Author Topic: Olympia 2nd placers - Who should have won the Sandow?  (Read 8316 times)

RZA

• Getbig IV
Re: Olympia 2nd placers - Who should have won the Sandow?
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 05:43:54 AM »
benfatto from the front upper body alone was one of the best showings I've ever seen at least up until that point.  He was shredded and his proportions were incredible.  His legs were weak but if you would have seen a shot of him from the front waist up you probably would have picked him to win the show...

Agreed. It's true I never paid much attention to his legs but the front upper body was perfect. I doubt that we'll ever see that kind of waiste on a bodybuilder ever again. The "greek" ideal has been replaced by the "Joe the Truck Driver" ideal.

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 06:16:04 AM »

When I first got into BBing I could never understand why he never won an Olympia........ then I found out he was like 5 1/2 feet tall :-\ Regardless he had one of the most perfect physiques to ever walk on an Olympia stage.

not to forget his posing routine.. also perfect, gracious, smooth and flawless
I am a mini beast

affy

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 06:22:22 AM »
No one mentioned Levrone

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 06:32:35 AM »
it was actually on ESPN :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

the only guys who were really on were Labrada, Christian and Benfatto....maybe frank hillebrand.  Shawn Ray looked really, really good as well.  haney should have been 4th at best.

These were the four I remembered as well, but I recall Christian's legs looking out of proportion a little with his upper body.   I don't think he should have beaten Haney.
Y

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 06:44:50 AM »
I dont know how one can look like this and not have a sandow ....
L

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »

Ronnie completly destroyed him and Wheeler was only that close because of his name, regardless his synthol filled body as overrated as it was shouldn't have been top 3. Also next year in '99 was a clear gift over Cormier who really deserved 2nd, Wheeler was 2nd on name alone.

I beg to differ. Wheeler looked terrific up there. But so did Ronnie. That decision could have gone either way. It just happen to go to Coleman, whose previous victory over Wheeler was by the skin of his teeth.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 10:53:42 AM »
Danny Padilla in 1981

Shawn Ray in 1997 (or Nasser)

Jay in 2001

Victor in 2007

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
IMO Dorian never should have won one, he was a great bodybuilder but nowhere near any of the three i listed.

::)

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
I dont know how one can look like this and not have a sandow ....
Cormier is a interesting bber. He looks way thicker in pics than videos or real.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 11:07:44 AM »
I beg to differ. Wheeler looked terrific up there. But so did Ronnie. That decision could have gone either way. It just happen to go to Coleman, whose previous victory over Wheeler was by the skin of his teeth.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA So I guess you think a guy with obvious signs of synthol use and suspicious calves should even be considered for winning an Olympia ::) Not to mention he is unbalanced far more then Ronnie while at the same time lacking width or thickness. Ronnie destroyed him and as I said in 99 he def got a gift placing ahead of Cormier. Only year he was ever close to winning an O was 93 and even then he was completly blown away by Dorian.

I

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »
Cormier owns Flex
I

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Mr. Levrone

E
E

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA So I guess you think a guy with obvious signs of synthol use and suspicious calves should even be considered for winning an Olympia ::) Not to mention he is unbalanced far more then Ronnie while at the same time lacking width or thickness. Ronnie destroyed him and as I said in 99 he def got a gift placing ahead of Cormier. Only year he was ever close to winning an O was 93 and even then he was completly blown away by Dorian.

He was closer to winning in '98 than he was in '93 (synthol or not). He went into that show as the favorite, having won back-to-back Arnold Classic titles and, lest you forget, of all the times Wheeler and Coleman faced each other, Coleman had only beaten Wheeler once, time prior to the '98 Olympia (and it took a tie-breaker to do that).

To top it all off, Wheeler was ahead of Coleman, going into the evening show. Coleman came from behind and pulled it off. But, either way, that was a close contest. And, Ronnie Coleman won by the skin of his teeth.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
He was closer to winning in '98 than he was in '93 (synthol or not). He went into that show as the favorite, having won back-to-back Arnold Classic titles and, lest you forget, of all the times Wheeler and Coleman faced each other, Coleman had only beaten Wheeler once, time prior to the '98 Olympia (and it took a tie-breaker to do that).

To top it all off, Wheeler was ahead of Coleman, going into the evening show. Coleman came from behind and pulled it off. But, either way, that was a close contest. And, Ronnie Coleman won by the skin of his teeth.

LOL skin of his teeth my ass:

the only reason the scores were not vastly different is that ronnie was totally overlooked in the first two rounds. it was wheeler's showing in the judges' minds, that is, until they noticed how much better Ronnie was.

seriously. look at this domination:

this is not by the 'skin of his teeth'.

this is total destruction of Flex: Ronnie made flex look smooth and oil filled, which he was:

Flower Boy Ran Away

Moosejay

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »
Cormier owns Flex

It just seems Cormier is missing something...he's no doubt great...but....

