Author Topic: 2nd Class US citizenship....................It's about time.  (Read 5850 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: 2nd Class US citizenship....................It's about time.
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 06:52:20 PM »
That's crazy.  I agree people that live here need to learn the language.  The only concern I'd have is how we treat tourists/visitors who don't speak the language.  But I guess even those folks need to learn how to order a cheeseburger.   

typically tourist don't get mad if you don't know their language.    ;D

Yeah it is crazy, i went into a full on rant in the car when he told me this....lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »

Yeah it is crazy, i went into a full on rant in the car when he told me this....lol

True.  :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »
How does insisting an immigrant learns to speak passable English make it fascists?

do they not still get all the rights to speak WHAT they want?

Not under the language police. For a while speaking English in public in some parts of Quebec could get you a good ass whooping.

Take ALL the money they are spending right now on duplicate forms, signs, interpretors, schools etc...  And spend it on enforcement.  In a few short years after a 2 year grace period for people to learn it or get the fvck out, they can spend the money on just making sure future immigrants know it.

Funds spent on duplicate forms are a mere pittance and do not even begin to scratch the scratch on the scratch of the tip of that colossal iceberg called the military spending fiasco in Iraq. Divert a bit of those funds and you'd probably be able to hire private tutors for every single one of them, ...one who'd pour them a beer or a shot or two of tequila while giving them a backrub and a foot massage!  ;D  

did the son know how to speak it?   good enough.  The father needed to learn it or get the fvck out.  Give him a fair grace period.

The father spoke Italian fluently, as well as English fluently, ...his challenge was his French.
yes his son was fluent in French, as well as English & Italian. He was born in Quebec.
the problem was also compounded by the fact that in Quebec, there were English language schools and French language schools, and for a time you could pick which language you wanted your child to be educated in. most people chose English, ...including immigrants. in Quebec, ...it is now the law. unless you are a temporary resident of the province (ie: a diplomat) all kids regardless of their mother tongue MUST be educated in French!

Someone not "having the time" is complete bull shit anyway.  he can study 1-2 hours a day until he learns.

Did he have regulations and codes that he had to follow for him to conduct business in Montreal/Quebeec?

Was there a flock of liberal assholes complaining that he couldn't run his busioness the way he wanted to when it came to those codes of business?

I don't think so.

Ya the codes were introduced after a separatist revolution in Quebec demanded everything had to be in French.

It's not too much to ask for someone to speak the fvcking language.

No it's not, ...but it is too much to ask someone else to speak YOUR language while displaying an unwillingness to speak or learn HIS.

Because it's the language of the country.  An if i'd was living in his country i show it and the people the respect of learning  the language.  Not siting around and complaining that the person taking my order did know it.

Not for long it isn't.
Look up the the 'Security & Prosperity Partnership' (SPP) Y'all will be speaking Spanish in no time, possibly French too

Are you fvcking kidding me?   So should every one in retail know all 100+ languages in the whole world?

No, ...but you have an added advantage and become a more valueable entity when you are multi-lingual

The stupid Mexicans don't get it, becuase liberal pussy assholes don't make em.  the Russians, Chinese, Koreans...etc...  fortunately do get it.

Are these stupid Mexicans, ...or are they newly arrived Americans not yet fluent in English?
Are some perhaps Puerto Ricans? You know a strange thing happens when you colonize another territory,
...especially one that has been speaking a different language for centuries. You end up with a a territory of people who speak a different language, ...strange how that happens isn't it? You would think that with the same stroke of the same pen that turned the island into a US island, that automatically generations of Puerto Ricans would all of a sudden be fluent in English instantly... presto... like magic! It's always surprising when that isn't the case isn't it?  ;D

Maybe that's why these candidates don't give a shit about the hisspanic vote.  Because these stupid fvcks don't care enough to learn the language.

On the contrary. I think candidates care very greatly what they think, as well as how they vote.
look at mcCain, he's all for amnesty, so many can vote for him, and bring their families over to vote for him too.

I wonder if they are American.   And it wouldn't matter anyway, it IS our national language.  NOT Spanish.  And that family needs to learn it or get their leeching asses out of here.

Why do you call them leeches? Don't they spend money, buy goods & services, contribute & stimulate the economy? Without these people buying tickets in movie theatres, your son may not even have a job.
He would have to leech off YOU, ...instead... thanks to Spanish speaking Americans, ...he's gainfully employed.  :D

Or, you can stop the nonsense and PUT the accountability on those who seek our birth right.

