Author Topic: The homemade Milos workout drink  (Read 10992 times)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
Re: The homemade Milos workout drink
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT INSULIN ROACH? INSULIN IS LEGAL UNLIKE THE STEROIDS YOU TAKE AND THE COKE YOU ARE ADDICTED TO. ONCE YOU ARE A COKE HEAD YOU ARE ALWAYS IN REMISSION.
How do you manage so many loyal followers Coach?
I am a big baby

body88

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »
I have a new practice of mixing 5 g glutamine, 5 g creatine, 1 scoop gatorade, and a bunch of ice cold water in a cup for my workout.  I'm happy with the results so far (reduced soreness and of course the nice creatine bloat) and the extra sugar was great during leg day> I usually just drink water.

This is my ghetto version of the legendary Milos shake, which looks like this:

Pre Workout:
3-10g Creatine
3-10g Glutamine
15-20g Essential Amino Acids
15g BCAA
30-50g Vitargo or Dextrose
1tsp electrolyte drink powder

During Workout:
3-5g Creatine
3-10g Glutamine
15-20g Essential Amino Acids
15g BCAA
50g Vitargo or Dextrose

Post Workout
3-5g Creatine
3-10g Glutamine
40-50g Whey
50-75g Vitargo or Dextrose

Is it good "as is"?  Should I experiment with adding whey to it, or any of that dex?
Should protein be present in a During-workout drink?  BCAAs?  Aminos?

Why don't you just eat clean and lift your brains out?  All that bullshit is worthless for you.  You're not dedicated enough to utilize all that.  It's not a diss, it's just the truth.  Are you really training as hard as you should be, and eating as clean as you should be, or are you being a new dad with a busy life?

hairyB07

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »
Why the hell would you have both BCAA's and EAA in there?
The 3 amino's that make up BCAA's are already in EAA!  ???

Marketing gimic that's fooled many.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »
taking in aminos in that form is pretty pointless and an expensive excercise unless they are digested on an empty stomach. If you trained first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and your goal was gaining muscle without any fat and the rest of your diet was geared the same way, no problem, take them before and after, but your wasting money if you have food in your gut and yes that means 3 hours after your last meal too.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2009, 09:25:39 AM »
This will yield similar results without the huge price tax.

A gallon of milk $3.40
A dozen raw eggs $1.99

Total = $5.40 plus tax. 

Guys like Rob really crack me up.  He will focus on the most insignificant shit, and after training for years he doesn't even look like he lifts weights.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
taking in aminos in that form is pretty pointless and an expensive excercise unless they are digested on an empty stomach. If you trained first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and your goal was gaining muscle without any fat and the rest of your diet was geared the same way, no problem, take them before and after, but your wasting money if you have food in your gut and yes that means 3 hours after your last meal too.
thats not true in the slightest. certain aminos are great and have beenefits, even if you already have complete protein digestin. and certain aminos act different and have different benefits when taken alone, versus when included in a whole protein source. 

extra leucine and bcaas during the workout is beneficial, whether or not you ve already eaten beef or chicken or whatever.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »
Lift,Eat,Rest,Repeat!!

Stavios

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
Lift,Eat,Rest,Repeat!!

BFTFTSBTOMTW !!!

"Bump for the fucking truth said by the old man Tim Wescott !!!!"

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 09:39:19 AM »
YOU FORGET THE PRE WORKOUT LINE OF BLOW

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:01 AM »
quote author=Stavios link=topic=257038.msg3618750#msg3618750 date=1231522651]
BFTFTSBTOMTW !!!

"Bump for the fucking truth said by the old man Tim Wescott !!!!"
[/quote]
 ;D

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 10:33:38 AM »
Here's my experience.  As a general rule, the guys with the most complicated routines/drinks with their "hour window" etc usually hardly look like they workout at all..

