Author Topic: Does anyone actually take supplements anymore?  (Read 13721 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Does anyone actually take supplements anymore?
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »
Fish oil from the bottle.  Straight, no chaser.

Cooked egg white shakes and tuna shakes.  It's food, but not in the traditional sense.

Some protein powders cost as much as $160 for 3.75 lbs in Aus, so that's a "no fuckin' way" right there.
Damn, that must take alot of commitment to eat like that. Do you incorporate cheat meals, into your diet? And if so, what do you usually eat?

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »
This guy says he takes a multi and drinks some water every day...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »
oh brother. ::)

das jus how I roll.

Pretty rare with the shakes really, but I promised my self I'd push protein (from food, animal sources only) up to 200g+ every day without fail for a couple months to see the effect, so it'll probably become a regular thing soon by way of experiment.  Worst thing that can happen is I'll gain both fat and muscle.

Damn, that must take alot of commitment to eat like that. Do you incorporate cheat meals, into your diet? And if so, what do you usually eat?

Don't get the wrong idea.  I've only been having a shake after work if the day's diet was especially crap.  I'm not excessive with carb or fat intake, but I eat pastas, pancakes (sometimes with the low carb fake maple syrup, sometimes with the real 40g/serve real one) bread, potatoes, rice, cous cous, etc.  My protein sources are sometimes too expensive because I hate crap cuts of meat and I like fish (very expensive here). 

Egg whites and canned tuna are just cheap sources, so I reach for them sometimes.  I'll make them a daily thing when I find the balls to start tracking and ensuring my protein intake of 200g+ daily.  I still enjoy beer, wine, ice cream, big macs, etc, but in moderation.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:09 AM »
That's cool, I was getting the impression that you were just eating that stuff all the time. No way could I do that, I gotta have my cold beer now and then!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2008, 09:45:57 AM »
That's cool, I was getting the impression that you were just eating that stuff all the time. No way could I do that, I gotta have my cold beer now and then!

Hell no.  That just what I use to supplement a pretty normal, but mostly healthy, diet. 

I get really strict every now and then and get the carbs down to 100-150g if I'm feeling soft, but I don't usually pig out enough (and with enough frequency) to justify a hard cutting diet.  A cut usually follows on the heels of a "clean bulk" gone wrong.  It's fun setting PRs tho, and I always end up deluding myself that I'm just holding some water... until one day... there's no mistaking it's time to diet down.  :(

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
i think i'm one of the few at my gym that doesn't buy a $5 protein shake at the end of my workout

E
E

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2008, 11:18:09 AM »
i think i'm one of the few at my gym that doesn't buy a $5 protein shake at the end of my workout

E
You think a post workout shake is a total waste of time? I will grab one from time to time if I am not going straight home.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »
You think a post workout shake is a total waste of time? I will grab one from time to time if I am not going straight home.

why spend $5 on a shake when you can spend 50 cents on a can of tuna?

and no you do not need protein immediately after your workout ::)

E
E

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »

E
Thanks for the info, congrats on approaching 10k posts.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »
Thanks for the info, congrats on approaching 10k posts.

you're welcome

10 k posts isn't too bad for 4 years 8)

E
E

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
supps are almost as gay as getting your protein straight from the tap.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »

jayfromeurope

• Getbig III
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2008, 04:01:08 AM »
U don't need all that protein for build muscle. All the magazin tell u that u need a lof of protein they are just doing their buisness but trust me u don't need all that.

Just eat 4 meal or more a day and try to get all clean food but sometimes it's good to cheat to clear your mind.

Try to eat one meal 1h after your workout.

Keep train hard

;)
J

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2008, 09:22:38 AM »
Me too. For the current diet I even ditched the multi-vits. I'm pretty sure that eating enough meat, fruits and veggies provides all nutrients in a much healthier form.
Not really.........Remember that it would take 4 apples today to have the equivalent nutrients of 1 apple in the 1800's.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2008, 09:25:41 AM »
Shame about the size 16s.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2008, 09:38:10 AM »
I don't take them anymore. Waste of money. However, I would like to get a gloucosamine product without breaking the bank. They seem to be rather expensive. Any recommendations? Are the one's at walmart any good?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »

E

So am I. My shakes cost about a fourth of that.

E

Exactly where is a can of tuna $0.50?

And, why not take a shake after your workout? It certainly doesn't hurt and, if you're like many folks, you'll still be hungry enough 30-45 minutes later to down a regular meal.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2008, 12:11:28 PM »
So am I. My shakes cost about a fourth of that.

Exactly where is a can of tuna $0.50?

And, why not take a shake after your workout? It certainly doesn't hurt and, if you're like many folks, you'll still be hungry enough 30-45 minutes later to down a regular meal.

Lots of guys neglect their diet and tell themselves its ok because they had a protein shake.  The problem imo is that it's not as good as food.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
My protein costs about 66 cents per 30 gram scoop. And its high quality whey isolate (60%) + l-leucine (25%) + creatine monohydrate (15%). Thats about 24 grams of protein, 8 grams of leucine, 5 grams of creatine. Perfect.  ;)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »
Lots of guys neglect their diet and tell themselves its ok because they had a protein shake.  The problem imo is that it's not as good as food.
Pre and Post workout I would argue that a whey supplement is better than whole food. Other times of the day the slow digestion rate+thermic effect+hormone response(glucagon) makes whole food better.

IMO supplements + solid diet = best.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2008, 12:27:32 PM »
Pre and Post workout I would argue that a whey supplement is better than whole food. Other times of the day the slow digestion rate+thermic effect+hormone response(glucagon) makes whole food better.

IMO supplements + solid diet = best.

I think the 'amino spike' is bs.  If you're eating a gram/lb throughout the day, you've got aminos aplenty.  Arguements for 'anabolic triggers' like leucine are similarly shaky imo.  I haven't noticed a bit of difference with any supp, including creatine and protein powder.  The only supps I've seen work are the illegal ones (I've never tried legal designer steroids because of toxicity and endocrash fears).  To be honest, I doubt that what the supp bs artists put on the label is what's in the jar half the time.

Doesn't mean they won't work for others, but they're not for me.