Author Topic: Overload's Training  (Read 40598 times)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Overload's Training
« on: June 10, 2008, 07:44:16 AM »
Figured i would post my personal training routine and weights to help others. i get a ton of PM's every day about training, so i'll throw in my own personal training.

My workouts are a mixture of Max-OT, Westside BB and a few things i've learned along the way.

History - Competed in NPC many years ago...Competed in power lifting events APA, USAPL, WPA, WABDL, IPF...Former USAPL, APA and WABDL Judge.

Stats - 30 years old, 5'11", 223 pounds drug free...used AAS in the past, but clean for almost a year now.

Recovering from an ACL reconstruction last year...almost 100%.

Previous best lifts in RAW Competition...

Bench - 480 @ 220 Pounds
Squat - 605 @ 242 Pounds
Dead  - 655 @ 220 Pounds

All lifts done in 2006 under strict judging...prior to ACL tear.

Goals - Just want to stay healthy and maintain as much as i can while staying drug free.

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Overload's Training
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:55 AM »
Sunday - Heavy Bench(Chest)

Flat BB - Triple 445, Double 455, Triple 450
Incline DB - 125's for 3 sets of 15...125 is the heaviest at this gym.
Pec-Dec Flyes - 3 sets of 200 stack for 10-12 reps.

Calories - 3800 Approx. - Moderate Carb day. i cycle carbs.

Cardio - None  ;D

Weight - 224 roughly 10% BF

8)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:00:14 AM »
good stuff. do you do one body part per day?

and tell us how you set up your training when you were making your biggest gains.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »
good stuff. do you do one body part per day?

and tell us how you set up your training when you were making your biggest gains.

Yup...i also do NOT train arms directly. i do strictly compound movements.

The biggest gains came from learning how to warm up without taxing the muscle and weakening them. i learned this through Westside Barbell protocols and knowing how to do "assimilation" sets of 2-3 reps vesus the traditional bodybuilding style high rep warmups. i also focused all my energy into the 3 big lifts and the assistance exercises.

when i started doing Westside BB training, i decreased the volume and did low reps on everything. i focused on maximum overload, HEAVY board presses and speed work, bands/chains. once i learned perfect form and how to "properly" periodize all my workouts, i gained a load of strength within a few months.

my best gains were an accumilation of eating more, training less, warming up less, periodization, and focusing on explosive speed movements.

That's the basics...

8)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:17:12 AM »

The biggest gains came from learning how to warm up without taxing the muscle and weakening them. i learned this through Westside Barbell protocols and knowing how to do "assimilation" sets of 2-3 reps vesus the traditional bodybuilding style high rep warmups. i also focused all my energy into the 3 big lifts and the assistance exercises.

when i started doing Westside BB training, i decreased the volume and did low reps on everything. i focused on maximum overload, board presses and speed work, bands/chains. once i learned perfect form and how to "properly" periodize all my workouts, i gained a load of strength within a few months.

my best gains were an accumilation of eating more, training less, warming up less, periodization, and focusing on explosive speed movements.

That's the basics...

8)

i def agree about the warm up thing. bodybuilders warm up pyramids suck. alot better to do low rep warm ups and then do something like 3 sets with the top weight instead of 15 12 10 8 6 4...or some such (which in general sucks).

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »
i def agree about the warm up thing. bodybuilders warm up pyramids suck. alot better to do low rep warm ups and then do something like 3 sets with the top weight instead of 15 12 10 8 6 4...or some such (which in general sucks).

I swear i gained 20 pounds on all lifts after i learned how to properly warmup...i used to do that pyramid style warmup and it killed my strength.

i do plenty of warmup sets these days, but they are light and only a few reps. sometimes my training partners wonder why i go so light on my warmups, but it works great for me.

Here is a normal bench layout...

135 - 2 sets of 10 reps - gets the blood flowing
225 - 1 set of 5 reps
275 - 1 set of 3 reps
315 - 1 set of 3 reps
365 - 1 rep
405 - 1 rep

triple, double, triple...works off percentages vs. my current max.

or

single, single, single...adding weight each single. Max day only.

