Author Topic: My aching back!  (Read 6289 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
My aching back!
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:28:04 AM »
Two nights ago when I was in bed and falling asleep, out of the blue I felt a spasm in my back.  It left me with a dull pain in the lower left portion of my back that made it difficult to sleep.  I figured it would go away by morning but it didn’t.  My back was sore all day.  So sore, I decided not to go to the gym.

Well this morning it is even worse! Ouch!

I didn’t do anything I’m aware of that brought this on.  Two days ago, I was doing my typical shoulder routine in the gym and nothing felt out of the ordinary.

My friend says I should go to the gym today and just be careful, but I’m scared.  My back hurts!  I’m afraid to make any sudden movements.  Simply rolling over in bed is very painful.  Is this just what happens once you turn 40?  Will this go away by itself?  Do I need to see a doctor?  Mercy!  :'(

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: My aching back!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
I wouldn't go to the gym to lift.  Maybe the only thing I would do is walk....if that.

I think you may want to go to the doc...hopefully Coach will see this.

You could PM drkaje as he's been around lately but I'm not sure if he views this board much.

On a positive note I hurt my lower back at the gym doing deads awhile back and was in a lot of pain and very scared.  I went to a prompt care type doc and he said I'd be fine in a week.  It seemed at the time like there was no way that would be the case but he was right!

Hope you heal up quickly
R

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:21:42 AM »
I would be careful on even the cardio.

Of course I can't know for sure, but the problem may be your psoas.
If so, some forms of cardio may further aggravate it.
I speak from experience.
 >:(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. 

I skipped the gym yesterday.  Today, walked on the treadmill for nearly an hour.  No sudden movements or twisting, and I was able to do it without any noticeable pain.  The real test will be be how I sleep tonight and how I feel tomorrow morning.

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:16:49 AM »
Its called getting old.......

Im only 32 and it happens...

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:31:41 PM »
youre not getting old, shit happens. i have had this type of pain before from deadlifts. i got better after a week or so. walk, stretch, and go in a steam room if you can (does wonders).

DylanPG

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »
I have back pain, obviously, and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem:  When I do hanging leg raises, I feel something in my lower spine area pop (kinda like when you pop your fingers).  It's not painful, but I notice that it does it a lot more when I hurt my back.  I'm not sure if I should see a chiropractor, I never have and am somewhat skeptical, or potentially start doing yoga for flexibility.  Any information would help.

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:39 AM »
Two nights ago when I was in bed and falling asleep, out of the blue I felt a spasm in my back.  It left me with a dull pain in the lower left portion of my back that made it difficult to sleep.  I figured it would go away by morning but it didn’t.  My back was sore all day.  So sore, I decided not to go to the gym.

I didn’t do anything I’m aware of that brought this on.  Two days ago, I was doing my typical shoulder routine in the gym and nothing felt out of the ordinary.

My friend says I should go to the gym today and just be careful, but I’m scared.  My back hurts!  I’m afraid to make any sudden movements.  Simply rolling over in bed is very painful.  Is this just what happens once you turn 40?  Will this go away by itself?  Do I need to see a doctor?  Mercy!  :'(

ice it, 800mg ibuprofin, warm-up and stretch. Then refer to this for re-hab........(Reply #7)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=162586.0

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »

I believe you are suffering from TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome).  Basically, there is nothing wrong with your back and it's all in your head. Give this a serious read and try to be unbiased:

http://www.stjohn.org/innerpage.aspx?PageID=2480