Author Topic: Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim  (Read 2408 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:18:57 AM »
WASHINGTON — A University of Texas poll to be released today shows Republican presidential candidate John McCain and GOP Sen. John Cornyn leading by comfortable margins in Texas, as expected. But the statewide survey of 550 registered voters has one very surprising finding: 23 percent of Texans are convinced that Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is a Muslim.

Obama is a Christian who was embroiled in a controversy earlier this year about his two-decade membership in Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Yet just 45 percent of those polled identified the Illinois senator as a Protestant.

The Obama-is-a-Muslim confusion is caused by fallacious Internet rumors and radio talk-show gossip. McCain went so far at one of his town hall meetings to grab a microphone from a woman who claimed that Obama was an Arab.

The Texas numbers are unusual because most national polls show that just 5 to 10 percent of Americans still believe Obama is a Muslim — less than half the number of Texans who buy into the debunked theories.

The UT poll shows McCain running ahead of Obama statewide, with a 51 percent to 40 percent margin. Cornyn, a first-term Republican from San Antonio, leads Rick Noriega, a state representative from Houston, 45 percent to 36 percent. Another 14 percent of voters remain undecided in the contest.

The poll found that 89 percent of Lone Star State voters say the country's economic situation is worse than a year ago. And President Bush and Congress both get record low marks.

Just 34 percent of Texans approve of Bush's job performance — a big change for a former governor who won re-election 10 years ago with 70 percent of the vote. And Congress is even more unpopular: Just 8 percent of Texas voters approve of the work being done on Capitol Hill.

The telephone poll was conducted by the Texas Politics Project and Department of Government at The University of Texas at Austin. The poll was conducted from Oct. 15 to 22, and had a margin of error of 4.2 percentage points.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6084678.html

So many stupid people in the world.....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »
WASHINGTON — A University of Texas poll to be released today shows Republican presidential candidate John McCain and GOP Sen. John Cornyn leading by comfortable margins in Texas, as expected. But the statewide survey of 550 registered voters has one very surprising finding: 23 percent of Texans are convinced that Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is a Muslim.

Obama is a Christian who was embroiled in a controversy earlier this year about his two-decade membership in Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Yet just 45 percent of those polled identified the Illinois senator as a Protestant.

The Obama-is-a-Muslim confusion is caused by fallacious Internet rumors and radio talk-show gossip. McCain went so far at one of his town hall meetings to grab a microphone from a woman who claimed that Obama was an Arab.

The Texas numbers are unusual because most national polls show that just 5 to 10 percent of Americans still believe Obama is a Muslim — less than half the number of Texans who buy into the debunked theories.

The UT poll shows McCain running ahead of Obama statewide, with a 51 percent to 40 percent margin. Cornyn, a first-term Republican from San Antonio, leads Rick Noriega, a state representative from Houston, 45 percent to 36 percent. Another 14 percent of voters remain undecided in the contest.

The poll found that 89 percent of Lone Star State voters say the country's economic situation is worse than a year ago. And President Bush and Congress both get record low marks.

Just 34 percent of Texans approve of Bush's job performance — a big change for a former governor who won re-election 10 years ago with 70 percent of the vote. And Congress is even more unpopular: Just 8 percent of Texas voters approve of the work being done on Capitol Hill.

The telephone poll was conducted by the Texas Politics Project and Department of Government at The University of Texas at Austin. The poll was conducted from Oct. 15 to 22, and had a margin of error of 4.2 percentage points.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6084678.html

So many stupid people in the world.....

He was born a muslim.  When did he convert?  Was he baptized?  When, where, and by whom?

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »
He was born a muslim.  When did he convert?  Was he baptized?  When, where, and by whom?

You should be hit in the head for being so fucking dumb.  Religion is something learned not a Gene you are born with. How the FUCK are you "born" a religion.

Ahhh why dont you go do some research on when he got baptized.  People like you make the GOP look retarded.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »

No one is born any type of religion   ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »

His father was a muslim and by islamic law, the child is the religion of the father.  He went to a muslim school as a child in indonesia.

Do you people not know this????

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
His father was a muslim and by islamic law,

So you follow islamic law, even if obama does not?

Busted

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »
His father was a muslim and by islamic law, the child is the religion of the father.  He went to a muslim school as a child in indonesia.

Do you people not know this????

LOL... You are a dumb guy...  He met his dad when he was 10... He went to a PUBLIC School for 2 years in Indonesia..  Do you hear something once and even if it is proven false, you still believe it?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:21 AM »
So you follow islamic law, even if obama does not?

He was brought up as a muslim.  At some point he converted, it is not known when.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »
That stat changes my opinion on abortion.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »
His father was a muslim and by islamic law,

So what?

the child is the religion of the father.  

the child is what ever religion the child choses to be.   I'm a salesmen, so is my sona born salesman?    that's how stupid your assertion is.

Additionally, is Islamic law the Word of GOD?   NO. 
He went to a muslim school as a child in indonesia.

So what?  i went to catholic school and i'm NOT a catholic.

