Author Topic: back grip  (Read 3283 times)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: back grip
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »
6'2" 245!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dude you are so HUGE!!!! :o ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 09:05:32 AM »
That would be 6'2 and 240lbs...not 245. Might want to have you eyes checked. Or who ever is typing for you should pay better attention. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 09:21:52 AM »

Side Bar: offer still stands if QuakerOats/SF would like to be our fat pig at the deep pit pig roast this weekend.  You being 5'3 and 330 lbs, that would be ideal for some of our island folks. Fatty white meat with extra hot sauce on it. Don't worry, we can send the bones back to the trailer park if you want.

From SF worship and wannabe friend to this in no time flat. :o

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »
7-foot version to accomodate those with extra girth. ::)

E-Z curl is THE best way to do close-grip BP

Fat Bar EZ Curl Bar

The only thing that you need to know about this thing is that it is 7 feet long. What that means is that you can use it in your racks and benches. So you no longer have to ask your training partner or Douchie LaRue to hand you the EZ Curl bar for extensions.

Comes with collars: weighs 25lbs.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »
looks like an awesome bar, still don't think it would be enough for "jpm" chiseled massively muscled body though. ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
Actually if you re-read my post I said that there is not enough bar to do wider rows (without the elbows hitting the 45's). I did say that an Olympic style EZ bar was great for doing curls and up-right rows.  An EZ bar reminds me of one big DB. Still feel a little wedged in when using one, having long arms and a wide reach.  But than again, just my feel about it. If people want to try collar to collar BB row's on an EZ bar and get great results, than good for them. But it does not meet my personal needs.

I have suggested, in past post, favoring the close to medium curl grip to hit the lat's better. Goes for chins also.  But with any BB row action, experimenting with a narrow, medium and wide grip can be a good idea. Actually doing 2-3 sets of each, when doing BB rows, in a back workout can be rewarding. Can also apply this to the BP for good results.

Personal data: height is a few hash marks above 6'2. And tipping the scales this morning at 240lbs. I was 5'11 in the 9th grade and around 190lbs. Between 265 to 275 at my college playing weight, at 6'2. Any experience lifter may have a hard time picking clothes off the rack. Wal-Mart does not do it for me. (that xxxL stuff is crap). I do fit well in my F-150 truck but not all that well in a Ford Focus. Which is not a normal size car. Not too big for airplane seats, where I usually  get a aisle seat. Can fit in any machine equipment. Best fit was the Nautilus pullover machine by far. Their shoulder machine second (great delt compound exercise).

Side Bar: offer still stands if QuakerOats/SF would like to be our fat pig at the deep pit pig roast this weekend.  You being 5'3 and 330 lbs, that would be ideal for some of our island folks. Fatty white meat with extra hot sauce on it. Don't worry, we can send the bones back to the trailer park if you want.
I agree, wider rows not happening with an EZ bar and 45's.........

but I gotta call bullshit on the airplane seats....I'm 6'2" and I can't fit in those things for shit, my legs are always getting smashed, even in the aisle. Best bet in the emergency aisle, those are open a bit more.

BTW, 240 is an OK weight to be at, I think, though not "big" by most people standards.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »
I agree, wider rows not happening with an EZ bar and 45's.........

but I gotta call bullshit on the airplane seats....I'm 6'2" and I can't fit in those things for shit, my legs are always getting smashed, even in the aisle. Best bet in the emergency aisle, those are open a bit more.

BTW, 240 is an OK weight to be at, I think, though not "big" by most people standards.
according to jpm 240 pounds is too big to fit into XXL and XXXL clothes off the rack though. ::) maybe he has 23 inch arms, a 60 inch chest and a 22 inch waist. ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 04:25:50 PM »
according to jpm 240 pounds is too big to fit into XXL and XXXL clothes off the rack though. ::) maybe he has 23 inch arms, a 60 inch chest and a 22 inch waist. ;D
I'm 275 and xxl fits me fine.......maybe he needs to buy in mens xxl not womens?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
You have to pardon QuakerOats/SF, it creepy but he has a man crush on me. Why he keeps following me and popping up all the time after any of my post may be the reason. Sorry to say, I am in his head 24/7. He probably has a special tube of KY with my name on it. Wonder why no Mod calls trolling on him?

No slight to any one, but economy class seats do not offer the advantages of first class with regards to seating, for example. If you have a sister and cousin working in the airline industry, as I do, you do have certain advantages. Prime example would be flights to Hawaii and/or America Samoa . At times never leave fully booked, except on holidays or different seasons. Internal U.S. flights on SouthWest ( best for me and people I know) can be a real challenge sometimes. Chaos may want to try the first row, behind the rest room or captains cockpit on economy seating. Lots of extra leg room there.

