Author Topic: Any teachers out there?  (Read 17542 times)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Any teachers out there?
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:18 PM »
I am considering doing teaching...can anyone recommend it. I really dont have a clue what on earth i am going to do for a career. Application does not have to be in until November but i have applied for jobs in the meantime, maybe i will like them and stick at it...maybe not. Always thought about teaching as a career i could enjoy and be interested in.

I wish i knew what to do with my life lol

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Re: Any teachers out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
do you have a degree already or will you be doing the 4 year uni course ?
175lbs by 31st July

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
Have a Law degree form Queens University Belfast.

Hated that course so fucking much but stuck it out. Want nothing to do with it. So ill be doing a P.G.C.E. Was thinking of teaching maybe English, History or Religion. maybe a combination

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
I taught for almost 7 years and burned out and returned to school.  Teaching requires you have a great deal of patience.  No matter how good you get at it, you're locked into the same pay scale as everyone else.

If you LOVE it, do it.  If you're looking for a place to 'find yourself', get a business degree.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »
Have a Law degree form Queens University Belfast.

Hated that course so fucking much but stuck it out. Want nothing to do with it. So ill be doing a P.G.C.E. Was thinking of teaching maybe English, History or Religion. maybe a combination

definately do secondary teaching and stick to one subject. i just finished the pgde in primary teaching - hardest thing ever, it was like doing 4 degrees in 1 year.

i love working with the younger kids, but you have no free time. secondary is definately easier.
175lbs by 31st July

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
I was thinking of secondary and just doing Religion or History.

I am not qualified and dont meet the entry requirements for primary school teaching anyway.

I understand what you mean about pay scale. I dont wanna get a job and stay the same pay scale forever i would love to progress in some way. I have a bit of ambition that way.

I am at a loss and have no idea what to do lol...I wish i was one of those people who from day 1 knew eactly what they wanted to do for a living.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:10:19 PM »

I am not qualified and dont meet the entry requirements for primary school teaching anyway.

I understand what you mean about pay scale. I dont wanna get a job and stay the same pay scale forever i would love to progress in some way. I have a bit of ambition that way.

I am at a loss and have no idea what to do lol...I wish i was one of those people who from day 1 knew eactly what they wanted to do for a living.

£42k and rising each year is hardly bad  ???

you can always get accredited too and it jumps up another 10k, or you can go into management and become a head £75k+  8)
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »

i think i would have liked to do religion, history, or p.e.
175lbs by 31st July

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »
You may be qualified to teach Religion since it is all made up and fictitious as it is.  If you do decide to teach Religion, please make aware to your students that it is not based at all in reality or fact.

Make sure you inform them that faith is belief contrary to evidence or in the absence of evidence.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
Please DO NOT teach Science or English, History or Literature as I think you need to learn a bit more in these fields.

thats an interesting point adonis,

on that note you should also never teach brain surgery as you have none  ;)
175lbs by 31st July

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »
How do you know i am not interested in English or History?

Religion like any subject can be taught. All you have to do is follow the cirriculum.

It has answers...they dont need to understand or question the answers...simply put them down in the exam and they will get a pass.

Saying all that I am a Roman Catholic and believe in it. My beliefs. I dont impose them on anyone.

No way it is 42k for starting out? Are you serious?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »

no, you start on 22k + depending on various factors, age, degree, work experience, etc.

it rises every year by 2-3k until you reach the top of the scale for a teacher - currently 42k. This rises each year due to inflation, etc

This is in scotland, i don't know what it is in n ireland.

http://www.teachinginscotland.com/
175lbs by 31st July

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »
How do you know i am not interested in English or History?

Religion like any subject can be taught. All you have to do is follow the cirriculum.

It has answers...they dont need to understand or question the answers...simply put them down in the exam and they will get a pass.

Saying all that I am a Roman Catholic and believe in it. My beliefs. I dont impose them on anyone.

That is just awful if that is how you view it, simply the rote memorization of answers in disregard to context or meaning or true application.  I am VERY FRIGHTENED that you just said, "they dont need to understand or question the answers".  You have NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER teaching.

