Author Topic: Overload's Training  (Read 40724 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: Overload's Training
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 07:32:29 AM »
dude, really? i'd say you should stick in the 242s, based on your pictures and your height. i mean, at 260 you're pretty solid, you'd have to lose a LOT to drop into the 220s. that's where i am and i'm not remotely as thick as you.

yeah but i'm pretty soft around the middle. My upper body and back and legs are fine..but i gaurentee you I could make 230's no problem if i did it slow and and dump the glycogen out before the meet then carb up before lifting if i had a problem making those last few lbs. Yeah being 6' tall 242 is kinda scrawny even..

Right now i've been taking in carbs up to post workout on my working days and my off days staying under 200 carbs..and i'm down under 250. Depending on when i took my last shit! This new PT job has me on my feet and woking alot of stuff with my clients too so it's like cardio all day everyday...  >:(

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 07:33:55 AM »
Wicked, I haven't seen a recent pic of you.  You got any posted?  You looked pretty damn thick from the last ones I saw.

yeah i'm going to snap another one. In the last pic I was just BIG...so I'm trying to get LEAN to make classes and make records. I don't care how I look..i want my name in the record books baby.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
yeah but i'm pretty soft around the middle. My upper body and back and legs are fine..but i gaurentee you I could make 230's no problem if i did it slow and and dump the glycogen out before the meet then carb up before lifting if i had a problem making those last few lbs. Yeah being 6' tall 242 is kinda scrawny even..

Right now i've been taking in carbs up to post workout on my working days and my off days staying under 200 carbs..and i'm down under 250. Depending on when i took my last shit! This new PT job has me on my feet and woking alot of stuff with my clients too so it's like cardio all day everyday...  >:(

don't go bodybuilder on us mang. i believe that, if you REALLY needed to, you could drop into the 230s, but i really don't think it's where you should be.

right now my advice to you might be to drop to 230 and then just slowly grow into the 242s. i'm aiming 220s because i'm weak as hell for a 242, your lifts are solid as shit, no need to worry about THAT.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 08:27:41 AM »
don't go bodybuilder on us mang. i believe that, if you REALLY needed to, you could drop into the 230s, but i really don't think it's where you should be.

right now my advice to you might be to drop to 230 and then just slowly grow into the 242s. i'm aiming 220s because i'm weak as hell for a 242, your lifts are solid as shit, no need to worry about THAT.

Excellent advice.

dieting down too much kills my strength. right now i'm trying to stay within 5-8 pounds of my competition weight so i don't have to diet much for my next meet.

Wicked could murder the 100% RAW 242 class here in Texas!

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »
Excellent advice.

dieting down too much kills my strength. right now i'm trying to stay within 5-8 pounds of my competition weight so i don't have to diet much for my next meet.

Wicked could murder the 100% RAW 242 class here in Texas!

8)

You're just saying that because you don't want me in YOUR class giving YOU all kinds of hell! HAHA jk.

Just looking at old pics of me at 220 makes me sick... I busted my ass to get this big even if I am fat but even on this carb watch kinda diet, i'm still making pr's.  I mean look at this past ME upper body day. I know my squat is going to suffer but I'm focusing all my lowerbody ME and DE days strictly for the deadlift to bring it up there.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
You're just saying that because you don't want me in YOUR class giving YOU all kinds of hell! HAHA jk.

Just looking at old pics of me at 220 makes me sick... I busted my ass to get this big even if I am fat but even on this carb watch kinda diet, i'm still making pr's.  I mean look at this past ME upper body day. I know my squat is going to suffer but I'm focusing all my lowerbody ME and DE days strictly for the deadlift to bring it up there.

Touche!!! ;D

The best advice i can give you is focus on making gains right now and worry about weight classes later. you are gaining quickly and i think you should take advantage of it, but do whatever you feel is more important. i just don't want to see your gains come to a halt because you are trying to diet down too much...just my .02

8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »
Im in! Didnt think the day would come that Overload would reveal the secrets of strength. :D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 11:30:50 AM »
Im in! Didnt think the day would come that Overload would reveal the secrets of strength. :D

Shhhh...don't tell anyone!  ;D

Friday - Deadlifts (Back) & Abs

Deads from the floor - (speed day)
warmups
405x5
455x5x3 sets
No belt.

Wide grip Chins
BWx15
Add 60x15
Add 80x15
Add 100x12

One arm DB row
125x30x3 sets - no straps
Need heavier DBs!

Machine Pullovers
180x15
270x15
320x15

Machine Crunches
Too gay to even bother posting.

Calories - 4000 Approx. - High carb day!

Cardio - ZERO!

Weight - 225

Very good workout, strength is WAY up there on the deadlifts but i'm still taking it easy on my knee. there is no doubt in my mind that i could pull 495 for a few reps, but i'll take my time and give my knee a break.

One arm DB rows might get phased out, i still get a good workout doing them for 25-30 reps but i need at least some 150's! i like these so much i always do them in my routine.

Here we are 3 days later and my lats are still very sore!...i love pullovers!

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
Sat - Cardio!

5 - 3 minute rounds of sparring

5 - 3 minute rounds of heavy bag work

5 - 3 minute rounds of high kicks only...my "widow maker"

10 mins. Stretching.