8)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
you have the right idea. warm up sets should be warm up sets not "work up sets". they def shouldnt make you tired.

for a 180kg working set id to the following (squats)

60kg 8
100  5
140   3
170  1
----then 3 working sets with 180

if bench pressing id probably do a set with 120 also ( 3 reps)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
you have the right idea. warm up sets should be warm up sets not "work up sets". they def shouldnt make you tired.

for a 180kg working set id to the following (squats)

60kg 8
100  5
140   3
170  1
----then 3 working sets with 180

if bench pressing id probably do a set with 120 also ( 3 reps)

Good stuff!

Glad to see others follow my similar beliefs...

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:18:22 AM »
Tues - Squats(quads, hams, calves)

My modest squat routine...

Squats - no belt - Ass to grass
warmups
315x12 reps
365x6 reps -PR since knee surgery
315x15

Lunges
135x20x3 sets

Single leg extensions(ACL rehab)
50x25x3 sets - concentrate on full flex and squeeze

Single leg ham curls(ACL rehab)
60x25x3 sets - Hamstring graff area for ACL still makes me go light

Standing calf raises - i do these very slow and controlled with a hard squeeze at the top
150x25
200x25
250x25
300x25

Calories - 3500 Approx. - Moderate carb day

Cardio - Swimming for 45 minutes

Weight - 224 10% BF

My knee feels very good as of late, and i've been slowly adding weight to the bar for squats. honestly, i'm surprised my strength has gone up this high since surgery. 8 months ago i was squating the BAR for 15 reps...lol

Overall a very good workout and my legs are sore as hell today.

8)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:51:21 AM »
overload: whats your opinion on training frequency (for a muscle group). twice a week vs every 5th day vs once a week? i have my own opinion, but always nice to hear what other people think.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
overload: whats your opinion on training frequency (for a muscle group). twice a week vs every 5th day vs once a week? i have my own opinion, but always nice to hear what other people think.

I think twice a week can be very good depending on volume and actual load. i bench twice a week, one day heavy, one day light. However, my lower back has never allowed me to deadlift or squat twice a week, my lower back just takes a while to recover 100%. i also cannot squat and deadlift in the same workout, strength goes out the window. this is where "assistance" exercises come into play, like Magoos training. i could sub an assistance movement for deadlifts or squats.

i prefer to hit each group every 5-7 days at this stage in my training.

Since strength is my primary goal, i try to recover 100% between each session. so, i train each group directly once a week, but i do change it up depending on how i feel or how busy i am at work.

Many groups get hit more often than we think. each time i bench, i use triceps, each time i do shoulders, i use triceps. when i train back, the biceps are used...etc. so i focus on the compound lifts. this is why i train shoulders and chest 4 days apart. shoulders get used during benching and inclines, triceps are hit during any pressing movement, specially when i do heavy board presses and chains. i do alot of chins and rows, so i never train biceps, but once in a while i'll do some DB or BB curls for a few weeks.

To answer your question directly, i think hitting each group every 5 days would be the best idea, but i'm a firm believer in finding what works and sticking with it. when i was training balls out every day when i was powerlifting, i would train each "lift" twice a week, but it was very low volume, similar to how olympic lifters train.

What "split" you use also determines frequency IMO. this is why an upper day and lower day can be a great idea. similar to your modified DC protocol in your log, which i think is a great layout.

The amount of load and volume determines how often i hit a group. sorry if i rambled, i'm short on time today.

8)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »
Damn good lifts, man.  Nice to see more power-orientated guys on here.  Offsets the "candidildo" factor.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »
dammit, you guys suck.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
Panda - Thanks for the good words.

Magoo - I've been doing this a long time, your time will come my friend.

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »
been looking forward to this for quite some time! HOW DID I MISS THIS!

still some badass numbers..and 480 at 220's! DAMN! I'm steadily trying to get down to the 220's.  I'm finally under 250.  Hoping to hit 440 and 660 at 220 in a meet come feb!  How did you do it and stay so far down in weight man that's SICK!

you competing any this year?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 08:46:11 PM »

when i started doing Westside BB training, i decreased the volume and did low reps on everything. i focused on maximum overload, HEAVY board presses and speed work, bands/chains. once i learned perfect form and how to "properly" periodize all my workouts, i gained a load of strength within a few months.

That's the basics...

