Author Topic: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?  (Read 14929 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 08:02:08 PM »
I think mixing kids and dogs isn't always the best idea.  if the kids are born into a household that already has dogs, thats ideal.  I think it creates a greater respect of the animal among the children.  its ( the dog)  a constant and won't allow isolated incidents like a bite or a knockdown fom a neighbors or strangers dog to scare the child from dogs.  I would recommend a 5-10 year old large dog.  they are calm by that age, but still have a playful side.  Much younger they are still hyper, much older and they are starting to get stiff and arthritic.  I think pits and labs are a great choice.  Those are the breeds that i trust over all others, cuz they are amazingly calm and not mouthy. They are known for their grace with children.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 03:38:02 AM »
If and when...Scottish Deerhound will be at the top of the list...
I hate the State.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 04:45:03 AM »
Probably already been mentioned, but Labradors would have to be at the top of the list. I got one, cool dogs 8)
No doubt about it...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 05:58:14 AM »
Probably already been mentioned, but Labradors would have to be at the top of the list. I got one, cool dogs 8)

Bump for Dingo...
I hate the State.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 11:42:43 AM »
Golden Retriever
Labs

Golden Retrievers are great, my parents bred them for awhile when we were kids. Can also be very protective of kids.

We had a black lab, the only dog we ever had that only liked the family, even though he was socialized as a puppy (walked, met people/dogs) he did not like anyone else in his yard or at the house. Strange.

I have had good experiences with goldens, labs, pitbulls, great danes and mixed breed dogs.

Just make sure you can dedicate the time/effort required for a large dog.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »
Bernese Mountain dogs...work great with kids and other pets.

L

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 01:39:04 PM »
Bernese Mountain dogs...work great with kids and other pets.

I have to say a good choice.

I've been going to a few dog shows & the Bernese & Swiss Mountain dogs usually are in the same arena areas of the Rottweilers.  They seem very friendly & sweet.  Not too much seems to bother them.  The Mastiffs seem the same way.

Our Rottie is very sweet & lovable, but not too gentle.  If you're not careful, he'll knock you down because he's a complete wiggle worm & bumps into everything.  I worry about small kids with him because he really has no clue of his body size/weight.  He's knocked grown people over because of his excessive wiggling & lack of gentleness.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »
I have a rotty as well...the difference is the Berner can figure out how crazy they can go. She won't jump on kids but she loves to jump on me. My Rot is 11 and on her last legs..but she is a good dog. My golden is 7 and honestly is more ferosious then either dog. I need to post a pic of my berner for the dog of the month.
L

conan1071

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »
ENGLISH MASTIFF

English Mastiff - Also known as the Old English Mastiff, these dogs are one of the heaviest breeds.  Male Mastiffs can exceed 200 lbs. and stand as tall as 34"-36" at the shoulder.  The females are usually somewhat smaller.  They are very powerful, massive and muscular.  Mastiffs are gentle giants, intelligent, confident and watchful but patient with a gentle nature towards family and children.  Coat colors are varying shades of fawn, brindle or apricot.  The grooming of a Mastiff is minimal. 

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 10:12:45 AM »
english mastiff

ENGLISH MASTIFF

English Mastiff - Also known as the Old English Mastiff, these dogs are one of the heaviest breeds.  Male Mastiffs can exceed 200 lbs. and stand as tall as 34"-36" at the shoulder.  The females are usually somewhat smaller.  They are very powerful, massive and muscular.  Mastiffs are gentle giants, intelligent, confident and watchful but patient with a gentle nature towards family and children.  Coat colors are varying shades of fawn, brindle or apricot.  The grooming of a Mastiff is minimal. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 08:41:46 PM »
Given my likely schedule, living accomodations and personality I think I will go for the whippet. :) Pretty much a firm decision I have made.
I hate the State.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 06:19:37 AM »
Do you have the time and space for the exercise requirements of Whippets?

ps - accomodations  is accommodations   ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
Do you have the time and space for the exercise requirements of Whippets?

ps - accomodations  is accommodations   ;)

Parks are everywhere in the world and time...well...easily enough for an hour of exercise a day, maybe more.