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 10:37:37 AM »
Here's my experience.  As a general rule, the guys with the most complicated routines/drinks with their "hour window" etc usually hardly look like they workout at all..
thats not my experience at all, not if they actually kno what they are doing. most true experts and knowledgeabl people, look exactly like you woudl think they do, based on what the say.

now, your right tho, alot of guys have super compleicated nonsense, with a bunch of useless garbage, that doesnt do anything. aqnd they look like garbage.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
That is one giant colossal waste of money! (only thing missing from those "drinks" is the kitchen sink!)

only thing u need Rob is a good Whey protein powder (eat every 3-4 hours/good "clean" high protein/medium to low carbs/low fat foods and train like a raped ape)

save your money for your kids (or the local strip joint!)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »
Lots of idiot on this thread. During WO creatine, glucose and BCAA are unbeatable. All who are against it have never tried it. Milos shake is overkill though.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »

thats not true in the slightest. certain aminos are great and have beenefits, even if you already have complete protein digestin. and certain aminos act different and have different benefits when taken alone, versus when included in a whole protein source. 

extra leucine and bcaas during the workout is beneficial, whether or not you ve already eaten beef or chicken or whatever.

thats totally wrong candy, i had this debate with necrosis a while ago. necrosis made the same claim, i disagreed and stated that a complete protein source with the same amount of leucine would have the exact same response or better. neither won at that time due to there not being a study to back our respective claims.

however i have since found some studies that lean towards me being right ;D

Modulations of Muscle Protein Metabolism by Branched-Chain Amino Acids in Normal and Muscle-Atrophying Rats

ABSTRACT

It has been shown that BCAAs, especially leucine, regulate skeletal muscle protein metabolism. However, it remains unclear how BCAAs regulate muscle protein metabolism and lead to anabolism in vivo. We examined muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate simultaneously during BCAA infusion in muscle atrophy models as well as in normal healthy rats. Corticosterone-treated rats and hindlimb-immobilized rats were used as muscle atrophy models. Muscle protein synthesis rate and breakdown rate were measured as phenylalanine kinetics across the hindlimb. In anesthetized normal rats, BCAAs stimulated muscle protein synthesis despite low insulin concentration and did not suppress muscle protein breakdown. In corticosterone-treated rats, BCAAs failed to restore inhibited muscle protein synthesis, but reduced muscle protein breakdown. Immobilization of hindlimb increased muscle protein breakdown within a day. BCAAs did not change muscle protein metabolism, although essential amino acids (EAAs) suppressed muscle protein breakdown in hindlimb-immobilized rats. We also evaluated changes of fractional synthesis rate (FSR) of skeletal muscle protein during infusion of leucine alone or EAAs for 4 h in anesthetized normal rats. FSR showed a transient increase at 15–30 min of leucine infusion and then declined, whereas FSR stayed elevated throughout EAA infusion. We concluded that 1) BCAAs primarily stimulate muscle protein synthesis in normal rats independently of insulin; 2) EAAs are required to maintain the BCAA stimulation of muscle protein synthesis; and 3) The effects of BCAAs on muscle protein metabolism differ between atrophy models.

as for bcaa use in general   ::) a typical BCAA tablet has roughly ,50mg isoleucine, 100mg valine and 100mg leucine, while a chicken breast (100 g) has around 470mg valine, 375g isoleucine, and 656mg leucine - the same as around 7 BCAA tablets.

do not waste your money on bcaa supplementation.

also have a look at the study below that compares whey+casein/ whey+bcaa+glutamine/ and a carb drink. The bcaa mixture actually lost more muscle than the carb placebo drink  ::)

The effects of protein and amino acid supplementation on performance and training adaptations during ten weeks of resistance training.

Journal: J Strength Cond Res. 2006 Aug;20(3):643-53.

Authors: Kerksick CM, Rasmussen CJ, Lancaster SL, Magu B, Smith P, Melton C, Greenwood M, Almada AL, Earnest CP, Kreider RB.

Center for Exercise, Nutrition and Preventive Health Research, Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation, Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798, USA.

