Author Topic: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his  (Read 29310 times)

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
Re: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »
The guy who is getting demolished by Tyson in this video beat Ali, although it was well past Ali's prime, but still...first round KO

Fail.  That was Michael Spinks.  His brother Leon beat Ali.

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 06:07:47 PM »
Keep in mind that until then Michael Spinks was undefeated, had never been knocked down as a pro and was an Olympic Gold medalist. He also beat a near-peak Larry Holmes, who is among the top ten all-time great heavyweights. Mike made Spinks look like a rank amateur in that fight.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 06:09:08 PM »
Fail.  That was Michael Spinks.  His brother Leon beat Ali.

LOL, I realized shortly after posting that earlier today, and was curious if anyone else would notice :)

Either way, it does show the greatness of Tyson in his prime.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 06:41:34 PM »
haha this is exactly why tyson fights made so much money on ppv

so many fools bought into his hype and mystique ;)

E
E

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »
Classic Mike Tyson - "I broke my back....spinal!"  :D

He actually is quite classy in this interview.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2008, 03:45:22 AM »
i don't see how i contradicted myself - i think tyson would ko any man he hit with his best shot in his prime ( probably could kill a few with them too). a ufc guy wouldn't allow himself to be hit by tyson, he'd take him down and choke him.

would you go toe to toe with tyson even now? hahahahahaha

thought not.

One thing i will say about MoralMan is he could take a hell of a shot, never saw the dumb fuck flinch, but then again theres no brain in that head so it figures....

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2008, 03:56:17 AM »
Are you kidding me? Tyson in his prime would mop the floor with Ali. He was a fucking killer in his hey day. Check out some of his earlier fights.

Nah, Foreman was just as awesome as Tyson ever was, take a look at some of the fights on youtube. There's no chance at all of "mopping the floor" lol ridiculous. Tyson also rarely proved he had the guts to stick it out when in a real fight. The closest comparison would be Buster Douglas, who fought very similarly to Ali and won the fight with Tyson.

MRMD2003

• Getbig II
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2008, 04:07:21 AM »
pump, what about Tyson against Razor Ruddock. People forget about that fight !!!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2008, 07:22:47 AM »
Onlyme, you ve met a lot of people over the years, strongmen, fighters, etc. WHo would you says the toughest man you ve ever met?

I've met several I guess tough guys including Mike Tyson, Ali, Jake Lamotta, Chuck Norris, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Bob Wall, Joe Lewis (karate guy), Benny Urquidez, Sugar Ray Leonard, Deacon Jones, Rickson Gracie, and probably many others I can't remember right now.  But I gotta tell you I always thought if I was ever to want someone to be with me in a fight against others I would want Gus Rethwisch.  He is one strong and very crazy dude.  He once got in a fight and called from jail cause he put four guys in the hospital.  when you look like Gus you don't give a shit about getting hit or hurt.  And as strong and big as he was he did some major damage.

kwri298

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »
I've met several I guess tough guys including Mike Tyson, Ali, Jake Lamotta, Chuck Norris, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Bob Wall, Joe Lewis (karate guy), Benny Urquidez, Sugar Ray Leonard, Deacon Jones, Rickson Gracie, and probably many others I can't remember right now.  But I gotta tell you I always thought if I was ever to want someone to be with me in a fight against others I would want Gus Rethwisch.  He is one strong and very crazy dude.  He once got in a fight and called from jail cause he put four guys in the hospital.  when you look like Gus you don't give a shit about getting hit or hurt.  And as strong and big as he was he did some major damage.

Everybody thinks Tyson was such a different fighter once he got outside of jail, but the fact is he is a bully and he crumbled once he met someone who was not scared or intimidated by him (i.e. Holyfield, Lewis).  Against holyfield he came out strong and fast looking like the old Tyson but Holyfield's superior boxing skills allowed him not to be hit by big clean shots, Tyson like the typical bully crumbled.  Ali would have killed Tyson, Tyson would not have been able to land big shots against Ali.  Tyson in is prime was just like Kimbo Slice; all hype.  Primetime Mike Tyson; the baddest man on the planet is just a fairytail invented by weak opponents and the media.  Everybody thought Tyson would kill Holyfield in the 1st fight, I knew Holyfield would win, because Holyfield has something Tyson does not...heart

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »
A lot seem to think Tyson was mopping the flor with everyone early in his career. Let's not forget his bouts against Tony Tucker, who broke his hand early in the fight and managed to go the distance, or against Tillis.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2008, 08:31:11 AM »
... Gus Rethwisch. He is one strong and very crazy dude. He once got in a fight and called from jail cause he put four guys in hospital. When you look like Gus you don't give a shit about getting hit or hurt. And as strong and big as he was he did some major damage.
Wasn't this the dude who played Buzzsaw in The Running Man?

