Author Topic: Weighted dips  (Read 2786 times)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Weighted dips
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:38 AM »
ha ha thanks though the key is to keep good form, go below parallel without goinhg too far

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »
problem is too many guys let the added weight carry them too far down and they bounce out of the bottom.
Exactly, almost everyone I see bounces out of that "hole".  Guys think they are gymnasts or something and overstretch that area.  I personally like BW dips and if you use gymnasts as examples, you can see that muscle can be built with your bodyweight...just not 22 inch arms.  8) 

Goudy is right.  It's a fine line with regards to depth.
Squishy face retard

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
gymnasts are short though and spent a lifetime building the physique displayed on tv + they got great genetics or they wouldnt be gymnasts
Z

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 08:41:20 AM »
Geo has a  video of himself doing dips (2 plates if I remember correctly)  in the half way rep range. Not too low or not to lockout, which would probably be preferred by most guy's here ( video somewhere on GetBig, don't care to search it out).That bottom bounce zone can also be a tear zone when using too heavy a weight even with a proper warm-up, as suggested by others. Dips need not cause any worry if approached with common sense, like most other exercises. On a personal bases, I prefer dips over flat benches any time.

Seen some close to 300lb dips in workouts. Heard of some over 300, but never seen one in person. For the most part, I have learned to never go completely by what a home or poor quality video may show with regard to heavy lifting. Probably one the the strongest dippers of all time was Marvin Eder.

A regular dipping belt will meet the needs of most guy's. Getting into heavier stuff, you will need a hip belt. Kind of hard to find, but I am sure they are out there. With a hip belt, all the weight is not centered just in the front of the body, as with a regular dipping belt. Can also use unbelievable  weight when doing hip/back/leg movements. Good Luck.
F