Author Topic: NBA PLAYOFFS  (Read 62879 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: NBA PLAYOFFS
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »
The Lakers played thier hearts out, and won the game by 7 points, while our two biggest weapons went 9 - 33. The Lakers had the foul advantage, and Kobe had a good game. To me, it looks like Gasol and Odem are playing with no fire. The Celtics will win this thing in the end IMO.

The sad part is that, for all the hype, we've seen 3 very poorly played games so far. 

The Celtics have the advantage right now, and they've got more good players on the court. 

Even though the Celtics were called for 5 more personal fouls, I don't think that's a large discrepancy, especially considering that 2 of the Laker starters - Odom and Radmanovic - were saddled with 3 each pretty early.  Yes, you guys lost Pierce, but we were down 2 guys.  No, I'm not suggesting that either - or even both combined - equals a Paul Pierce, but they are 2 bodies that we needed on the court and they weren't there. 

I agree with a point you made at the start - that LA played about as hard as they could...and barely won.  Yes, they need shots to fall, but if you watched the entire game, you noticed that LA outplayed Boston pretty badly and yet Boston still had a very real chance to win and put the series away. 

Sure, I want LA to win, but what I really want is an increased level of play from both teams.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2008, 10:46:46 AM »

I was happy with the game... KG and Peirce went 9 - 33, and where pretty much useless last night. I knew the Lakers would get all the calls -(rightfully so), and to be as close to winning as the Celtics where, makes me confident the Celtics will win this thing in the end.

Overall, I was happy with the game too.  If the Lakers hit their FTs the game isn't close.  I still like their chances in the series.  The Celtics have no answer for Kobe.  They don't have a player who can just takeover the game in the fourth like he does.  As long as the game is close going into the fourth, which it should be, the Lakers have the edge. 

KG is just being KG.  He never dominates in the playoffs.  Gasol is doing a great job on him. 

If Gasol and Odom get their act together the Lakers will win games 4 and 5 IMO. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2008, 10:48:24 AM »
The sad part is that, for all the hype, we've seen 3 very poorly played games so far. 

The Celtics have the advantage right now, and they've got more good players on the court. 

Even though the Celtics were called for 5 more personal fouls, I don't think that's a large discrepancy, especially considering that 2 of the Laker starters - Odom and Radmanovic - were saddled with 3 each pretty early.  Yes, you guys lost Pierce, but we were down 2 guys.  No, I'm not suggesting that either - or even both combined - equals a Paul Pierce, but they are 2 bodies that we needed on the court and they weren't there. 

I agree with a point you made at the start - that LA played about as hard as they could...and barely won.  Yes, they need shots to fall, but if you watched the entire game, you noticed that LA outplayed Boston pretty badly and yet Boston still had a very real chance to win and put the series away. 

Sure, I want LA to win, but what I really want is an increased level of play from both teams.

Boston played as well as they could play in game 2 and were only up by 2 with under a minute to play.  They played very well in game 1 and the Lakers were only down by 4 late in the fourth. 

body88

« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »
Boston played as well as they could play in game 2 and were only up by 2 with under a minute to play.  They played very well in game 1 and the Lakers were only down by 4 late in the fourth. 

Thats true, but the Celtics dominated those games at times, and the Lakers at there best didn't dominate Boston. Typically, game three in a finals series shows the down teams best shot. If thats the case this year, the lakers are in trouble. A few things I saw, the lakers didn't do anything special on d, they put Kobe on Rondo, and Allen tore them a new one. True, Rondo couldent penetrate as deep into the defense as game two, but Allen was tearing it up. House can combat that move by Jackson moving forward. Had KG and Peirce not gone 9-33 the Celtics would have won the game, plain and simple. People would be calling Jackson out over it. Fisher cannot gaurd Allen. KG held both Gasol, and Odem to 18 points combined. Peirce and KG where great in all parts of their game except shooting, so im not worried at all about last nights loss. What the Lakers did do, was up there intensity, and ask Kobe to carry the team. Which is not going to work over the long haul for the lakers. I look at our defense, and I dont see any breakdowns. As a lakers fan, you should be worried because, the celtics defense is still the same, and they can contain LA during their best games, and the Celtics have the scoring ability to beat you straight up. They Celtics aren't going to shoot 33 percent as a team to many times, and since the d is the exact same, I think they beat the Lakers in the end. If you have the celtics shooting like they did over the first two games of this series, plus the d, they overpower the Lakers. I look at the Celtics d, because im not worried about LA's defense. Pretty much every shot KG and Peirce missed where open looks, and the ball just didnt fall for them. Aside from Kobe, none of the lakers are bangers, and they don't make stops. I see the Celtics making Kobe earn everything he gets, and swarming to make stops, and the Lakers didn't pull away. Blocked shots, contested shots, rebounds, steals and swarming defense is something the Lakers cannot match.

