Author Topic: Jasons 5/3/1 Journal  (Read 9764 times)

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Jasons 5/3/1 Journal
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »
New training program, new thread. Im sure most of you are aware of Jims  3 Days a Week Manual. I am doing the 5/3/1 Method from it, but have no idea what program number it is in the book.  My 3 main lifts are Box Squat, Sumo deadlift, and bent over row. At the start of this, I am 295lbs and approximately 20% bodyfat. My goal with the program is to squat 1000lbs and Deadlift 700lbs@275 at the Ironhouse Classic in April.  Today was Week 1, Day 1.

Dynamic warmup

Foam Rolling

Sumo Deadlift
420x5
480x5
545x6

BB Shrug (strict)
135x15
225x15
315x10
365x10

Pulldown Abs
3x12

Specific Stretching for hips, hamstrings, glutes

For those of you looking for a new program, or just looking to switch up what you are doing now, I would suggest buying the book, and giving this a shot. Honestly, when I first looked at it, I thought it was too little work, and that i might become detrained from using it. However, after doing the workout, i can honestly say that it is definitely on par with what I was doing before. It is apparent now that you can get big and strong doing relatively less work. I got all of this in, along with the standard bullshitting that we do, in an hour and 15 minutes.

Jason

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Jasons 5/3/1 Journal
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
I always said "less is more!"  ;D

This looks something like what wicked is doing.

It sounds like the program is very solid. Good luck!

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »
I've seen that, and have it on my list of things to order soon.  Curious to know how it works for you in the coming months.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »
Week 1 Day 2

Bent Over Row
230x5
265x5
300x7
Idiot me was looking at the wrong page of my spreadsheet when I got the poundages, it should have been 210, 240, 275 fo rthe weights. I didnt know this until I got home and looked. It doesnt matter, i killed it anyway. ;D

CV Pulldowns
170x3x10

My back was retarded after these. Felt like I had ILS, except for real.

Face Pulls
110x3x15

Rear Delt Flyes
20x3x10

Foam Roller work

Done in 1:15 today

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »
you'll really like this man... my clients are making massive gains in a short period of time doing this type of training. We however do it 5,3,1 for the big 3.. squat, dead, and bench.

it will go either in a 4 week progression of max set of 5, next week max triple, then next week a max single with the 4th week being a deload and straight accessory work or making it a 6 week cycle and putting a deload week between each ME session if the client doesn't recover as fast or is dieting to maintain gains and ensure recovery during the calorie deficit.

I like your layout man...i think being natty you'll see your gains coem FASTER with less work just like I've noticed myself.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 06:37:51 PM »
you'll really like this man... my clients are making massive gains in a short period of time doing this type of training. We however do it 5,3,1 for the big 3.. squat, dead, and bench.

it will go either in a 4 week progression of max set of 5, next week max triple, then next week a max single with the 4th week being a deload and straight accessory work or making it a 6 week cycle and putting a deload week between each ME session if the client doesn't recover as fast or is dieting to maintain gains and ensure recovery during the calorie deficit.

I like your layout man...i think being natty you'll see your gains coem FASTER with less work just like I've noticed myself.

you dont see it yet, but we are doing THE EXACT SAME THING. program wise anyway. i however am using less than max weights to get myself stronger....thats the plan anyway. Ive got faith in Wendler, he is painfully smart.

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
Week 1 Day 3

Apparently everyone who was going to train today changed their minds, and I wasnt aware. Squatting solo today.

Foam Rolling

Static stretching

Parallel Box Squat with Mastadon Bar (60lbs)
Warmup then add briefs
470x5...not good. My briefs fit like a skirt. Looks like Im off to the tailor. I seriously need at least 1.5 and maybe 2 inches out of the hips. They were nearly worthless.
540x5...worse. Wondered HOW i was going to do the last set. Added Slayer and ammonia, then...
615x7

The ONLY good set I had on the squats today was the last one, and I had to cut it short. I think I may have been good for 1 or 2 more, but there is NO WAy I am going to put an 800 dollar bar on the floor and trash it. Either way, 7 was a solid number for the first week.

Hybrid Face Pulls/Lat Pulldowns
120x20
120x20

Green and 2 mini band pulldown abs
3x30

Kept the accessory work lighter, the squats today were HARD.

Static stretching for hips, hams, quads, glutes

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »
i know this will work for you.. call it a hunch.

like seeing your rehab/prehab stuff too like that fucking foam roller... you shove it up your snatch on those heavy flow days when you're not feeling up to putting it up big?!

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 08:42:28 PM »
i know this will work for you.. call it a hunch.

like seeing your rehab/prehab stuff too like that fucking foam roller... you shove it up your snatch on those heavy flow days when you're not feeling up to putting it up big?!

Nah, its foam. Next to no absorbency. it will block a turd though. hard part is keeping it in.