Calories - 3400 Approx. - Low carb day

Weight - 225

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
Sunday - Max Bench(Chest)

PRACTICE MEET SETUP. ALL COMMANDS FOLLOWED.

Flat BB - LONG pause before press command.
Single 450
Single 455
Single 460...Easy

Incline DB - Deep stretch with pause each rep.
125x12x3 sets

Pec-Dec Flyes - 3 sets of 200 stack for 15 reps...rest pause 3 reps each set.

Calories - 3800 Approx. - Moderate Carb day.

Cardio - 3 mile jog at 3% incline

Weight - 226

460 went up like nothing, i'm hoping to hit my previous best of 480 by this winter and this time i'll be drug free. i'll keep cycling my training for now, i try not to max out very often, maybe once every 6 weeks...right now i think my max is 465-470 range.

i do some rest pause on flyes and lots of pause and press for incline. i focus on a very powerful contraction on each rep during the incline press.

Overall a very good session.

8)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
that's pretty sick dude.

is there a big difference between paused and TnG for you? i notice little difference on mine except energy for higher-rep sets.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 11:57:39 AM »
I might have missed it, but OL, when are you planning on competing again?    ???

:)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 12:01:21 PM »
that's pretty sick dude.

is there a big difference between paused and TnG for you? i notice little difference on mine except energy for higher-rep sets.

Not much, but when i TnG it's always very slow and controlled so there is never a bouncing issue. I usually feel more powerful when i do a full pause, i don't know why but i can get more drive out of the hole when i do a long pause. i think it's because i can get my elbows right where i need them before i start pressing.

8)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »
Not much, but when i TnG it's always very slow and controlled so there is never a bouncing issue. I usually feel more powerful when i do a full pause, i don't know why but i can get more drive out of the hole when i do a long pause. i think it's because i can get my elbows right where i need them before i start pressing.

8)

yeah, i have the same thing. i lose the stretch-reflex deal with pausing, but i know my form is better.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
I might have missed it, but OL, when are you planning on competing again?    ???

Early 2009 in the 100% RAW Fed.

I might throw the shirt on and hit a few WABDL push/pull meets...it's been a while since i used the shirt though.

8)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
Early 2009 in the 100% RAW Fed.

I might throw the shirt on and hit a few WABDL push/pull meets...it's been a while since i used the shirt though.

8)

where you live, dude? if you're in the Northeast, there's the ADAU that i'm looking at competing in. not in the next month or so, but soon.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »
where you live, dude? if you're in the Northeast, there's the ADAU that i'm looking at competing in. not in the next month or so, but soon.

Well depending on how you define the "Northeast," you better keep me in the loop so I can come check it out and cheer you on!   8)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »

Well depending on how you define the "Northeast," you better keep me in the loop so I can come check it out and cheer you on!   8)

it's in PA, but not a huge fed. here's the schedule: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/bigal/ADAUSCHEDULE.html

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »

Houston.

8)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »
it's in PA, but not a huge fed. here's the schedule: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/bigal/ADAUSCHEDULE.html

PA isn't really the Northeast!   :P

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 06:10:22 PM »

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
Mon - Cardio

18 holes of Golf! ;D

Calories - 3400 Approx. Low carb day

Weight - 225

I need to work on my chip shots, i had a few shots go right over the green and into the bunker... :-\

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 09:22:43 AM »
Tues - Squats(quads, hams, calves)

My 5x5 routine...

Squats - no belt - Ass to grass
warmups
365x5
365x5
365x5
365x5
365x4...almost!

Lunges
115x25x3 sets - lighter than usual, 5x5 wore me out!

Single leg extensions(ACL rehab)
60x25x3 sets - concentrate on full flex and squeeze

Single leg ham curls(ACL rehab)
70x25x3 sets

Standing calf raises
150x25
200x25
250x25
300x25...rest pause 3 reps

Calories - 3500 Approx. - Moderate carb day

Cardio - Swimming for 45 minutes

Weight - 226

I decided to give the old 5x5 a try on squats since my knee is feeling very good lately. 5 reps is really the heaviest i want to go right now, no reason to push the knee TOO far. overall a very good workout, good amount of energy and strength was high today. the first two sets with 365 were very easy, the last two sets were a biotch.

i really like rest/pause for calves, i have always had big calves but i notice that rest/pause really makes them sore the next day or two.

My goal is to hit 405 for 5 reps by the end of the year...i'm right on track.

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 06:57:23 AM »
Weds - Nothing!

Worked late...

Calories - 3000 Approx. - Low carb day - missed 1 meal.

i can't workout past 8pm, it prevents me from sleeping.

Legs are VERY sore today, my knee feels perfect.

Woke up at 3am last night with a cramped up calf, my girl called me crazy for punching my calf to help it relax...hey, it works!...lol

8)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 08:58:30 AM »
Weds - Nothing!

Worked late...

Calories - 3000 Approx. - Low carb day - missed 1 meal.

i can't workout past 8pm, it prevents me from sleeping.

Legs are VERY sore today, my knee feels perfect.

Woke up at 3am last night with a cramped up calf, my girl called me crazy for punching my calf to help it relax...hey, it works!...lol

8)

nothing is good and violence solves a lot of problems! creates many too  :D

good to hear that the knee feels better and better. how did you injure it?