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »
Tyson AT HIS PEAK was also a good boxer and not just a head hunter. He was able to bob and weave very well and was hard as hell to hit. Ali's reach advantage would have been nullified by Mike's speed.  Mike would have KO'd Ali by round 5 or 6.
Later, Tyson relied too much on getting that one big hit. He forgot all the things that Cus taught him. He became a one trick pony and if he couldn't knock his opponent out early, he was lost and had nothing to fall back on. Damn that Robin Givens  ;D

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
Talk about a boring fight. Ali would run his ass off for 15 rounds and win on "points" and his popularity.  ::)

kwri298

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
Tyson AT HIS PEAK was also a good boxer and not just a head hunter. He was able to bob and weave very well and was hard as hell to hit. Ali's reach advantage would have been nullified by Mike's speed.  Mike would have KO'd Ali by round 5 or 6.
Later, Tyson relied too much on getting that one big hit. He forgot all the things that Cus taught him. He became a one trick pony and if he couldn't knock his opponent out early, he was lost and had nothing to fall back on. Damn that Robin Givens  ;D
He didn't just forget to move his head after he got out of jail.  He was a one trick pony before you just couldn't see it.  BTW - Lennox Lewis has a better jab and RT hand than Tyson, the Lennox Lewis right hand that cracked Tyson was monstrous.

Maybe Kimbo Slice will be talked about like this in 10 years, "in his prime he was unstoppable, noone could have ever beated Kimbo in his prime." 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2008, 10:43:45 AM »
For all you people who are "favoring" Mike Tyson against Muhammed Ali remember this. Tyson was "favored" to beat Douglas, and got kayoed. He went to prison, did his sentance came back beat a bunch of cans in spectacular fashion, everyone was saying "mike is back!, blah blah blah"  basically saying the same b.s. all you youtube fans who probably have never seen an Ali/Clay fight all the way through like real boxing fans. Guess what happened? He got a mudhole stomped in his ass. Where were all these crazy bad ass combos in that fight? He tried, but Holyfield was a tough skilled fighter (something he has never beated). These Tyson vs. Ali questions are so ridiculous in my mind, Ali is a top 3  heavyweight all time, he had a top 3 chin all time and top 3 heart all time. If you want to make these Mike Tyson comparisons, compare him to Earnie Shavers, Sonny Liston (although Liston is the greater fighter, IMO), or Max Baer basically just guys that had crazy punching power, but boxing is SO much more that that.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »
a young TYSON would absolutely murder ALI... first round k.o. ; just like anybody else who would fuck with MT in his youth/prime

stick to bodybuilding because you know absouletly fk all about boxing

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »
Ali couldn't beat Tyson because Mike was a brawler/hard puncher. Lewis was a boxer. Mohammed would easily out box Lennox Lewis. Any heavyweight in the history of the sport couldn't out box Ali. Hence the name "The Greatest".

haha wtf are you talking about?

How the hell would Ali outbox Lewis when he is 2 inches shorter and 25-30lbs lighter?
Lewis was an incredible boxer and thats exactly why Ali wouldn't fair too well against him despite his superiour speed.
The way to beat Mike was either to box him (beat him from the outside) and at the same time break him down in the inside (see Holyfield fight) and Ali was the perfect speciment to do that.
Ali could take a punch and was a tough son of a bitch who fought to the end, hell in the Ken Norton fight he broke his jaw and still continued which is a testament to his resolve.
Mike on the other hand got frustrated when he couldn't knock out an opponent (tomato cans excluded).

One more thing.....Ali is the greatest not for the reason u stated above (which is ridiculous really).
He is the greatest because he beat everyone in 2 seperate decades which was the 60's and 70's, he defeated many hall of famers which are great in their own right.

Mike Tyson's resume dosent even compare to Ali's, Mike was all hype atleast to the general public who dont know boxing.
He was good for a few years but who did he beat?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »

How the hell would Ali outbox Lewis when he is 2 inches shorter and 25-30lbs lighter?
Lewis was an incredible boxer and thats exactly why Ali wouldn't fair too well against him despite his superiour speed.
The way to beat Mike was either to box him (beat him from the outside) and at the same time break him down in the inside (see Holyfield fight) and Ali was the perfect speciment to do that.
Ali could take a punch and was a tough son of a bitch who fought to the end, hell in the Ken Norton fight he broke his jaw and still continued which is a testament to his resolve.
Mike on the other hand got frustrated when he couldn't knock out an opponent (tomato cans excluded).

One more thing.....Ali is the greatest not for the reason u stated above (which is ridiculous really).
He is the greatest because he beat everyone in 2 seperate decades which was the 60's and 70's, he defeated many hall of famers which are great in their own right.