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 09:11:22 PM »
i know i'm far from your level, but i've often noticed my lighter sets feel worse than my heaviest. i think part of it is your brain says anything below your top set shouldn't feel like all-out effort so if you're working at 85% of your 5RM and it's a toughie, it fucks up your head. then when you use your top weight and it doesn't feel much heavier, suddenly you can throw it around.

i dunno, just i've noticed it myself with my meager weights.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 09:46:07 AM »
Week 2 Day 1

Foam Rolling

Dynamic Warmup

Conventional Deadlift
430x3
490x3 add belt after
550x7

Ive decided that Im DONE pulling sumo. Forever. It doesnt feel right anymore, whereas it used to feel natural. I fwelt stronger pulling this week, and felt lost last week. Conventional is the way for me to go.

Face Pulls
120x2x15

Reverse hypers
6 platesx1x20

Pulldown abs
5x15

CV Shrugs
64lb KB with 1 chain 3x15

Was feeling very good today, and did alot of accessory work as a result. Im not going to do much today (thursday) as I am going over to EFS to train on Saturday, and it always gets rediculous over there :D

Jason

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 09:49:09 AM »
Jason how the hell do you get used to the tight belt on deadlifts? every time i try to pull with a belt the damn thing gets in the way, i can't breathe correctly and it doesn't allow me to squat down deep enough at the start.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »
Jason how the hell do you get used to the tight belt on deadlifts? every time i try to pull with a belt the damn thing gets in the way, i can't breathe correctly and it doesn't allow me to squat down deep enough at the start.

I always wear my belt a notch loose, so I can really flex my abs into it. even then, it will get tight in the bottom. I dont know how some of these guys crank their belt down tight and then pull or squat.

Also, something you might want to try is, after putting your belt on, spin it around so the buckle is on the side or back. It keeps it from banging into your legs and alleviates the pressure on your thighs, which should allow you to get down to the bar easier.

Jason

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
What is a CV shrug, exactly?  I've seen the CV pulldown and CV deadlift, but google and youtube give me nothing for a CV shrug.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
I always wear my belt a notch loose, so I can really flex my abs into it. even then, it will get tight in the bottom. I dont know how some of these guys crank their belt down tight and then pull or squat.

Also, something you might want to try is, after putting your belt on, spin it around so the buckle is on the side or back. It keeps it from banging into your legs and alleviates the pressure on your thighs, which should allow you to get down to the bar easier.

Jason
yeah thast makes sense, thanks man.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »
Did bentover rows thursday, and squatted saturday at the Compound. Story and stuff to follow later.

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »
good call on the conventional bro.. go with what feels good.. and the way you pull..it's perfect for ya.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 09:52:04 PM »
What is a CV shrug, exactly?  I've seen the CV pulldown and CV deadlift, but google and youtube give me nothing for a CV shrug.

It is a shrug with a ketlebell that has chains ran through the handles.

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »
Here is what I did Thursday

Foam Roller Foreplay x1

Bent Over Row
225x3
260x3
290x11

I do the last set on these Yates style with straps due to my grip endurance issues. The other sets are done like Shelbys, parallel to the floor.

Trap Rows
3 plates x3x15

DB Shrug
115x3x10

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »
Saturday, a couple of guys from the gym and myself went over to the Compound III after an invitation from Dave Tate. I could go into detail, but Dave summed it up good Here and Here.

There is also proof for Shelby my diet is working here.

I worked up to 800x1 off of a painfully parallel box with this soft foam padthey have. It was better than my last 800, and a sub 300 pounds of bodyweight PR (290)

I also did 654 sets of pullups for 2 and a half reps. No more, no less per set.

It was a great time, I learned alot, and am looking forward to going back.

Jason

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »
routine looks tough!! but how often do you keep changing your training system?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »
Week 3 Day 1 5/3/1 week

Foam Roller Sexin x1

Conventional Deadlift
460x5
520x3
580x4
Deadlifts were solid, and this was a skinnier Jason PR

Landmine Rotations

25x3x10

Ive never done these before, but will definitely be doing them again. They were brutal, and I would say Ive got strong abs. Maybe not.

After the pulls and abs, I was done. Didnt really feel like doing anything else, so I called it a day.

Jason

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »
routine looks tough!! but how often do you keep changing your training system?

I had been diong a westside type routine for about 2 years prior to the 5/3/1. he rep ranges change every week, but the month to month setup is the same, but with different weights.

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 06:30:34 AM »

Jason

for me, if a belt is loose enough that it isn't hosing my ability to get down to the bar, it'll be too loose to really shove my stomach into. right now i'm taking a cue from a friend of mine and squatting down into position just so my fingertips touch the bar, then take my breath there. cranking my belt was a big reason i used to "grip and rip".

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
Saturday, a couple of guys from the gym and myself went over to the Compound III after an invitation from Dave Tate. I could go into detail, but Dave summed it up good Here and Here.

Links are dead in the above post.  Here's one: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=86967&tid=124

FYI, for some reason this observation from Dave made me laugh for like 10 minutes:

"1. Pegg's guys have the largest gym bags I have ever seen."