Abstract: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of whey protein supplementation on body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and anaerobic capacity during 10 weeks of resistance training. Thirty-six resistance-trained males (31.0 +/- 8.0 years, 179.1 +/- 8.0 cm, 84.0 +/- 12.9 kg, 17.8 +/- 6.6%) followed a 4 days-per-week split body part resistance training program for 10 weeks. Three groups of supplements were randomly assigned, prior to the beginning of the exercise program, in a double-blind manner to all subjects: 48 g per day (g.d(-1)) carbohydrate placebo (P), 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 8 g.d(-1) of casein (WC), or 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 3 g.d(-1) branched-chain amino acids + 5 g.d(-1) L-glutamine (WBG). At 0, 5, and 10 weeks, subjects were tested for fasting blood samples, body mass, body composition using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), 1 repetition maximum (1RM) bench and leg press, 80% 1RM maximal repetitions to fatigue for bench press and leg press, and 30-second Wingate anaerobic capacity tests. No changes (p > 0.05) were noted in all groups for energy intake, training volume, blood parameters, and anaerobic capacity. WC experienced the greatest increases in DEXA lean mass (P = 0.0 +/- 0.9; WC = 1.9 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.3 kg, p < 0.05) and DEXA fat-free mass (P = 0.1 +/- 1.0; WC = 1.8 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.2 kg, p < 0.05). Significant increases in 1RM bench press and leg press were observed in all groups after 10 weeks. In this study, the combination of whey and casein protein promoted the greatest increases in fat-free mass after 10 weeks of heavy resistance training. Athletes, coaches, and nutritionists can use these findings to increase fat-free mass and to improve body composition during resistance training.

Lots of idiot on this thread. Pre/during/post WO creatine in milk glucose and BCAA are unbeatable. All who are against it have never tried it. Milos shake is overkill though.

fixed
175lbs by 31st July

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2009, 07:46:44 PM »

Like Fatpanda says there's really no proof of them doing anything of consequence right now. Even if an individual amino is proven to turn on protein synthesis, like with leucine, it's a big stretch to say leucine supplementation causes muscle growth above and beyond that of a "good" diet. The supposed benefits are very theoretical right now.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »
thats not my experience at all, not if they actually kno what they are doing. most true experts and knowledgeabl people, look exactly like you woudl think they do, based on what the say.

now, your right tho, alot of guys have super compleicated nonsense, with a bunch of useless garbage, that doesnt do anything. aqnd they look like garbage.

HAHA no they don't.

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2009, 10:21:46 PM »

What you people are forgetting is that 20 I.U.s of Humalog were added to the pre and post workout shakes....at least via milos's advices....

This shake is probably quite effective with slin, and giant set style training...

M!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »
Like Fatpanda says there's really no proof of them doing anything of consequence right now. Even if an individual amino is proven to turn on protein synthesis, like with leucine, it's a big stretch to say leucine supplementation causes muscle growth above and beyond that of a "good" diet. The supposed benefits are very theoretical right now.
well, whats a good diet ?

its fact that extra growth occurs froom proper workout nutrition

its not a stretch at all to believe that extra leucine causes extra growth.  if you think about the digestion rates of meat proteins, and the amount of available leucine or aminos youll have at any given time with a diet based soley on meat.... then youll begin to understand why freee frorm key aminos, and fast digesting sources of protein are so benficial to muscle growth.

HAHA no they don't.
yes. fact.

What you people are forgetting is that 20 I.U.s of Humalog were added to the pre and post workout shakes....at least via milos's advices....

This shake is probably quite effective with slin, and giant set style training...

M!
why would 20iu of slin make it more effect ? if you dirnk enough dextrose on its own, you coul easily get your body to release the san amount of insulin, or more. ( cred to van bilder for realising this).

dustin

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2009, 11:28:32 PM »
These ideas work but are they practical?

I'm not opposed to some carbs and BCAAs pre and intra workout as opposed to JUST post work out... but honestly, some slin, carbs and protein timed right is going to be just as effective as having an additional two drinks pre and intra workout. That is, unless you're counting microscopic gains made by the additional shakes. I think the money is better spent on quality cuts of fresh red meat, seafood and poultry.

