Author Topic: 5X5! Ever try it?  (Read 4715 times)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Re: 5X5! Ever try it?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:03:05 AM »
For a cutting/calorie restricted diet I would do either a 10X10 program or 3X whole body workouts. At this stage its very unlikely you will be putting on size so you need to concentrate on maintaining your mass. Stick to the big movements squats, deads bench etc. Stick to heavy weight and train hard. Do not go to light weight high reps - you are bodybuilding leave the high reps/low weight stuff to the aerobics classes.

Maintain your protein intake or slightly increase it to compensate from the (I assume) lack of carbs.
If the diet becomes a serious issue up your calories and add some extra cardio to compensate. This can be very effective at giving you a fuller look.

Regards,
A Pumpkinhead

dont you think that is most beneficial for weight loss?  i am on a very restricted diet right now also (carb cutting) im down to like 15 carbs a day (carbs in my protein shake) and i just went through one week of low weight very high reps like 4 total sets 2 of them at 10 reps and the other 2 at 30 reps and it was like going tpo failure on the last two sets and i hated it...i think i am going to bail on this regimen and give HST a try and do two workouts for every bodypart for 2 sets of 15 see how i like that...im just looking for something that will make my ass sweat and burn you know....

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »
dont you think that is most beneficial for weight loss?  i am on a very restricted diet right now also (carb cutting) im down to like 15 carbs a day (carbs in my protein shake) and i just went through one week of low weight very high reps like 4 total sets 2 of them at 10 reps and the other 2 at 30 reps and it was like going tpo failure on the last two sets and i hated it...i think i am going to bail on this regimen and give HST a try and do two workouts for every bodypart for 2 sets of 15 see how i like that...im just looking for something that will make my ass sweat and burn you know....
GVT then man.  Your muscles will kill and you will notice the difference.
Squishy face retard

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »

The basics of it are - how did you get the muscle in the first place? By lifting little weights or by hitting it hard and heavy. How are little weights going to keep it - quick answer is they are not!

To keep that hard earned muscle you need to keep hitting it hard. Ignore the mindset that you can't go heavy on a diet. That is false. I cut carbs down to 50grams a day when I was cutting and was still squatting 405lbs for reps etc.

Keep it hard and heavy and you will maintain your size

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »
GVT then man.  Your muscles will kill and you will notice the difference.

you think the whole 10x10 program is the answer huh..i will admit i dont know alot about it but i will look into...im willing to try anything and will usually give it its due time but this one im on now has to go for tomorrow...thanks cap

The basics of it are - how did you get the muscle in the first place? By lifting little weights or by hitting it hard and heavy. How are little weights going to keep it - quick answer is they are not!

To keep that hard earned muscle you need to keep hitting it hard. Ignore the mindset that you can't go heavy on a diet. That is false. I cut carbs down to 50grams a day when I was cutting and was still squatting 405lbs for reps etc.

Keep it hard and heavy and you will maintain your size

yea that is a good way to put it...i mean ill admit i ve still got a ways to grow but ive grown alot in the past 6 months or so with lifting hard and heavy every day...

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »
I personally avoided the program because of the low weights and one exercise philosophy but it works the muscles hard and it is a quick, intense workout which I think is good on low calories.  JPM likened it to interval training which works the muscels, heart and burns fat without touching muscle as much.
Squishy face retard

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
yea that is a good way to put it...i mean ill admit i ve still got a ways to grow but ive grown alot in the past 6 months or so with lifting hard and heavy every day...

Exactly. Hey I don't think any of us are going to reach our potential for a long time yet. Just keep the intensity high and the weights heavy and you will maintain your size while dropping bodyfat!

In regards to GVT. If you are going to try this I would recommend two exercises per body part and also go as heavy as you can for the 10 reps. It may seem like overkill but it works. Its not unheard of to do 20 sets for a bodypart!

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
Exactly. Hey I don't think any of us are going to reach our potential for a long time yet. Just keep the intensity high and the weights heavy and you will maintain your size while dropping bodyfat!

In regards to GVT. If you are going to try this I would recommend two exercises per body part and also go as heavy as you can for the 10 reps. It may seem like overkill but it works. Its not unheard of to do 20 sets for a bodypart!

man believe i know...i was doing a 5x5 routine for every workout and for back that was like 30 sets every time but i loved and i grew but now its time to shed some bodyfat cause i put some on trying to get bigger....i think i might try the full GVT if nothing else it sounds challenging..

roll_bigz

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »
I was always a proponent of the H.I.T. method and other variables of it.  But after reading a magazine article I decided to give 5X5 (5 reps, 5 sets) a try.  It is absolutely amazing.  I have never gotten such good gains so quickly.  A couple guys in the gym actually accused me of starting to juice. 

Anybody else have any experience with this method?  Or any advice on similar programs?