Your birth right. Sounds to me like the words written on the base of the statue on Ellis island says nothing about origins of birth, ...merely condition of existence. Do you no longer want to welcome tired huddled masses?
If not, ...maybe YOU should be the one to leave America since you're no longer in accord with what she stands for?

When was this about graduating from college?   ::)  This is about learning the English language so we can all function as a populace better, communicate better and live in a more prosperous unity.  NOT segregated into communities of like language.   which is what's happening now.

It was simply an analogy, ...an example of people forcing something down someone elses throat for their own good because it would be beneficial to them in the long run. At least that's how I'm choosing to frame it, despite the fact that most of the bitching & complaining I've seen thus far appears to be motivated NOT in altruism of the sake of benefitting the spanish, but in soothing the gaping and seemingly fatal wounds experienced by the anglophones.

Y'all are beginning to sound like the French.
Ever seen a Frenchman in Paris respond to an American on vacation who doesn't speak French?   ;D

Segregation in America is nothing new. It doesn't have to be that way, ...and learning an additional language isn't going to lead to segregation. If anything, it'll open up & desegregate the US. Those who refuse to learn will fall behind

I understand your frustration, ...but please, ...let's not lose our heads over this.

ps: Kill or be Killed!  :P
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »

Was it anything like your meltdown on the boards the other day?
Did he say "Dad, chill out, you're gonna pop a vein or get a stroke or something!"  :o

;D
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 08:25:37 PM »
Jag... stop this crazy talk.

If a country is founded on a specific language, then you speak it.

The United States of America, as a sovereign nation was founded on English.

The Declaration of Independence, The constitution, and all of the US's original documents were written in English... That's all there is to it.

There is NOTHING wrong with learning another language... NOTHING, but the language of the United States of America, should be English... End of story.

If you take a job with a company in ANY other country, or you do business with ANY other country, you learn the language of that country... That's the rules.

If I moved to another country, I would learn the language of that country end of story... and I would be EXTREMELY pissed off at MYSELF if I couldn't speak the language, I would not be upset with an employee who doesn't speak mine.

The United States of America was founded in English.

If anyone disagrees... please state HOW you disagree... on what basis you feel it was not and how you feel that English is not the native language of the country.

I'm all ears.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 08:48:59 PM »

The Declaration of Independence, The constitution, and all of the US's original documents were written in English... That's all there is to it.

There is NOTHING wrong with learning another language... NOTHING, but the language of the United States of America, should be English... End of story.

If you take a job with a company in ANY other country, or you do business with ANY other country, you learn the language of that country... That's the rules.

If I moved to another country, I would learn the language of that country end of story... and I would be EXTREMELY pissed off at MYSELF if I couldn't speak the language, I would not be upset with an employee who doesn't speak mine.

If anyone disagrees... please state HOW you disagree... on what basis you feel it was not and how you feel that English is not the native language of the country.

I'm all ears.

Well said.  Completely agree. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »
Was it anything like your meltdown on the boards the other day?
Did he say "Dad, chill out, you're gonna pop a vein or get a stroke or something!"  :o

;D

no he agrees and he's a professed liberal.   (with common sense)   ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »

I'm all ears.

Tu, you and I are actually in agreement, I see nothing wrong with anything you've posted so far,
...however, let me ask you this... if you were to move to a foreign country, and refuse to learn how to speak the language, how far would you get? What would your options look like?

Are you saying people's demands that others speak the English language are out of an overwhelming concern for them, ...or do you suppose it has more to do with the discomfort they feel at hearing others speak in a language that they themselves do not understand or perhaps feel inadequate with? I personally think it has more to do with the latter than the former.

I remember when I was in highschool, we used to hang out with an older crowd of italian guys who would often speak amongst themselves in Italian when they didn't want us to know what they were saying. my girlfriends and I had a similar language call it pig latin that we'd speak in that they couldn't understand. you should have seen these guys blow a gasket every time we used it. They'd scream 'English. Speak in English' They'd get incensed that we would speak in pig latin right in front of them, but had no problems speaking Italian in front of us.

ps: Not everyone who moves to a foreign country or takes a job in a foreign country learns the language.
My brother-in-laws sister is a bank president in the Czech republic, but doesn't speak Czech.
All her subordinates speak English, ...but I hear what you're saying.

