Author Topic: Any teachers out there?  (Read 17555 times)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Re: Any teachers out there?
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »
At least we see how Goudy has made his way through life and how he views education. Mindless memorization of rote answers without ever understanding the concept or going beyond to develop a curiosity of how and why.  As soon as the test is done, all is forgotten since there is no real connectivity or foundation (and dare I say personal value) in the brain to join the concepts let alone spotlight a meaning.

Please Goudy, do not go into teaching.

whats your degree in  ::)
175lbs by 31st July

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
In my driving test i will be asked where the oil in under the bonnet...I dont need to know what it does or how or why...just where it is. That is all i am tested on

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
Say i was teaching English Literature and one of teh books was Mary Shellys Frankenstein.

They dont need to go off on a wonderful quest to see if the creature existed etc...they need an understanding of the text and contemporary knowledge.

You can view religion in this way also if you like.

As long as you know the answer, and how you came to the answer and meet the criteria then yolu pass. If i teach them that then i have done my job and done it well
Literature is open to broad interpretation.  Literature is an art form as any other.  Sure you can deconstruct literature or religion for that matter into neat tests with simple answers, but the importance, meaning and implication are totally lost which is not the point of education or the true point of literature and religion.  You are more suited for math if you just expect marked answers.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 03:47:06 PM »
Goudy. Teaching is one of those careers where one needs to feel a 'calling; to do so. If your only interest in doing so is a pay cheque, especially these days with ridiculous pedagogical constraints being imposed from on high, you won't last. Choose wisely.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »
Literature is open to broad interpretation.  Literature is an art form as any other.  Sure you can deconstruct literature or religion for that matter into neat tests with simple answers, but the importance, meaning and implication are totally lost which is not the point of education or the true point of literature and religion.  You are more suited for math if you just expect marked answers.

Thats really interesting and all, seriously  ::)

Sadly thats not when the students are tested on. It isnt the Dead poets society here and i am not Thomas Gradgrind either.

Appreciate comment chimps...i will indeed

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
whats your degree in  ::)
Which one?  ;)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »
Which one?  ;)

hahahahahahaha i'm talking about real degrees, not fake internet degrees or off the back of cornflake packets.

name them all  ::)
175lbs by 31st July

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
Thats really interesting and all, seriously  ::)

Sadly thats not when the students are tested on. It isnt the Dead poets society here and i am not Thomas Gradgrind either.

Appreciate comment chimps...i will indeed
Are you going to let your students know up front that they don`t really have to know anything other than marking the correct answers on the test?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »
I am considering doing teaching...can anyone recommend it. I really dont have a clue what on earth i am going to do for a career. Application does not have to be in until November but i have applied for jobs in the meantime, maybe i will like them and stick at it...maybe not. Always thought about teaching as a career i could enjoy and be interested in.

I wish i knew what to do with my life lol
obtain certification and bring it with you.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 04:02:03 PM »
hahahahahahaha i'm talking about real degrees, not fake internet degrees or off the back of cornflake packets.

name them all  ::)
Darn. I just got my All-Bran Kelloggs Crossword Puzzle Cryptology degree in the mail today with my 4 UPC points.  :-\

I don`t trust you people.  ;)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
Seriously TA what is your degree in

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
Darn. I just got my All-Bran Kelloggs Crossword Puzzle Cryptology degree in the mail today with my 4 UPC points.  :-\

I don`t trust you people.  ;)

::)

translation i have none, i'm a liar.
175lbs by 31st July

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 04:06:10 PM »
Seriously TA what is your degree in
People know my location and I am not going to let them email or harass anyone that may be connected with me in an attempt at in internet PWNING or whatever.  

With that said, Science,History and Literature if I ever finish, I will leave it at that.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
People know my location and I am not going to let them email or harass anyone that may be connected with me in an attempt at in internet PWNING or whatever.  

With that said, Science,History and Literature if I ever finish, I will leave it at that.

hahahahahahaha i'm sure you have  ::)
175lbs by 31st July

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
Are you going to let your students know up front that they don`t really have to know anything other than marking the correct answers on the test?
I've got an education degree, TA, and I gotta say that demeanour and how you handle yourself in front to students plays no small part of having a productive class and being a good/competent teacher. Now, from the tenor of postings alone - yours and Goudy's - who would you rather have in front of a group of kids?  ;) 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »
Stop bitching and get a real mans job, drive a truck or something and that goes for all of you put em muscle to real life use
Z

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
I've got an education degree, TA, and I gotta say that demeanour and how you handle yourself in front to students plays no small part of having a productive class and being a good/competent teacher. Now, from the tenor of postings alone - yours and Goudy's - who would you rather have in front of a group of kids?  ;) 
Who would you rather have teaching Politics and History, Gore Vidal or Sarah Palin?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »

why teach them the wrong answers?

Why teach someone 100 ways to do something incorrectly rather than the one way correctly.

Do electricians teach others how not to wire a house...Nope.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »
hahahahahahaha i'm sure you have  ::)
Somebody on here a few years back dug up one of my Physics professors and emailed the shit out of her. I was highly embarrassed.  I don`t plan on repeating that again.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »
Stop being a dork.

Post a fucking picture.

What did they email...you post on a bbuilding forum.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 04:13:19 PM »
Who would you rather have teaching Politics and History, Gore Vidal or Sarah Palin?
LOL. Well, I'm a big Gore fan, but knowing a bit about his 'I don't give a shit' attitude, I'd be afraid his students would come home one day and regale the parents with their teacher's predilection for rent-boys. That's not good and probably not pedagogically sound.  :D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »
why teach them the wrong answers?

Why teach someone 100 ways to do something incorrectly rather than the one way correctly.

Do electricians teach others how not to wire a house...Nope.
Installing cable and teaching Transcendentalism are not the same thing.  You have to learn that there is no one right answer and that education is always a continual process of interpretation or re-interpretation in response to new and changing evidence coupled with a shifting social zeitgeist.

If you like constants and neat simple answers, teach math.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »
Somebody on here a few years back dug up one of my Physics professors and emailed the shit out of her. I was highly embarrassed.  I don`t plan on repeating that again.

how convenient  ::)

yes i have 6 BSc's myself 3 MSc's, and 2 PHD's

I'd prove it too, but i wouldn't want a former professor to be contacted  ::)
175lbs by 31st July

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 04:14:40 PM »
If it is former and you have no contact with them simply post an old degree that you have then

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
how convenient  ::)

yes i have 6 BSc's myself 3 MSc's, and 2 PHD's

I'd prove it too, but i wouldn't want a former professor to be contacted  ::)
I wouldn`t have guessed that.  I figured you for average or so.