Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47339 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »
LOL I have no idea!   :D  Seriously!  I'm gonna do mostly triples for the last few weeks (and singles with the bench shirt), so I'll get a better idea then of what I might be able to pull off.

the nugget of wisdom i pass along from other people is to open with your 3RM, 2nd attempt with your current best, and if you get it go for a 10lb PR on the third.

this goes out the window for advanced competitors like pegg, but for folks like us it's pretty solid.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »
the nugget of wisdom i pass along from other people is to open with your 3RM, 2nd attempt with your current best, and if you get it go for a 10lb PR on the third.

this goes out the window for advanced competitors like pegg, but for folks like us it's pretty solid.

That's a pretty solid approach.  One thing I absolutely don't want to do is fk up the squat because that's the first lift, and it's the one I am least confident about.  So I want to make sure I get a good one under my belt right away!
Four weeks out now, so I'll start working triples hard after this next week, and I'll have a better sense of what's going to be possible after a couple more weeks.  I'm focused on making the 123-132 weight class these days...and I'm tired!   :P
:)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »

Yeah, you see so many people bomb out because of picking too high a weight for the opener.  I work in percentages, but I thinks something along the lines of 88-92% for the opener, 95-98% for the 2nd attempt, and then 103-105% for the third.   

I think hitting that first attempt is very, very, important.  More important than alot of people give credit for because it sets your mind up for a solid 2nd attempt and a PR 3rd attempt.   I know if I miss the opener, I'm playing mind games with myself for the 2nd attempt.  I don't like doing that. 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2008, 01:42:01 PM »
I think hitting that first attempt is very, very, important.  More important than alot of people give credit for because it sets your mind up for a solid 2nd attempt and a PR 3rd attempt.   I know if I miss the opener, I'm playing mind games with myself for the 2nd attempt.  I don't like doing that. 

Exactly.

i always open up with about 80%, then go 100% and depending on how that goes i add 10-20 pounds at the most.

Getting that first attempt nailed easily gets your confidence up real high, where it should be.

8)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2008, 07:33:17 PM »

Thanks Jason!
When I click on that link, I get a bunch of pics of people who might be celebs or something.  Is that the Bigger Stronger Faster premeire?

Good to know about the hammers...they are my favorite bicep exercise anyway! 

SHIT!  My copy/paste skills earn an F-!!!  Lemme dig up the link again and Ill repost it!

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-how-cure-shoulder-problems-trust-me-will-do-90-time.html

Jason

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2008, 12:19:09 AM »
SHIT!  My copy/paste skills earn an F-!!!  Lemme dig up the link again and Ill repost it!

http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-how-cure-shoulder-problems-trust-me-will-do-90-time.html

Jason

LOL.   Come one Jason, its pretty obvious Mark has hit you up to help promote.....    ;D :D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »
I'm willing to give that shoulder stretch a try.  I'm not sure about the 50,000 reps or whatever, but it sounds interesting.  I definitely need to be able to reach back and scratch my back without hurting myself! 

Friday I did AM cardio and some light shoulder and rotator cuff work in the evening.  Saturday was an all cardio day...two cardios, no weights. 

Today was light squats and speed work on the bench. 

BENCH (Speed Work)
warmup - barx15, 95x6
115x3/3 sets
120x3/3 sets

SQUATS (Light)
Started to widen the stance a little bit and figure out where just below parallel is.
warmup - barx15, 95x12
145x5
155x5
165x5 - felt heavier than I expected!
125x5/7 sets

I also did 50 minutes on the bike this morning.  I'm travelling Monday-Thursday, so it's pretty much all cardio and abs, maybe a light bicep workout tomorrow before I leave, and I am going to try to get into a gym on Wednesday to deadlift. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »
if you're widening your stance, pay attention to your shoes and bar placement. you're a bit higher-bar and wear shoes with a heel, so it might be better for you to just stick with the less wide placement. important thing is to find where you're strongest, even if it's not wide.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »
if you're widening your stance, pay attention to your shoes and bar placement. you're a bit higher-bar and wear shoes with a heel, so it might be better for you to just stick with the less wide placement. important thing is to find where you're strongest, even if it's not wide.

