Author Topic: how do my supplements look? overkill at all? your opinions please:  (Read 9089 times)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Re: how do my supplements look? overkill at all? your opinions please:
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »
try taking the fish oil. dont pussy foot around either, take a large amount. try to get 5 grams of dha and 5 grams of epa each day for two weeks. dont change anything else, keep it the only variable. come back in two weeks and tell me difference in bf %, total bodyweight, strength, skin tone, and mood.  :)

maybe I will.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »
a moderator that says dont take fish oil and dont take multivitamines. thats a first.
interesting.

I am not one of the pack. :) And fish oil gets rancid very quickly and rancid polynsaturated fats are one of the strongest carcdinogens known. This, added to the fact that fish oil even in non-rancid state boosts free radicals, makes fish oil a big red flag to me. As for multivatimins...take them if you want, but methinks it's a waste of money. Linus Pauling, Nobel proze winner in chemistry, ran several trials on the effects of vitamin saturation and he concluded that only vitamins C and E provide added benefits when taken in massive amounts. Go bitch to him.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »
  I am not one of the pack. :) And fish oil gets rancid very quickly and rancid polynsaturated fats are one of the strongest carcdinogens known. This, added to the fact that fish oil even in non-rancid state boosts free radicals, makes fish oil a big red flag to me. As for multivatimins...take them if you want, but methinks it's a waste of money. Linus Pauling, Nobel proze winner in chemistry, ran several trials on the effects of vitamin saturation and he concluded that only vitamins C and E provide added benefits when taken in massive amounts. Go bitch to him.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

It's very hard to take anything you say seriously. First you start off by saying fish oil and multivitamines are pretty much worthless, it's one thing to have an opinion of possible side effects, but to claim they're pretty much worthless with the numerous positive studies available is just not very serious. Then you falsly accuse a poster on here that the only reason he's positive to them is because he sells them (which he didn't)

Then you go on saying it's a "disgusting fat" (sounds more like you're a militant vegan) and you being named "suck my muscle" doesn't really help either. Can you imagine anyone serious about nutrition talking about fish oil as "disgusting" and calling himself "suck my muscle" ?? No me neither...

You claim fish oil gets rancid very quickly, well that would depend on how you handle it and you go on about the need to add vitamin E, well a lot of times fish oil are already fortified with vitamin E and other synthetic antioxidants to prevent them from turning rancid. This is sufficient to counter any free radical production that may occur as they spoil, a result of oxidation.

And let's not forget that free radicals are just POTENTIALLY harmfull, their link to disease has not yet been proven conclusively.

As for multivitamines, we're not talking about added benefits from massive amounts, we're talking about shortage of vitamines and reaching RDI.
Z

suckmymuscle

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
It's very hard to take anything you say seriously. First you start off by saying fish oil and multivitamines are pretty much worthless, it's one thing to have an opinion of possible side effects, but to claim they're pretty much worthless with the numerous positive studies available is just not very serious. Then you falsly accuse a poster on here that the only reason he's positive to them is because he sells them (which he didn't)

Then you go on saying it's a "disgusting fat" (sounds more like you're a militant vegan) and you being named "suck my muscle" doesn't really help either. Can you imagine anyone serious about nutrition talking about fish oil as "disgusting" and calling himself "suck my muscle" ?? No me neither...

You claim fish oil gets rancid very quickly, well that would depend on how you handle it and you go on about the need to add vitamin E, well a lot of times fish oil are already fortified with vitamin E and other synthetic antioxidants to prevent them from turning rancid. This is sufficient to counter any free radical production that may occur as they spoil, a result of oxidation.

And let's not forget that free radicals are just POTENTIALLY harmfull, their link to disease has not yet been proven conclusively.

As for multivitamines, we're not talking about added benefits from massive amounts, we're talking about shortage of vitamines and reaching RDI.

The pros/cons of taking fish oil don't make it worth it in my opinion. There are studies that say fish oil are great, and then there are others that say the cons far outweight the pros. There are many other sources of essential fatty acids that don't have the cons of fish oil.

As for my username, I really don't care what a board newbie with 30,000+ posts has to say about it. And there was a moderator here by the username of "usmokepole", so my username is hardly unusual. And finally, I am giving you an official warning: you are making it personal with several posters and trolling on many threads, and if you continue I will start deleting your posts and will send several posts of yours that I've archived to Ron.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
  The pros/cons of taking fish oil don't make it worth it in my opinion. There are studies that say fish oil are great, and then there are others that say the cons far outweight the pros. There are many other sources of essential fatty acids that don't have the cons of fish oil.

As for my username, I really don't care what a board newbie with 30,000+ posts has to say about it. And there was a moderator here by the username of "usmokepole", so my username is hardly unusual. And finally, I am giving you an official warning: you are making it personal with several posters and trolling on many threads, and if you continue I will start deleting your posts and will send several posts of yours that I've archived to Ron.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

You make it sound like the studies are 50/50? I challenge you to post numerous studies with the conclusion that the cons far outweight the pros - feel free to post them or link to them!
Z

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 04:49:16 PM »
what do yall think of dessicated liver tabs?
i took them for 5 years-4 w/ every meal...and then recently i just stopped...trying to cut down on money etc

any of yall take em?
w

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 06:20:07 PM »
i took them for 5 years-4 w/ every meal...and then recently i just stopped...trying to cut down on money etc

any of yall take em?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=186492.0

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=123211.0
:

suckmymuscle

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »

any of yall take em?

