Author Topic: How many people here actually believe prayer has an affect on anything?  (Read 35073 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: How many people here actually believe prayer has an affect on anything?
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
The point that the bible/koran whatever were written/compiled by men. It didn't fall out of the sky or magically appear. During those times men would believe almost anything and were worshiping anything they didn't understand. Some things haven't changed since those times. The religious freaks would have everyone just have faith and not try to decipher whats going on in the world around them. A number of scientists in ancient times were persecuted because their "findings" clashed with the church's desire to keep men as dumb sheep. The had all the other religions at that time slowly killed off or integrated while trying to keep their mind control going.  Just because something isn't clear now doesn't mean it won't be sorted out later. Science is a gradual process involved in getting to the answers being testing each hypothesis for validity.It doesn't claim to be a be-all- know all entity. Science encourages questioning to get to the answers. Religion fears questioning while encouraging ignorance.

The church's viewpoint is - shut the frag up and don't ask questions. Do what we tell you because we know what the imaginary father figure wants us to do  ::).

I don’t know what church YOU attended, but at mine (and tons of others), we have this little thing called……BIBLE STUDY. We encourage people to study Scripture; we have discussions, in which questions are asked and answers given and explained.

That’s why, when the printing press came to the Western world, the Bible was one of the first works that was mass-produced. It was so that people could study FOR THEMSELVES. It also helped spark the Reformation. People saw the big gap between what the Bible actually said and what certain religious leaders claimed it said.

This may come as a shock to certain people, but lots of folk study the Word on their own. In fact (and this really freaks some atheists out), there are many people who weren’t Christians but BECAME CHRISTIANS by actually studying the Bible and asking questions  :o

If anything, the angst of many pastors is that their congregation doesn’t do ENOUGH Bible study on their own accord.

As for your science spiel, what you keep forgetting is that early men of science were Christians. Their discoveries help solidify their belief in a supernatural Creator. And, as shown with the printing press, many of these men used their scientific knowledge to follow Christ’s decree to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, and preach the Gospel.

Christians don't fear questions; they welcome them. It gives them the opportunity to share their faith, something that atheists claim gets on their nerves.

I wonder why the religion boys need to visit a hospital when they get sick. Surely God can heal the faithful without human intervention.  The sad fact is that those who subscribe to religion need to have faith in something to prop up their weak psyche'. The fact that there is no father figure around to coddle them would be too much for them

Why not visit hospitals? After all, the "religion boys" (or their predecessors) were likely responsible for those hospitals existing, in the first place (Have you noticed the number of "Methodist" or "Baptist" hospitals and clinics in your city or state?).

Where are all the "atheist/humanist" hosptials, humanitarian centers, food banks, homeless shelters, etc.? Why aren't people running to centers of godlessness in times of trouble? If I'm not mistaken, there's are St. Jude's medical centers that help parents care for their sick kids, REGARDLESS of the parents' income. For some strange reason, I don't see no Charles Darwin Hospitals or orphanges; nor do I see Madalyn Murray O'Hair homeless shelters or food banks.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »
Bill Gates, an atheist donates more money than all charities in the United States combined.

I love that little fact.

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  Look it up.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2008, 08:27:39 AM »

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2008, 08:32:54 AM »
I don’t know what church YOU attended, but at mine (and tons of others), we have this little thing called……BIBLE STUDY. We encourage people to study Scripture; we have discussions, in which questions are asked and answers given and explained.

That’s why, when the printing press came to the Western world, the Bible was one of the first works that was mass-produced. It was so that people could study FOR THEMSELVES. It also helped spark the Reformation. People saw the big gap between what the Bible actually said and what certain religious leaders claimed it said.

This may come as a shock to certain people, but lots of folk study the Word on their own. In fact (and this really freaks some atheists out), there are many people who weren’t Christians but BECAME CHRISTIANS by actually studying the Bible and asking questions  :o

If anything, the angst of many pastors is that their congregation doesn’t do ENOUGH Bible study on their own accord.