Mike Tyson's resume dosent even compare to Ali's, Mike was all hype atleast to the general public who dont know boxing.

* cue the youtube fans * "Ah, man but he said he was going to EAT Lennoxs' kids!!" or " Tyson could kill any man that ever lived in a bar fight with his furious combos" or "He used to beat the shit of of his wife!!" or "Did you see the way threatened to beat up that reporter!?"
Just remember Sonny Liston was a VERY intimidating fighter in the 60's, has a greater legacy in the minds boxing historians and was FAVORED to beat a young Ali, guess what? he got schooled by the superior fighter.....twice.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »

Exactly!  Who the hell did Tyson fight?  He never beat Holyfield right?  Lewis made an ass out of him.  Tyson is a fucking washed up has been who never was.  He's as overrated as a boxer as Arnold is a bodybuilder.  Ali had class and charisma.  Tyson was a fucking chump street thug who got beat by Buster Douglas.  LOL there's always an excuse with Tyson.  Oh he wasn't in shape, he had been serving time in jail etc.  What fluke of the 60's and 70's beat Ali?  If Ali got beat it was by legitimate fighters. 

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
liston took a dive,, everyone knows that, the punch that never was than his mysterious injury,, fuckn joke.... liston would have murderd clay at that time in his career.... he would have beat him, just as he did foreman later on

I think the boxing purists just like to rubish talk of tyson, the fact is he was totaly awsome for a short period, i would say he was probly the most unbeatable that theres ever been

the purists still like to harp on about joe lewis and try and include other throw back fighters, just to look clever

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »
liston took a dive,, everyone knows that, the punch that never was than his mysterious injury,, fuckn joke.... liston would have murderd clay at that time in his career.... he would have beat him, just as he did foreman later on

I think the boxing purists just like to rubish talk of tyson, the fact is he was totaly awsome for a short period, i would say he was probly the most unbeatable that theres ever been

the purists still like to harp on about joe lewis and try and include other throw back fighters, just to look clever
1. Ali and Liston fought twice, you clearly avoid the first fight showing alot of bias.
"Liston would have murdered clay at that time in his career.... he would have beat him just as he did foreman later"
2. What are you talking about Liston never fought foreman?, Foreman never beat Ali
3. How about the fact that Joe Louis, WAS a great fighter? Just like Ty Cobb WAS a great baseball player, or Wilt Chamberlin WAS a great basketball player.
4. "Tyson was awesome for a short period" What a few months? And then it suddenly vanished when he fought Douglass. And then it magically came back when he knocked out a bunch of cans out of prison, then once again magically disappeared when he fought Holyfield?
Get real man, seriously you can't believe what you just typed.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »
Wasn't this the dude who played Buzzsaw in The Running Man?

Yes

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »
Exactly!  Who the hell did Tyson fight?  He never beat Holyfield right?  Lewis made an ass out of him.  Tyson is a fucking washed up has been who never was.  He's as overrated as a boxer as Arnold is a bodybuilder.  Ali had class and charisma.  Tyson was a fucking chump street thug who got beat by Buster Douglas.  LOL there's always an excuse with Tyson.  Oh he wasn't in shape, he had been serving time in jail etc.  What fluke of the 60's and 70's beat Ali?  If Ali got beat it was by legitimate fighters. 

Ali also defeated the fighters who actually beat him (apart from the 2 losses in the end where he didnt belong in the ring) who were Ken Norton and Joe Frazier twice each.
I dont agree with Arnold though, the guy was so ahead of his time that he could retire for 5 years, train for 8 weeks then beat the current crop.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but Ali went to jail too.  Mike would be very frustrated with Ali just like he was with Holyfield.  Ali was very smart.  Mike would have been so pissed off by the time the fight started he would just go crazy and make mistakes.  Ali was very cool and very commanding in the ring.  Mike has proven many times he can't take a guy who can keep him away with a jab.  And Ali would throw 4 jabs in a heartbeat at Mike.  Mike would come in and Ali would either keep him away with a jab or clinch him.  Ali was a solid 6'3"  Even when I met him for the first time and we wrestled in the valet parking area I felt how solid he was.  He had very hard fists then too.  This is a debate that will go on forever and no one is going to convince the others either way.  And I am far from being a boxing expert (not even close) and even though I have met both guys and I think Mike is unreal I still think Ali would win because of his brains, ring savy, speed, agility and ability to go 15 rounds.  Mike destroys him on power but once Mike can't knock you out after a few good shots he gets frustrated and gives up.  Look at Holyfield, Douglas and who was the guy he literally quit fighting.  I really like Razor Roddick I thought he was really good but didn't go anywhere.