Author Topic: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?  (Read 14762 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: What breeds have the reputation for being very gentle?
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »
The meltdown is so overwhelming I don't know what to do with myself.

Have a good night sweetheart.
Try suicide, apparently you can't handle the internet.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
Try suicide, apparently you can't handle the internet.

Holy shit, a line NOT stolen from Squadfather.

I'm so proud of you dude.  I almost want to come to your house so I can take the huge chain and master lock off your pitbulls neck and give him a treat as a reward for his daddy being so original.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2008, 09:34:44 PM »
Holy shit, a line NOT stolen from Squadfather.

I'm so proud of you dude.  I almost want to come to your house so I can take the huge chain and master lock off your pitbulls neck and give him a treat as a reward for his daddy being so original.
That would be hard to do, since she doesn't wear a chain or a lock.

Maybe I could come to your house and take the muzzle off your vicious "Rottie" and let her know what a flaming queerbait her daddy is. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
That would be hard to do, since she doesn't wear a chain or a lock.

Maybe I could come to your house and take the muzzle off your vicious "Rottie" and let her know what a flaming queerbait her daddy is. :D

Another stellar post from "chaos"  ;D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »

You obviously don't see the irony of what you are saying........

Yeah, thats exactly what I'm trying to say, yet apparently I've bumblefucked all over the place with it.   

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
I agree with all of this, and you are slamming me ( or trying to) and agreeing with me all in the same breath.  Just like I am claiming now, I am sure when Rotties were the "in" breed, in terms of popularity, that there were idiots who should not own one everywhere....EXACTLY like pitbulls and their owners today.

Dude, I'm not trying to put down or slam you or Rottweilers and if its come across as that I apologize.  I know a couple of Rotts I consider to be WONDERFUL family pets. 

I just see you spouting stuff about you Rotts that you turn right around and accuse pitbull owners of saying at the same time.   I found the way you posted everything both ironic and slightly disturbing in the closemindedness.   Almost every person out there is biased towards the dog breeds they own or have owned.  Thats pretty much a given.  They will also have one or two breeds, maybe more, they just don't like for various reasons, some real, some percieved, some increadibly biased and false. 

I was basically trying to say that, but I fucked it up somewhere between my brain and the computer screen.   

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »
Dude, I'm not trying to put down or slam you or Rottweilers and if its come across as that I apologize.  I know a couple of Rotts I consider to be WONDERFUL family pets. 

I just see you spouting stuff about you Rotts that you turn right around and accuse pitbull owners of saying at the same time.   I found the way you posted everything both ironic and slightly disturbing in the closemindedness.   Almost every person out there is biased towards the dog breeds they own or have owned.  Thats pretty much a given.  They will also have one or two breeds, maybe more, they just don't like for various reasons, some real, some percieved, some increadibly biased and false. 

I was basically trying to say that, but I fucked it up somewhere between my brain and the computer screen.   

I understand what you are saying.  But I never said that Rotties were never at one point the same as pitbulls are in the public eye, although I believe if you add in the dog fighting problem, the pitbull issue is much greater in this day and age.  I also agree that an out-of-control Rottweiler is much more dangerous than an out-of-control pitbull, and to me I think that is because pitbulls are generally more amiable with people, even the ones that aren't trained well.  I am not close minded at all.  I mean, to use my obedience training club, which is the biggest in Philadelphia, I have never seen any pitbull past the beginners/puppy class.  None.  Every thursday since my dog was 5 months old, and I have never seen a pitbull in a higher level obedience class than beginner. That is over 100 dogs, easily.  Isn't this saying something that not even 1 out of 100 people are even trying to teach their dog how to come/sit/stay, shit, to maybe even possibly pass the CGC?

My overall point is something that you said:

"At the same time, I've met way more pitbull owners who flat out do increadibly stupid things with their dogs, setting themselves up for problems with the dog and are completely oblivious to what they are doing."

When I said 95% of pitbull owners are idiots, that is what I meant.  They buy the breed for all the wrong reasons and are too lazy to take care of it, while simultaneously being completely ignorant to the guidance the breed actually needs and will not accept the facts if problems begin to arise.  And I am also agreeing with you that during the 80s, ( I was about 5 years old so my memory is a little shot =P), I am sure that Rottie's were on the same plane as pitbulls in this degree, just as I'm sure was the case with GSD's and Dobie's.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »
Yeah, that was a good post. In my opinion rottweilers pretty much have the same extremes that you see with pitbulls.  As a matter of fact, I think its a bit asanine to suggest that they are really that much different in extremes of perceptions other than the media loves to jump on a pitbull story right now.  Rotts were the "evil dogs" of the 1980's when I was a kid.  They have fallen from favor by the punks and as a result the media doesn't pick up on them as much.  