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »

Yeah a few ASCs and a Sandow 8)

I

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »
No one mentioned Levrone

clavicles too narrow.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 07:12:38 PM »

he owned flex in 99 for sure. chris was amazing, and flex was super oil filled and even softer than 98..
Flower Boy Ran Away

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
clavicles too narrow.

is a phil heath supporter talking about "narrow" clavicles ???

E
E

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »
LOL skin of his teeth my ass:

the only reason the scores were not vastly different is that ronnie was totally overlooked in the first two rounds. it was wheeler's showing in the judges' minds, that is, until they noticed how much better Ronnie was.

WHAT!!!??? The judges looked at Ronnie during ALL FOUR ROUNDS.

seriously. look at this domination:

this is not by the 'skin of his teeth'.

this is total destruction of Flex: Ronnie made flex look smooth and oil filled, which he was:

Domination is not winning by three points. And, as mentioned earlier, prior to the 1998 Olympia, Coleman had only defeated Wheeler ONCE.

No matter how you try to slant it, the 1998 Olympia was a close battle. Ronnie Coleman got the win, by a slim margin; but he got it, nonetheless.

Ronnie didn't "dominate" anyone that year, or did you also forget that, earlier that year, he lost to Kevin Levrone at the San Francisco Pro Invitational, a loss he would avenge a bit later at the '98 Night of Champions.

Bottom line: Ronnie Coleman won the '98 Olympia. But, his win hardly one of "domination".

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2008, 01:05:24 PM »
he owned flex in 99 for sure. chris was amazing, and flex was super oil filled and even softer than 98..

Cormier placed THIRD; Wheeler placed SECOND. Cormier owned nobody!!!!

Then, there's the matter of Wheeler's winning his fourth Arnold Classic (2000) at Cormier's expense.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »
WHAT!!!??? The judges looked at Ronnie during ALL FOUR ROUNDS.

Domination is not winning by three points. And, as mentioned earlier, prior to the 1998 Olympia, Coleman had only defeated Wheeler ONCE.

No matter how you try to slant it, the 1998 Olympia was a close battle. Ronnie Coleman got the win, by a slim margin; but he got it, nonetheless.

Ronnie didn't "dominate" anyone that year, or did you also forget that, earlier that year, he lost to Kevin Levrone at the San Francisco Pro Invitational, a loss he would avenge a bit later at the '98 Night of Champions.

Bottom line: Ronnie Coleman won the '98 Olympia. But, his win hardly one of "domination".

Cormier placed THIRD; Wheeler placed SECOND. Cormier owned nobody!!!!

Then, there's the matter of Wheeler's winning his fourth Arnold Classic (2000) at Cormier's expense.

Too bad you are about the only one who feels that way.
I

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

Too bad you are about the only one who feels that way.

Feeling has little to do with it.

With Dorian gone (and extremely injured, to boot), the 1998 Olympia was up for grabs. Flex Wheeler was the favorite going into that show. Kevin Levrone was not too far behind him. And both men had beaten Coleman REPEATEDLY in previous shows. Nasser El Sonbaty did place second at the '97 Olympia. However, another loss to Wheeler at the '98 Arnold Classic put him in the "dark horse" category. Throw in Shawn Ray, and you have a list of competitors ready to assume the Olympia throne.

Plus, when you consider that all of those other men has placed second at the O (whereas Coleman's highest placing EVER to that point was 7th, which was bumped to 6th after El Sonbaty got DQed) and that all of those men had beaten him REPEATEDLY. Ronnie Coleman was the LAST guy anyone expected to walk out with the Sandow trophy.

Ronnie's win was an upset, pure and simple, which is part of what makes his story such a great one. He leaped from 9th to 1st in one year, beating men that has bested him on multiple occasions, including a red-hot and heavily-favored Flex Wheeler.

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »
robby
labrada
ray
martinez

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2008, 05:14:38 PM »
Feeling has little to do with it.

With Dorian gone (and extremely injured, to boot), the 1998 Olympia was up for grabs. Flex Wheeler was the favorite going into that show. Kevin Levrone was not too far behind him. And both men had beaten Coleman REPEATEDLY in previous shows. Nasser El Sonbaty did place second at the '97 Olympia. However, another loss to Wheeler at the '98 Arnold Classic put him in the "dark horse" category. Throw in Shawn Ray, and you have a list of competitors ready to assume the Olympia throne.

Plus, when you consider that all of those other men has placed second at the O (whereas Coleman's highest placing EVER to that point was 7th, which was bumped to 6th after El Sonbaty got DQed) and that all of those men had beaten him REPEATEDLY. Ronnie Coleman was the LAST guy anyone expected to walk out with the Sandow trophy.

Ronnie's win was an upset, pure and simple, which is part of what makes his story such a great one. He leaped from 9th to 1st in one year, beating men that has bested him on multiple occasions, including a red-hot and heavily-favored Flex Wheeler.

You try and make it seem like it is some drama filled soap opera when it's really not. All I can say is if anyone other then Ronnie won it would have been considered the biggest fuck up in IFBB judging history.
I