The national media overrated the lakers, they unerrated the Celtics bench and ignored the defense. Not sure why you would feel good having to win 2 our of three games in Boston, unless you are ignoring Boston record in the garden.

Just my take on the game, I could be wrong and the lakers could storm back to win this thing. Just my .2.......

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »

Here are the facts, the lakers didn't do anything special on d, they put Kobe on Rondo, and Allen tore them a new one. True, Rondo couldent penetrate as deep into the defense as game two, but Allen was tearing it up. Had KG and Peirce not gone 9-33 the Celtics would have won the game. People would be calling Jackson out over it. Fisher cannot gaurd Allen. KG held both Gasol, and Odem to 18 points combined. Peirce and KG where great in all parts of their game except shooting, so im not worried at all about last nights loss. I look at our defense, and I dont see any breakdowns. As a lakers fan, you should be worried because, the celtics defense is still the same, and they can contain LA during their best games, and the Celtics have the scoring ability to beat you straight up. They Celtics aren't going to shoot 33 percent as a team to many times, and since the d is the exact same, I think they beat the Lakers in the end. You have the celtics shooting like they  did over the first two games of this series, plus the d, they overpower the Lakers. I look at the Celtics d, because im not worried about LA's defense. Pretty much every shot KG and Peirce missed where open looks, and the ball just didnt fall for them. Aside from Kobe, none of the lakers are bangers. I see the Celtics making Kobe earn everything he gets, and swarming to make stops.

The national media overrated the lakers, they unerrated the Celtics bench and ignored the defense. Not sure why you would feel good having to win 2 our of three games in Boston, unless you are ignoring Boston record in the garden.

Just my take on the game, I could be wrong and the lakers could storm back to win this thing. Just my .2.......

I wouldn't call scoring 25 points tearing them a new one.  Allen had a good game.  Hit a bunch of open threes, which accounted for most of his scoring.  He was burned, repeatedly, by Kobe on D, so on balance his good game isn't really so good.

The reason Boston shot such a bad percentage yesterday is the Lakers played very good D.  The Lakers are a very good defensive team.  Boston is too. 

KG did a very good job on Gasol yesterday.  Great block on one shot.  He needed that after Gasol dunked right in his grill in game 2.   :)

The reason I'd be worried if I were a Celtics fan is they can't guard Kobe, the Celtics are not consistently good on offense, and they don't have a closer like Kobe.

I think the Lakers have a very good shot to win games 4 and 5 and the series, if they play like they did in game 3 (and hit their FTs).  But we'll see.  Good series so far.       

body88

« Reply #555 on: June 11, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
I wouldn't call scoring 25 points tearing them a new one.  Allen had a good game.  Hit a bunch of open threes, which accounted for most of his scoring.  He was burned, repeatedly, by Kobe on D, so on balance his good game isn't really so good.

The reason Boston shot such a bad percentage yesterday is the Lakers played very good D.  The Lakers are a very good defensive team.  Boston is too. 

KG did a very good job on Gasol yesterday.  Great block on one shot.  He needed that after Gasol dunked right in his grill in game 2.   :)

The reason I'd be worried if I were a Celtics fan is they can't guard Kobe, the Celtics are not consistently good on offense, and they don't have a closer like Kobe.

I think the Lakers have a very good shot to win games 4 and 5 and the series, if they play like they did in game 3 (and hit their FTs).  But we'll see.  Good series so far.       

I'm sorry thats just not true. Nobody can gaurd Kobe, but Kobe cant win this on his own. Celtics win the series, bet on it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #556 on: June 11, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »

I'm sorry thats just not true. Nobody can gaurd Kobe, but Kobe cant win this on his own. Celtics win the series, bet on it.

