Author Topic: Does anyone actually take supplements anymore?  (Read 13588 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Does anyone actually take supplements anymore?
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
Those life extension super omega fish oils are a fantastic bodybuilding supplement. All around body composition supplement.

And NO you wont be able to get fish oils from your diet ( Not in todays world, unless you are wealthy and dont mind spending a fortune on grass fed meat. )

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
Those life extension super omega fish oils are a fantastic bodybuilding supplement. All around body composition supplement.

Bingo. Give that man a prize.  ;D

And NO you wont be able to get fish oils from your diet ( Not in todays world, unless you are wealthy and dont mind spending a fortune on grass fed meat. )

Well you could eat lbs of fish known to be high in n-3 lipids, but you would have to eat fu*^ load to get what you need for bodycomp effects, and fish will have the mercury, PCBs, dioxins, and other chemicals best to avoid that will be removed (if they existed) from a high quality fish oil supp.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2008, 08:05:41 PM »
How about supplying a study on that? There are only a few vites that approach toxic at high doses BTW.

Have you done any testing on what they are using for fillers...That is the real problem with just taking anything on the market...

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »

2/3 of the people on here have there fish flown in twice a week from seattle at a cost of about 600 to 1000 a week in groceries...Just a friendly FYI :D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
Will, that's a good point you make about the glutathione benefits of whey.  I won't argue with you on that one.

How long have you been taking ubiquinol for and at what dose?  My old man switched over to it from standard CoQ10 and experienced some major abdominal pain.  He's back on regular CoQ10 now.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
2/3 of the people on here have there fish flown in twice a week from seattle at a cost of about 600 to 1000 a week in groceries...Just a friendly FYI :D
Its the GETBIG way of LIFE........

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »
the only thing you need to take is whey, multi-v, fish oil, and EXTRA AMINO ACIDS. ohh yea i forgot roids they help too. i agvree all the other shit is a waste of fucking money. you spend all that money for minimal gains at best, when you can get a cycle of test-e, and everything you need for about $350. i used to spend that much on all the other shit until i figured out that they suck.
J

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2008, 11:10:12 PM »
I was also a suplement slut trying every new thing that came onto the market.
I blew thousands.
A good Pre work out booster, Protein Powder and something for my joints is good enough.

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »
agreed, if i only had all that money back. man i would really be a monster now. LOL
J

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2008, 02:24:02 AM »
I was also a suplement slut trying every new thing that came onto the market.
I blew thousands.
A good Pre work out booster, Protein Powder and something for my joints is good enough.

What would you consider a good Pre-workout booster?
What is it you take for your joints?

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »
What would you consider a good Pre-workout booster?
What is it you take for your joints?
I take a sup called "Athrogaurd" with Glucosamine Sulphate, Protease Enzymes and MSM.
It takes a week or two to work but it does, I started this when I was still doing judo.
I use a local Prework out booster by a firm Muscle Science called XPOLDE, it is very high in Stimulants  ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2008, 03:15:06 AM »
I spend close to $1000 a month on supps...
No doubt about it...

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2008, 05:35:38 AM »
Have you done any testing on what they are using for fillers...That is the real problem with just taking anything on the market...

Supply your source for fillers being the "real problem"  ::)

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2008, 05:38:44 AM »
Will, that's a good point you make about the glutathione benefits of whey.  I won't argue with you on that one.

How long have you been taking ubiquinol for and at what dose?  My old man switched over to it from standard CoQ10 and experienced some major abdominal pain.  He's back on regular CoQ10 now.

I have not heard of any stomach issues from ubiquinol form. It may have been un related. Did he use LEF brand? He should try that brand and see if he experiences the same issues. I bet he does not. I take 400mg spread over the day.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
the only thing you need to take is whey, multi-v, fish oil, and EXTRA AMINO ACIDS.

You don't "need" anything but food and water. People have been building great bodies without any supplements since humans walked on two legs, which is why I am such a big proponent of a good nutrition plan and exercise, vs looking or the latest greatest wiz bang supplement…I have no doubt, having seen it before, that given the right genetics (by far the greatest influence here), diet, and exercise plan, one can build a solid physique

Extra aminos? If you are eating plenty of protein and whey (which is high in BCAAs), you don't need extra aminos. That's you wasting $$$.

ohh yea i forgot roids they help too.

Good old Vitamin S... :o

i agvree all the other shit is a waste of fucking money. you spend all that money for minimal gains at best,

You’re making an assumption from the start that physique development is the end goal, which is not always true. Most of the supplements I use are health/disease prevention/longevity related, and all the supplements I use have health related overlap, even if they are associated with physique development. For example, whey and creatine are both associated with “muscle building” when in fact I have always said their potential health effects are far greater than their physique altering uses. Read my articles on either to see why.

It’s also perplexing to my why there is an attitude of “why not just have a good diet vs. using supplements” as if the two were some how mutually exclusive. “Why not do both?” is always my response.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2008, 06:59:01 AM »
I have not heard of any stomach issues from ubiquinol form. It may have been un related. Did he use LEF brand? He should try that brand and see if he experiences the same issues. I bet he does not. I take 400mg spread over the day.

I don't know what his brand was but he said that ubiquinol has been the cause of gut pain in some (not all) users.  I will mention the LEF brand to him however, but I think he's decided to stick with the less absorbant traditional ubiquinone.

