Author Topic: Training for balance  (Read 4149 times)

Z

• Getbig II
Training for balance
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »
Play football, just wonderin some good exercises on how to gain good balance to keep from gettin knocked around.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Training for balance
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:28:48 AM »
Give us some more info, height, weight...etc.

What position do you play?

8)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
If your in Nebraska now (by your profile) you should have football coaches and trainers coming out from behind every tree in the state to teach football basics. That's from even when the kid is still in the womb.  Nebraska is a football state...big time. Interesting question any way.

Football exercises/drills include leverage, balance, foot and lower and upper body shift positions (not unlike judo moves surprisingly) and push and pull drills. If positioned correctly, even when moving, it will be hard to be knocked around. One on one or two on should be taught hands on. Paying attention to what is going on around you, and getting ready for it, at the time of a play is of major importance. All these can apply to any position you play.

If trying to improve with lifting exercises on your own than consider walking lungs, step-ups, one legged squats, clean & jerk, snatches, etc. Standing/squat jumps, bench/table jumps, rope skipping standing on a narrow space (bench, box, etc), rope and tire drills, low beam walking, etc..  The more you practice the better you get. Good Luck.
F

Z

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »
You right about the whole nebraska and football stuff i was just wonderin exercise wise stuff that could be done i already do all the squats and cleans i was thinkin more for when running to stay on your feet kinda stuff

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
You right about the whole nebraska and football stuff i was just wonderin exercise wise stuff that could be done i already do all the squats and cleans i was thinkin more for when running to stay on your feet kinda stuff

Ok, so you said you are doing all the squat exercises, ok, fine. Now those are just the basics. Along with the power/explosive exercises, my lower body protocol usually call for one closed chain exercise, followed by unilateral open chain exercises followed up with posterior chain exercises. The first thing in any athletic program is to master sagittal plane exercises, then after 4-8 weeks (depending on development) then start to add difficulty to the unilateral movements. As an example, start using an Airex pad while doing a Bulgarian split squat. What will that do? It not only strengthen stabilizers, but almost more importantly force you to fire every muscle and stabilizer from you ankles to your upper back. Now this is where the balance comes in. You have the strength to balance, now it's time to develop your proprioception (in short, getting the muscle to relay stimuli to the brain).

To be able to take a hit from all angles requires POWER from all angels which means you have to train from all angles in all planes. make sense?

As for me...my philosophy has ALWAYS been screw position play training protocols exept when it comes to throwing positions, even in that the only thing I might change is to do very little overhead work and no straight bar and concentrate more on scap stabilizers and rotator cuff. Again why? because if you have a strong rotator cuff and weak scap stabilizers, you run a great chance of blowing out a cuff.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:23:13 AM »
No offense to the coach, but regarding balance for football:  K.I.S.S.

Good Luck.
F

The Coach

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »
All do respect.....it is simple.