I guess we watched different games then.  I saw a very good defensive performance by L.A.  They held Boston to 34.9 percent shooting for the game, with KG's 9-21 accounting for much of this.  KG shot 9-21 because Gasol and Ronny did a great job defending him.  Turned him exclusively into a jump shooter.   

I agree Kobe cannot win on his own.  Yesterday Sasha stepped up.  Tomorrow it might Gasol, Odom, or Fish.  But yes, he needs help. 

I wouldn't bet on the winner of this series.  It can go either way IMO. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #557 on: June 11, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »
game 4 will be the best game of this series.

Lakers are coming back   :-*

body88

« Reply #558 on: June 11, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »
I guess we watched different games then.  I saw a very good defensive performance by L.A.  They held Boston to 34.9 percent shooting for the game, with KG's 9-21 accounting for much of this.  KG shot 9-21 because Gasol and Ronny did a great job defending him.  Turned him exclusively into a jump shooter.   

I agree Kobe cannot win on his own.  Yesterday Sasha stepped up.  Tomorrow it might Gasol, Odom, or Fish.  But yes, he needs help. 

I wouldn't bet on the winner of this series.  It can go either way IMO. 

I guess so, that low shooting percentage was missed shots. I saw open looks, and little to no contesting of shots by the lakers. KG is a great shooter, and it was clear to me, that he didn't have it last night. He was missing slams, and easy gimmies also. Pierce and KG had open shots, they just didn't make them. As Kobe would say "bunnies". I'm not making excuses, making the shots is part of the game, and the Celtics didn't make them last night, so they lost. I believe that Boston will play much better offensivley, and the difference in defense will win them the series. All I saw last night was Kobe put on Rondo, and a far more aggressive laker team, which translated to more points from the line. I stick to my opinion, the lakers are not a great defensive team, and the Celtics didn't have any serious defensive break downs last night. They simply got no help from there two best players, and I don't think the lakers d was the cause of it. I think that the Celtics will improve there scoring percentage, to the level of the first two games, and the defense will remain consistant.

Imo the fact that LA played the way they did, and KG and Pierce struggled the way they did gives me more fiath that the Celtics will win this series. I don't believe LA's defense was the cause of there offensive struggles. Just my opinion of course.

body88

« Reply #559 on: June 11, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »
game 4 will be the best game of this series.

Lakers are coming back   :-*

I disagree, if history holds true, last night will be LA's best game....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #560 on: June 11, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
I guess so, that low shooting percentage was missed shots. I saw open looks, and little to no contesting of shots by the lakers. KG is a great shooter, and it was clear to me, that he didn't have it last night. He was missing slams, and easy gimmies also. Pierce and KG had open shots, they just didn't make them. As Kobe would say "bunnies". I'm not making excuses, making the shots is part of the game, and the Celtics didn't make them last night, so they lost. I believe that Boston will play much better offensivley, and the difference in defense will win them the series. All I saw last night was Kobe put on Rondo, and a far more aggressive laker team, which translated to more points from the line. I stick to my opinon, the lakers are not a great defensive team, and the Celtics didn't have any serious defensive break down last night. They simply got no help from there two best players, and I don't think the lakers d was the cause of it.

Imo the fact that LA played the way they did, and KG and Pierce struggled the way they did gives me more fiath that the Celtics will win this series. I don't believe LA's defense was the cause of there offensive struggles. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah.  We just saw game 3 differently.  I saw a lot of contested shots.  Great help defense.  Very good man defense. 

One of us is bound to be right about the winner.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #561 on: June 11, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
I disagree, if history holds true, last night will be LA's best game....

What history?  The fact the Lakers took 4 straight from Denver, beat Utah at the toughest place in the NBA, took out the defending NBA champs in 5 games, or that Boston has only won 2 road games in these playoffs?  That history (these playoffs) is really the only history that matters. 

body88

« Reply #562 on: June 11, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
What history?  The fact the Lakers took 4 straight from Denver, beat Utah at the toughest place in the NBA, took out the defending NBA champs in 5 games, or that Boston has only won 2 road games in these playoffs?  That history (these playoffs) is really the only history that matters. 

