Author Topic: Ask Disgusted.....Q&A thread  (Read 98197 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Ask Disgusted.....Q&A thread
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »
whats dessicated thyorid, how does it work..... and cant you prohibit t3 from eating muscle by eating enough protein ?

You can look up Armour thyroid also. It comes from pigs and is the correct ratio of t3 and t4 for humans. Since eating too much protein does not mean that your body will use it for muscle building this does not correct the overuse of T3.

the_doc

• Getbig II
  • Bigger Stronger Faster
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »

I have a very strong opinion about statins soooo this is only my opinion and I am not suggesting that you in any way construe this as medical advise. IMO stain drugs are deadly and have NOOOOOOOO use in humans. The muscle wasting I have seen in MANY people and it can be deadly and they are very hard on the liver MUCH more than steroids can ever be. I would NEVER take them no matter what.

Sorry disgusted, you must be exagerating there. I'm not advocating BB's take statins "just in case" but they are a very usefull drug for many people. Rhabdomyalisis(muscle breakdown) and elevated liver enzymes are well documented side effects but very rare and you haven't seen them in many people and they are not harder on the liver than steroids. I think you give out lots of good advice on here and I generally like you're style but i couldn't let such a false exageration go unchecked.

Otherwise great thread,

regards,
the Doc :)
The Dude Abides

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »
Sorry disgusted, you must be exagerating there. I'm not advocating BB's take statins "just in case" but they are a very usefull drug for many people. Rhabdomyalisis(muscle breakdown) and elevated liver enzymes are well documented side effects but very rare and you haven't seen them in many people and they are not harder on the liver than steroids. I think you give out lots of good advice on here and I generally like you're style but i couldn't let such a false exageration go unchecked.

Otherwise great thread,

regards,

"and elevated liver enzymes are well documented side effects but very rare and you haven't seen them in many people"

I happen to know 2 people personally that they almost caused permanent damage to and the dumbass Doctor told both that they needed them to prevent heart attack  ::) and it's very easy to browse the net and find PLENTY more. They are a scam drug that have ZERO use!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2008, 05:01:43 AM »
Mr D, what is your opinion of consuming fruit post workout? Say, a banana and an apple... followed by a protein shake a few minutes later...

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2008, 06:29:46 AM »

Otherwise great thread,

regards,

i agree with disgusted doc. I recommend you read the great cholesterol con by Anthony Colpo:

http://www.thegreatcholesterolcon.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Cholesterol-Con-Anthony-Colpo/dp/1430309334

it is a great read and goes into great depth on analysis of statins, referencing thousands of studies. If you do i believe you will think differently.

The Fatpanda. :D
175lbs by 31st July

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:06 AM »
Hi Disgusted :)

How do you feel about soy sauce during contest prep?  I'm not as concerned about the sodium as much as I am about using a soy-based product.  Am I over-thinking things?

Thanks!
:)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2008, 08:39:27 AM »
Mr D, what is your opinion of consuming fruit post workout? Say, a banana and an apple... followed by a protein shake a few minutes later...
im not disgusted... but just in case you are thinkig about sdoing this today and he hasnt answered by then...... fruits are far from ideal; especially post workout....    for a thousand reasons...    good thread on the nutrition board right now about simple carbs post workout..  check it out.... and in it we are talking about glucose which goes to muscles; and fruits aremostly fructose that go to the liver...so take what is said and intensely multiply it...    fruits= no no

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »
im not disgusted... but just in case you are thinkig about sdoing this today and he hasnt answered by then...... fruits are far from ideal; especially post workout....    for a thousand reasons...    good thread on the nutrition board right now about simple carbs post workout..  check it out.... and in it we are talking about glucose which goes to muscles; and fruits aremostly fructose that go to the liver...so take what is said and intensely multiply it...    fruits= no no

Not even a banana? Damn, Mr. C!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »
Not even a banana? Damn, Mr. C!
its just a poor choice of food is all

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »

Gotta agree with Can bro, some good protein after a workout is best. There is nothing magical about taking in some kind of carb right after a workout.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »
Hi Disgusted :)

How do you feel about soy sauce during contest prep?  I'm not as concerned about the sodium as much as I am about using a soy-based product.  Am I over-thinking things?