I just think it's funny to see people get all bent out of shape and angry because someone doesn't speak English.
And they get all red-in-the-face and start demanding legislation to force them to speak English.
What's the next step? Cutting out their tongues if they utter a word in Spanish?  ::)

ps: As an aside, how do we really know that the Spanish speaking family was pissed off at Ozmo's son's inability to speak spanish? How does his son know that? He clearly couldn't even understand them. Are we to go on the word of his co-worker? How do we know this kid doesn't harbour a grudge or slightly resent Ozmo jr? Does it at all make any logical sense that this family would be angry at a kid who doesn't speak spanish. Perhaps his bi-lingual co-worker may have a reason to resent him or feel some degree of hostility towards him... afterall, he has to take the orders of those in his lineup, ...and apparently the orders in OzmO's son's lineup as well, cause OzmO jr doesn't spaek spanish. This kid is doing twice the work probably for he same pay. If anything, this kid has a reason to be annoyed. Maybe he in his own way was telling Ozmo's kid to learn spanish?
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 08:57:19 PM »
no he agrees and he's a professed liberal.   (with common sense)   ;D

Of course he agreed. the kid would have to learn spanish otherwise.  ;D
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 09:01:20 PM »
Tu, you and I are actually in agreement, I see nothing wrong with anything you've posted so far,
...however, let me ask you this... if you were to move to a foreign country, and refuse to learn how to speak the language, how far would you get? What would your options look like?

Are you saying people's demands that others speak the English language are out of an overwhelming concern for them, ...or do you suppose it has more to do with the discomfort they feel at hearing others speak in a language that they themselves do not understand or perhaps feel inadequate with? I personally think it has more to do with the latter than the former.

I remember when I was in highschool, we used to hang out with an older crowd of italian guys who would often speak amongst themselves in Italian when they didn't want us to know what they were saying. my girlfriends and I had a similar language call it pig latin that we'd speak in that they couldn't understand. you should have seen these guys blow a gasket every time we used it. They'd scream 'English. Speak in English' They'd get incensed that we would speak in pig latin right in front of them, but had no problems speaking Italian in front of us.

ps: Not everyone who moves to a foreign country or takes a job in a foreign country learns the language.
My brother-in-laws sister is a bank president in the Czech republic, but doesn't speak Czech.
All her subordinates speak English, ...but I hear what you're saying.

I just think it's funny to see people get all bent out of shape and angry because someone doesn't speak English.
And they get all red-in-the-face and start demanding legislation to force them to speak English.
What's the next step? Cutting out their tongues if they utter a word in Spanish?  ::)

ps: As an aside, how do we really know that the Spanish speaking family was pissed off at Ozmo's son's inability to speak spanish? How does his son know that? He clearly couldn't even understand them. Are we to go on the word of his co-worker? How do we know this kid doesn't harbour a grudge or slightly resent Ozmo jr? Does it at all make any logical sense that this family would be angry at a kid who doesn't speak spanish. Perhaps his bi-lingual co-worker may have a reason to resent him or feel some degree of hostility towards him... afterall, he has to take the orders of those in his lineup, ...and apparently the orders in OzmO's son's lineup as well, cause OzmO jr doesn't spaek spanish. This kid is doing twice the work probably for he same pay. If anything, this kid has a reason to be annoyed. Maybe he in his own way was telling Ozmo's kid to learn spanish?

It doesn't matter. Enlighten me Jag. Why is it that when the millions of Europeans were immigrating here they had no problem learning English AND retaining their native languages? They used their language when around people who spoke it and used English when they weren't. Why should a country that's main language is English be forced to cater to people who speak Spanish and do not want to learn English? I understand that you flock to defend them and justify it as you minorities stick together, but it's pretty foolish to expect that.

Get with the program or get the fuck out. Why should the people who speak the primary language of a country go out of their way to cater to those who don't? Because you think they should know another language? Why can't the hispanics learn another language? Why does it have to the be English speaking people? You know, the people speaking the primary language of this country.  ::)

Your analogy about the bank president in Czech is bullshit to boot. The universal business language in this world is English.

Your self-righteous bullshit is hilarious. STFU.

Ozmo's son should've told them to speak English or get out of line.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »
Why should the people who speak the primary language of a country go out of their way to cater to those who don't? Because you think they should know another language?  ::)

Suppose you tell me. I'm not making an argument that people go out of their way to cater to those who don't.

Your analogy about the bank president in Czech is bullshit to boot. The universal business language in this world is English.

It's not bullshit. I know the woman and she does not speak Czech.

ps: I love the irony there. Let me know when you pick up on it if it hasn't flown over your head like most things.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »
No it's not, ...but it is too much to ask someone else to speak YOUR language while displaying an unwillingness to speak or learn HIS.

I'm not asking him to speak MY language.  I'm asking them to speak the COUNTRY'S language.

(cheesy comparison trying to make it about selfishness  ::))

The father spoke Italian fluently, as well as English fluently, ...his challenge was his French.

Oh i get it.  Too bad Canada has a identity crisis.