I'm talking about NBA finals history. Game three is usually the down teams best game. I think i might be accurate on this one, as always I could be wrong.

body88

« Reply #563 on: June 11, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »
Yeah.  We just saw game 3 differently.  I saw a lot of contested shots.  Great help defense.  Very good man defense. 

One of us is bound to be right about the winner.   :)

Thats true, I just hope its the Celtics! :)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #564 on: June 11, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
KG hasnt showed up for this series yet...not sure if he will.

body88

« Reply #565 on: June 11, 2008, 03:52:19 PM »

KG held both Gasol and Odem to 18 points last night.... He has shown up defensivley, but your right, he needs to show up on the other side of the ball....

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »

True, but the fact that the Lakers found a way to lose both those games - even when they'd been blown out in Game 2, they had the Celtics reeling and Boston had essentially folded - is magnified because this is just a 7-game series. 

Even if we complete the unlikely home sweep, you're still facing the prospect of having to win Game 6 in Boston.  Take care of business in Game 1 and you could've wrapped this thing up right at home.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #567 on: June 11, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
true, there playing him well

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #568 on: June 11, 2008, 09:24:37 PM »
It seems like Boston is the better team so far to me. I picked Lakers in 6 but it may take 7 for them to win it if they can. I don't really see someone winning 4 straight in this series.

Gasol, Odom and KG are living up to their reps as being softer than rose petals.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #569 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:09 PM »
tre are you a frontrunner fan?

you root for the lakers and red wings ::)

E
E

body88

« Reply #570 on: June 12, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »
It seems like Boston is the better team so far to me. I picked Lakers in 6 but it may take 7 for them to win it if they can. I don't really see someone winning 4 straight in this series.

Gasol, Odom and KG are living up to their reps as being softer than rose petals.

You think KG is soft? He won defensive player of the year, and held bot Odem and Gasol to 9 points each in the last game.  He has been struggling on the offensive side of the ball in this series for sure, but I wouldent call him soft, he plays defense.

I agree with you about Boston being the better team, I think they win it in seven. The lakers won't go down without a fight...

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #571 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

His only job is to get the Boston scoring higher, because they know LA is going to get its points (except in the 2nd half of Game 2). 

But LA lost Game 2 because they allowed him to get an offensive rebound late in the 4th by just standing there. 

Good series so far. 

You couldn't be more wrong.  While *all* the Celtics aren't consistently good, neither are the Lakers and the Lakers need their offense more than Boston needs theirs.  They don't need to contain Kobe if Gasol, Odom, and Radmanovich are missing wide open looks which they have all series long. 

Paul Pierce is at least 95% as good as Kobe when it comes to closing...witness Game 2 if you need any evidence. 

It's been a horrible series.  Only Game 3 has really been 'close' in the closing minutes (LA expended too much energy catching up from, what, 24 down in Game 2), and all 3 games have featured terrible play by both teams on both ends for almost the entire 48 minutes. 

I'm watching because I'm a Laker fan, not because these teams are playing the best basketball I've seen all season.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #572 on: June 12, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
tre are you a frontrunner fan?

you root for the lakers and red wings ::)

My favorites' history is very well-documented.  Do your research before spoutin' off!  ;)

NHL - Red Wings
NFL - Raiders
MLB - Hate all, but will check the Dodger score from time-to-time
NBA - Lakers
NASCAR - Tony Stewart (the anti-Jeff Gordon), Dale Jr., plus any Ford driver

I don't watch soccer, but know the names of some of the well-known international clubs. 

I pulled for the Giants in this year's Super Bowl, not because they're my team, but because I wanted someone to beat those evil Patriots.  I like Tony Dungy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
You think KG is soft? He won defensive player of the year, and held bot Odem and Gasol to 9 points each in the last game.  He has been struggling on the offensive side of the ball in this series for sure, but I wouldent call him soft, he plays defense.

I agree with you about Boston being the better team, I think they win it in seven. The lakers won't go down without a fight...

I wouldn't call him soft, but he has been handled pretty well by Gasol and Ronny.  They held him to 6 for 21 shooting in game 3.  The Lakers held Pierce to 2 for 14 in game 3.  That's a combined 8 for 35.   

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2008, 12:05:52 PM »
I heard people are wearing shirts that read "Paul Gasoft" serioulsy.