I have been studying several breeds over the past few months and whippets in particular. I like the sighthound look second best beyond the spitz breeds ( I don't think the temperament of spitzes is well suited to me). Whippets have a reputation for calmness and gentleness, are good appartment dogs who don't need huge space (exercise isn't a problem just big space). They aren't loud (don't bark much) and are great companions. They have good health generally and short coats. The only thing they need is lots of love and enough exercise, I can give a whippet lots of those things. A friend of mine had a whippet. Super friendly and affectionate. Probably the best dog I have met (subjective of course).

I think its personality and disposition are best suited to me. Size isn't too big too. Will definitely get a male...and call him Hermes.... :)

Thanks, I make mistakes too and I freely admit it and am glad when they are pointed out.  ;)
I hate the State.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »
I thought you couldn't have dogs in your place and you planned on moving around the world for a few years so you weren't even close to thinking about a dog?

Quarantine laws for some places are like 6 months.  That sucks, and I wouldn't get a dog unless I knew I wasn't moving to another country. 

If you are planning on moving to a new country get the dog after you get there and after you have decided you want to spend the rest of your life there. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
I thought you couldn't have dogs in your place and you planned on moving around the world for a few years so you weren't even close to thinking about a dog?

Quarantine laws for some places are like 6 months.  That sucks, and I wouldn't get a dog unless I knew I wasn't moving to another country. 

If you are planning on moving to a new country get the dog after you get there and after you have decided you want to spend the rest of your life there. 

I am moving back to Europe by the end of the year. In the future, whatever moves I will be doing will only be on the European continent so taking a dog with me won't be a problem. I don't need to decide to spend the rest of my life in one country. I will likely be in the the UK for a few years and then leave and I will take the dog with me, be it France, Portugal, Denmark or any other place. I don't see it as an issue in Europe. Of course this is all subject to the vagaries of life. If my long term plan of European settlement doesn't seem to be going to work out, I won't get the dog. We'll see. 2 years approximately...till I get one...so some time to think....
I hate the State.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
2 years til you get one, okay, you can start deciding again then.   :)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »

labs are playful, nice, and agreeable, but i wouldn't call them gentle by any means. it's not out of malice, they're just over 70 pounds and very energetic. we had one when i was younger (big bastard, over 100 pounds), and while he was never EVER mean, he was destructive due to his size and energy levels. obviously with lots of training they can be more obedient, but i wouldn't call labs "gentle" by nature.

bulldogs i do agree with based on my admittedly limited experience and the reading i've done. probably because they're unable to do a whole lot of aerobic activity for long stretches and tend to lay around.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 06:31:37 AM »
bulldogs i do agree with based on my admittedly limited experience and the reading i've done. probably because they're unable to do a whole lot of aerobic activity for long stretches and tend to lay around.
Magoo, are you still getting a bulldog?  If so, we would like lots of pictures please :D
R

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 03:59:51 PM »
labs, and cocker spaniels are good too.  :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 05:50:59 PM »
labs, and cocker spaniels are good too.  :)

Cocker spaniels....never in my life.
I hate the State.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »
Magoo, are you still getting a bulldog?  If so, we would like lots of pictures please :D

well i'm still working on the logistics of it (money, place for 'im etc, sucks being in college). but you can bet if i pick one up i'll be putting up pictures and videos immediately. :D

body88

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »
well i'm still working on the logistics of it (money, place for 'im etc, sucks being in college). but you can bet if i pick one up i'll be putting up pictures and videos immediately. :D

Pm me if you need any help, I own a American bulldog...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Pm me if you need any help, I own a American bulldog...

if you could just give me a round figure on annual cost of ownership that'd be good enough. i've been buying a lot of books to make sure i know what i'm getting into, but first-hand experience is always helpful.

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »
why not a cocker spaniel? i know 2 people who had them, and they were very good. :(

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
why not a cocker spaniel? i know 2 people who had them, and they were very good. :(

Been bitten by two...bad experiences. Don't like the look either.
I hate the State.