Author Topic: ?  (Read 5223 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: IRONMAN Magazine - how would you improve it?
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:48 PM »
what does it mean when The Luke uses " :'( " ?

;D
It means Uncle Teddy is coming over..........
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »
for most of the bodybuilding mags, including Ironman, the foreign editions are franchises.  they are separate local companies that pay a licensing fee to use the name.    they have their own editors, staff, and printers. they have the right to use each others content, but mostly they do not.

The September 2004 issue of Australian Ironman had a very nice article about me and my website.    The US version had the right to reprint it, but chose not to.

They sent me a few copies of that issue of Australian Ironman, and the most noticeable thing about it is how uncluttered it seems.  fewer ads, but also lots of space between the text, headlines and pics. 

Agree

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »

I was being serious... you contribute nothing to this board... just as you've contributed nothing to this discussion... your posts are painfully predictable and unfunny; the same lame catchphrases; the same lame putdowns; the same painfully obvious transference of your own latent homosexuality.

You, sir, could be replaced with an automated response program.

The "You're so gay..." Luke

Seems to me that criticism applies to all of us at Getbig! :)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2008, 10:10:39 AM »
the guy that bought ironman john balik was pictured in the first bbing mag i ever bought in the young stars section. so he should know better. the mag he was in was better than the current ironman.
F

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
how about a slightly less compressed version of that file

and then a pic of Balik

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2008, 11:33:35 AM »
good pic tim balik was slightly younger in the 66 pic in strength and health. a couple pics of my favorite ironman mags, when it was a good mag.
F

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2008, 11:56:49 AM »
a couple pics of my favorite ironman mags, when it was a good mag.

where are you getting these scans?  They are originally from my site, as you can tell by the creases in the binding.  but they've since been highly compressed, as you can tell by the little swirls around the edges.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »
I've got bodybuilding mags going back to 1947. One day I will start scanning them and put them online at full resolution. Ditto for heaps of those old photos.

I used to buy all the bodybuilding magazines that I could find. Mostly from 1960 to about 1995 when I stopped buying all of them. I acquired some bound volumes of some old British magazines dating back to 1950. Ah, the good old days when Mr Universe was coveted.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »
I've got bodybuilding mags going back to 1947. One day I will start scanning them and put them online at full resolution. Ditto for heaps of those old photos.

I used to buy all the bodybuilding magazines that I could find. Mostly from 1960 to about 1995 when I stopped buying all of them. I acquired some bound volumes of some old British magazines dating back to 1950. Ah, the good old days when Mr Universe was coveted.

That would be f*ckin awesome. Post some photos of arnold Vs. sergio that no one here has seen!

P.S. less ads would be #1 mag

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »

from 1998 to 2002 I scanned for my website over 2500 magazines, most at 300 dpi.  however no one had broadband back then, and you use to get charged for your bandwidth, so there was no way I could upload them that big.   Most are 400 pixels wide.  sooner or later I'll get around to uploading higher res pics.

and sooner or later I'll get back to adding to my table of contents database. Right now I have in a database the table of contents of every US bodybuilding magazine through 1970.   haven't been able to add to it recently, as I've had to make money to pay the rent.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Re: ?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »
Bodybuilding Pro.com

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2008, 09:31:06 AM »
tim i got the scans off musclememory.com one of my favorite history sites, i do own all the mags pictured however.
F

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 09:39:51 AM »
Casey Viator's arm looks huge as a teenager......
OSC

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »
Less ads.  Bring back Larry Scott's column. 
Less abs..............fixed

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »
Hire Tony Monchinski and allow him to give adequate coverage to power lifting

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »
if you go on ebay, there's three collections of muscle mags up for sale 50 mix of muscle builders musclemag, muscular developement. another bundle of 42 ironman mags including the arnold cover. and finally 12 mr america's mags. all mags from 60's and early 70's.
F

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
Tim Fogarty,

I'd be very interested to get your opinion on my idea of vouching for the advertisers:

VOUCH FOR YOUR ADVERTISERS

When supplement company X wants to purchase a full page ad (~$5k) for some product (say: Protein Powder X), someone from IRONMAN should head to the nearest GNC and buy a tub of said protein powder and send it off to a qualified lab for a full quality analysis.

Send the labs bill to the supplement company, then and only then should the ad go to print... with the lab analysis included.

Granted, the snakeoil companies would no longer advertise in IRONMAN, but you can bet most supplement consumers would pick up a copy of the mag... the increase in readership and prestige afforded by an IRONMAN magazine endorsement would allow you to charge whatever you want for ad space.

God I'm clever...

The Luke

...wouldn't that step, and relying less on the bullshit supplement manufacturers for your advertising income lend IRONMAN some modicum of the respect/integrity sadly lacking in the field. That would win over a loyal readership base.

Perhaps an added emphasis on natural bodybuilding would help... but instead of calling Jeff Willet a natural while simultaneously running articles in which 300 lb IFBB pros also claim to be naturals, IRONMAN should label steroid users ("Chemical Bodybuilding" perhaps) and confront the steroid issue head on.

-run articles on exactly what lifts/measurements constitute a good natural base (maximum natural size)
-emphasize that only those who have reached their maximum natural size should even consider steroid use
-put an emphasis on pre-steroid era bodybuilding
-cover other athletes who lift weights for their sport
-print/summarize in layman's terms the latest nutritional research
-do star profiles on inspirational bodybuilders such as Chet Yorton who stayed natural and keep lifting into their 60s
-stop the ghost written articles
-admit the role steroids play in bodybuilding
-admit steroids work
-cover the health/criminal problems encountered by those who use steroids; be candid about the fact that steroids aren't particularly dangerous... but don't skip over the statistical evidence that steroid users are a high risk group for other (associated) risk factors

...basically, turn IRONMAN into a magazine expounding the benefit of weight training as a way of life. Not a magazine that glorifies the sorry state of affairs that bodybuilding has become.

The Luke