Yeah, I hear ya, I know exactly what you're talking about.  I noticed a difference right away when I widened the stance a bit, even on the lighter weight.  I'm gonna play around with it for the next couple of weeks to find the right spot.   8)

Today was a travel day.  I managed to get in a bicep workout this morning (about 10 sets) and 45 minutes of cardio.  The cardio actually felt good, as my hips were really tight from squatting yesterday.  I did another 50 minutes of cardio this evening.  Not sure if I will train tomorrow, I may just do cardio.  If I do train, it's gonna be a light one. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
Yesterday was a bunch of random stuff - light shoulder work with dumbells, rotator cuff work (cables, very light, high reps), abs (lots!), and calves.  Also double cardios yesterday - 45 mins each.

Today was a moderate deadlift workout.  Last one of these before I change things up for the final couple weeks of training before the meet.

DEADS
warmup - barx15, 95x12, 135x5
165x5
185x5
205x5
155x5/7 sets

Dudes, 185x5 felt sooooooo easy!  205x5 wasn't a total cakewalk, but it wasn't that hard at all.  I remember when I started deadlifting 12 weeks or so ago (for the first time in like 4-5 years), and I did 175x5 and it was sooooooo heavy.  No matter what happens at this meet, I have to say that I am very happy with the progress I made in such a short time, especially while dieting!

SUMOS
155x3
165x3
165x3

This is the last time I'll do the sumos until after the meet.  I'm pulling conventional (and raw) at the meet, and I just did the sumos tonight for a little extra leg work and because I felt like it.  Also, I recently found this clip of this little girl pulling sumo, and she did a major crazy divebomb down to grab the bar, and it was really good!  It kinda inspired me to work on the dive down to the bar.  I can definitely get the hang of that with some more practice.... later.   8)

SLDL
105x5 slooooooooooooooooow/3 sets

I finished with 4 sets of wide grip pulldowns and another 30 mins of cardio.  50 mins of cardio this morning.

Tomorrow is a cardio only day, and probably just one session in the morning.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2008, 07:08:15 AM »
The competitor list for USPF Nats was posted... Bad news is that I have NO competition in any of the events, assuming I make the weight class (which I better!).   Like NONE.  I guess the good news is that I have absolutely nothing to be nervous about.   ::)

Johnnie Jackson is doing push/pull.  I'm hoping they combine the meet into one day so I can watch some of the guys. 

http://www.ripl.org/ourcompetitors.html

Yesterday was AM cardio only, and I skipped it this morning (too tired from travelling), so I haven't done anything today. I am hoping to get the bench shirt on tonight if all goes well.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »
your competition is yourself. whether you're alone in your class or you're up against 20 people you'll never beat, just focus on beating you.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2008, 07:54:34 AM »
your competition is yourself. whether you're alone in your class or you're up against 20 people you'll never beat, just focus on beating you.

Well YEAH, of course... but you have to admit, it's a little more fun when there's at least someone competing against you!  I feel the same way about BB... after all of the hard work to get to the competition, I want as many people in my class as possible.  It makes victory that much sweeter.   8)

But I know, it totally doesn't matter, esp for my first time through the squat and DL.  It'll be a great experience.  I am just generally disappointed by the low number of female competitors in the PL events up this way.  This is Nationals FFS!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Bench shirt workout tonight.  Good one.   ;D

BENCH
warmup - barx15, 95x10, 135x5
Bench shirt and wrist wraps for all sets (I used the APT convict pro wrist wraps, totally loved them, they are awesome)
205 x 2 - air turns but I actually came quite close on both of them
225 x 1
235 x 1
235 x 1
245 x 1 - touched and paused with commands.  New PB.   8)  It was totally good except my ass might have lifted, not sure.  I was pretty psyched regardless.
225 x 2
I was getting tired, and my shoulders were on fire... I decided to leave it there and not push my luck since it went really well.

