Author Topic: wide back?  (Read 15204 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: wide back?
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »
You seem entirely absorbed in it, for some reason. What's up with that other than having no life...stick to training advice, if you have any.
I put training advice in my last post and your fat, pasty white ass deleted it, NAZI!!!!!!!!! >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2008, 07:29:28 PM »
I put training advice in my last post and your fat, pasty white ass deleted it, NAZI!!!!!!!!! >:(

MELTDOWN...Still waiting for the informed training info.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »
MELTDOWN...Still waiting for the informed training info.
Here's how to get big........

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »
Narrow grip for width, wide grip for inner back.  Most people have that backwards.

Do you have any links with research backing this up? Everyone has a different opinion and seeing some facts or proof would be awesome!!! ;)

I trust you more than others just so you know, and you seem to be very kowlegeable in many areas....

I just though I'd ask anyways cause I read articles before saying the wider the grip the wider the back.

I think flex wheeler was doing wide grip rows to, and he said the wider grip developes more width?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2008, 10:13:04 PM »
the problem is: this is the wrong question. you can't make a muscle grow "outward" or "inward", it just grows.

so, what MAKES a back wide? lats. thus things that hit the lats will make it "wide". i'd say any vertical pulling works on that one. a thick back? that's the traps and all the central back muscles, which a lot of people say is more the target of the rows.

so if there is in fact any way to train for "width" or "thickness" specifically, just shift your focus to vertical or horizontal pulling, depending on what ya need.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »
the problem is: this is the wrong question. you can't make a muscle grow "outward" or "inward", it just grows.

so, what MAKES a back wide? lats. thus things that hit the lats will make it "wide". i'd say any vertical pulling works on that one. a thick back? that's the traps and all the central back muscles, which a lot of people say is more the target of the rows.

so if there is in fact any way to train for "width" or "thickness" specifically, just shift your focus to vertical or horizontal pulling, depending on what ya need.
so you dont think that you can put more stress on one area of a muscle than another ? so inclines hit lower chest as effectively as declines do? and decllines hit upper chest as effectively as inclines do?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2008, 05:00:36 AM »
i wouldnt care much what flex did for anything to be honest. too much of a genetic wonderboy

show me someone with a weak back that was able to bring it, that would be interesting
Z

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2008, 05:33:47 AM »
Boy,talk about a thread veering way off course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just lift,eat,rest,and repeat !!  :)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »
Boy,talk about a thread veering way off course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just lift,eat,rest,and repeat !!  :)

bingo!!

and candy, that's correct. EMG tests will evidence that enough. oddly enough, decline dumbbell presses hit more of the pectoral muscles than incline barbell presses. that's overall, not any one specific area.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »
bingo!!

and candy, that's correct. EMG tests will evidence that enough. oddly enough, decline dumbbell presses hit more of the pectoral muscles than incline barbell presses. that's overall, not any one specific area.

You saying we should not do inclines, declines and flat? Just pick one and stick to it?
E

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
If you have the bone structure and muscle inserts for an extra wide back, you should have no trouble to meet that full potential. Close to medium curl grip pulls (chins & bent over rows) call upon the lats more and seem to work well for most trainee's. But than again there are no absolutes in exercises. Wide may work for you much better. Have to find out for yourself how the body respones. Example; Like BP's may do nothing for the pec's, while dip can build slabs of muscle on them.

If doing DL's, or SLDl's, try to have the grip touching (or as near as you can) the inside collars. This extra wide grip give a great stretch and feel to the lat's. Consider the bent arm pullover, either BB or DB, as a top lat builder. This can be a great compound movement when heavier weight is used. The triceps, pec's and abs get there share of work also. If your gym has a quality pullover machine, with the elbows pulling, than by all means use that as a preferred lat builder.Good Luck.
F

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2008, 09:17:36 AM »
You saying we should not do inclines, declines and flat? Just pick one and stick to it?

if we're going to use the example of pros, we could point out that dorian only did inclines and i'd say his chest looked just fine.

you can mix things up for variety's sake, but don't fall into the trap of saying "well if don't do inclines i'll have a droopy chest" or "if i only do underhand chins my back won't get wide". there's no evidence of this, that's why no one can agree on where to grip for "width versus thickness". ::)

like wes said: lift, eat, sleep, repeat. quit overcomplicating it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
like wes said: lift, eat, sleep, repeat. quit overcomplicating it.

There's something to it but it's also smart to try different stuff, pay attention and find out what works.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »
sstick to flat bench and watch how your chest looks. ... loll... 

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »
sstick to flat bench and watch how your chest looks. ... loll... 
I once saw a guy with some ass pecs they were drooopy like they were going (nipples) outward towards his armpits all he did was bench he told me.  Then I saw another guy in college all he did was bench and had a great chest I guess its based on your genetics how your muscle flows from what excercise who knows...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2008, 08:00:54 PM »
There's something to it but it's also smart to try different stuff, pay attention and find out what works.

well yeah, that's 100% true. you can't just pick random lifts and go for it. like JOCK said, one guy might not respond well to just flat benching all the time, another might. some guys really rock out the incline, generally it just screws up my shoulders (even working 135 aches no matter how i tweak my form). one guy'll get great legs from squats, another just gets ass and lower back.

find a basic lift that your muscles respond well to, work the hell out of it with progressively heavier weights, with some other things for variety (i don't think many people have the mental focus to do, say, 45 minutes of nothing but heavy sets of deadlifts).