Author Topic: Palin Makes Her First Gaffe  (Read 4056 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Palin Makes Her First Gaffe
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
 ;D

Gov. Sarah Palin made her first potentially major gaffe during her time on the national scene while discussing the developments of the perilous housing market this past weekend.

Speaking before voters in Colorado Springs, the Republican vice presidential nominee claimed that lending giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had "gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers." The companies, as McClatchy reported, "aren't taxpayer funded but operate as private companies. The takeover may result in a taxpayer bailout during reorganization."

Economists and analysts pounced on the misstatement, saying it demonstrated a lack of understanding about one of the key economic issues likely to face the next administration.

"You would like to think that someone who is going to be vice president and conceivable president would know what Fannie and Freddie do," said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research. "These are huge institutions and they are absolutely central to our country's mortgage debt. To not have a clue what they do doesn't speak well for her, I'd say."

Added Andrew Jakabovics, an economic analysts for the progressive think tank, Center for American Progress: "It is somewhat nonsensical because up until yesterday there was sort of no public funding there. Even today they haven't drawn down any of the credit line they have given to Treasury. 'Gotten too big and too expensive' are two separate things. The too big has been a conservative mantra for a while and there is something to be said of that in that they hold about half of the mortgage guarantees that are out there. And in the last year they have been responsible for roughly 80 percent out there. The 'too expensive to tax payers,' I don't know where that comes from."

Even conservative analysts acknowledged that the statement simply did not hold true.

"Heretofore, if the treasury had a balance sheet there would have been a liability but there was never a taxpayer payment before [the bailout]," said Gerald P. O'Driscoll, an economist with the Cato Institute. "[Fannie and Freddie] were not taxpayer funded. They had taxpayer guarantee, which is worth something, especially in the stock market..."

The Palin misstatement comes as Fannie and Freddie are set to be placed under control of the Federal Housing Finance Agency, created by President Bush in late July to help regulate the two housing giants. Both presidential candidates have been critical of Fannie and Freddie but neither is opposed to the government's plans for the companies. The treasury is hoping that the government's role will help stabilize credit markets and incentive more mortgage lending.

"With the takeover they will be taxpayer funded," said O'Driscoll. "As I understand it they get to withdraw funds with permission going forward."

How politically significant a "gaffe" it is remains to be seen. The major concern about Palin's position on the ticket is that she lacks the economic and foreign policy wherewithal to serve as vice president. This certainly doesn't help on that front. At the same time, the remark went almost entirely unnoticed over the weekend and discussions on the developments of the housing market can be difficult to process for even the most attuned voter.

There are varying explanations that could be offered for Palin's defense. As O'Driscoll noted, both Fannie and Freddie "were hybrid institutions because they had private ownership but... an implicit government guarantee which people thought at the end of the day was explicit." Meanwhile, as Baker noted, as of July the two lenders were being offered low market interest rates by the fed again, theoretically, at the taxpayer's expense. But, he added, "I kind of doubt she had any sense of that."
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Palin Makes Her First Gaffe
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »
to the top!
!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:42:19 AM »
I see a pattern here.....

Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig

Y

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »

Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig - Go to Huffingtonpost.com - post article on Getbig

No wonder why he isn't posting the source link.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
as a republican, i'm absolutely shocked at the support for Palin. un-fucking-believable!

Did/does the support for Obama surprise you as well?
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »

lol.  Truth.  

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »
ah Neuro, what kind of Republican are u exactly. McCain isn't really a repub or more rightly a conservative, Pallin is much more Conservative and more a tradional republican, so what kind of republican are u?
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »
U might get a dem for sec state
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »
palin has very little experience.  This is a fact.

Rove talked shit about Kaine's experience, which was a lot more than Palin has.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »

Obama has NO experience. And he is the top of the Democratic ticket. This is a fact.

Biden? Please. There is a reason why the guy got less than 1% of votes everytime he ran for the Democratic nomination.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »
Obama has NO experience. And he is the top of the Democratic ticket. This is a fact.

Biden? Please. There is a reason why the guy got less than 1% of votes everytime he ran for the Democratic nomination.
I think obama is kicking himself for not choosing hillary, this election would pretty much over if he had.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »

Karl Rove ain’t running for president; that is also a fact. So, Rove can talk all he wants.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »
I think obama is kicking himself for not choosing hillary, this election would pretty much over if he had.

This is absoultely true.  Same could be said if Hilary won the primaries.