As for your science spiel, what you keep forgetting is that early men of science were Christians. Their discoveries help solidify their belief in a supernatural Creator. And, as shown with the printing press, many of these men used their scientific knowledge to follow Christ’s decree to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, and preach the Gospel.

Christians don't fear questions; they welcome them. It gives them the opportunity to share their faith, something that atheists claim gets on their nerves.

Why not visit hospitals? After all, the "religion boys" (or their predecessors) were likely responsible for those hospitals existing, in the first place (Have you noticed the number of "Methodist" or "Baptist" hospitals and clinics in your city or state?).

Where are all the "atheist/humanist" hosptials, humanitarian centers, food banks, homeless shelters, etc.? Why aren't people running to centers of godlessness in times of trouble? If I'm not mistaken, there's are St. Jude's medical centers that help parents care for their sick kids, REGARDLESS of the parents' income. For some strange reason, I don't see no Charles Darwin Hospitals or orphanges; nor do I see Madalyn Murray O'Hair homeless shelters or food banks.

The point is that all they're reading is the bible dumbass. Its doesn't matter whether it was done in a church or your own home. Do the "faithful" also read darwin or any other scientific journals with equal ardor? They read what they're told to read and will ignore anything the church tells them to stay away from. If the bible is so compelling why is it that several people who grew up with  have turned away from it.  People always do what's in their best interests. If the bible had all the answers no one would be an atheist. Why is it that churches aren't encouraging people to read widely on other religions and scientific articles and compare them with their own religious beliefs?

Lets not forget the Davinci Code fiasco. Rather than stand up to a healthy debate the church tried to have the movie banned and even exerted pressure on other countries not to show it. Church's were also encouraging their sheep to buy up all the copies to burn them. All that fuss over a fictional tale. :D

Why is it that God allows priests to sodomize young kids in his own house? Surely god should be protecting the young and faithful when they are abused by members of his own clergy

As for hospitals - don't make me laugh. If God could heal everyone- why are hospitals even needed? Surely faith heals...right?  Why do the "faithful" need to rely on humans when God could do a better job? Oh..I forgot..the ways of god are beyond human understanding  ;D. Hospitals are a business like any other. Lets dispense with the charity facade.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2008, 08:35:05 AM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2008, 08:37:39 AM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2008, 08:40:12 AM »

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2008, 08:41:45 AM »
The point is that all they're reading is the bible dumbass. Its doesn't matter whether it was done in a church or your own home. Do the "faithful" also read darwin or any other scientific journals with equal ardor? They read what they're told to read and will ignore anything the church tells them to stay away from. If the bible is so compelling why is it that several people who grew up with  have turned away from it.  People always do what's in their best interests. If the bible had all the answers no one would be an atheist. Why is it that churches aren't encouraging people to read widely on other religions and scientific articles and compare them with their own religious beliefs?

Lets not forget the Davinci Code fiasco. Rather than stand up to a healthy debate the church tried to have the movie banned and even exerted pressure on other countries not to show it. Church's were also encouraging their sheep to buy up all the copies to burn them. All that fuss over a fictional tale. :D

Why is it that God allows priests to sodomize young kids in his own house? Surely god should be protecting the young and faithful when they are abused by members of his own clergy

As for hospitals - don't make me laugh. If God could heal everyone- why are hospitals even needed? Surely faith heals...right?  Why do the "faithful" need to rely on humans when God could do a better job? Oh..I forgot..the ways of god are beyond human understanding  ;D. Hospitals are a business like any other. Lets dispense with the charity facade.

5'9", 235, lean, bench 405...'nuff said... 8)
I hate the State.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2008, 08:42:49 AM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »
Amazing how everyone who has the answer to our existence is posting on a bodybuilding website.  Bunch of tattoed punks who's priority is to own people, juice up, and be the idiots most people laugh at. All the time thinking we're the cool ones.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
Gates is an athiest?  I did not know that.  VERY interesting.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »
http://www.celebatheists.com/index.php?title=Category:Atheist

Here is a great Site!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »
I always enjoyed this exchange:

Gates was profiled in a January 13, 1996 TIME magazine cover story. Here are some excerpts compiled by the Drudge Report:

"Isn't there something special, perhaps even divine, about the human soul?" interviewer Walter Isaacson asks Gates "His face suddenly becomes expressionless," writes Isaacson, "his squeaky voice turns toneless, and he folds his arms across his belly and vigorously rocks back and forth in a mannerism that has become so mimicked at MICROSOFT that a meeting there can resemble a round table of ecstatic rabbis."

