Author Topic: Torn Knee Cartlidge  (Read 3687 times)

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Torn Knee Cartlidge
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:12:38 AM »

I have torn my cartlidge playing rugby and i cant bend my leg and need an operation to fix.

Just wondering if anybody has done this before, and if so, can you squat / leg press ok after the op and rehabilitation?

Griffith

• Getbig V
Re: Torn Knee Cartlidge
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »
I had some cartilage removed from my knee in 2002.
I had an arthroscopy done on it, it just leaves 3 little marks which you can barely see.

I started training last year and was leg-pressing 385 kg's for reps with a good range of motion at 90 degrees.
I've since changed to squatting instead (less hassle with the plates) and go as low down as I can and so far have no problems.
I could do any sport now, even martial arts if I wanted to. But I wouldn't recommend long-distance running....sprints or hill-sprints are fine though in my experience.

There's no pain at the moment, though it does feel a bit 'different' like there's a small amount of pressure if I really push it, but it hasn't given me any problems.

But it takes a few months to heal properly but I was able to walk fine just after a few weeks.
I also used lots of MSM and glucosamine which do make a difference.

For a while there was some scar tissue so it would swell up a bit if I pushed it, but eventually this goes away. I think the excess tissue just gets ground down. It's important just to take your time with the rehab exercises though and gradually build up.