One thing I like about BCAAs though is that lots of them taste really good. It makes it easy to get water down, especially during morning cardio.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2009, 11:31:36 PM »
These ideas work but are they practical?

I'm not opposed to some carbs and BCAAs pre and intra workout as opposed to JUST post work out... but honestly, some slin, carbs and protein timed right is going to be just as effective as having an additional two drinks pre and intra workout. That is, unless you're counting microscopic gains made by the additional shakes. I think the money is better spent on quality cuts of fresh red meat, seafood and poultry.

One thing I like about BCAAs though is that lots of them taste really good. It makes it easy to get water down, especially during morning cardio.
i agree that its wrthless without adequate and proper nutrition the rest of the day. if one is gettin all the necessary protein and nutients , then theres no point in turning to workout nutrition just yet, spend that money on whole foods, like you said. (sole expection being whey protein pre and post workout)

dustin

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »
i agree that its wrthless without adequate and proper nutrition the rest of the day. if one is gettin all the necessary protein and nutients , then theres no point in turning to workout nutrition just yet, spend that money on whole foods, like you said. (sole expection being whey protein pre and post workout)

Yeah I take my pre and post workout nutrition pretty seriously, but it's not a nuisance as long as I prepare a few meals throughout the day. A few shakes and a carb drink post workout make meal prep a lot less of a hassle. I'm taking mofuckin' Celltech post workout (1 scoop: 5g creatine and ~37g of dextrose, yummy coloured water) with a bit of slin a couple times a week as I'm off AAS for a while. Got a snazzy BSL monitor and I'm getting leaner as I pay more attention to my blood sugar levels throughout the day. 8)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 11:41:52 PM »
well, whats a good diet ?

its fact that extra growth occurs froom proper workout nutrition

its not a stretch at all to believe that extra leucine causes extra growth.  if you think about the digestion rates of meat proteins, and the amount of available leucine or aminos youll have at any given time with a diet based soley on meat.... then youll begin to understand why freee frorm key aminos, and fast digesting sources of protein are so benficial to muscle growth.

There's no proof that fast digesting proteins cause more muscle growth than slow digesting proteins. Or lets say you take fast digesting proteins around the workout and the rest of the day slow - will it cause more growth than only eating so-called slow proteins? There's no proof of that. I admit that there's some pretty good sounding theories on why fast digesting proteins might be advantageous at certain times (such as if you're training in the morning and have obviously fasted for many hours) - but it's far from proven. Would Levrone have been bigger if he had eaten aminos and powders in place of some of that fish and meat? My guess is no.

Also you can't look at these amino studies in isolation - only looking at acute effects. Sure aminos will boost protein synthesis nicely if taken before a workout but does that mean you'll end up with more net protein synthesis at the end of the day? The body is good at balancing things out... I could compare this to the debate on HIIT cardio vs. steady state cardio. Which is more beneficial for fat loss? It seems that at the end of the day the amount of fat lost is the probably pretty similar. Looking at acute effects on substrate use doesn't tell the whole story since the body balances things out. I'm thinking you can't "force" more muscle growth by spiking with Leucine or what have you. The HMB was a bust and that compound is a leucine metabolite that also stimulates mTor that's so in the rage nowadays.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2009, 11:46:40 PM »
Would Levrone have been bigger if he had eaten aminos and powders in place of some of that fish and meat? My guess is no.

i read your whole post and youve got some good thoughts butit has bee proven. theres plenty of studies on these things.

weight trainign stimulates synthesis. amino acids- primarily leucine stimulates synthesis. insulin stimulates synthesis.  androgens stimulate synthesis.    there is no limit to the amount fo synthesisi your body will do in one day, except the rate at which it is able to synthesis. 

you make it sound like the body is only going t grow so much in one ay , and adding extra synthesis stimuli wont help speed growth. bu weight training alone doesnt stimulate synthesis to such a degree.

anyway, no i dont think levrone would have been bigger by changing his nutrition strategies. however id o think he could have gotten to that size faster by changing his workout strategies. (you asked milos the same question and gave him that option).   theres other ways he could have gotten bigger.  ;D