Author Topic: Palin's Favorability Ratings Begin to Falter  (Read 4576 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Palin's Favorability Ratings Begin to Falter
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:31:47 PM »

To know her, it seems, is not necessarily to love her.

When John McCain picked Sarah Palin as his running mate late last month, the Alaska governor quickly became a media phenomenon. Largely unknown, she existed at first in something of an information vacuum, and due to the shock of her selection--everyone loves a surprise--the press rushed to fill the void with whatever data was easily available. Mostly this consisted of human interest material; Palin had plenty to go around. Mooseburgers. Float planes. Ice Fishing. Beauty pageants. Teen pregnancy. Et cetera. By the end of her first 15 minutes in the spotlight--which included her speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul--Palin existed mostly as an idea: a frontier supermom who'd triumphed over adversity (the Ol' Boys Club, the "liberal media"). Palin spent her first week reading from a teleprompter and avoiding questions from the press--and the public--so as not to sully this first impression.

The polls reflected the early success of her strategy. In the three days after Palin joined Team McCain--Aug. 29-31--32 percent of voters told the pollsters at Diageo/Hotline that they had a favorable opinion of her; most (48 percent) didn't know enough to say. By Sept. 4, however, 43 percent of Diageo/Hotline respondents approved of Palin with only 25 percent disapproving--an 18-point split. Apparently, voters were liking what they were hearing. Four days later, Palin's approval rating had climbed to 47 percent (+17), and by Sept. 13 it had hit 52 percent. The gap at that point between her favorable and unfavorable numbers--22 percent--was larger than either McCain's (+20) or Obama's (+13).

But then a funny thing happened: Palin lost some of her luster. Since Sept. 13, Palin's unfavorables have climbed from 30 percent to 36 percent. Meanwhile, her favorables have slipped from 52 percent to 48 percent. That's a three-day net swing of -10 points, and it leaves her in the Sept. 15 Diageo/Hotline tracking poll tied for the smallest favorability split (+12) of any of the Final Four. Over the course of a single weekend, in other words, Palin went from being the most popular White House hopeful to the least.

What happened? I'd argue that Palin's considerable novelty is starting to wear off. In part it's the result of a steady stream of unhelpful stories: her unfamiliarity with the Bush Doctrine during last Thursday's interview with Charles Gibson (video above); her refusal to cooperate with the Troopergate investigation; her repeated stretching of the truth on everything from earmarks to the Bridge to Nowhere to the amount of energy her state produces.
That stuff has a way of inspiring disapproval and eroding one's support. (Interestingly, Palin's preparedness numbers--about 50 percent yes, 45 percent no--haven't budged.) But mostly it's the start of an inevitable process. Between now and Nov. 4, voters will stop seeing Palin as a fascinating story and starting taking her measure as an actual candidate for office. Some will approve; some won't. It remains to be seen whether Palin's recent slide will continue, or hurt John McCain in the polls. But it's hard to argue that the journey from intriguing new superstar to earthbound politician--a necessary part of the process--doesn't involve a loss of altitude.

Just ask Barack Obama.
!

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
Re: Palin's Favorability Ratings Begin to Falter
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
Wow, everyone in the media has it out for the republicans.  I cant even turn my tv on and get unbiased news.  It makes me f ucking sick to my stomach.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »
Hey "Illegal" get this shit off this board.  Take it to the Politics Board.  Man, you would think you could understand english by now.  You can't even vote so why do you care.  It is because Obama plans on shorting the fence and it will be easier for you to jump over it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »
The truth hurts.   She's lying about a lot of things, she's dodging the troopergate investigation by refusing to testify after she said she would.  

The more people learn about her, the more they realize she's hot, but she's a religious nutbag who isn't experienced enough to run the most powerful nation on earth.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:37:40 PM »
Wow, everyone in the media has it out for the republicans.  I cant even turn my tv on and get unbiased news.  It makes me f ucking sick to my stomach.

Well, anything that has anything to do with republicans makes you suck in the stomach, so nothing's really new

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »
Hey "Illegal" get this shit off this board.  Take it to the Politics Board.  Man, you would think you could understand english by now.  You can't even vote so why do you care.  It is because Obama plans on shorting the fence and it will be easier for you to jump over it.
Say hi to the family, Jabba!
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:39:34 PM »
It is because Obama plans on shorting the fence and it will be easier for you to jump over it.

Didn't mcCain co-sponsor that immigration/amnesty bill which would have legalized 12 million illegals?

Yes, yes he did.  And he said once he's president, the bill will be restarted, and this time he'll override congressional disapproval ;)

hola!!

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:43:46 PM »
240, Obama is a junior senator, with little to no political experience, whereas mccain is a decorated war veteran who has served his time in the senate.  But your right, lets vote for a guy simply because he is black, thats smart.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
240, Obama is a junior senator, with little to no political experience, whereas mccain is a decorated war veteran who has served his time in the senate.  But your right, lets vote for a guy simply because he is black, thats smart.
Who has suggested that, other than you?  ::)

There are lot's of decorated war veterans serving in the senate. You better bring something other than that to the table.
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
Who has suggested that, other than you?  ::)

There are lot's of decorated war veterans serving in the senate. You better bring something other than that to the table.

his service is awesome.

