Poll

What should the next contest (for reps) be?

405 Deadlift
315 Deadlift
315 Squat
315 Bench
225 Overhead Press
185 Overhead Press

Author Topic: Lets put it to a vote (POLL)  (Read 7498 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Lets put it to a vote (POLL)
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »
you know there's no question with me!  :D

You will have to perform any lift from a crotch camera angle.....so as to keep up your internet reputation. >:(

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 09:09:56 PM »
You will have to perform any lift from a crotch camera angle.....so as to keep up your internet reputation. >:(

you're lucky, i just washed my favorite squattin' shorts. i had to film those old videos in my big, baggy ones.  >:(

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 07:37:20 AM »
OK I can understand how #4# may be hard to verify, but daisy dukes are a MUST, esp if you want girls to play too.  ;)
:)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »
OK I can understand how #4# may be hard to verify, but daisy dukes are a MUST, esp if you want girls to play too.  ;)

You know, IF I ever get around to deciding its worth it for me to buy a new video camera, IF I can convince my wife or one of the guys in the gym to video tape me lifting, and IF I wear daisy dukes, I can GUARANTEE YOU THAT I WILL NEVER SEE THE END OF THE SHIT THAT THE GUYS I WORK OUT WITH WILL GIVE ME.....  ;D

Seriously Rip, do you want to see me in Daisy Dukes?  Think about it.   :-X

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »
I would burst Daisy Dukes. I have a big squat ass  :'(

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »
well when you guys talk about the briefs..it's true someone could do that..and it's also sad that i'd think us.. GETBIG would cheat lol.. but we all know who's going to be in this freakshow anyway.

US! lol

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »
You know, IF I ever get around to deciding its worth it for me to buy a new video camera, IF I can convince my wife or one of the guys in the gym to video tape me lifting, and IF I wear daisy dukes, I can GUARANTEE YOU THAT I WILL NEVER SEE THE END OF THE SHIT THAT THE GUYS I WORK OUT WITH WILL GIVE ME.....  ;D

Seriously Rip, do you want to see me in Daisy Dukes?  Think about it.   :-X

Absolutely.   8)
:)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
the issue with teh squatting which i discussed with lift4size was parallel. camera agles can be very deceiving unless just right. you could also alter them to make it look they are below parallel.

i say hold 185 OHP

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »
As regards the squat, the mods could specify strict guidelines that the video must adhere to. The video is submitted and reviewed by the mods. The mods can then either approve or disprove illegitimate reps or videos?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »
the issue with teh squatting which i discussed with lift4size was parallel. camera agles can be very deceiving unless just right. you could also alter them to make it look they are below parallel.

i say hold 185 OHP

makes sense. i like the WSM idea of picking a weight and saying you've got 75 seconds to get it overhead as many times as you can.

we'd have to do weight classes though, just to make it fair. some of the dudes here are solid in the 270s, i'm a 220 and i think tony would, with a quick drop of water, be a 198.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 01:10:09 PM »
If we were to do weight classes then I think only the top 1 or 2 spots of each weight class would win prizes. Unless of course we had 20 people enter or only did 2 weight classes (as it is in many Strongman comps). Typically you will find 231lbs and under AND 232lbs and over. It seems to work out pretty well. Sometimes there is a middle weight class but when it comes to Nationals its light and heavy weight only.

Perhaps if we were to do the 315 Squat we could use a universal depth. Say, in the video, you had to put a bungee cord in the rack and show you taking the measurement from ground to cord and then every rep would have to hit that depth? Touch the cord and go. Maybe 12 inches? You would have to be taller than 6' 3" or shorter than 5' 10" for it to really affect your lifts one way or another. I realize everyones depth differs a bit but it seems to be one of the only (2) ways to be as sure as possible that there is no funny business.

We would also need the judges to pay attention to if they see briefs or a suit in the vid as they would be prohibited. Magoos vid will be easy to judge as he cares not for long, baggy clothes. ;)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »
If we were to do weight classes then I think only the top 1 or 2 spots of each weight class would win prizes. Unless of course we had 20 people enter or only did 2 weight classes (as it is in many Strongman comps). Typically you will find 231lbs and under AND 232lbs and over. It seems to work out pretty well. Sometimes there is a middle weight class but when it comes to Nationals its light and heavy weight only.

we have weight classes to determine the weight needed to use for the feat. i want, say, rip to have a chance but if we're doing 315 squats she won't exactly be getting a dozen reps, you know? then we look around for the best weight coefficient formula and judge the top 3 based on that. absolute lifts always favor bigger lifters.

Perhaps if we were to do the 315 Squat we could use a universal depth. Say, in the video, you had to put a bungee cord in the rack and show you taking the measurement from ground to cord and then every rep would have to hit that depth? Touch the cord and go. Maybe 12 inches? You would have to be taller than 6' 3" or shorter than 5' 10" for it to really affect your lifts one way or another. I realize everyones depth differs a bit but it seems to be one of the only (2) ways to be as sure as possible that there is no funny business.

squat style would be HUGE on this though. a wider squatter simply won't get that low unless their groin is abnormally flexible. parallel would be the fairest, but we'd have to do a VERY strict thing for taping. not to mention if you have a large ass/hamstrings, the cord depth would allow you to get higher than someone with smaller legs. that's why they don't do the cord idea in PL meets (as I was rather angrily told by a meet organizer on a PL board...  :P ).

We would also need the judges to pay attention to if they see briefs or a suit in the vid as they would be prohibited. Magoos vid will be easy to judge as he cares not for long, baggy clothes. ;)

see? you made fun, but now you see why!  :D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »
we have weight classes to determine the weight needed to use for the feat. i want, say, rip to have a chance but if we're doing 315 squats she won't exactly be getting a dozen reps, you know? then we look around for the best weight coefficient formula and judge the top 3 based on that. absolute lifts always favor bigger lifters.

squat style would be HUGE on this though. a wider squatter simply won't get that low unless their groin is abnormally flexible. parallel would be the fairest, but we'd have to do a VERY strict thing for taping. not to mention if you have a large ass/hamstrings, the cord depth would allow you to get higher than someone with smaller legs. that's why they don't do the cord idea in PL meets (as I was rather angrily told by a meet organizer on a PL board...  :P ).

see? you made fun, but now you see why!  :D

Nice try on the cover up! I know you are a man-whore and the revealing clothing is just as good as a billboard in your gym. How's tricks anyway?

I know why you want multiple weight classes and we can do that. Just think of how many people we have ACTUALLY entering these things though. Not a lot of room for many weight classes.

The only other way I can think to make the squat more fair is to go ass to grass every rep. Anything paralell or above does not count. Simply because, as goudy said, the slightest camera angle change can make a bad squat look good.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »
I'll enter a 315 squat but I'll need about 6 weeks to get back into the rack and be ready

been out for 5 months

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 12:16:14 AM »
i think weight classes are a good idea but i dont know if we could get enough ppl to make that succesful. I like the cord idea but can see how that might help some and hurt others...lol shoot 12 inches is probably close to parallel for me as im only like 5'7"...maybe an overall prize and a lb for lb prize or a body weight contest where you weigh yourself and do the exercise with that weight sepreately or in addition to the original contest...iono just spitballing

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »
why not have two at once.

315 squat and 185 OHP

Alternatively it is possible to cheat tho thats the risk we take.

Appoint 3 judges and their decision is final. That could solve a lot though they must be done is shorts to minimise discrepencies.

OHP WITH leg drive would cause the least problems. I would do that one myself

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 01:51:17 PM »
i'd do it. my "push press" is kinda shit, but if we go "by any means necessary" i'm pretty sure i could do okay.