Gore Vidal sums this type of learning the best:

What was happening to those kids?
First they’re trained to not reveal any curiosity about anything. Every important question has been answered for you. You better put the right check in the right square little box, which is no way to educate anybody. This is for — I don’t know — this is for savages on desert islands: Do you think there’s a turtle under that rock? Instead of saying let me go over and see if there’s a turtle, no — there’s bound to be a turtle, so check “turtle” and you’ll pass the course.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
sorry meant 32k is top.

42 + is for heads or if you get accredited ( a masters in teaching)
175lbs by 31st July

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:39 PM »
Become a divorce lawyer.  Represent female clients only.  Shag the hot ones, or if you don't like them throw the case so they get no vag money.

If you're feeling entrepreneurial, maybe a security business?  You probably have some contacts in that industry, know what to charge, understand the risks (physical and legal), etc.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
That is just awful if that is how you view it, simply the rote memorization of answers in disregard to context or meaning or true application.  I am VERY FRIGHTENED that you just said, "they dont need to understand or question the answers".  You have NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER teaching.

Gore Vidal sums this type of learning the best:

What was happening to those kids?
First they’re trained to not reveal any curiosity about anything. Every important question has been answered for you. You better put the right check in the right square little box, which is no way to educate anybody. This is for — I don’t know — this is for savages on desert islands: Do you think there’s a turtle under that rock? Instead of saying let me go over and see if there’s a turtle, no — there’s bound to be a turtle, so check “turtle” and you’ll pass the course.

::) fvck off
175lbs by 31st July

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »
I am considering doing teaching...can anyone recommend it. I really dont have a clue what on earth i am going to do for a career. Application does not have to be in until November but i have applied for jobs in the meantime, maybe i will like them and stick at it...maybe not. Always thought about teaching as a career i could enjoy and be interested in.

I wish i knew what to do with my life lol

I can’t speak about primary and secondary school, but I can tell you that teaching at the university level is a wonderful career (assuming you are at a good college or university).

The pros include the intellectual life (people, library, labs, etc.), a flexible (teaching) schedule, and summer recess.

The cons include the tenure process, having to attend faculty meetings, and the low pay (compared to what one could make elsewhere).  As in most professions the people at the top do very well financially, but most faculty in the USA do not make very much money.  In fact, one could argue that as far as the pay is concerned, teaching is really a job for people who do not need to work.  I know quite a few faculty who do not live based on their salaries; they have inherited wealth or their spouses have substantial income.

If you want more info about university life, send me a private message.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 03:31:45 PM »
Goudy has no business teaching if he thinks that a student does not need to understand or question what they are learning or being taught and that all he or she needs to do is mark the correct answer.

PLEASE dissuade him from teaching anything.  This could be highly detrimental to education.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »

Careful Goudy...careful...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 03:33:24 PM »
Bodybuilder.
Z

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 03:34:04 PM »
This really angers me how Goudy views learning and teaching.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »
At least we see how Goudy has made his way through life and how he views education. Mindless memorization of rote answers without ever understanding the concept or going beyond to develop a curiosity of how and why.  As soon as the test is done, all is forgotten since there is no real connectivity or foundation (and dare I say personal value) in the brain to join the concepts let alone spotlight a meaning.

Please Goudy, do not go into teaching.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »
Say i was teaching English Literature and one of teh books was Mary Shellys Frankenstein.

They dont need to go off on a wonderful quest to see if the creature existed etc...they need an understanding of the text and contemporary knowledge.

You can view religion in this way also if you like.

As long as you know the answer, and how you came to the answer and meet the criteria then yolu pass. If i teach them that then i have done my job and done it well

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »
I can’t speak about primary and secondary school, but I can tell you that teaching at the university level is a wonderful career (assuming you are at a good college or university).

The pros include the intellectual life (people, library, labs, etc.), a flexible (teaching) schedule, and summer recess.

The cons include the tenure process, having to attend faculty meetings, and the low pay (compared to what one could make elsewhere).  As in most professions the people at the top do very well financially, but most faculty in the USA do not make very much money.  In fact, one could argue that as far as the pay is concerned, teaching is really a job for people who do not need to work.  I know quite a few faculty who do not live based on their salaries; they have inherited wealth or their spouses have substantial income.

Appreciate response mate.

Ah i get ya fatpanda...42k is nice. 22k is also decent espec for a 23 year old

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
become a gym teacher and watch the little teen girls shower you perve