Author Topic: Show me your training splits!  (Read 3735 times)

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
Re: Show me your training splits!
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 06:52:55 PM »
yeah becuase everyone uses that term...    :-\
Ive been involved in weight training - BB for 15 years or so and its always been refered to as "assistance work"

Pullovers for width? Thats a newone on me Ive always seen it as more a serratus detailer though I can see it giving a good prestretch.

There is a powerlifter at my gym whos back work is pretty much deads and rowing along with explosive work like cleans high pulls etc ,never does chins and only uses the pulldownmachine to lightly warm up his lats and nothing more..he would have more width than you and I combined.
I asked for some tips on widening my back out like his and he said "row to grow bro"

Like you I to agree that you need to attack a muscle from different angles , but to discount rows and deads to just thickening is wrong.
Il try and get a pic of this guys back with my phone and post it up.its wide and thick , in fact all his training buddies are the same and none use chins and pulldowns are warm up so no big weight being moved.This guy stands out above them , it could be genetics but he is also the strongest of the group.

My Split
Mon:Chest
Tues:Back
Wed:off
Thur:Legs
Fri:Delts,Arms
Sat:Off
Sun:Off

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »
yeah becuase everyone uses that term...    :-\

yeah, they do. "assistance" is an extremely common term for any exercise that is intended to help with a specific part of a lift. maybe bodybuilders don't use it much, but it's VERY well-known within weightlifting circles.

you have to do more reading, man. this is like when SF asked me what bands were for despite claiming to have hung around powerlifters for the past decade.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »
well that makes sense then, because i have never read any powerlifting specific articles before... no interest in that... my only knowledge of strength based training is heavy weigh tlow reps and also heavy negatives

willg= i talked to mike mentzer later in his career ..he told me that theres no way i can grow unless i am working out one set per body part and one workout per body part every two weeks.   i also talked to jay cutler, who was with gustavo badell, and they both told me that i needed to work each muscle with 25-35 sets and so every week.  i talked to dante the other day and he said twice a week and unless i did weighted stretches afterwards that i had just wasted my time.

:D

they all look better than you and i combined so i should listen to them right??

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 12:31:16 AM »
well that makes sense then, because i have never read any powerlifting specific articles before... no interest in that... my only knowledge of strength based training is heavy weigh tlow reps and also heavy negatives

willg= i talked to mike mentzer later in his career ..he told me that theres no way i can grow unless i am working out one set per body part and one workout per body part every two weeks.   i also talked to jay cutler, who was with gustavo badell, and they both told me that i needed to work each muscle with 25-35 sets and so every week.  i talked to dante the other day and he said twice a week and unless i did weighted stretches afterwards that i had just wasted my time.

:D

they all look better than you and i combined so i should listen to them right??
Not comparing apples with apples Candi.
What my post meant was these guys do no overhead pulling movements in there workouts,its based on rows,deads plus assistence work.
Now going on your theory they would not have width , but they do they have a wing span like a jet aeroplane.these guys are thick and W-I-D-E.
The V they sport when walking away from you is on Par with alot of the top Aussie BB Iv seen..

And Mike Mentzer is a quack and a hypocrite .

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »
mike mentzer later in his career = loony tunes. his ideas made sense at first, the idea of not doing 2-3 hour marathon lifting sessions, but by the time he got to talking about one set per body part per week he'd gone off the deep end.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »
Sun - Heavy bench/chest
Mon - Off
Tue - Squats/quads/hams/calves
Wed - Off
Thu - Speed bench/shoulders
Frid - Deadlifts/back/abs
Sat - Agility Drills/bag work

Off days i usually play golf or swim.

8)

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

Were they giving advice for people all juiced up or for juicers and naturals?

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 07:29:34 AM »
I like this split, going back to it next week.  powerbuilding phase.  a lot of big boy lifts, big focus on the hang clean and press, clean and press, weighted pull-up's, Weighted Dips, deep squats, snatches and deadlifts

Current
Monday.....lower body

Wednsday.....upper body

Friday....lower body

Next Monday reverse the order starting with the upper body. Each week either the upper body or lower body gets trained once a week. Good for recovery which allows progression of strength and growth. The key element. Good Luck

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 08:02:16 AM »
Congrat's to Greg2112...one of the few here who get's it.

Painlayer69...3 reps will do for you what 20 reps will not and vice versa. Can also apply that to sets. Each one of us has to pick his own poison, as it were, to see what really works for them. With that in mind, wonder how many trainee's apply periodization year round in their training. Or for that matter, even plan 3 month's in advance for what they are going to be doing for gaining muscle size and strength. Good Luck.
F

greg2112

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
Thanks JPM. 

Started the lower volume/more frequent approach last yr and that was what I needed to gain size/strength.  My body adapted to the once a week split and I eventually started spinning my wheels and not going anywhere.  cut the sessions in half, work on overload, rinse and repeat every few dayswas what I needed to gain again.

Congrat's to Greg2112...one of the few here who get's it.

Painlayer69...3 reps will do for you what 20 reps will not and vice versa. Can also apply that to sets. Each one of us has to pick his own poison, as it were, to see what really works for them. With that in mind, wonder how many trainee's apply periodization year round in their training. Or for that matter, even plan 3 month's in advance for what they are going to be doing for gaining muscle size and strength. Good Luck.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
Monday: Chest/Triceps/Abs
Tuesday: Back/Biceps/Calves
Wednesday: Shoulders/Traps/Forearms
Thursday: Quads/Hams/Calves
Friday: Chest/Abs/Forearms

Every 6 weeks I pick a new bodypart to work twice a week, right now it's chest.  This is the format I use, and it carries over to other bodyparts as well:

Monday:
Incline Barbell Press 4x6-8
Incline Dumbbell Press 4x6-8
Bodyweight Dips 4x15-25

Friday:
Incline Barbell Press 4x15-25
Incline Dumbbell Press 4x15-25
Bodyweight Dips 4x15-25

I could add some weight to the dips on Monday, but for some reason I never feel weighted dips in my chest, always in my triceps.  So I just do bodyweight both days.  But the idea is to cover both fast- and slow-twitch muscle fibers in two workouts with the same exercises.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
jpm.......... Thanx for that gr.....eat advice, what was it for??

about my split??

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 10:04:54 AM »
mon -push
tues -legs
thurs -pull
fri -start over

JasonH

• Getbig V