8)

YOU PEOPLE BETTER LISTEN UP! THIS IS WHERE IT'S AT!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »

still some badass numbers..and 480 at 220's! DAMN! I'm steadily trying to get down to the 220's.  I'm finally under 250.  Hoping to hit 440 and 660 at 220 in a meet come feb!  How did you do it and stay so far down in weight man that's SICK!

Probably taking this year off to let my knee get back to 100%.

The deadlift is my true passion, i prefer to do push/pull meets and once my deadlift gets back where it needs to be i plan on hitting some meets in 2009 in that 100% RAW fed.

Back then, i walked around at about 230-240 most of the time and i could drop the weight slowly without losing too much strength. i would usually drop about 6-8 pounds of water the day of the weigh-in, as long as the weigh-in was the day before the meet i could do this without losing any strength. the biggest factor is never letting yourself get TOO fat...lol...i've always controled my diet very well during the off-season, i tend to eat fairly clean year round, but i've been known to destroy a few buffets!

when i benched 480, i weighed in at 217 and the next morning i was 226... ;D

i'm more of a 242 who diets well to make 220, and i've missed the 220 mark a few times and had to compete in the 242's.

for some reason i could never squat much at 220 pounds, i always had to weigh around 240-250 in order to hit 600 pounds. the heaviest i've weighed is 257.

Thanks for the good words, let me know if you ever head down here.

8)

Miss Demeanor

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
Awesome strength!  I'm going to show this log to someone; he already reads Magoo's, Natural Al's and Wicked's, but he'll love this one too.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »

dude, really? i'd say you should stick in the 242s, based on your pictures and your height. i mean, at 260 you're pretty solid, you'd have to lose a LOT to drop into the 220s. that's where i am and i'm not remotely as thick as you.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 11:28:31 AM »
Awesome... glad to see another good training log on here.   Keep up the good work!   8)

:)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »
dude, really? i'd say you should stick in the 242s, based on your pictures and your height. i mean, at 260 you're pretty solid, you'd have to lose a LOT to drop into the 220s. that's where i am and i'm not remotely as thick as you.

Wicked, I haven't seen a recent pic of you.  You got any posted?  You looked pretty damn thick from the last ones I saw.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »
Thanks Miss D and Rip!

Weds - Cardio!

30 Minutes of Cardio circuit which includes.
-Jump Rope
-Side Steps and Side Jumps(ACL Rehab)
-Box jumps
-Bicycles
*Repeat*

30 Minutes of sparing, boxing mits.

1 Hour total.

Calories - 3200 Approx. - Low Carb day.

Weight - 223

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »
Thanks Miss D and Rip!

Weds - Cardio!

30 Minutes of Cardio circuit which includes.
-Jump Rope
-Side Steps and Side Jumps(ACL Rehab)
-Box jumps
-Bicycles
*Repeat*

30 Minutes of sparing, boxing mits.

1 Hour total.

Calories - 3200 Approx. - Low Carb day.

Weight - 223

8)

A VERY good idea for doing cardio.  I am already sick of cardio and bored to death of all the machines. 

I am determined to get outside more as soon as I can, so I want to try some stuff like this.  That almost makes cardio sound like fun.  I love jump roping, and plyos kick ass.

:)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:13 PM »

A VERY good idea for doing cardio.  I am already sick of cardio and bored to death of all the machines. 

I am determined to get outside more as soon as I can, so I want to try some stuff like this.  That almost makes cardio sound like fun.  I love jump roping, and plyos kick ass.

I agree!

This is the only way i can do cardio anymore.

Some days i do it outside, but i live in houston and cardio outside is similar to cardio in a sauna!

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Thurs - Speed Bench(Shoulders)

Close Grip Bench w/ 80 pound chains
warmups
315(395 Top)x5 reps
325(405 Top)x5 reps
335(415 Top)x5 reps

Clean and press
225x5 reps
275x3x5 reps

Upright rows
95x15 reps
115x15 reps
135x2x15 reps

BB Shrugs
405x3x12-15 reps - No straps ;D

Calories - 3800 Approx. - Mod Carb day.

Cardio - 35 minutes on the Elliptical

Weight - 225

Very good session, i haven't done chains in a few weeks and they felt good. all reps were very fast and explosive.

8)