What is the point of taking that? It is something that containes Iron and B vitamins. Why would you take something like that if you can purchase a B vitamin supplement that will give you sveral times the concentration of B vitamins the liver tablets give you for the same price. And why would you want to take extra B vitamins anyway? They're hydrosoluble and your body simply expels what it can't use. A complete waste of money in my opinion.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »
  What is the point of taking that? It is something that containes Iron and B vitamins. Why would you take something like that if you can purchase a B vitamin supplement that will give you sveral times the concentration of B vitamins the liver tablets give you for the same price. And why would you want to take extra B vitamins anyway? They're hydrosoluble and your body simply expels what it can't use. A complete waste of money in my opinion.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

improved sleep/dream recall, morning sickness, niacin lowers LDL quite effectively, niacinamide helps with osteoarthritis, mast cell degranulation. There are alot more reasons but this is off the top of my head

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »

any of yall take em?

I take 50/day divided over two doses – Vitamin Shoppe brand.
Good source of iron, folic acid and B vitamins 1&12 (12 helps metabolize food into energy).

I use them as two of my daily “meals” – part of them, anyway.

The label reads dessicated, defatted BEEF liver.
Beef is good, as we all know the muscle building benefits it provides – protein, amino acids, etc.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »
Some good advice here.
Z

suckmymuscle

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
improved sleep/dream recall, morning sickness, niacin lowers LDL quite effectively, niacinamide helps with osteoarthritis, mast cell degranulation. There are alot more reasons but this is off the top of my head

Again, no need to take liver tablets. You will get a much higher dose of all those vitamins for the same price by just taking a B-complex. And why would you want to recall your dreams? And what is the point of taking mega doses of vitamin Bs if your body expels what it doesen't use anyway? Sure, niacin is a very special case in it's ability to raise HDL, but I don't think this applies to other B vitamins.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
  Again, no need to take liver tablets. You will get a much higher dose of all those vitamins for the same price by just taking a B-complex. And why would you want to recall your dreams? And what is the point of taking mega doses of vitamin Bs if your body expels what it doesen't use anyway? Sure, niacin is a very special case in it's ability to raise HDL, but I don't think this applies to other B vitamins.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

i beleive there was a report recently released that many americans (i forget the acutal stat) are deficient in one of the b vitamins.

Im just arguing your statement that b vitamins are worthless. Dream recall is a sign of sleep quality along with lucid dreams, SWS is more imp but dream recall has some merit.

other b vitamins have unique properties, methylfolate a form of folate has anti depressant properties, numerous forms of thiamine have a broad range of activities.

I agree that most people do not need a b vitamin over and above a good diet.

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »
why the heck would anyone be putting blended fish oil tabs in a shake when you could just swallow them... that just sounds disgusting

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 04:00:55 AM »
why the heck would anyone be putting blended fish oil tabs in a shake when you could just swallow them... that just sounds disgusting

There are a lot of assholes on this board.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
There are a lot of assholes on this board.

"1. Show common courtesy at all times. Know the difference between a difference of opinion and a personal attack. Don't engage in insults."

Behave yourself.
Z

suckmymuscle

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 05:45:08 PM »
"1. Show common courtesy at all times. Know the difference between a difference of opinion and a personal attack. Don't engage in insults."

Behave yourself.

So you have read that board rule? I was excusing your behavior on the premisse that you weren't aware of how you aren't allowed to behave here. Interesting. Maybe I should reconsider it.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2008, 02:06:46 AM »
do you mean you know of a better source of dha/epa than fish oil?
x2

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
Animal Omega...Damn Good EFA Supp. ;D

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2008, 04:08:02 AM »

Behave yourself.

Here's one of them now.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »
Animal Omega...Damn Good EFA Supp. ;D

garbage... priced at 25 bucks per 30 packets and in each packet =

Omega 3 Fatty Acid (N-3 FA) Complex 4000mg 
Flaxseed Oil  **
Salmon Oil  **
Cod Liver Oil  **
Herring Oil  **
Anchovy Oil  **
Mackerel Oil  **
Sardine Oil  **

Omega 6 Fatty Acid (N-6 FA) Complex 2500mg 
Borage Oil  **
Safflower Oil  **
Evening Primrose Oil  **
Sesamin  **

Omega Absorption Complex 200mg 
Lecithin (Soy)  **
L-Carnitine  **
Lipase Enzyme

this tells you nothing. besides the fact it includes abunch of non necessary fats, and also some fats that have negative sides.

wheres the amount of EPA/DHA ? for all we know the omega 3 could be 3900mg flax seed and then 100mg of mixed of the rest of the fats.  borage and safflower? safflower is counterproductive to what these efas are doing in regards to imflamation,  and theres no need for borage when you have evening primrose.  oral l carnitine is useless, no reason for the lecithin.

a much better efa would be two buy bulk high grade fish oil, bulk high grade evening primrose oil, and take them with every meal except pre and post workout.

the sesamin is a great fat loss fat however i am not sure you would want to use it during off season.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »
try taking the fish oil. dont pussy foot around either, take a large amount. try to get 5 grams of dha and 5 grams of epa each day for two weeks. dont change anything else, keep it the only variable. come back in two weeks and tell me difference in bf %, total bodyweight, strength, skin tone, and mood.  :)

maybe I will.

5 grams each is way overkill IMO.

Go back and read this post by Will to get a better (and realistic) understanding on how to dose fish oil.  Extreme high doses have only been shown to be therapeutic with neurological disorders (Alzheimer's, parkinsons, ADHD, schizophrenia, etc.)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=240141.0
: