Author Topic: ASC - drug testing?  (Read 6824 times)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
ASC - drug testing?
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
Quote from The Columbia Dispatch article on ASC:

"This will be the first Arnold Classic where the competitors are required to sign a contract that subjects them to periodic random testing, said Jim Lorimer, who co-produces the Arnold Sports Festival, which includes the Classic, with actor and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger."

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/03/02/Arnold_Classic.ART_ART_03-02-08_B1_239GTKL.html?sid=101

So, were any of the competitors in this weekends Arnold Classic drug tested, per the contract (see quote below)?  I doubt it.  Or does this mean that the competitors will be subject to random drug test throughout the year?

Of course, Lorimer's quote doesn't specifically say "drug" testing, so perhaps they will have some other sort of periodic test.  ("Quick!  How much do you bench?!?  How many calories in one pound of bodyfat?!?  What does ASC stand for?!?  What is Serge Oliva's nickname?"  :D)

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: ASC - drug testing?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
IFBB drug tests all it's comps, read the rule book or for the truth ask Bob Chick he is in the know. ::)

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »
Cutler is natural...he only pissed dirty for diruetics back in the day... ::)

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »
the BS is in more than just one sentence:

Many past bodybuilders also turned to drugs and chemicals that today are banned.

"It was a small part of the sport," Gaspari said from his office in Lakewood, N.J. "I never felt like it was anything that controlled me. It's not the drug or a magic pill. It's the dedication."

Shawn Ray won the Arnold Classic in 1990, only to lose it to runner-up Mike Ashley after testing positive for steroids, which he admits having used.He competed for 10 more years, including winning the Classic in 1991.

Bodybuilding, he said, has always been the whipping boy about drugs "because of our appearance.

"People think it's humanly impossible to look that way," he said. "There's a certain look out there that looks very chemically enhanced."

This will be the first Arnold Classic where the competitors are required to sign a contract that subjects them to periodic random testing, said Jim Lorimer, who co-produces the Arnold Sports Festival, which includes the Classic, with actor and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"This is going to be an unending fight, one that is impossible to eradicate completely," said Rafael Santonja, head of the International Federation of Body Builders in Madrid, Spain.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »
If it's in the IFBB rule book then it has to be right. ::)

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
This is just Arnold doing a little bit of covering his own ass. With McCain more than likely being the Republican nominee and Arnold backing him already, the Demmies will be able to use that show(ASC) as a way of calling McCain's character into question because of Arnold, having a bodybuilding show with obvious drug use. So Arnold can have these guys sign this contract and he looks pro active in a stance against drug use in pro bodybuilding. It doesn't mean they will test anyone though,but it looks good to homos like Anderson Cooper and the Queen Bitch Nancy Grace.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
bwhahahah, Easy Arnold, easy. ::)
N

AZbodybuilder

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
In the past they have only tested for diuretics.

AZbodybuilder

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 05:37:59 PM »
No Drugs = No IFBB,   I dont beleive there will be much changed as far as testing.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »

"This will be the first Arnold Classic where the competitors are required to sign a contract that subjects them to periodic random testing, said Jim Lorimer

The quote says it all.  If Lorimer intended to drug test, he would have said "we will be testing our athletes for anabolic steroid use.", not "competitors are required to sign a contract that subjects them to periodic random testing".   ::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

AZbodybuilder

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
I think it was probably done for Arnold's benefit. Its probably getting more difficult for him to set on the fence , being the Governor of California and supporting Pro Bodybuilding with its obvious drug use. At least saying there going to test shows he is trying to clean it up.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 07:07:19 AM »
IFBB pro's are chemical experts. It is impossible for them to come out positive unless they make a mistake. Look at the olympics for example.. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:28:47 AM »
I think it was probably done for Arnold's benefit. Its probably getting more difficult for him to set on the fence , being the Governor of California and supporting Pro Bodybuilding with its obvious drug use. At least saying there going to test shows he is trying to clean it up.

Yet, if Arnold disassociated himself with bodybuilding, how many folks here would howl, calling him a sellout?

The fans can't have it both ways. You can't criticize the folks for not testing the competitorsone minute, then turn around and laugh at them, when they do start testing rigidly and the competitors aren't quite as massive as they once were.

That's what happen with the WBFChampionship, back in 1992. They tested everyone for everything but the kitchen sink and too many people made fun of how the bodybuilders looked, as a result.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 07:40:28 AM »
the BS is in more than just one sentence:

Many past bodybuilders also turned to drugs and chemicals that today are banned.

"It was a small part of the sport," Gaspari said from his office in Lakewood, N.J. "I never felt like it was anything that controlled me. It's not the drug or a magic pill. It's the dedication."