Thanks!

The best answer for this is the shortest and that is that yes, you are over thinking.  ;D  You are also correct about not worrying about the soium too, imo.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »
Gotta agree with Can bro, some good protein after a workout is best. There is nothing magical about taking in some kind of carb right after a workout.

So you wouldn't really recommend even a much-hyped product like Waxy Maize?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »

You know CD82 I used waxy maize for months and didnt notice any difference. I think it was all mental ( u know thinking i was getting great gains from it). But then again, i was probably too fat to be taking in all the carbs that I was at that time.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2008, 05:52:52 PM »
You know CD82 I used waxy maize for months and didnt notice any difference. I think it was all mental ( u know thinking i was getting great gains from it). But then again, i was probably too fat to be taking in all the carbs that I was at that time.

Thank you, Mr. F :)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2008, 06:25:20 PM »

Not unless I was taking slin and then I would just take some Carbo Hit.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »
I know you recommend a low carb diet Jim, do you advocate a carb up day as well? or do you think that is not needed.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2008, 07:28:24 PM »
I know you recommend a low carb diet Jim, do you advocate a carb up day as well? or do you think that is not needed.

You mean contest dieting? If so, I throw in carbs at specific times so yes, but not ususally on a daily baisis.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »
You mean contest dieting? If so, I throw in carbs at specific times so yes, but not ususally on a daily baisis.

So you dont have a certain diet that you advocate? Like there is no Disgusted diet? Like the Palumbo diet or something like that?

Do you just do whatever that particular person needs depending on how far along they are, how fat they are, how lean they are etc??

This is kinda confusing the way I typed this, but hopefully you can understand so the people that read this can learn something.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2008, 08:20:05 AM »

Thanks, Jim. I'll keep it simple and stick to a 2-scoop shake post-workout then :)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »

so you wouldn't take fast acting carbs pwo at all unless you were using slin?
tank u jesus

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »
So you dont have a certain diet that you advocate? Like there is no Disgusted diet? Like the Palumbo diet or something like that?

Do you just do whatever that particular person needs depending on how far along they are, how fat they are, how lean they are etc??

This is kinda confusing the way I typed this, but hopefully you can understand so the people that read this can learn something.

That's pretty much it. I don't do cookie cutter diets although 2 people in similar condition and size may start off with a very similar diet but it will differ as the weeks go by.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »
so you wouldn't take fast acting carbs pwo at all unless you were using slin?

Pretty much. There are different types of fast acting carbs, but I would never just eat fruit by itself right after a workout. Let's say after a workout I would eat some protein, complex carbs and then nothing wrong with eating some fruit too. When someone takes slin the only reason to take in carbs would be too keep your blood sugar up. Remember, protein builds muscle!

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »
Pretty much. There are different types of fast acting carbs, but I would never just eat fruit by itself right after a workout. Let's say after a workout I would eat some protein, complex carbs and then nothing wrong with eating some fruit too. When someone takes slin the only reason to take in carbs would be too keep your blood sugar up. Remember, protein builds muscle!

what about all this talk of depleting muscle glycogen and the need to restore it? are they wrong?
tank u jesus

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »
disgusted, i had no idea you did nutrition as well.

how about a sample diet for cuttting and a sample diet for bulking for a guy roughly 230... average metabolism.. average diet....     you could be as detailed or as general as youd like.

the_doc

• Getbig II
  • Bigger Stronger Faster
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »
"They are a scam drug that have ZERO use!"

just not true. very usefull for certain groups of patients eg familial hypercholeserolaemia and high risk cardiac disease. They should not be prescribed carelessly and pt's should be monitored for those important side effects you have highlighted. I'm afraid there are some shortsighted/singleminded docs out there and i'm sorry for those people you know. I'm happy however that you raised the important issue of the mindless prescribing of statins and (many other drugs for that matter) without good reason ie benefit clearly outweighing risk/cost.

Good link Panda :)
The Dude Abides