Ya the codes were introduced after a separatist revolution in Quebec demanded everything had to be in French.

I'm talking about signs, business licenses, advertising regulations and guidelines etc...  What about those?  why can't he just do what ever he wants?  It's his business?

Why aren't people raising hell about that?  I'll tell you why...becuase those regulations standardize things and make commerce run smoother and protect the consumer and business person.

Get it now?

Funds spent on duplicate forms are a mere pittance and do not even begin to scratch the scratch on the scratch of the tip of that colossal iceberg called the military spending fiasco in Iraq. Divert a bit of those funds and you'd probably be able to hire private tutors for every single one of them, ...one who'd pour them a beer or a shot or two of tequila while giving them a backrub and a foot massage!  Grin   

In a few short years it will be all gone, becuase we won't let anyone into the country who can't speak passable english.

Not for long it isn't.
Look up the the 'Security & Prosperity Partnership' (SPP) Y'all will be speaking Spanish in no time, possibly French too

Ahh no.  English replaced?   not in our lifetime.   

And what ever stupid shit you want me to look up won't change the language of the country from English to something else.

Are these stupid Mexicans, ...or are they newly arrived Americans not yet fluent in English?
Are some perhaps Puerto Ricans? You know a strange thing happens when you colonize another territory,
...especially one that has been speaking a different language for centuries. You end up with a a territory of people who speak a different language, ...strange how that happens isn't it? You would think that with the same stroke of the same pen that turned the island into a US island, that automatically generations of Puerto Ricans would all of a sudden be fluent in English instantly... presto... like magic! It's always surprising when that isn't the case isn't it?  Grin

none of what you said matters.

They shouldn't have been allowed to immigrate if they didn't speak the language.

come one come all!  I love ya.  just speak passable English and I'll love you long time!

Your birth right. Sounds to me like the words written on the base of the statue on Ellis island says nothing about origins of birth, ...merely condition of existence. Do you no longer want to welcome tired huddled masses?
If not, ...maybe YOU should be the one to leave America since you're no longer in accord with what she stands for?

When you are born in America you are a citizen period.  by birth right.  What's written on Ellis Island is for people who are immigrating.

seriously Jag, sometimes your arguments are really stupid.
Y'all are beginning to sound like the French.
Ever seen a Frenchman in Paris respond to an American on vacation who doesn't speak French?

We are not talking about VACATIONING ARE WE?  another stupid try at an argument.

If i MOVED to France i would learn the language.  Otherwise i get what i deserve.

Learn English or be killed!

;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »
Of course he agreed. the kid would have to learn spanish otherwise.  ;D

He took spanish by choice last the 2 years in school.  Got a B+ and a A-.

Feel free to try again Jag.   ;D

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
Suppose you tell me. I'm not making an argument that people go out of their way to cater to those who don't.

It's not bullshit. I know the woman and she does not speak Czech.

ps: I love the irony there. Let me know when you pick up on it if it hasn't flown over your head like most things.

What? That to be successful in the global market place one needs to know English? Has nothing to do with the fact that the hispanics make ZERO effort to learn English, twat. 

Good job avoiding the rest of my post. Of course you did, because you can't refute and have nothing to work with. Great job.  ::)

You're just reaching here like the stupid twat minority that you are. Always got to side with the "underprivileged," regardless of whether their actions are justified or not.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »
Your Liberal perspective is getting smacked around pretty bad here JAG.

We must all be English speaking fascist.   ;D

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
It cracks me up. I should be the one to learn another language to accommodate a group of people who came here and expect everyone to hand everything to them? I function fine in American society. I have no language barriers. Why should I be the one to go out of my way to speak a language that has no purpose here? So I can accommodate a group of people who don't want to learn the language that's been spoken in this country since its inception? If I want to learn another language, I'll do it on my own accord. Not because some arrogant twat doesn't want to speak English in the USA.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 09:17:09 PM »
As for business.

It's a business prerogatived in the interest of attracting Spanish speaking customers to has bilingual employees and cater to spanish only speaking people.  nothing wrong with that.   BECAUSE IT'S THEIR capitalistic CHOICE!

;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »

While there are some countries I could probably skate by in without learning the language, my own pride wouldn't let me... I don't want anyone catering to ME... That's just wrong.

If we are in agreement then I don't understand what you are saying exactly.

The guy should have learned English right? He was in The United States of America where the native language is in fact, English yes?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 09:24:39 PM »
Geno's Cheesesteak in South Philly

I have one of their shirts.