Shawn Ray won the Arnold Classic in 1990, only to lose it to runner-up Mike Ashley after testing positive for steroids, which he admits having used.He competed for 10 more years, including winning the Classic in 1991.

Bodybuilding, he said, has always been the whipping boy about drugs "because of our appearance.

"People think it's humanly impossible to look that way," he said. "There's a certain look out there that looks very chemically enhanced."

This will be the first Arnold Classic where the competitors are required to sign a contract that subjects them to periodic random testing, said Jim Lorimer, who co-produces the Arnold Sports Festival, which includes the Classic, with actor and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"This is going to be an unending fight, one that is impossible to eradicate completely," said Rafael Santonja, head of the International Federation of Body Builders in Madrid, Spain.

It really is amazing the ease with which these guys lie.  It just comes naturally to them.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 07:58:31 AM »
IFBB drug test:

1. Testosterone is

a) a new burger at McDonald's
b) Kevin Levrone's new band
c) a harmless steroid
d) better than creatine

2. You are questioned by a fan how you got so big. Your answer is:

a) I tell the truth, he won't be able to remember all the medication names anyways.
b) I take a look at the commercial pamphlet from my sponsor and try to read out a few names aloud.
c) I call security and let him get thrown out.
d) I give him my number and sell him some fake GH after the show.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 10:35:54 AM »
That's what happen with the WBFChampionship, back in 1992. They tested everyone for everything but the kitchen sink and too many people made fun of how the bodybuilders looked, as a result.

people made fun of the WBF because there were too many outrageous costumes and overly hyped fake rivalries, you know kind of like in pro wrestling.   (one problem with costumes in bodybuilding contests is that you have to take it off on stage, which makes you a stripper).

besides, the bodybuilders were at most 3 months clean, after years of heavy use.   that hardly makes them an example of natural bodybuilding.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 10:38:09 AM »
It really is amazing the ease with which these guys lie.  It just comes naturally to them.

what is amazing is how the reporter either knows that it's a bunch of lies and is willing to spread them, or is so gullible that he doesn't know how much BS he's being fed.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »
From a recent steroidreport.com blog entry:

http://www.steroidreport.com/2008/03/04/producer-of-arnold-classic-bodybuilding-contest-warns-competitors-about-steroids/

"Lorimer discusses the existing “amateur” protocol in the IFBB but also announced that in January 2008 the IFBB has implemented a testing protocol in the IFBB Professional League to “protect integrity and future of the sport.” The testing was implemented in response to other professional sports being “killed by the publicity” surrounding doping. Details of the IFBB’s new testing protocol were not revealed only that “there will be some testing throughout the coming year.”'

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.  Looks like congress has many sports organizations (and even entertainment organizations like the IFBB) running scared.

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 10:43:32 AM »
IFBB drug test:

1. Testosterone is

a) a new burger at McDonald's
b) Kevin Levrone's new band
c) a harmless steroid
d) better than creatine

2. You are questioned by a fan how you got so big. Your answer is:

a) I tell the truth, he won't be able to remember all the medication names anyways.
b) I take a look at the commercial pamphlet from my sponsor and try to read out a few names aloud.
c) I call security and let him get thrown out.
d) I give him my number and sell him some fake GH after the show.

D and D.......how'm i doin?

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
what is amazing is how the reporter either knows that it's a bunch of lies and is willing to spread them, or is so gullible that he doesn't know how much BS he's being fed.

I think it's the latter.  Remember, the general public beleives every supplement company ad.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »

"This will be the first Arnold Classic where the competitors are required to sign a contract that subjects them to periodic random testing, said Jim Lorimer, who co-produces the Arnold Sports Festival, which includes the Classic, with actor and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger."

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/03/02/Arnold_Classic.ART_ART_03-02-08_B1_239GTKL.html?sid=101

So, were any of the competitors in this weekends Arnold Classic drug tested, per the contract (see quote below)?  I doubt it.  Or does this mean that the competitors will be subject to random drug test throughout the year?

Of course, Lorimer's quote doesn't specifically say "drug" testing, so perhaps they will have some other sort of periodic test.  ("Quick!  How much do you bench?!?  How many calories in one pound of bodyfat?!?  What does ASC stand for?!?  What is Serge Oliva's nickname?"  :D)

WELL!!! >:(

ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE US THE ANSWERS OR NOT ???

i'm stumped on the last question. who the fuck is 'serge oliva'?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »
D and D.......how'm i doin?

Top ten competitoner!

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
Top ten competitoner!
i'm flying to LA ........livin the dream

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 11:22:31 AM »
i'm flying to LA ........livin the dream

...in the back of a volks wagon.

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
...in the back of a volks wagon.
with viles of humalog........some back issues of md........and my t micheal collection