Author Topic: My solution for the auto companies.................  (Read 5787 times)

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: My solution for the auto companies.................
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
I only drive Euro cars and jap trucks.

Been burned by poor quality too many times with american autos, and the companies won't back anything up.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 10:32:52 AM »
Jason, I know the individual it happened to.  He works for Chrysler and is a good friend.  He was laid off for 3-4 months and received near full pay because of union benefits.  He told me but I can't remember, either 80 or 90% of full pay.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
Jason, I know the individual it happened to.  He works for Chrystler and is a good friend.  He was laid off for 3-4 months and received near full pay because of union benefits.  He told me but I can't remember, either 80 or 90% of full pay.

Yes, and always note what is really going on when GM or Ford 'lays off' 5 thousand workers. Read the fine print, and see that those workers are getting paid to do nothing.

the US auto manufacturers are so scared to front the government-backed union shills on anything, the only way they are willing to save any money is to cease production, and related (non-union) costs.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
So, it seems nearly everyone is familiar with the union abuses these days, why is nothing done?
Perhaps forcing them into bankrupcy will allow a restructuring?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »
Dave is fucking spot on here! Why should these idiots with GEDs be paid fucking $25/hour to install fucking car parts? They're not professionals and they are demanding more than what the market can bear to pay them.

In contrast, people whine about CEOs more so than these union workers. Do the math, think reasonably, and you'll see that the average CEO probably deserves to paid whatever they're getting, while the average GM and Ford line worker does not.

Having to pay these workers ridiculous sums is largely why GM and Ford can't compete with Nissan, Toyota and Honda. 

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
Dave is fucking spot on here! Why should these idiots with GEDs be paid fucking $25/hour to install fucking car parts? They're not professionals and they are demanding more than what the market can bear to pay them.

In contrast, people whine about CEOs more so than these union workers. Do the math, think reasonably, and you'll see that the average CEO probably deserves to paid whatever they're getting, while the average GM and Ford line worker does not.

Having to pay these workers ridiculous sums is largely why GM and Ford can't compete with Nissan, Toyota and Honda. 

I would say that a company that has burned through nearly 8 billion in cash and qosted 3Q losses f 2 billion dont need tobe rewarding CEOs. These losses happen at the corporate level. Just my .02

Jason

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
The multi-trillion (yes trillion w/ a T) dollar civil service work force destroyed America. Comedy.
a

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »
Number one reason for all this crap is the damn salaries! Fucking people barely get out of highschool and are handed a salary 5x more what they are worth.. they decided to start a lifestyle based on this inflated and very UN-RELIABLE income, get in way over their heads thinking they are actually successful.. then the plant closes and..

THEY GET A REALITY CHECK!

GM did 180 BILLION in revenue in 2007. So, it's not as though they aren't selling any cars. The problem can only be that expenses are too high.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008, 12:15:40 PM »
Well, there needs to be restructuring on multiple levels then.  The point is that the US auto industry needs to be re-tooled in order to compete.  When our line workers make $80,000 per yr and China's workers make a couple hundred per week with less vacation, no forced paid layoffs and other additional costs, we can't compete.  Yes, I am all for limiting CEO benefits and salaries, but that must be done by the board of directors.  I say link a portion of CEO compensation to company profits...so if the company is failing, the CEO doesn't get paid as much.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »
Volkswagen is currently building a plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Mercedes is building another in Alabama.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
I personally think that they should be compinsated fairly for their work. However, as I've said over & over unskilled labor should not be making twice as much as a teacher.

seriously now that's not how the world works. you get what you can get. If you ask for 90k and get it good for you. I know at my job I'm not saying "well the work I do really is worth this much. I'll ask for a pay cut".
$

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 12:33:14 PM »
seriously now that's not how the world works. you get what you can get. If you ask for 90k and get it good for you. I know at my job I'm not saying "well the work I do really is worth this much. I'll ask for a pay cut".

That's because your company is obligated to pay minimum wage.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 12:52:28 PM »
American Cars "besides Cadillacs"  are shit..... name one automobile that is produce here that you can say its the best in the world in its class  ???
exactly.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »
Volkswagen is currently building a plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Mercedes is building another in Alabama.
yes but where does the money go to? the profits go back to germany.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »
Fuck buying American lol

You are a fool if you buy something based on patriotism. Hell, none of that matters now.