I love it.  I weigh 150 and after only a 3 month period of 5 x5s, I'm squating 240, and deading 255 for 5 reps.  These are exercises I had never done before.  My bench has increased from 185 max 5 reps to now 210 5 reps max.  I'm very happy with the increases in strength, but I definitely see some loss of deltoid definition, just because I'm not doing the volume of exercises anymore.  I really don't care for now!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »

The thing about HST is that after the 15 rep cycle you go to 10 and after than you go to 5...personally I find it optimal for dieting....
I hate the State.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »
I was always a proponent of the H.I.T. method and other variables of it.  But after reading a magazine article I decided to give 5X5 (5 reps, 5 sets) a try.  It is absolutely amazing.  I have never gotten such good gains so quickly.  A couple guys in the gym actually accused me of starting to juice. 

Anybody else have any experience with this method?   Or any advice on similar programs?

I love doing 5X5's, especially for chest & biceps.

I also like 10X10's.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »
I love it.  I weigh 150 and after only a 3 month period of 5 x5s, I'm squating 240, and deading 255 for 5 reps.  These are exercises I had never done before.  My bench has increased from 185 max 5 reps to now 210 5 reps max.  I'm very happy with the increases in strength, but I definitely see some loss of deltoid definition, just because I'm not doing the volume of exercises anymore.  I really don't care for now!

How tall are you?  I ask because 150 is pretty darn light.  Good lifts though for that bodyweight.

osakachero

• Getbig I
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 04:27:14 AM »
I notice some people using this 5x5 method for isolation/small muscle groups like biceps and shoulders.  I wouldn't recommend it for these, especially biceps.  The main idea is to do this method with large/compound excercises.  I only do it with benches, squats, deads, pulldowns, and rows.  I might be ok for a weighted dips but my gym doesn't have a weighted belt or a dip area for that matter so I can't say make a claim either way.   

As for doing it on a diet.  I used to be a 350 lard ass and I basically did this method (4x6) while dieting.  It helped me drop 150lbs but I lost a lot of strength doing so.  I think if you're on a bodybuilding diet, that is to say you're trying to cut some fat while maintaining muscle, I would stay away from this. 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 04:58:12 AM »
I notice some people using this 5x5 method for isolation/small muscle groups like biceps and shoulders.  I wouldn't recommend it for these, especially biceps.  The main idea is to do this method with large/compound excercises.  I only do it with benches, squats, deads, pulldowns, and rows.  I might be ok for a weighted dips but my gym doesn't have a weighted belt or a dip area for that matter so I can't say make a claim either way.   

As for doing it on a diet.  I used to be a 350 lard ass and I basically did this method (4x6) while dieting.  It helped me drop 150lbs but I lost a lot of strength doing so.  I think if you're on a bodybuilding diet, that is to say you're trying to cut some fat while maintaining muscle, I would stay away from this. 

Your both right and wrong.

I would use 5x5 with shoulders, but only doing military press or DB press. I do that, but keep the reps higher (around 8 or so) for lat raises.

I agree with your assesment on bi's. I keep my reps higer again (10-12) for bi's as i found that doing low reps just ended up hurting my arms in a bad way. But at saying that, tris (for me anyway) are totally different. I keep the reps low for tris (5-8) and i ALWAYS do weighted dips and then either close grip bench or skull crushers (total of around 8 sets for tris).
No doubt about it...

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
I am doing 5x5 for one DB row.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »
5X5's can be considered  Power BB'ing. In the true sense of this training method, the style is a little looser than normal. But suit yourself in this regard, do the exercises by the book if you wish. It can adapt very well to bicep/tricep, delts or even abs for that matter. Cheat (slightly to get the weight started..every rep of a set is cheat style)  curls can add thickness and a more rugged look to the biceps. (looks kind of cool when wearing short sleeve shirts and the lower belly of the biceps bulges out even when relaxed)  Lateral raises (for example), also in a slight cheat style, give delt thickness and mass. Start with the DB's in front of the body and swing them up to shoulder height. In any event, 5X5's can produce muscle mass, in a rather short period of time, if approached with serious intent.

The original purpose of  5X5's is to do only one exercise per body part. The main idea being to keep the workout  brief and to the point. And also to help with the recovery time between workouts. 5X5's can work well with a full body workouts, using only compound movements.  Usually the squat, bench and BB rows making up the program.  But adding extensions exercise (5X5's also) after a compound movement can work well also. Something like benches followed by flys, BB rows followed by pullovers, presses followed by lateral raises, etc, etc, etc.  Pick your poison, whichever  version works best for you.

With any Square Root program (5X5, 8X8, 10X10) you keep the reps to that amount. In doing 5X5's you find the weight too light or too heavy, allowing you to do more or less than the 5 reps, than lower or increase the weight on the bar. Another matter is , you do not want to go to failure on any rep. Even if it's the last rep of the last set.

A main problem is  that too many well meaning trainee's try to tweak a BB'ing program to suit their misguided needs. You do not do 4 rep or 6-7 reps on a 5X5 program because than you are not doing a 5X5 program. You are doing something else. And than when not getting the results you think you should have, you will blame that specific 5X5 program as being crap and wasted time invested.

This happens a lot with GVT (10X10) because quite a few people do not understand this simple protocol. Or get mistaken notions from people who know less than nothing or do not have the training experience, let alone give out advice. Sort of like the blind leading the blind. Good Luck.
F