Biden was an awful choice, and completely the type of lifetime Washington insider the Obama campaign was supposed to be against.

I guess we're to believe that correct VP for change was right under their noses in Washington for 35 years?  ;D
Y

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Speaking before voters in Colorado Springs, the Republican vice presidential nominee claimed that lending giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had "gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers." The companies, as McClatchy reported, "aren't taxpayer funded but operate as private companies. The takeover may result in a taxpayer bailout during reorganization."

Economists and analysts pounced on the misstatement, saying it demonstrated a lack of understanding about one of the key economic issues likely to face the next administration.

"You would like to think that someone who is going to be vice president and conceivable president would know what Fannie and Freddie do," said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research. "These are huge institutions and they are absolutely central to our country's mortgage debt. To not have a clue what they do doesn't speak well for her, I'd say."
!

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »
Biden was an awful choice, and completely the type of lifetime Washington insider the Obama campaign was supposed to be against.

I guess we're to believe that correct VP for change was right under their noses in Washington for 35 years?  ;D

Exactly.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
as a republican, i'm absolutely shocked at the support for Palin. un-fucking-believable!

what is happening to this country and my GOP ?

NT

What happened to your GOP?  Well the GOP had a great candidate right in front of them (Ron Paul) but instead decided to laugh at him and ignore him.  When will you Republicans learn?  Ron Paul is the only candidate that would have really changed the course of this country.  

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »

i'm a conservative republican, free markets, low taxes, reduced deficts, pro gun, anti abortion unless rape or incest involved. pro stem cell research, strong military (not for preemptive strikes @ 12 Billion per month, based on lies)

i don't hate gays/lesbians or try and change them. all people/races are fine with me as long as their educated and willing to work hard to achieve the "american dream."

i have ALWAYS voted republican, even for the douchebag in the WH. that i regret, and i'm willing to admit i was WRONG in doing so. (unlike many republicans)

HH6, are those positions considered liberal ?  

NT

wow, a respectable republican! too bad more of them arent like you. prepare to be flamed by our resident pea-brained neocons now.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Mr. Obama said quickly.

As well as stupidly saying that it was above his pay grade to tell the entire USA when he thinks life begins for an embryo.

Also, not being clear as to what kind of CHANGE he is referring to and HOW exactly is he going to achieve that "change".

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

Biden has a lot of experience though.  He and mccain have enough.

Obama has an 'okay' amount - 11 years in senates.

Palin - 20 months as governor... I dunno...

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
LOL @ 11 years in "senates".

If I was  trying to get a job as a CEO and put on my application qualifications that I was President of "Companies" because I operated a home telemarketing business and ran my own lemonade stand on the weekends, would that be an accurate and truthful representation indicating my experience?

I am attacking the messanger once again. 240, you are an idiot.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 12:20:41 PM »
LOL @ 11 years in "senates".

If I was  trying to get a job as a CEO and put on my application qualifications that I was President of "Companies" because I operated a home telemarketing business and ran my own lemonade stand on the weekends, would that be an accurate and truthful representation indicating my experience?

I am attacking the messanger once again. 240, you are an idiot.

7 years in indiana senate, and 4 years in US senate.

Sure beats 20 months as governor/crazy lady in church.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 01:06:52 PM »
HAHAHA...

she hasn't accidentally slipped up and told the world she is Muslim though.

BARACK FOR CHANGE!!!! 

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 01:14:45 PM »
HAHAHA...

she hasn't accidentally slipped up and told the world she is Muslim though.

BARACK FOR CHANGE!!!! 
contrary to what douchebags keep saying, obama has laid out clearly what he exactly intends to do and how. on the other hand, the republican ticket has yet to mention, even once how they would be any different/better than the last 8 years when their party failed again and again. they have so little direction or understanding of the issues, that instead of discussing things important to american people, they have decided to make their whole platform simply 'Insult Obama' 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
lol.  Truth.  
Truth would be the fact that short one liners constitute the bulk of your posts in this forum.  That getting an actual opinion out of you on anything is like pulling teeth.  That many of the shit for brains rightwing dipshits here also do the same thing constantly.  That you've all have made it absolutely pointless that one should give a shit about posting material in any hopes that it be discussed with any seriousness.  This forum is a big pile of shit thanks to you fucking assclowns. 

Here, let me get that eye roll for you  *** ::) ***

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »

what is happening to this country and my GOP ?

NT

Globalism.  :-\