Look at some of the Japanese cars like Lexus, Infiniti, wayyyy better than Cadillac. Lexus is probably the most reliable and best bang for your buck luxury car brand out there, probably more so than BMW and Mercedes.

Plus Jap car makers make good trucks too. Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra are damn good and reliable trucks.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2008, 01:10:05 PM »
Fuck buying American lol

You are a fool if you buy something based on patriotism. Hell, none of that matters now.

Look at some of the Japanese cars like Lexus, Infiniti, wayyyy better than Cadillac. Lexus is probably the most reliable and best bang for your buck luxury car brand out there, probably more so than BMW and Mercedes.

Plus Jap car makers make good trucks too. Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra are damn good and reliable trucks.
exactly.

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »
I have to agre with you.Why spend $50,000 on an American car when you could buy a BWM, or a Mercedes for the same money, with better engineering?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
I have to agre with you.Why spend $50,000 on an American car when you could buy a BWM, or a Mercedes for the same money, with better engineering?
why even spend 50K in the first place, cars are THE DUMBEST thing to spend big money on, the damn thing decreases in value by 3K the second you drive it off the lot.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
I dont own a car and love it, most cars are ugly pieces of shit, and if I have to see one more little shit silver logo on the back of a car I am gonna puck, ...IF i owned a car the first thing I would do is take off all the stupid silver medallion crap that they put all over the car, the logo, the manufacturer, all that shit...if I own it then I want all those names off it!.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
I dont own a car and love it, most cars are ugly pieces of shit, and if I have to see one more little shit silver logo on the back of a car I am gonna puck, ...IF i owned a car the first thing I would do is take off all the stupid silver medallion crap that they put all over the car, the logo, the manufacturer, all that shit...if I own it then I want all those names off it!.
cars are a fuccking money pit, gas, insurance, repairs, tickets, oil changes, etc., you're better off taking public transportation.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »
True, lol at these guys who buy a NEW car every 5 years, the thing literally decreases 50% in value. Epic self ownage.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2008, 01:19:29 PM »
True, lol at these guys who buy a NEW car every 5 years, the thing literally decreases 50% in value. Epic self ownage.
fuccking morons caught up in the "bling bling" lifestyle. ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »
Unions killed the domestic car companies.  There was a Ford transmission plant where I grew up. There were guys there making $80,000 a year, working 7.5 hour shifts with 4 weeks paid vacation a year. Tough to make a profit doing business like that.
the whole idea of a union is to force non-profitable corps to become more competitive or if that is not possible, help the laborers with funding while the old business is closing and they are getting a new job.
With wealthy and wellorganised  unions, there is no need to fight layoffs.
The unions will also drive up the wages, making low tech industries obsolete and making the nation more targeted on high tech industry.
In a free market, unions and the employer organisations, not the government, should negotiate the wages and employment terms.
As empty as paradise

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
During the Industrial Revolution, the English Parliament banned guilds(unions) to encourage more open competition. America is facing the crisis should do the very same.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
While some Unions have refused to change and hindered progress in recent times, dont forget that child labor laws, weekends, paid vacations, health insurance, equal pay for woman and minorities, workers safety, pay grade scales, pension funds, 401k, social security and paid maternity all exist because Unions fought and won them.

There is nothing wrong with making money but it shouldn't be the sole motivation for living.  Taking care of people, people in your community and country is also part of being a decent human being on this planet.
  Take a look back at life in America before Unions came in and you'll see it wasn't a great place to be if you weren't wealthy.  Unchecked greed and unregulated capitalism is what led us into the great depression.  Unions and oversight are what won us WW2 and made us the greatest country in the world afterwords.

My belief is that if you are a smart business owner there won't be a need for unions because you'll take care of your people on your own.

Are some Unions corrupt = yes
Should Union laws be reevaluated = yes

But don't forget that businesses are granted an incorporation status because 'We the People' allow them to business on American soil.  Thats the law and it gives the people the right to decide how we let those companies do business.

There's a 'give an take' but trust me, overall...you dont want to live in a world without Union protection.