I've encountered some rottweilers I'll call flat out dangerous.  I mean unpredictable, will maul you with little prevocation or warning dangerous.  Unfortunately, for some reason, those Rotts owners all seem to be equally stupid.  One of the worst Ive seen was a dog I saw in Kentucky that as I was doing a physical exam, lunged almost off the table biting my hand---not just biting it, but taking my entire hand up to mid forearm in its mouth and crushing down.  I did the only thing I could, I doubled my fist as tight as I could and shoved it down the dogs throat until it gagged and let me go.  The owner literally EXPLODED on me for "CHOKING HIS ROCKWEILER".   It didn't matter at all that the damned dog had been trying to eat me less than 30 seconds before.    

In all honesty, I've met far fewer pitbulls I'd put in that catagory than Rotts.  At the same time, I've met way more pitbull owners who flat out do increadibly stupid things with their dogs, setting themselves up for problems with the dog and are completely oblivious to what they are doing.  Rottweiler owners can have very good dogs, if they are responsible owners and take the time to socialize and train the dogs just like pitbulls.  

I have to agree.  Some of the worst 'off the wall" dogs I've ever seen was a Rottweiler.  Unpredictable 100%, which made me a little leary when my girlfriend was getting a Rottie.  I have now changed my opinion 100% & would class our dog no different than the many Labradors I had.  I had to go back & think why those dogs were so off the handle.  For the most part, it was it's upbringing or lack of upbringing.  I think ignoring or lack of attention to a dog (like a Rottweiler) can make them even more dangerous than beating them or teaching them aggressive behaviour.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »

You didn't fuck anything up and nothing was lost in translation on me, Vet. I think if temper settled down a bit he might have understood what you were saying, but he seems so "Anti-pit" pro Rott, he doesn't seems to get it. :(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »

Just out of curiosity how old are you?   

Go to any large city in the midwest and go to the poorer neighborhoods or trailer parks on the outskirts of the city.  As a matter of fact, go to any trailer park and look at the Rotts there.  Also go to "white trashville" in the Midwest.  You will find more dumbass "Rockwilers" there than I think you are willing to accept.  When I worked for the Humane Society in vet school 12 years ago, I'd be willing to bet 1 out of 6 dogs that came in were listed as at least "Half-Rockwiler".   Rott mixes were a dime a dozen because no one who owned a male dared to nueter it, so the dogs ran around in an orgie of making puppies.  The weirdest mix I saw was the Scottie-Rottweiler mix one of my vetschool classmates had.   They looked like powerlifter Scotties. 

Why?

Just because they were irresponsible or for other reasons?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »
Why?

Just because they were irresponsible or for other reasons?

Because if you neuter a male dog, they won't be protective.   ::)
Or if you neuter a male dog they won't be muscular
or if you neuter a male dog they will get mean (doesn't matter the dog snapped a leash lunging at the clinic cat when it came through the door and it has to have two muzzles put on to vaccinate it with a polesyringe)
or You want to DO WHAT to HIM????

There are a number of reasons......   ::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »
If you neuter a large or giant breed dog they will not fill out. Great Danes will grow taller but be thinner and lanky if neutered/spayed too early.

That does not mean that they can't be altered at a more breed appropriate age though, but the myth that they will not be as muscular if altered is partly true.

Addressing and getting the WHOLE TRUTH out to people may encourage people to alter their pets.  Myths/ half truths on both sides of the issue don't help.   

If people were told the actual facts, maybe they would alter their dog eventually knowing that they could still have a protective and mature looking animal, instead they are swayed to never do it because they are pushed to do it at such a young age. 

Knowledge is the answer not laws.   ;)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »
If you neuter a large or giant breed dog they will not fill out. Great Danes will grow taller but be thinner and lanky if neutered/spayed too early.

That does not mean that they can't be altered at a more breed appropriate age though, but the myth that they will not be as muscular if altered is partly true.

Addressing and getting the WHOLE TRUTH out to people may encourage people to alter their pets.  Myths/ half truths on both sides of the issue don't help.   

If people were told the actual facts, maybe they would alter their dog eventually knowing that they could still have a protective and mature looking animal, instead they are swayed to never do it because they are pushed to do it at such a young age. 

Knowledge is the answer not laws.   ;)

I should have been a bit clearer when I was making that post.  I was thinking of the couple of rottweiler owners I know from Ohio who had dogs that were beyond morbidly obese, yet the owners just wouldn't have it.  One weighed 170+ lbs, and probably should have only weighed 90.  That owner insisted his dog was "all muscle" and neutering it would keep it from being as "muscular".  It didn't matter the dog could barely walk from knee and hip issues, it was ALL MUSCLE. 

Now admittantly, because Rotts are a blocky, black haired dog, they can carry a bit more weight than say, a white short haired dog, and still have the visual appearance of being relatively lean.   That said, I've seen very, very few rotts that were 120 lbs + and had a body condition score of 3/5 or 5/10 (ideal, lean, athletic, well muscled).  Heck, the more I think about it the more I think I really haven't seen that many that were 110 lbs + and lean.  For some reason it seems as if many of the rott owners I'm thinking of will insist their dogs are "all muscle", especially if they refer to the breed as a "rockwiler", even if the dog is fat as hell. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2008, 02:04:13 PM »
I should have been a bit clearer when I was making that post.  I was thinking of the couple of rottweiler owners I know from Ohio who had dogs that were beyond morbidly obese, yet the owners just wouldn't have it.  One weighed 170+ lbs, and probably should have only weighed 90.  That owner insisted his dog was "all muscle" and neutering it would keep it from being as "muscular".  It didn't matter the dog could barely walk from knee and hip issues, it was ALL MUSCLE. 