People's beliefs are not preordain by birth.  

that's just fvcking stupid

Get some common sense and pull your head out of the middle ages.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »
LOL... You are a dumb ####...  He met his dad when he was 10... He went to a PUBLIC School for 2 years in Indonesia..  Do you hear something once and even if it is proven false, you still believe it?

He's like one of the 23% of texans who believe he's muslim by birth and islamic law.  What do you expect?   ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
let's hope those 23% are too dumb or to drunk to make it to the polls.

They would be the perfect demographic to call and tell them that election day was moved to Wednesday .....oh wait, that's a Republican thing

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 11:30:44 AM »

I disagree.  Take a Catholic family.  They baptize babies in the Catholic church.  They have Catholic elementary and high schools.  A person who is baptized as a baby, attends mass every week, and attends Catholic school is essentially "born" Catholic. 

Also, kids typically don't choose their own religion.  They are generally whatever religion their parents are and that starts from birth for most "religious" kids.  They're in Sunday School at around age 2, sometimes younger. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »
Polls find that the only things that come from Texas are steers and queers, and Obama doesn't very much look like a steer.....

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »
I disagree.  Take a Catholic family.  They baptize babies in the Catholic church.  They have Catholic elementary and high schools.  A person who is baptized as a baby, attends mass every week, and attends Catholic school is essentially "born" Catholic. 

Also, kids typically don't choose their own religion.  They are generally whatever religion their parents are and that starts from birth for most "religious" kids.  They're in Sunday School at around age 2, sometimes younger. 

CCD starts around school age, usually first grade right before first communion

confirmation is around 8th grade (though sometimes earlier)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »

Additionally, is Islamic law the Word of GOD?   NO. 

Tell that to the Muslims who would love to blow you up or cut your head off.  ;)

Obama should be executed under the Koran. You can't go and "un-Islam" yourself. Allah don't play that game!

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!! ALLAHU AKBARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 11:50:51 AM »
I think he's considered an apostate by some sects.....ask some shitbag from the Taliban and I think they'd consider him a former muslim shitbag....I think he's an opportunist and would worship Barney the purple dinosaur if it would get him elected. His former, neverwas, might be...religion is not really an issue to me.....its his politics man, politics...that drive me nuts.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
The girl who cuts my hair is Muslim and she usually uses a straight razor to shave my hairy Italian neck

I guess I've cheated death ~ 200 times in the last few years

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »

You aren't born anything.  does a baby accept Christ as his/her savior?   no.    What you are describing is a person being raised catholic.   Was Obama raised Muslim?  If so, how long and how intensely was he raised muslim?  Did his parents practice Islam fully and to the law?   Did he continue to practice Islam after he passed the age of accountability?

That's Why the assertion that Obama was born a muslim is absurd beyond measure.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
Tell that to the Muslims who would love to blow you up or cut your head off.  ;)

Obama should be executed under the Koran. You can't go and "un-Islam" yourself. Allah don't play that game!

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!! ALLAHU AKBARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not understanding my point.   33333 said by Islamic law he was born a muslim.  Islam is NOt the Word of God.  therefore he was not born a muslim.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
You should be hit in the head for being so fucking dumb.  Religion is something learned not a Gene you are born with. How the FUCK are you "born" a religion.

Ahhh why dont you go do some research on when he got baptized.  People like you make the GOP look retarded.
lmao

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »
You aren't born anything.  does a baby accept Christ as his/her savior?   no.    What you are describing is a person being raised catholic.   Was Obama raised Muslim?  If so, how long and how intensely was he raised muslim?  Did his parents practice Islam fully and to the law?   Did he continue to practice Islam after he passed the age of accountability?

That's Why the assertion that Obama was born a muslim is absurd beyond measure.

I'm not talking about Obama.  I don't know or care what his religion was at birth, etc.  I'm just addressing your contention that a person isn't "born" a certain religion.  This might be splitting hairs, but what I described is essentially a person being "born" a certain religion.  When a person is indoctrinated from the time they are able to sit upright and often before they can even talk, that's effectively being a certain religion since birth.

For example, my oldest kid could pray before she could talk.  So, yes she was trained, but she was trained since birth.  It really is a distinction without a difference IMO.   

Busted

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 12:11:23 PM »

And when that child hits the age of reason, they leave the Catholic church. So all that was pointless...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »
I'm not talking about Obama.  I don't know or care what his religion was at birth, etc.  I'm just addressing your contention that a person isn't "born" a certain religion.  This might be splitting hairs, but what I described is essentially a person being "born" a certain religion.  When a person is indoctrinated from the time they are able to sit upright and often before they can even talk, that's effectively being a certain religion since birth.

For example, my oldest kid could pray before she could talk.  So, yes she trained, but she was trained since birth.  It really is a distinction without a difference IMO.   

how the hell do you pray before you can talk?

how do you even know what it means to pray?

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
Firstly, who cares what someone is.

Secondly. good to see the electorate is so educated and informed.