone else, we are a society driven by marketing and most people get their nutrition and fitness info from TV. I know at my high school we never had a nutrition class and if you wanted to learn about fitness and living a healthy lifestyle, you had to search out that info in college. Society just does not know better so they look at us as weird.

I look at us as "lucky" we found our passion for looking and FEELING good! Yes, I question it all sometimes too and gets tiresome but look at the alternative, you could be that guy in the McD line wishing you were in shape  :-\

By the way dirt, we need to update your workout wardrobe if you still have Zubas and rag tops! Just kidding...

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
i don't understand what is wrong with my workout wardrobe, i just got the new hot pink, gray and turquise baggies from crazee wear.. lol I'm only kidding with the wardrobe, wanted to see if you guys were awake...

but i am getting sick of these people that don'trealize the negative effects of white bread and white flour and white rice, these people are so out of touch, if i have egg whites with a couple slices of bacon, people look at me like i'm nuts. or if i eat peanut butter people tell me how fattening it is, it's amazing how out of touch people can be. I see these idiot girls eating weight watcher and lean cuisine tv dinners along with soup and ramin noodles thinking they are dieting. Yogurt loaded with sugars as far as the eye can see. even coming in with packs of brown sugar oatmeal because it is called "weight control"...

I'm fed up with all this nonsense

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
i don't understand what is wrong with my workout wardrobe, i just got the new hot pink, gray and turquise baggies from crazee wear.. lol I'm only kidding with the wardrobe, wanted to see if you guys were awake...

but i am getting sick of these people that don'trealize the negative effects of white bread and white flour and white rice, these people are so out of touch, if i have egg whites with a couple slices of bacon, people look at me like i'm nuts. or if i eat peanut butter people tell me how fattening it is, it's amazing how out of touch people can be. I see these idiot girls eating weight watcher and lean cuisine tv dinners along with soup and ramin noodles thinking they are dieting. Yogurt loaded with sugars as far as the eye can see. even coming in with packs of brown sugar oatmeal because it is called "weight control"...

I'm fed up with all this nonsense

Do you have Otomix high tops with puffy socks? Then your wardrobe is complete!

Again, society gets their info on nutrition from the idiot box (tv). Advertising is king with the general public's info on healthy eating, unfortunatly.

Keep up the good fight Dr. Dirt!  8)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »

I stopped trying to understand what the average person thinks in terms of fitness.

Euphoria from pushing major weight is like nothing else for me, except maybe rough sex.....but that's another topic.

I don't eat fast food, so I don't have guilt issues.

Have been known to eat a gallon of ice cream at a time during a cheat day though.

I get an idea of what the average person thinks when I train clients, and they are misguided for the most part.

Fad diets, 6-minute abs, ab-rollers...........eh..... :P

They don't realize it takes consistency and hard work to lose fat and harden up until you obligate them to do it.

They have to undergo it in order to understand it.

To do that, they have to give up many of the very comforts that made them fat in the first place.

Most average people aren't willing to do that.

DIV

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »

Personally speaking, it's best not to ask, lol!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »
I've always had a competitive nature about me.  I want others to fail and I generally do not like people, in fact, I pretty much hate people.  When I look at someone I just see everything that is bad about them.

Errr...sorry just watched There Will Be Blood, good old Daniel Plainview ;)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 02:05:05 PM »
I've always had a competitive nature about me.  I want others to fail and I generally do not like people, in fact, I pretty much hate people.  When I look at someone I just see everything that is bad about them.

Errr...sorry just watched There Will Be Blood, good old Daniel Plainview ;)

i pretty much agree with this exactly...i am extremely competitive and have been all my life because i believe of being an athlete and now with limited activities to portray my competitiveness i turn to lifting wieghts and i compete with everybody to get bigger stronger and faster and better and with it healthier...i have never done gear but i prob will someday  ;)   i love lifting with buddies cause it pushes me to lift more and harder i love the way i feel working out and afterwards and i live for the fridays and saturdays when its chest day and then that night you go out to the club and your chest is all pumped up or arms if it was arms day and its like i just challenge people to even look at me...i dont know if this makes any sense to anyone else...but this was a great thread...

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
i pretty much agree with this exactly...i am extremely competitive and have been all my life because i believe of being an athlete and now with limited activities to portray my competitiveness i turn to lifting wieghts and i compete with everybody to get bigger stronger and faster and better and with it healthier...i have never done gear but i prob will someday  ;)   i love lifting with buddies cause it pushes me to lift more and harder i love the way i feel working out and afterwards and i live for the fridays and saturdays when its chest day and then that night you go out to the club and your chest is all pumped up or arms if it was arms day and its like i just challenge people to even look at me...i dont know if this makes any sense to anyone else...but this was a great thread...

Do you wear your 3rd grade shit at the clubs to look bigger too?  ;D

I remember in the late '90s guys wearing those tight, skin like shirts with tiny sleeves so their arms look twice as big.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
no i dont have any 3rd grade shirts..hahaa but i know what your saying...im usually just in a regular fit button up or sometimes polo but i just love it and everything about it....

DirtyDirt

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 07:40:40 AM »
thanks for the kudos on the thread and for the cat that said he hates "everybody", to some degree i follow you. I don't want to say i hate everyone, but in the gym there are a handful of people i'd rather not see. I"m the guy that plugs in my ipod and usually won't stop it till i'm done with my routine, on occassion i'll stop and bs a bit but for the most part it's business as usual. but there are a couple dudes in they gym that irk the hell out of me. i often ask myself, "is today the the someone gets smashed in the face with a 10lber or do i toss a 45 at them?" I will elaborate, and i would love for others to share the people they can't stand in their gyms so i don't feel left out

1st) dude is 5'7 prob 175lbs and lean, he's one of the most balanced guys i've ever seen but is always flexing his abs in the mirror, out of all the people i will call out, he is one that deserves to be a little cocky, but he's way past "a little"

2nd) spanish dude, hair pulled back in pony tale, wears baggys and tank tops, he's been working out 2 years that i know of, he looks like he's never lifted a weight in his life but he wears the belly bag and walks like he's the shizzy, His partner is #3

3rd) spanish dudes partner, this cat is about 160 pounds, in 1 1/2 years i've yet to see him do one movement properly, he was doing incline db presses with 25s and struggling but yet walks around and shows others how to train "properly"

4th) he's actually a friend, the guy does cardio for days, trains heavy, takes every ounce of gear and gh imaginable, says he diets but his body always looks the same. but yet he tells me to get certain gear because "it works great", how does he know it's great? his body always looks the same.

5th) the clearly gay guy that's always giving me goo goo eyes, i can't talk about him further because i get grossed out.

6th) the women that spend hours upon hours on bikes and doing aerobics but won't lift a weight because they don't want to "get muscular", they'll go home and eat 6lbs of fruit and "fat free cake"

Now i feel better i vented...

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 01:38:47 PM »
Why do we do it??  Why indeed...

I think the answer, as many of you have yet to see, yet to realize, changes over time.

I picked up my first weight at age 13.  Dad bought me the old red, white and blue plastic-coated cement weights, with the skinny little bar and the huge metal bar clamps, and a flat bench.  I was hooked the minute I touched it.  For about 3 years, it probably was about trying to be competitive with other kids my age in the neighborhood. 

During highschool, I lifted for football.  But just after my sophomore year, while training with weights in the off-season, I joined a real gym for the first time.  Hard core, too, for the time (1980).  Saw the photos on the walls...Arnold...Padilla ...Mentzer...Sergio...Ro y Calender...Bertil Fox..I just went nuts for the whole thing.  Met alot of really serious lifters, got completely immersed in it, so much so that I decided not to play football for the last 2 years of highschool, and to just concentrate on lifting.  At age 16, I was clearly set in the "bodybuilding lifestyle."  The diet, frequent meals, the training, the proper rest.  And at this point my focus switched entirely internal.  I was no longer competitive with anyone but myself.  And some interesting things happened.  My grades, especially, went through the roof.  I applied the same principles to school that I applied to lifting.  My weight was probably around 200 by senior year (5' 9")

College was tough.  Premed in a very competitive program.  About 135 students started, and after 4 years only about 20 would get into med school.  But I was still able to lift.  I supplemented the school's gym with my own weights that I brought up there with me.  Every school break I went back home to my original gym, hooked up with my old lifting buddies.  Again, lifting kept me focused, scheduled and regimented.  I was either in the library or the gym.  Didn't drink, didn't do any drugs, although it was all around me, but my friends respected me for it.

Pretty much the same all through med school.  Lifting kept me focused, gave me energy. I ran the med school's gym, and actually created an awesome gym right in the basement of the dormitory.  We called it "the best kept secret on the East Side."  Stacked it out with TK Star, Polaris, everything.  I had an unlimited student activity budget at my disposal.  Funny thing is that everyone told me that once I started med school I'd never be able to find the time to lift again.  It was exactly the opposite, though.  I never lifted so much in my life!  I met fellow getbigger bravo there, and we became training partners.  That's around the time I first decided to try anabolics.   I was age 24.  I was now 245 lbs. I read everything about AAS and endocrinology I could get my hands on.  Developed my first truly "scientific" approach to bodybuilding.

Next, Residency.  One year of general surgery, four years of orthopaedic surgery.  Joined Mid City Gym in NYC, and went over the top.  Met IFBB pro's, met a guy who would become my powerlifting mentor, Paul "Zazu" Bruno, and WWF guys, etc.  Still lifted with bravo, and was now beyond balls-to-the-wall.  Only goal at that point was to be a freak.  Not for chicks, not for anyone...just for me.   The feeling of large tight muscles, the feeling of cold rough steel in your hands, the way the fu*king bar bends when your stacking it out at the squat or the flat bench.  Pure, unadulterated euphoria. That's what it was all about.  Did some more cycles, too, at this time.  I was now age 28. I was now 265 lbs.

Thirties were rough, though.  Fellowship (specialty) training.  Marriage.  Two kids.  Wife with severe postpartum depression.  Freaked out anytime I wasn't home.  Long hours at work. Stressful work.  I found a gym close to an office I was at one day a week, so I was still able to train, but it was minimal. Those were cold, dark days brothers.  I saw my weight gradually dwindle down to about 200 lbs.  Still managed to keep a clean diet, and still managed to hang on as best I could.  During that time, I lifted purely to survive.

Then at around age 38, things settled down a bit.  I found a gym that opens at 4:30am, so now I could finally lift before work.  And so I began to slowly reclaim my life.  Reclaim who I was.  Reclaim who I am. Slowly put together a gym in my house, too.  Got back to about four days a week training.  Back on track.  Carving out a little time just for myself.

Then cancer struck. 

Gotta tell ya.  I endured 10 surgeries, eight of them in one day.  Still, I only missed about 1 week of training.  Just enough to not have my incisions tear open.  I think that's when it really struck me as to how important lifting weights had become for me.  In fact, it IS me.  As soon as I was healed up, I started a return to anabolics.  I was age 40.  I weighed about 210 lbs.

So here I am.  43 years old.  Lifting 7 days a week.  230 lbs.  I feel fu*king great.  Diet is spot-on. I have r e t u r n e d.  And I've said this here before.  The one thread, the one common variable, that has allowed me to continually keep it all together at times that most others would crumple and fall, has been my training.

So why do we do it, you ask?

Because we have to.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
Wow, good stuff Freak!

We should make a mini series based on that post...

Can I ask, what kind of cancer? Glad to have ya' here bro... ;)

blowitup

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
I was getting ready to write my 2 cents on why I do it....then I read Freak's note and not only can I not agree more with him but I have very little to add....I tip my hat to you sir

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »
Hey freak bro thats some good shit you should write a book or something...but really glad you are here with us and thanks for the inspiration and god bless bro...