Author Topic: NBA PLAYOFFS  (Read 62399 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: NBA PLAYOFFS
« Reply #650 on: June 16, 2008, 01:53:11 PM »

The Celtics have a hell of a lot more than 16 titles in their history. Most basketball historians agree that the Celtics are the greatest franchise ever. I'm not going to go into why, if you think all the Celtics have is titles, it's not even worth it.

It is definitely subject to debate.  I give more weight to titles in the modern era with the advent of the salary cap, free agency, more teams in the league.  I understand and appreciate the case that could be made for the Celts.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #651 on: June 16, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »
That guy is Paul Peirce. Kobe might be the best player in the world, but Peirce has done far more in this series, and he's hurt. If you don't think Perice is RELISHING the opportunity to win a championship in Boston, you don't know him. Other than his steal last night, what has Kobe done that has been so huge? Peirce was shredding the entire Lakers defense last night!

The Celtics missed Perkins last night, and KG was only allowed to play 17 seconds in the first half. That last foul called on him, was horrible. He could have tied it, and put the Celtics in a position to win, but he had a really tough game last night. Perice was just unstopable, and anyone not named Kobe couldn't defend him. I thought Gasol did a good job last night, and Odem played well also. I have to applaud the Celtics, for not acting like the Laker's, and some of their fans when calls didn't go their way. Kobe is the best player in the world, but he is the biggest CRYBABY I have ever seen. The Celtics should have gotten a lot of calls they didn't get last night, and hopefully it evans out in Boston. But, it's the lakers hosue, so I have no problem with the officiating at all. It's not the reason the Celtics lost, the Lakers played better last night. That said, this series went exactly how I thought it would go, and now it's up the the celts to close it out at home. I think it goes seven games, but I hope i'm wrong.

I applaud Peirce's MVP caliber performance.  But he is not facing a Celts defense which is geared to stopping only one player.  It is apples and oranges.

body88

« Reply #652 on: June 16, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »
it doesn't matter if they did it in more decades, the celtics have more overall titles and they will add another one some time this week

hockey is far more exciting than basketball imo, it's not even close and i like basketball

E

More decades is rhetoric for we don't have as many titles, so lets try to figure out some other way to explain away the fact we don't have as many titles. The Celtics have a bit more history than the Laker's as well - IMO.

That said, the Lakers are a FANTASTIC franchise and second only to the Celtics. I would list them 1a and 1b honestly.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #653 on: June 16, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
More decades is rhetoric for we don't have as many titles, so lets try to figure out some other way to explain away the fact we don't have as many titles. The Celtics have more history than the Laker's as well.

I appreciate your 1a and 1b comment.  I can see your point.  That being said, I don't consider it rhetoric.  I consider it to be a valid consideration, the level of competition (how many teams were in the league when the Celts were on their title runs etc), the challenges franchises now face in order to stay on top.  Why has no team repeated since the Lakers three-peat at the beginning of the decade?  You can disagree with me fine, but it is worthy of discussion.

body88

« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »
I don't consider it rhetoric.  I consider it to be a valid consideration, the level of competition (how many teams were in the league when the Celts were on their title runs), the challenges franchises now face in order to stay on top.  Why has no team repeated since the Lakers three-peat at the beginning of the decade?  You can disagree with me fine, but it is worthy of discussion.

I know, and I'm glad we are having it. You caught my post before I added the rest of what I had to say. Check it out. Sorry, I'm at work right now.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
I know, and I'm glad we are having it. You caught my post before I added the rest of what I had to say. Check it out. Sorry, I'm at work right now.

Me too.  I have respect for what you say in your posts even when we don't see eye to eye.  I hope the rest of the series is a classic, no matter who emerges with the title.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »

Kobe has not yet played to all the hype he's *still* getting from his jock-riding press corps. 

It's almost as if they're begrudgingly giving Paul Pierce his props, despite the fact that he's destroying LA in this series. 

Even on the clinching steal last night, Pierce had beaten Kobe who benefitted from a very generous no-call in that situation. 

I'm not at all happy with how the Lakers have played these Finals, but I do like their chances to get it to 7. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »
Paul Pierce is an amazing player.. Funny how everyone is riding his coatail just now.

He's been one of the best for almost a decade now. I remember back when the Nets went to the finals two years straight.. Back then, Pierce always gave the Nets trouble even though he played on a horrible Celtics team where the only real help he had was Antawn Walker. I rember in one game against NJ Pierce had 2 points in the first half, and 46 in the second half for a total of 48.

The fact that he's so good on both good and bad teams speaks volumes about what kind of athlete he is. Many players average 25ppg playing on crappy teams, but can't do it in the post season. Pierce has shown he can do both. Hats off to this guy.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »
Kobe's steal was a foul, he didnt even touch the ball. cant really blame the refs for that though they can only call it in real time obvioulsy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
I never really watched Pierce play before this series, because Boston sucked so they were hardly ever on nationally televised games. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #660 on: June 16, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »
I never really watched Pierce play before this series, because Boston sucked so they were hardly ever on nationally televised games. 