"I don't have any evidence on that," answers Gates. "I don't have any evidence of that."

He later states, "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »
"Miracle Man" Lance Armstrong knows that there is no such thing as god and that god is powerless.  He also happens to be the leading fund raiser and dona tor when it comes to cancer and cancer research.
All this by an atheist. :)  He also left his wife because she was too religious. lol

Lance Armstrong

28-Jul-02 - From Lance Armstrong's book It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, published by G.P Putnam's Sons 2000.

pp. 116-118

Lance Armstrong

The night before brain surgery, I thought about death. I searched out my larger values, and I asked myself, if I was going to die, did I want to do it fighting and clawing or in peaceful surrender? What sort of character did I hope to show? Was I content with myself and what I had done with my life so far? I decided that I was essentially a good person, although I could have been better--but at the same time I understood that the cancer didn't care.

I asked myself what I believed. I had never prayed a lot. I hoped hard, I wished hard, but I didn't pray. I had developed a certain distrust of organized religion growing up, but I felt I had the capacity to be a spiritual person, and to hold some fervent beliefs. Quite simply, I believed I had a responsiblity to be a good person, and that meant fair, honest, hardworking, and honorable. If I did that, if I was good to my family, true to my friends, if I gave back to my community or to some cause, if I wasn't a liar, a cheat, or a thief, then I believed that should be enough. At the end of the day, if there was indeed some Body or presence standing there to judge me, I hoped I would be judged on whether I had lived a true life, not on whther I believed in a certain book, or whether I'd been baptized. If there was indeed a God at the end of my days, I hoped he didn't say, "But you were never a Christian, so you're going the other way from heaven." If so, I was going to reply, "You know what? You're right. Fine."

I believed, too, in the doctors and the medicine and the surgeries--I believed in that. I believed in them. A person like Dr. Einhorn [his oncologist], that's someone to believe in, I thought, a person with the mind to develop an experimental treatment 20 years ago that now could save my life. I believed in the hard currency of his intelligence and his research.

Beyond that, I had no idea where to draw the line between spiritual belief and science. But I knew this much: I believed in belief, for its own shining sake. To believe in the face of utter hopelessness, every article of evidence to the contrary, to ignore apparent catastrophe--what other choice was there? We do it every day, I realized. We are so much stronger than we imagine, and belief is one of the most valiant and long-lived human characteristics. To believe, when all along we humans know that nothing can cure the briefness of this life, that there is no remedy for our basic mortality, that is a form of bravery.

To continue believing in yourself, believing in the doctors, believing in the treatment, believing in whatever I chose to believe in, that was the most important thing, I decided. It had to be.

Without belief, we would be left with nothing but an overwhelming doom, every single day. And it will beat you. I didn't fully see, until the cancer, how we fight every day gainst the creeping negatives of the world, how we struggle daily against the slow lapping of cynicism. Dispiritedness and disappointment, these were the real perils of life, not some sudden illness or cataclysmic millennium doomsday. I knew now why people fear cancer: because it is a slow and inevitable death, it is the very definition of cynicism and loss of spirit.

So, I believed.

---

This interview excerpt from page 8 of the current TIME magazine dated Sept 29, 2003, "10 Questions for Lance Armstrong," seems to put him in the agnostic, if not atheist camp:

Interviewer: "For a miracleman, you're not very religious."

Armstrong: "I don't have anything against organized religion per se. We all need something in our lives. I personally just have not accepted that belief. But I'm one of the few."

