Author Topic: COACH!!  (Read 5108 times)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
COACH!!
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »
Dude, I strained by upper inner thigh several weeks ago trying to do a 1-legged squat (without any support) and its still bothering me when i squat!

I've tried  doing some  psoas stretches that my brother told me- before and in between my squat sets but the fuckin pain won't go away! It's really bothersome, and I want to get rid of it ASAP!

Help!!!!!
follow the arrows

The Coach

Re: COACH!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »
Dude, I strained by upper inner thigh several weeks ago trying to do a 1-legged squat (without any support) and its still bothering me when i squat!

I've tried  doing some  psoas stretches that my brother told me- before and in between my squat sets but the fuckin pain won't go away! It's really bothersome, and I want to get rid of it ASAP!

Help!!!!!

When you mean without any support, what do you mean? Is there any discoloration?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »
I mean without any support for the other leg, I think they're called "pistol squats". No discoloration.
follow the arrows

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
I mean without any support for the other leg, I think they're called "pistol squats". No discoloration.

If there is no discoloration, usually means no tear. The only thing you can do at this point is to ice the effected area, anti-imflammatories and rest for about a week or longer. When you start back, start back with light weight, unilateral exercises start with bodyweight only for low reps and progess from there.

Is what you were doing similar to this? We do these, but we do them off of a plyo box. I usually won't let anyone do these until they gradually progess into them. Sometimes it takes a while.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:23:49 PM »
If there is no discoloration, usually means no tear. The only thing you can do at this point is to ice the effected area, anti-imflammatories and rest for about a week or longer. When you start back, start back with light weight, unilateral exercises start with bodyweight only for low reps and progess from there.

Is what you were doing similar to this? We do these, but we do them off of a plyo box. I usually won't let anyone do these until they gradually progess into them. Sometimes it takes a while.

Thanks joe, I did it without any warmup.. was just messin around, i don't use it in my routine.

Are there any stretches i can do that can help with this?
follow the arrows

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
Dude, I strained by upper inner thigh several weeks

I did that and it took nearly 2 years to get back to 100%

The Coach

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
Haider, not trying to take away from your athletisism at all, but as you probably know (and im going to rub in and I know you know this) but not warming wasn't smart. This is the protocol I use with ALL of my athletes and the majority of my general public.

1. Foam Roller (mayofacial release)

2. Dynamic warmup (15-20min)

3. Weights

4. Static stretch

Using this type of protocol WILL help reduce injury.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »
The injury's a classic example of why i've recommended avoidance of one-legged squats, leg presses, etc. using any degree of weight for a long time. That injury's the direct result of inordinate stress placed on the leg in use factoring in bodyweight plus added resistance; warmups will not always be sufficient to offset the pressures involved.

The upsides of one-legged work with any real resistance are usually not worth the increased likelihood of injury; if the idea's to develop balance/enhace stabilizers, that can be accomplished  without using a lot of weight.

Same thing applies to plyometrics.

Better not to try to rush recovery. Try something easy like bike, swimming first, avoid direct weight work on the area for a while otherwise the injury can linger. It's typical to try to rush to recover, which can create more problems. Always be patient in warming up, using a bike if possible plus some light sets. 3-5 minutes of warmup can help alot.

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 05:32:20 PM »
Pumpster, do you even know why unilateral work is recommended besides strengtning stabilizers? And do you know why plyos are used in day to day training for athletes?

BTW, a 3-5min warm up is not NEARLY long enough for anytype of training. Yes, if he would have warmed up properly the injury could have been avoided. It's WELL known that proper warmup and stretching (static) not only improves performance but drastically reduced injury.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »
Try not to get sidelined here coach, some of your ideas are ok. The whys vary by individual and application, are only the backstory in this case. Bottom line they can be extremely problematic, as demonstrated here.