I knew he was a baller, but didn't expect him to totally own us all series long. 

Kobe's steal was a foul, he didnt even touch the ball. cant really blame the refs for that though they can only call it in real time obviously.

He did touch the ball as he poked it away, but that reach-around move is almost always called a foul, even when it's not...and on that play, I believe there was a foul and we're lucky it wasn't called.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #661 on: June 16, 2008, 06:48:03 PM »
I knew he was a baller, but didn't expect him to totally own us all series long. 

He did touch the ball as he poked it away, but that reach-around move is almost always called a foul, even when it's not...and on that play, I believe there was a foul and we're lucky it wasn't called.

I doubt it

Unless you say him torment the Nets and the Knicks for years, you wouldn't know how good he was.  ;)

It's just funny to me that people are just now giving him credit(as they should) because I always knew. Weird how these things work out.

body88

« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »
I doubt it

Unless you say him torment the Nets and the Knicks for years, you wouldn't know how good he was.  ;)

It's just funny to me that people are just now giving him credit(as they should) because I always knew. Weird how these things work out.

I have been saying Peirce was underrated for years, since he got knifed 11 times at a club in China town.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
I doubt it

I never liked him because he was a KU guy. 

That being said, I feel that the media has to give props when due and they've all been very reluctant to talk TRUTHFULLY about Pierce so far this series because of their love affair with Kobe.  I'm a Laker fan, but that ticks me off. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #664 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »
The celtics did there thang!

Maybe call Shaq to comeback

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #665 on: June 17, 2008, 10:00:44 PM »
definitely a good decade to be a boston sports fan

E
E

body88

« Reply #666 on: June 17, 2008, 10:17:14 PM »
definitely a good decade to be a boston sports fan

E

True.... I think Boston sports fans deserve it. So many years of heart ache, and dedication to their teams is paying off. I have seen 3 superbowls, 2 world series, an NBA championship and a few college titles in the last seven years.

It is a great time to be a Boston sports fan, and I am looking forward to many more competitive years.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #667 on: June 17, 2008, 10:59:23 PM »
Did u see KG's post interview.."guy-motherfucka" hahahahaha love this guy.

body88

« Reply #668 on: June 18, 2008, 07:16:37 AM »

Haha, the guys a beast. Funny story about KG... A friend of mine is was a temp team doctor with the Celtics. I guess KG runs the locker room, and they always request a certain menu of food for the players. This guy tells me, he decided to take a little food from the team table when he thought the Celts where done eating. He had been working all night, and he was starving. Now mind you, this is a former college football player, and he is a pretty big dude.

I guess KG happened to see him eating from his table, and he got in the guys face. He said KG was screaming at him in front of the entire locker room, for daring to touch the teams food. He said that KG was all over him the second he touched the food, and that if anyone dares mess with any players, KG goes off. I guess he runs the locker room with authority, and he can be a dick. Anyway, my friend quit ( because of the incident) , and that was that.

I know a few of the Celtics dancers, so I asked them about KG's intensity - ( because I thought my friend may have been exagerating), and they confirmed that KG is bad ass sob. I bet if they mess up on a dance move, KG slaps them across the teeth with his wang, haha.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #669 on: June 18, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
PATHETIC

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #670 on: June 18, 2008, 02:49:48 PM »
N-i-g-g-a and muthafucka....dont edit my words..KG said it.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #671 on: June 18, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »
N-i-g-g-a and muthafucka....dont edit my words..KG said it.
that is pathetic. the greats wouldnt say that.

body88

« Reply #672 on: June 18, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
that is pathetic. the greats wouldnt say that.

Are you a Laker fan?

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #673 on: June 18, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »
Not too much props were given to Doc River's coaching.  Boston's bench also provided a spark whenever they rested the big three. 

What did we find out in this series?

The triangle needs TWO bonafide scoring threats who will not disappear in crunch occasions.

European players are not suited to the physical play of the NBA. 

Phil can't win unless he has two superstars.

European players are terrible at defending shooters who use two to three screens.

Defense STILL wins championships.

Pierce has always been great, he has just been hiding under a rock in Boston. 

Ray Allen can still light it up. 

Bynum was really missed by the Lakers.

No one can defend a good PG on the Lakers. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #674 on: June 18, 2008, 04:35:26 PM »
Are you a Laker fan?
No. i was pushing for the Celts. just think it speaks about someones character to use those words during a championship moment like that. if KG did say that i mean, i didnt hear it myself. but i dont think Bill Russel or the Cheif would have said that.
regardless though im glad Pierce, Allen, KG, and PJ got their rings.
cant stand Kobe, though he is great offensively.