Lance Armstrong ---

An article http://www.lancearmstrongfanclub.com/uktimesonline.html in the UK Times Online by Alastair Campbell, printed Saturday Feb 28, 2004, says:

He lives, close to several of his US Postal Service team colleagues, in a first-floor, four-bedroom apartment at the heart of Girona's old town. Although a confirmed atheist, he takes me almost immediately to the tiny chapel, lovingly describes its features, and, above all, the 15th-century painting of the Crucifixion that takes pride of place.

...snip...

Despite the chapel, despite the crucifix around his neck (a link with a fellow cancer patient), Armstrong is deeply suspicious of organised religion. He never knew his "so-called father", and he says that in all his 32 years, he has never asked his Mum, Linda, a single question about him. He was born with the name Gunderson, then his mother married the man who gave him his name. Terry Armstrong talked religion but used to beat Lance with a paddle and he was relieved when he walked out. "He was like me in that he got his name from someone else," Armstrong says. "His biological name was Love. But his Mom married a man named Raymond Armstrong, a preacher. It's weird, I've got his name, my kids have his name but I have never met him and I never want to meet him."

His stance on religion is in marked contrast to his wife's ever more fervent Catholicism and the difference may have been one of the factors that led to their marriage breaking up. Armstrong believes it is possible to be a good person while not believing. "I think we all have obligations to be good, honest, hard-working, caring and compassionate," he says. "You have to try and it won't always be easy but you try your best. I do not believe that because you are not prepared to submit yourself to a god or a higher being, that when you get to the end of the road, you will be sent down. I'm not prepared to believe that."

--- Lance Armstrong was quoted by ET Magazine as saying "If there was a god, I'd still have both nuts."

---

EC, please place commentary on the discussion page. This page is for cites only. --ReedEsau 12:35, 7 January 2006 (PST)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »

The church's viewpoint is - shut the frag up and don't ask questions. Do what we tell you because we know what the imaginary father figure wants us to do  ::).

Dreadlord were you raised Catholic?
R

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »

the lord works in mysterious ways

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2008, 11:04:52 AM »
Suffice to say: I am getbig's premiere atheist. ;)
Deicide, are you sure you are an atheist?

You have over 1300 posts on the religion board and it is by activity your most popular board here.

Your chosen nick here is concerned with God:
Deicide:
1. The act of killing a being of a divine nature; particularly, the putting to death of Jesus Christ.
2. One concerned in putting Christ to death.

1. the killing of a god.
2. the killer of a god. — deicidal, adj.

In addition your avatar looks to have something to do with God or religion.

You also discuss God and religion on other message boards on the net.

Why do you think you spend hours upon hours discussing something in which you claim not to believe?

Also, why do you choose to describe yourself with a definition (Atheist) that implies the possibility that God (or gods) may exist?

If you truly don't believe that God exists do you think it would be more accurate to say you are a physicalist?
R

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »
The point is that all they're reading is the bible dumbass. Its doesn't matter whether it was done in a church or your own home. Do the "faithful" also read darwin or any other scientific journals with equal ardor? They read what they're told to read and will ignore anything the church tells them to stay away from. If the bible is so compelling why is it that several people who grew up with  have turned away from it.

For the same reason that several others who grew up with it STAYED with it and others who didn't grow with it have embraced it: Choice and free will.

People always do what's in their best interests. If the bible had all the answers no one would be an atheist. Why is it that churches aren't encouraging people to read widely on other religions and scientific articles and compare them with their own religious beliefs?

Wrong again!! Churches have done that; mine certainly has. You again make the erroneous assumption that those who do such will abandon their Christian beliefs. That's simply not the case.

Did you bother checking out the churches that address the claims of the Da Vinci Code, with the refutations to those claims, or are you simply affixed to the Roman Catholic Church? The Da Vinci Code doesn't bother me in the least, as it's the same re-hashed foolishness that has been picked apart for decades (if not centuries).

As long as there's sin in this world (and man keeps disobeying God's laws), unfortunately there will be people who suffer. There will come a time when such wickedness will be eliminated from this planet. Until then, Christ charged His followers to help those who have been hurt.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
For the same reason that several others who grew up with it STAYED with it and others who didn't grow with it have embraced it: Choice and free will.