Squishy face retard

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 09:29:18 PM »
Oz,

Yo Adoro América

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2008, 09:34:44 PM »
I'm not asking him to speak MY language.  I'm asking them to speak the COUNTRY'S language.

(cheesy comparison trying to make it about selfishness  ::))

OK, you have a point.

Oh i get it.  Too bad Canada has a identity crisis.

I'm talking about signs, business licenses, advertising regulations and guidelines etc...  What about those?  why can't he just do what ever he wants?  It's his business?

Why aren't people raising hell about that?  I'll tell you why...becuase those regulations standardize things and make commerce run smoother and protect the consumer and business person.

Get it now?

Except in this particular case, it had nothing to do with licenses, signage, advertising etc. it had to do with him being behind the counter and not being fluent in French.

In a few short years it will be all gone, becuase we won't let anyone into the country who can't speak passable english.

You won't let anyone into the country who can't speak passable english? {lolollololoz} like you can control that?

oh please... STOP! my sides are aching.

Ahh no.  English replaced?   not in our lifetime. 

you absolutely surrrrrre about that?  :P

And what ever stupid shit you want me to look up won't change the language of the country from English to something else.

No, ...but the thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Mexicans pouring into your country will.  :o

Oh look, there goes another one... just sneaked in, ...and there's another... quick, he just darted under your bed.

none of what you said matters.

They shouldn't have been allowed to immigrate if they didn't speak the language.

Don't you get it? America's economy would collapse without them. The point is they WERE allowed to immigrate without speaking the language, and your government... the bush government doesn't care one bit. It's exactly the way they want it, otherwise they would have done something about it. And if you think it's bad now, ...wait until a few thousand Mexican soldiers return from afghanistan with citizenship in their hands ready to set up home in your little community. And when you try to tell one of them to speak English, he'll say "¡CÓJALE! Soy un veterano de guerra de Estados Unidos que sirvió este país en Afganistán e I' ¡el ll habla lo que quiere la cogida yo!"

Loose translation:
'FVCK YOU! I'm a United States war veteran who served this country in Afghanistan, and I'll speak whatever the fvck I want!"

come one come all!  I love ya.  just speak passable English and I'll love you long time!

{giggle} oh you so horny  ;D

When you are born in America you are a citizen period.  by birth right.  What's written on Ellis Island is for people who are immigrating.

And that's what alot of those spanish speakers are... new Americans who have immigrated to the USA.

seriously Jag, sometimes your arguments are really stupid.
We are not talking about VACATIONING ARE WE?  another stupid try at an argument.

how do you know the family you got so righteously pissed off over weren't on vacation?  :D

If i MOVED to France i would learn the language.  Otherwise i get what i deserve.

Would you even put mayonnaise on your french fries too? You're nothing but an appeaser!

Learn English or be killed!

;D

{giggle} ok, I gotta admit that made me laugh out loud!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2008, 09:40:35 PM »
He took spanish by choice last the 2 years in school.  Got a B+ and a A-.

So how come he couldn't take their order?  Did they pass him just to get the transfer money from the state?
no child left behind kinda thing?

Feel free to try again Jag.   ;D

Give me a few moments... I'll try try to think of something new  ;D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »
Your Liberal perspective is getting smacked around pretty bad here JAG.

I noticed.  :-\

We must all be English speaking fascist.   ;D

Yep! Actually I prefer the term Yankeecentic imperialists, ...but english speaking fascists is fine for now.  ;D

ps: Don't be so frikkin' smug mister. you try defending this position and see how easy it is.  :-\
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »
As for business.

It's a business prerogatived in the interest of attracting Spanish speaking customers to has bilingual employees and cater to spanish only speaking people.  nothing wrong with that.   BECAUSE IT'S THEIR capitalistic CHOICE!

;D

Absolutely!  it's a choice! What cracks me up tho is when I see these english ONLY speakers who have chosen NOT to speak another language get absolutely blue in the face and all bent out of shape because someone else has exercised their choice NOT to learn another language.

While there are some countries I could probably skate by in without learning the language, my own pride wouldn't let me... I don't want anyone catering to ME... That's just wrong.

Well then let me suggest they weren't doing it right.  ;D

If we are in agreement then I don't understand what you are saying exactly.

The guy should have learned English right? He was in The United States of America where the native language is in fact, English yes?

What I'm saying is that any smart forward thinking person would choose to learn the predominate languages of a country. It's a logical progression for anyone who wants to get ahead on this continent, ...however, just as you have the choice NOT to learn Spanish. S/he too also has the choice NOT to learn English.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »

ps: Don't be so frikkin' smug mister. you try defending this position and see how easy it is.  :-\

I respect you for that.   ;D