Just a general observation on the xxx or whatever shirts.. I wear a 38" (depending on where the pants were made) waist pant. My body type tends not to hold much body fat, so 240 is a good lean weight for me. Tried on any of those clown xxl or xxxl shirts (or whatever) and they looks like ships sails around my waist.  Have to have shirts tapered. So I go to the China town (near North Broadway...L.A.) area and have shirts made. I am not rich and the shirts are more money, but worth it to me. Have not bought a ready made shirt in years. So not sure how those xxx, etc sizes run any more. It has been a while. As you know Chaos, big men can be hard on what they wear. General every day wear are shorts, sandals an football style loose athletic shirt. Good Luck.

OK...time for QuakerOats/SF to pop up again.

F

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 07:48:31 AM »
I must be the only one who works out at a gym with a 7' Olympic EZ-curl bar.  No different than a straight bar lengthwise.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
It would seem that Olympic style bar, in the video, would weigh more that 25lbs with collars. Being extra thick in the middle and all that.

I have never worked on a bar like that. Thick handled bar yes, but never EZ type. Would Trowbridge like to give more feedback on the feel of it? And the advantage of using one with other exercises, rather than BP's.

Use to have "U" shaped bars for benching only. But do not see then around anymore. Gave a better stretch to the chest area. Good Luck.
F

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 10:54:54 AM »
It would seem that Olympic style bar, in the video, would weigh more that 25lbs with collars. Being extra thick in the middle and all that.

I have never worked on a bar like that. Thick handled bar yes, but never EZ type. Would Trowbridge like to give more feedback on the feel of it? And the advantage of using one with other exercises, rather than BP's.

Use to have "U" shaped bars for benching only. But do not see then around anymore. Gave a better stretch to the chest area. Good Luck.

I use the big EZ bar instead of the small thing for pretty much anything that I'd use an EZ bar for.  If you've ever, for example, done preacher curls with a straight Oly bar and then with a 4' EZ bar, there's a lot less balancing necessary with the short bar.  The 7' EZ basically feels like a regular Oly bar but easier on the wrists, and the cambers are maybe a couple inches wider.  Other than that, nothing crazy different.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Just a general observation on the xxx or whatever shirts.. I wear a 38" (depending on where the pants were made) waist pant. My body type tends not to hold much body fat, so 240 is a good lean weight for me. Tried on any of those clown xxl or xxxl shirts (or whatever) and they looks like ships sails around my waist.  Have to have shirts tapered. So I go to the China town (near North Broadway...L.A.) area and have shirts made. I am not rich and the shirts are more money, but worth it to me. Have not bought a ready made shirt in years. So not sure how those xxx, etc sizes run any more. It has been a while. As you know Chaos, big men can be hard on what they wear. General every day wear are shorts, sandals an football style loose athletic shirt. Good Luck.
If you are a Samoan or Tongan like I think you might be it would certainly explain the size.  All the football players I worked out alongside were big and wide as hell even at the 250 mark and the 300 lb guys are monsters.  My old roommate is a 310 lb Samoan and his shirts looked like bed sheets..lol.
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »
Being a somewhat private person (though not introverted) I might offer that Samoa has a great influence on me. The island folk are larger boned, wide bodied and stronger by natural selection. Do not know why, just the way it is. I myself can not take credit  for any physical advantage . The whole Polynesian chain seems to have these same genetics.  Not all of these folks are super sized, though much more than the law of averages would allow. Bad news....Adapting to the white man's diet has given a lot of bros more body fat than needed. 300-400lbs is always bad news, no matter how large the bone structure, for a long life.

Samoans tend towards large joints to support a larger muscle and bone frame. Which can give stronger leverage when lifting. Hip and shoulder power very noticeable. Seen one Bro (very out of shape), who had never lifted anything heavier than a 40 ounce, by choice, power up 300+ in the clean and jerk for reps. Same with 325-330 BP's first time another guy tried them. Repeating this story again, be warned: My two cousins, both seniors in high school, benched 400+. Weighted around 235 at the time. To them it was not all that. Do not see a lot of Samoan BB'ers or lifter because, frankly, they are all ready big and strong. Nothing to prove to anyone. Another reason may be, they just do not care. That may be the island way.

The only white people, as far as I know, who may match this in bone structure and strength are upper northern Europeans. Met some very impressive Swedes and Norwegians when it came to natural abilities. Just check out the strongman contest. So any Scandinavian genetics (Vikings/Norseman), in theory, could help. Scandinavian blood also runs through the lowlands like Denmark & Holland.  Even Germany, Ireland (Dublin was founder by Norsemen) and Scotland for that matter. Good Luck.

F

ASJChaotic

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
If it does cause pain use it with straps, which will take much of the pressure off while allowing thumbless. I use straps because the grip does start to go when the weight gets heavy, could care less about grip strength.

For me there's nothing better than neutral palms facing together and slight variations from that for lats. Better lat isolation, very easy to grip, minimal stress for most grip widths.
LOL pumpster.....had no idea you were a moderator  :D