Does it make him qualified to run the country? 

he admitted in the primaries he's very weak on the economy.  instead of choosing an uber-strong economy person like Romney or Fiorino, he selected someone who didn't have that skilset.  Not only that but palin had the highest earmark-per-person in the country.  She demanded more money from the govt than other states, and didn't have a lot of people.  She blew a lot of money while in office, and was even on McCain's list of officials who waste money.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »
Wow, do you think Obama knows about the economy?  No, neither one do, they both rely on advisers for almost all the decisions they make, you above all people 240, should know this.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
Wow, do you think Obama knows about the economy?  No, neither one do, they both rely on advisers for almost all the decisions they make, you above all people 240, should know this.

Obama has been calling for greater regulation in banking and lending industry.  McCain fancies himself the "de-Regulator".

De-regulation is what caused this mess today.  Regulations in lending help keep idiots from borrowing $300k to buy a house when they only make $25k a year.   mccain supported the de-regulation as a way to prevent taxing (the rich). 

There's a damn good reason these regulations exist.  To prevent 20 million people from borrowing and defaulting.  When they do, banks fail, as they have been in the last month.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »
Honestly, if your one of the many people that got a mortgage you couldn't afford, I'm glad it failed.  It's a lesson well learned.  Our country already lives well beyond its means.  Hopefully this will open many peoples eyes about their money.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »
Honestly, if your one of the many people that got a mortgage you couldn't afford, I'm glad it failed.  It's a lesson well learned.  Our country already lives well beyond its means.  Hopefully this will open many peoples eyes about their money.

There is one problem with "let them fail!"

When millions of them fail, banks fail.

When banks fail, the dollar weakens (loses value) significantly.  If it weakens enough, other nations stop trading in it (accepting it) and the US goes bankrupt.

it happened to Russia in 95 and Mexico in 1998.  People starve, there is chaos, and they start over.

So yes, it's a bad idea to let millions of people falter on their loans.  Those banks keep our economy alive.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
Although you are basically the village idiot of this board, I pretty much agree. If lending becomes more difficult and it is more difficult for people to get car loans and mortgages, I think that is a good thing. Americans are so materialistic that most live under a mountain of debt.
!

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
Benny, you sir are a funny man.  You call me an idiot and then agree with me.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
Benny, you sir are a funny man.  You call me an idiot and then agree with me.
Even a broken watch is right twice a day.  ;)
!

The Coach

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 06:11:26 PM »
The truth hurts.   She's lying about a lot of things, she's dodging the troopergate investigation by refusing to testify after she said she would.  

The more people learn about her, the more they realize she's hot, but she's a religious nutbag who isn't experienced enough to run the most powerful nation on earth.

BS...everything has been released (legal) and she's been exhonerated. The only people that are making shit up about it is the left. In case you haven't noticed, the media has backed off of Palin because they know they had nothing on her and created the propaganda. The left are TOTALLY afraid of her and McCain, if they were not, this smear campaign wouldn't have been half as bad as they made it. BTW, she made Charlie Gibson look like a total ASS which is another reason why they backed off of her this week!! She's owning the liberal media and now they really have no where to go.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
BS...everything has been released (legal) and she's been exhonerated. The only people that are making shit up about it is the left. In case you haven't noticed, the media has backed off of Palin because they know they had nothing on her and created the propaganda. The left are TOTALLY afraid of her and McCain, if they were not, this smear campaign wouldn't have been half as bad as they made it. BTW, she made Charlie Gibson look like a total ASS which is another reason why they backed off of her this week!! She's owning the liberal media and now they really have no where to go.

But then a funny thing happened: Palin lost some of her luster. Since Sept. 13, Palin's unfavorables have climbed from 30 percent to 36 percent. Meanwhile, her favorables have slipped from 52 percent to 48 percent. That's a three-day net swing of -10 points, and it leaves her in the Sept. 15 Diageo/Hotline tracking poll tied for the smallest favorability split (+12) of any of the Final Four. Over the course of a single weekend, in other words, Palin went from being the most popular White House hopeful to the least.

What happened? I'd argue that Palin's considerable novelty is starting to wear off. In part it's the result of a steady stream of unhelpful stories: her unfamiliarity with the Bush Doctrine during last Thursday's interview with Charles Gibson (video above); her refusal to cooperate with the Troopergate investigation; her repeated stretching of the truth on everything from earmarks to the Bridge to Nowhere to the amount of energy her state produces.
!

The Coach

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 06:17:18 PM »

Liberal source Benny? I notice you didn't list one.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »
Palin said nearly 20% of the US' energy comes form Alaska.

Our own dept of energy says Alaska only delivers 3.5% of US energy.

Joe?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »
Liberal source Benny? I notice you didn't list one.
Is Newsweek "liberal?"  ::) I know they fact check and their polling and accuracy has never been in question. 

Just for you "Coach", since you don't believe your lying eyes:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stumper/archive/2008/09/16/palin-s-favorability-ratings-begin-to-falter.aspx

!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »
Palin and Mccsame have become the new Laughing Stock.

I stole a Mccain/Palin sign yesterday and decided to re-work it a bit.

I have it sitting out front in the yard.

:)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »
haha. all the more intelligent people on this board are pretty much unanimous about who not to vote for :)

about the others, like i said McCain could have selected a chimpanzee as a running mate and all the stubborn republican fanboys like Coach would jump in line and defend the chimp's credentials haha.

musclepug

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 06:56:08 PM »
Thank God I live in Canada !!