He suffers from fibrilation (LAF I think), and has tried such things as CoQ10, carnitine, glutathione, and a few others.  He thinks the onset of fibrilation is linked to caffeine, and I've suggested a possible link to low blood sugar after exertion or stress.  Do you have any suggestions regarding fibrilation prevention Will?

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2008, 07:09:23 AM »
I don't know what his brand was but he said that ubiquinol has been the cause of gut pain in some (not all) users.  I will mention the LEF brand to him however, but I think he's decided to stick with the less absorbant traditional ubiquinone.

He suffers from fibrilation (LAF I think), and has tried such things as CoQ10, carnitine, glutathione, and a few others.  He thinks the onset of fibrilation is linked to caffeine, and I've suggested a possible link to low blood sugar after exertion or stress.  Do you have any suggestions regarding fibrilation prevention Will?

I would look at the LEF protocol:

http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=509&query=fibrillation&hiword=FIBRILLATE%20FIBRILLATED%20FIBRILLATIONS%20FIBRILLES%20fibrillation%20

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2008, 07:11:14 AM »
Cool.  Thanks man.  :)

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
Just read Franco's bodybuilding nutrition book. excellent.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2008, 10:03:25 AM »
Just read Franco's bodybuilding nutrition book. excellent.

hi franco.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
I take a sup called "Athrogaurd" with Glucosamine Sulphate, Protease Enzymes and MSM.
It takes a week or two to work but it does, I started this when I was still doing judo.
I use a local Prework out booster by a firm Muscle Science called XPOLDE, it is very high in Stimulants  ;D

Yes but would "XPLODE" withstand an emperical experiment where you would try to do the same bulk with and without it?

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2008, 02:10:44 PM »
Yes but would "XPLODE" withstand an emperical experiment where you would try to do the same bulk with and without it?

Yes it would, but you are asking the wrong questions. Wrong questions = wrong answers. The reason it would is because it contains creatine monohydrate (CM). The data or "empirical" studies as you say, have shown creatine monohydrate more effective than placebo in gaining strength and LBM. So, you have to actually look at what's in a product to ask such a question. The product claims 7,200 mg, in its  "Strength & Cell Volumising*, Anabolic Matrix" and what % is CM is unclear. There are other compounds in the formula that may be helpful,such as caffeine for energy, etc,  but have either less data to support their use, and or it' unclear what the doses are. See:

http://www.musclescience.co.za/products/xplode.htm

So, the correct question would be: "would using this formula be more effective than using an equal dose of CM vs. placebo for increasing LBM and strength?" The answer to that is unknown as the two have not been studied head to head, but the other compounds may have additive effects above the CM alone, though using CM alone is far less $$$$. 

* = One would think they would spell that volumizing.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »
Yes it would, but you are asking the wrong questions. Wrong questions = wrong answers. The reason it would is because it contains creatine monohydrate (CM). The data or "empirical" studies as you say, have shown creatine monohydrate more effective than placebo in gaining strength and LBM. So, you have to actually look at what's in a product to ask such a question. The product claims 7,200 mg, in its  "Strength & Cell Volumising*, Anabolic Matrix" and what % is CM is unclear. There are other compounds in the formula that may be helpful,such as caffeine for energy, etc,  but have either less data to support their use, and or it' unclear what the doses are. See:

http://www.musclescience.co.za/products/xplode.htm

So, the correct question would be: "would using this formula be more effective than using an equal dose of CM vs. placebo for increasing LBM and strength?" The answer to that is unknown as the two have not been studied head to head, but the other compounds may have additive effects above the CM alone, though using CM alone is far less $$$$. 

* = One would think they would spell that volumizing.

My question wasn't very precise, I agree. I made a thread which deals with such questions in more precision:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=236639.0
see "P4".

Why are there no such emperical studies (at least none published)?

CM is maybe the only supplement with any effect in bodybuilding terms, at least on some people.

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2008, 02:26:44 PM »

Why are there no such emperical studies (at least none published)?

Several reasons. One, they cost a lot of $$$$. Two, why pay for studies when you can baffle people with BS via over hyped marketing? Most supp companies don't give a rats ass if their products actually work. That's actually not a bad formula. Whether or not it's worth the $$$ or more effective than some CM and a strong cup of coffee, is another issue.... 8)

CM is maybe the only supplement with any effect in bodybuilding terms, at least on some people.

There are others, but CM clearly has the most data and best track record. You also have to define "effective." Supps may have effects on recoup, or endurance, or immunity, or oxidative stress, etc, etc, which has benefits either directly or indirectly to the goal of changing bodycomp.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »
Several reasons. One, they cost a lot of $$$$. Two, why pay for studies when you can baffle people with BS via over hyped marketing? Most supp companies don't give a rats ass if their products actually work. That's actually not a bad formula. Whether or not it's worth the $$$ or more effective than some CM and a strong cup of coffee, is another issue.... 8)

The companies know that their products don't work, I'm pretty sure of that. The big ones must make extensive tests anyway at least to make sure the products won't do any harm.

There are others, but CM clearly has the most data and best track record. You also have to define "effective." Supps may have effects on recoup, or endurance, or immunity, or oxidative stress, etc, etc, which has benefits either directly or indirectly to the goal of changing bodycomp.

For my definition of "effective", see "P1" in my thread
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=236639.0

would be interested in your input.