Now admittantly, because Rotts are a blocky, black haired dog, they can carry a bit more weight than say, a white short haired dog, and still have the visual appearance of being relatively lean.   That said, I've seen very, very few rotts that were 120 lbs + and had a body condition score of 3/5 or 5/10 (ideal, lean, athletic, well muscled).  Heck, the more I think about it the more I think I really haven't seen that many that were 110 lbs + and lean.  For some reason it seems as if many of the rott owners I'm thinking of will insist their dogs are "all muscle", especially if they refer to the breed as a "rockwiler", even if the dog is fat as hell. 

True.

I've have met ALOT of people that tell me their Rottie weighs 120+ pounds & when I see them....they're barely 110 pounds & maybe 5-10 pounds over weight.  The ones that are 120+ pounds are pretty fat & look like a sausage with four legs.

Now with that being said...(I am going to contradict myself here alittle) our Rottie is 130 pounds.  He's very solid & very well muscle toned.  Then again...we exercise him daily & I run with him every other day.  He's not over fed & fed only what he needs to maintain his weight & support his energy levels.  Personally, weight means absolutely nothing.  If he was 120, 110, 100 pounds...makes no difference.  He's just a tall, large framed Rottie & right now I'm very satisfied with his current level of condition which just so happens places him at 130 pounds.  He just did his first dog show & if his preliminaries go well, will be going to alot more shows.  So being in shape is an utmost importance especially for his placings as well as his health.  When he's next to other Rotties...people get a real perspective of what a Big Male Rottie looks like & how "out of shape" their dog is.  It's alot of work I have to admit.  Exercising a dog usually means we're out there doing it along side of him.  My back has been killing me running with him but the look on his face when we're running is worth it. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
True.

I've have met ALOT of people that tell me their Rottie weighs 120+ pounds & when I see them....they're barely 110 pounds & maybe 5-10 pounds over weight.  The ones that are 120+ pounds are pretty fat & look like a sausage with four legs.

Now with that being said...(I am going to contradict myself here alittle) our Rottie is 130 pounds.  He's very solid & very well muscle toned.  Then again...we exercise him daily & I run with him every other day.  He's not over fed & fed only what he needs to maintain his weight & support his energy levels.  Personally, weight means absolutely nothing.  If he was 120, 110, 100 pounds...makes no difference.  He's just a tall, large framed Rottie & right now I'm very satisfied with his current level of condition which just so happens places him at 130 pounds.  He just did his first dog show & if his preliminaries go well, will be going to alot more shows.  So being in shape is an utmost importance especially for his placings as well as his health.  When he's next to other Rotties...people get a real perspective of what a Big Male Rottie looks like & how "out of shape" their dog is.  It's alot of work I have to admit.  Exercising a dog usually means we're out there doing it along side of him.  My back has been killing me running with him but the look on his face when we're running is worth it. 

People have no idea to eyeball dogs weights.  My dog is 100lbs and I've had people ask me if he weighs like "130 or 140".  Everyone also believes their dog is a monster.  As long as I can feel Plato's ribs when I rub my hand along his side with a little pressure, that is fine with me. 

And to add to the Flower/Vet neutering convo, a good friend of mine who has a male Rottie who is like 2 months younger than my dog, so like 2 years old roughly, is 120lbs and was neutered at 8 mo since he has another intact male in the house.  He is muscular, defined and his bones are thick as hell.  He is also *THE* sweetest dog I have ever seen, among any breed.

His brother is also the same way, except 5-10lbs heavier.  The litter came from Tracy, the breeder/handler for Shaka Zulu, the rottie who won best in group at Warminster in 06.  Ridiculously beautiful dogs.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
LMAO @ "ROCKweilers"  God, if I had a dollar everytime I heard that.  One of my businesses is in a really ghetto area and my customers tell me about their "ROCKweilers."

There can't be generalizations about any breeds as a whole.  There are always exceptions that go both ways.  In the case of dogs, nuture, as opposed to nature, goes a long way.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2008, 11:14:45 AM »
And to add to the Flower/Vet neutering convo, a good friend of mine who has a male Rottie who is like 2 months younger than my dog, so like 2 years old roughly, is 120lbs and was neutered at 8 mo since he has another intact male in the house.  He is muscular, defined and his bones are thick as hell.  He is also *THE* sweetest dog I have ever seen, among any breed.

Now imagine if he was done at 4mos like s/n laws are mandating.   :-\

body88

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
My large ab was neautered right after he turned one. He weighs 100lbs with his ribs slightly showing, and he is about the same size as his father - who is intact.

Btw, American Bulldogs are very gentle with children.