Author Topic: My ongoing views on diet and nutrition  (Read 9360 times)

simon

• Getbig III
Re: My ongoing views on diet and nutrition
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 12:41:50 PM »
jim...........where does tequila and chicken wings fit into this? ;)

turnerg31

• Getbig III
  • Take that Bitches!
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 02:15:03 PM »
Nice post. Very informative and to the point.  I for one can really use the info. I don't compete but I like to lean up during certain times of the year and am very interested in different theories on how to lean up without dropping to much mass.  Thanks for the info and I'll be on the lookout for more.

Pat

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 11:17:48 AM »
jim...........where does tequila and chicken wings fit into this? ;)

:o  Hmmmm I just got that.  >:(  The answer obviously is that they don't.  ;D

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »
I know I posted this in another thread, but regarding Palumbo's approach and yours....do you share his thoughts as far as zero carb, or do you prefer to allow some during the day.  He also only advocates ONE cheat meal whereas you advocate a day (or at most 2 - 3 meals?).

WH33L3R

• Getbig I
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
thats a awesome article

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »
I know I posted this in another thread, but regarding Palumbo's approach and yours....do you share his thoughts as far as zero carb, or do you prefer to allow some during the day.  He also only advocates ONE cheat meal whereas you advocate a day (or at most 2 - 3 meals?).

Pretty much zero except some trace amounts here and there. Yes a total cheat day.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »
Pretty much zero except some trace amounts here and there. Yes a total cheat day.
you care about carbs in eggs, nuts, veggies, ect ect ?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 09:42:54 PM »

We are all very curious on your training thoughts Jim (from the other thread).  Oh, and regarding the trace amounts...is that off season as well?  

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »
We are all very curious on your training thoughts Jim (from the other thread).  Oh, and regarding the trace amounts...is that off season as well?  
how you going to grow if your worrying about 'trace carbs' ?? lmao

BatistaSL

• Getbig II
  • Whatever doesn't kill me, Makes me Stronger!
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 01:00:20 AM »
Nice post. Very informative and to the point.  I for one can really use the info. I don't compete but I like to lean up during certain times of the year and am very interested in different theories on how to lean up without dropping to much mass.  Thanks for the info and I'll be on the lookout for more.

Pat

I guess that's summer time..hi hi ;D

I'm a little new here, but noticed every time "Disgusted" talks, there is something to learn. :)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 07:15:40 AM »
how you going to grow if your worrying about 'trace carbs' ?? lmao

Let me guess.....you're a permabulker?

Its all about learning....you might want to consider it.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 07:43:28 AM »
Just curious,if you were working with a drug free athlete (do you ever do that?), would you still have him go that low on carbs. Seems like naturals go flatter much easier than someone who is on a good dose of androgens. I know I have trouble getting a pump and I get a very flat deflated look to my muscles on low carbs (50 grams or less.) About 100 grams a day seems to work pretty good for me when leaning out. Any suggestions?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
Just curious,if you were working with a drug free athlete (do you ever do that?), would you still have him go that low on carbs. Seems like naturals go flatter much easier than someone who is on a good dose of androgens. I know I have trouble getting a pump and I get a very flat deflated look to my muscles on low carbs (50 grams or less.) About 100 grams a day seems to work pretty good for me when leaning out. Any suggestions?

I think Jim said in his other thread that he does recommend it for naturals.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »
I think Jim said in his other thread that he does recommend it for naturals.
Thanks.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »

I think the keto diet/palumbo recommends 2 full days with lots of carbs, but only 1 meal can be whatever you want. So it's not only 1 carb meal a weak.
tank u jesus

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »
Makes no difference if you are natural or not. Cheat days is all day for one day, been doing it this way for over 15 years. I first stating playing around with zero carb back around 1982 in high school while I was gettin ready for my first show.

Off season just add carbs, but never too many that you get fat. Pretty simple.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
Makes no difference if you are natural or not. Cheat days is all day for one day, been doing it this way for over 15 years. I first stating playing around with zero carb back around 1982 in high school while I was gettin ready for my first show.

Off season just add carbs, but never too many that you get fat. Pretty simple.

What is a good or general bodyfat percentage you feel naturals to stay at off season?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
What is a good or general bodyfat percentage you feel naturals to stay at off season?

Hard to say since BF levels are measured against lean tissue so one person will measure at a lower percentage with the same amount of fat but at a higher amount of muscle. Go by the mirror and don't lie to yourself, visible abs is usually a good reference point.

Alex23

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
The part I don't get Disgusted is that you don't carb up your "athletes" the days before a show...

How can you achieve fullness without carbs  ???

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
The part I don't get Disgusted is that you don't carb up your "athletes" the days before a show...

I'll answer that in a little more detail when I get time but let me ask you this, why would carbs make you full?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »

I dont think jim ever said he doesnt carb up his guys, jims guys eat carbs and ALOT of them..... Just not everyday!! And its not your traditional carb up either

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Jim how much do you typically charge for contest prep?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 01:23:26 PM »
Jim how much do you typically charge for contest prep?

he charged me ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »
Hard to say since BF levels are measured against lean tissue so one person will measure at a lower percentage with the same amount of fat but at a higher amount of muscle. Go by the mirror and don't lie to yourself, visible abs is usually a good reference point.

So, what are your thoughs on the way Lyle felt a workout should be like when doing keto-style dieting (get back into ketosis as fast as possible via heavy workouts on the frist 2 - 3 days of week) then a 'depletion' workout prior to starting carb up?  On a personal note, I really liked the first two workouts of the week after my carb-ups....but never really felt that 'dragging ass' type of feel toward end of week.  Also, I felt the 'depletion' workouts were a pain in the ass and werent anything that would help me grow.

Alex23

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »

I'll answer that in a little more detail when I get time but let me ask you this, why would carbs make you full?

Glycogen storage in the muscle tissues.

Deplete and deplete the body then he overcompensates. Isn't it how the body works?