Wrong again!! Churches have done that; mine certainly has. You again make the erroneous assumption that those who do such will abandon their Christian beliefs. That's simply not the case.

Did you bother checking out the churches that address the claims of the Da Vinci Code, with the refutations to those claims, or are you simply affixed to the Roman Catholic Church? The Da Vinci Code doesn't bother me in the least, as it's the same re-hashed foolishness that has been picked apart for decades (if not centuries).

As long as there's sin in this world (and man keeps disobeying God's laws), unfortunately there will be people who suffer. There will come a time when such wickedness will be eliminated from this planet. Until then, Christ charged His followers to help those who have been hurt.

Oh boy....I hope one of your children grows up one day becomes rational and tells you that he resented having this shit forcefed to him as a child; you really deserve that.
I hate the State.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »
Who cares what man does with God's laws. Why does God chose to let HIS OWN clergy abuse kids in HIS OWN house? Surely the almighty creator can step in and prevent it from happening in the first place. Maybe God enjoys watching pedo's at work.  :-X

If god is the creator he bears some responsibility for the actions of his creations who use his bullshit to bring suffering onto others. You have that bible so far up your ass you're regurgitating it  pages like a zombie. Why don't you face up to the fact that you're just weak willed and need a fictional father figure as a crutch to move on with your life?

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

You have over 1300 posts on the religion board and it is by activity your most popular board here.

Deicide:
1. The act of killing a being of a divine nature; particularly, the putting to death of Jesus Christ.

1. the killing of a god.

Why do you think you spend hours upon hours discussing something in which you claim not to believe?

Also, why do you choose to describe yourself with a definition (Atheist) that implies the possibility that God (or gods) may exist?

If you truly don't believe that God exists do you think it would be more accurate to say you are a physicalist?
Great post.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »

Deicide:

1. the killing of a god.

Of course I am an atheist; I am also an antitheist and have said so many times:

"I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."

Of course there is a possibility that gods exist; no one can be entirely sure there are no gods but one can be virtually certain.

Richard Dawkins uses a scale of 1-7, 1 meaning you are absolutely sure there are gods and 7 meaning you are absolutely sure there are no gods; I am a 6. Most rational atheists would be a 6, just like you would be a 2 (likely).

As to why I talk about religion here and elsewhere on the net; I need some form of entertainment. In real life I never think about god/gods nor talk about such things with my friends (they are rational); admittedly I am more of an antitheist than many of my atheist friends who think theism and religion are silly but don't otherwise bother with it but I think it is harmful. We know the world is not 6,000 years old and yet people insist not only on believing it is, they insist on telling their children it is as well. Religion (especially your sort of fundamentalist religion) clouds the mind, is rigid and is entirely solipsistic in its nature. Anyway...there you go. At the end of the day it simply baffles me how people can believe such utter falsehood such as talking snakes and sinful apples and all the rest of the junk.

I hate the State.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
Of course I am an atheist; I am also an antitheist and have said so many times:

Of course there is a possibility that gods exist; no one can be entirely sure there are no gods but one can be virtually certain.

Richard Dawkins uses a scale of 1-7, 1 meaning you are absolutely sure there are gods and 7 meaning you are absolutely sure there are no gods; I am a 6. Most rational atheists would be a 6, just like you would be a 2 (likely).

As to why I talk about religion here and elsewhere on the net; I need some form of entertainment. In real life I never think about god/gods nor talk about such things with my friends (they are rational); admittedly I am more of an antitheist than many of my atheist friends who think theism and religion are silly but don't otherwise bother with it but I think it is harmful. We know the world is not 6,000 years old and yet people insist not only on believing it is, they insist on telling their children it is as well. Religion (especially your sort of fundamentalist religion) clouds the mind, is rigid and is entirely solipsistic in its nature. Anyway...there you go. At the end of the day it simply baffles me how people can believe such utter falsehood such as talking snakes and sinful apples and all the rest of the junk.

Make sure you clairfy that when you are a 6 on the scale, it regards that the likelihood that a talking vacuum cleaner will win the 2008 Mr. Olympia is the same as the likelihood of the existence of god.