Author Topic: Tom Platz' leg routine  (Read 28002 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Tom Platz' leg routine
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »
those legs were unreal front to back and conditioned to the max,upper body was ok not a good flow to it,but he was a good guy it seems and pushed his genetics to its limit.other than jeff king nobody in that era had that full and thick sweeping quads that looked flexed ,relaxed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 10:09:03 AM »
Great routein, but with todays research and findings, stretching would never come first before a warm up.

yeah, i've read that warmups are important but stretching a lot causes injury.
Arnold's encyc said Platza did 15 min of stretching before lifting.  I actually stretched a lot yesterday before doing legs... turned out, after 2 sets of squats my hamstrings were burning so bad I had to move on to leg extensions then come back to hacks after they cooled down.

duncanlukas

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »
thats why ur a pussy.

The Coach

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »
yeah, i've read that warmups are important but stretching a lot causes injury.
Arnold's encyc said Platza did 15 min of stretching before lifting.  I actually stretched a lot yesterday before doing legs... turned out, after 2 sets of squats my hamstrings were burning so bad I had to move on to leg extensions then come back to hacks after they cooled down.

Imagine taking a rubberband out of a freezer and trying stretch it, what do think would happen? It would more than likely snap (injury) Now, take a rubberband out the freezer, heat it up and pull it....it has much more flexability.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »
Imagine taking a rubberband out of a freezer and trying stretch it, what do think would happen? It would more than likely snap (injury) Now, take a rubberband out the freezer, heat it up and pull it....it has much more flexability.
LOL, "the coach" trying to give out some more bullshit advice. You don't coach shit.

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 12:49:23 PM »
Tom Platz is a legend in bodybuilding, I don't think his passion and love of bodybuilding will ever be surpassed, not to mention his leg development, even by today's standards his legs (quads, hams and calves) would beat ANY pro today on stage, hands down.

Beyond that, he has character, charisma, intelligence, education and class. He respects people and is respected by everyone in return. I REALLY wish he would have stayed more involved in pro bodybuilding, he is one of the greats that could help the sport from going down the toilet the way it is.

I met him in the 80's and went to a 2 day seminar again a few years ago, he is a class act, it was a great experience and it's too bad he is not involved in the sport much any more.

The Coach

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
LOL..."Bullshit"? Ok gimmick ok, prove me wrong.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »

how many minutes of leg stretching, and how many minutes of walking on treadmill, should one do before tackling heavy squats?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
how many minutes of leg stretching, and how many minutes of walking on treadmill, should one do before tackling heavy squats?
none, just warm up with lighter squats, the bar, then 135,225,315, etc.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »
LOL..."Bullshit"? Ok gimmick ok, prove me wrong.
So, "the coach" if the average high school football player runs a 4.6, then basic rules of average would say that some of the slower guys run 4.9s and 5.0s while the faster guys would run 4.2s and 4.3s (on the "average high school team)..... LOL you don't even know what the fuck you are talking about. You are the typical 80's lifter who goes around in the gym trying to give advice to people who are repulsed by you.

The Coach

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 01:02:20 PM »
Prove me wrong!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 01:07:07 PM »
There is running backs in the NFL that run 4.6s, you are saying that the "average" 17 year old kid who plays football runs a 4.6? The sad thing about these crazy statements is that there is probably some little kid (maybe a nephew or whatever) that really looks up to you and believes all this bullshit you say.

The Coach

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
Can't prove me wrong gimmick?

BTW, I don't coach football, I just train them. Still waiting to prove me wrong.

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
Exactly , common sense.    you can stretch between sets also .
none, just warm up with lighter squats, the bar, then 135,225,315, etc.
Good advice .

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »
you're half right, half wrong there coach.  I agree stretching when completely cold is often a bad idea, you do need to get some kind of heat or warmth in your body.  But it doesn't have to come from working sets or running a treadmill, just slowly building up in movements and stretch's can do it.  Example yoga, there are forms of yoga that basically just build up in range of movement and they are a lot more flexible than most athletes.  From personal experience i find i perform best when i stretch and build up slowly doing that, i'm much more dynamic than if i go for a run as a warm up.
Abandon every hope...

The Coach

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »
Respectfully, I am not the one who said treadmill or working sets, when my clients or athletes warm up, its usually a 15 min dynamic, followed by self myofacial release with a foam roller, then the work out and strech AFTER the work out. Studies have shown that this protocol not only reduces injury but increases performance.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »
The stuff he is saying is what probably 95% of people who have been lifting for years, already do. You don't just go under a 405lb squat and start lifting.

The Coach

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »
Warming up with a load is hard on knees and hips, eapecially if you live in cold climates and if you are older.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »
Guy was a warrior, but I don't believe he did that much every leg workout.. Really not even needed.

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
Really not even needed.

funny you say that about someone that had the best legs in all of bodybuilding history.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
funny you say that about someone that had the best legs in all of bodybuilding history.
comeon man you don't honestly believe he was doing 8-12 sets when he was doing reps of 15-20 do you? like i said earlier i had an old "Powerlifter Video" from 11-12 years ago with a segment on Tom on it and the guy did ONE set of squats with 335 for 40 below parallel with a close stance and then some extensions and that's it, the 8-12 sets were for when he did 3's and 5's which he would do on occasion.

The Coach

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »
It was a video Dave, like the one where Ronnie does an 800 DL, you don't think he does that on a regular basis do you?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »
I can't believe no one on here has seen Platz train legs in person. I seen him many times back at World's in the early 80's.  Like I have said many times on here I never seen anyone train legs like him.  The exercise I remember most though is when he did standing calf raises where he went to failure on every set and had two guys after the last rep literally carry him over to the bench to sit down.  He was nuts.  And I have never seen peter siegal until this video.  I had several appointments set up for me that I never went to.  people swear by him but I never could believe in what he did.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
By the way this is till an AWESOME video

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
I can't believe no one on here has seen Platz train legs in person. I seen him many times back at World's in the early 80's.  Like I have said many times on here I never seen anyone train legs like him.  The exercise I remember most though is when he did standing calf raises where he went to failure on every set and had two guys after the last rep literally carry him over to the bench to sit down.  He was nuts.  And I have never seen peter siegal until this video.  I had several appointments set up for me that I never went to.  people swear by him but I never could believe in what he did.

about how many sets did platz do on leg day, total?