CLOSE GRIPS - last time I'll do these before the meet. 
135 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5

I only did 15 minutes of cardio today.   :o

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »
Nice PR!!! :D

15 mins of cardio? I lost more calories typing this message! ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2008, 06:32:27 PM »
Nice PR!!! :D

15 mins of cardio? I lost more calories typing this message! ;D

Thanks!  I made up the cardio today.... double sessions (45 mins), lots of abs, not much else.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »
I still need to start doing cardio. Hm.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2008, 06:39:05 PM »
I still need to start doing cardio. Hm.

Its a crutch.  NO NEED BWAHAHAHAHAHA (says the guy at 20%+)

Jason

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
Cardio sucks.  Apparently, I need to do more of it.  I took my 12 weeks out progress pics for the North Americans today, and I wasn't too happy with how far along my conditioning is.  Less carbs and double cardios from now on.

Today - 50 mins AM cardio

SQUATS
warmup- barx15, 95x10, 135x5
Belt on-
175x3
185x3
195x3/2 sets
205x3- this was a little shaky
165x3/4 sets

I trained alone again on this one...no spotters on any of the sets.  I think I might have a little more in me if I have a spotter behind me. 

It doesn't really seem like I need to do much more for my legs at this point, so I finished up with 4 sets of seated calf raises and another 50 mins cardio.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2008, 11:15:51 PM »
Cardio sucks.  Apparently, I need to do more of it.  I took my 12 weeks out progress pics for the North Americans today, and I wasn't too happy with how far along my conditioning is.  Less carbs and double cardios from now on.

Today - 50 mins AM cardio

SQUATS
warmup- barx15, 95x10, 135x5
Belt on-
175x3
185x3
195x3/2 sets
205x3- this was a little shaky
165x3/4 sets

I trained alone again on this one...no spotters on any of the sets.  I think I might have a little more in me if I have a spotter behind me. 
It doesn't really seem like I need to do much more for my legs at this point, so I finished up with 4 sets of seated calf raises and another 50 mins cardio.

The ONLY exercise I use a spotter on is heavy squats (well sometimes heavy incline presses), but that is it, and I do need a spotter on Squats to get the workout I need.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2008, 04:25:25 AM »
The ONLY exercise I use a spotter on is heavy squats (well sometimes heavy incline presses), but that is it, and I do need a spotter on Squats to get the workout I need.

Squats and bench press.  I can't even unrack the weight on the bench without a spotter.  I'm really hoping to train with my hubby for squats later this week, but it's racing season too, and things get busy and complicated!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2008, 03:09:27 PM »
Rip,

Do you do your morning cardio on an empty stomach?

You are doing great, keep up the good work!

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
Rip,

Do you do your morning cardio on an empty stomach?

You are doing great, keep up the good work!

8)

Yep, empty, as long as I do it pretty much right when I get up.  Thanks.  :)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
Yesterday, I did double cardios, 50 mins AM and 40 mins PM.  I did some light dumbell work for shoulders and rotator cuffs yesterday before PM cardio.

Today, I am travelling, so it was cardio only - 50 mins AM and one hour PM.  Tomorrow (Weds) is another travel day, but I will hit AM cardio, and I do plan on getting to the gym and deadlifting tomorrow night. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »
Long day today.  50 mins AM cardio.  I travelled today... went from the airport this afternoon and did a second cardio 50 mins, had a protein shake, and then went to the gym to deadlift.

DEADS
warmup - barx15, 95x12, 135x5
I used my belt tonight for the first time.  Not sure if I like it. 
185x3
225x3/2 sets
255x2
275x2 *holy shit, this was really heavy.  I actually can't believe I got it. 
225x3/2 sets
I ran out of gas after the 275 set.  My arms were killing me around the elbows.

SLDL
105x5/3 sets

4 sets of wide grip pulldowns.  I am only doing these because I am paranoid about width on my upper back.  I had to go light because I was completely exhausted.