Author Topic: USAPL Milwaukee Open 1/30/10  (Read 42999 times)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
USAPL Milwaukee Open 1/30/10
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
I think the thing that is going to be hardest through this training is going to be staying injury free.  Over the past 4 years I have tweaked my lower back a few times and I have a tendency to push a little too hard so staying healthy is my number 1 goal.  

My bodybuilding diet will start middle of June so I have nearly 6 months to get it together, learn the 3 lifts and compete.  Over the past few weeks I have had the chance to train at 2 powerlifting gyms in my area, Frantz gym and Lance's gym.  Both were a great time but after consideration I have decided to do my training at Lance's gym because he compete in the USPF and use to compete for the USAPL so he know the rules, plus he will give me a lot of individual attention while I am at his gym and even go to meets that are relatively close to coach me there.  He is pretty bad-ass and seems like a great guy...oh and he is one big motherfer...he weighs in at 340!!!!

Lori gave me a training program which I plan on following although I am in a bit of a tough situation, my bbing training partner is doing Junior USA's in a few months here and I would feel terrible leaving her to train by herself every day.  Lori has warned against overtraining so I am trying to figure it out.  Also Lance has a couple very cool things at his gym that I will work into the program at well, if nothing else I am definitely following the guideline of the program and basics.

I started yesterday and am already hurting...last week I had PRK done to my eyes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorefractive_keratectomy so had taken off this weekend and jumped into my light squat week on Monday.  Probably started out a bit to eager after the surgery and days off because all sorts of shit is hurting today.  

From this point on I am going to try to work out at Lance's on Mondays and Saturdays...it is roughly 45 minutes no traffic so 2 hours with traffic to get there.  If I can work in another day I will but probably will be tough.
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: The Beast Powerlifting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »
Monday's Workout: Light Squats (65%)

Squats:
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5/2 sets
205 x 5/2 sets

Good Mornings
95 x 10
115 x 10/2 sets

Then they threw a new thing in for me that I loved but that absolutely KILLED me today.  Basically the gym is int he basement of a big warehouse and the floor in concrete.  They have a tire that is connected to a big chain that you connect to a lifting belt and you pull the tires (with weights inside, I started with a 35 I think).  You lunge/walk down about 40 meters forward, backward, side lunge and side crossover.  It reminded me of a track drill and it really works your hips and knees but today my hip flexors are totally screwed up.  I maybe pushed it just a bit on the first day of that kind of cross-training.

Oh I did use my new shoes which I love so far, they do help to keep your feet flat and on your heels and the guys were good to tell me when I was just slightly below parrellel so I wouldn't be training improperly.  Hopefully this week I will be ordering my squat suit and bench shirt! 
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:39 PM »
Today I lifted with Gail, my training partner.  We did arms...

Biceps:
straightbar 7's (wide, middle, close grip)
40 x 3 sets

Seated bb curls
70 x 5/4 sets

Seated incline iso-peak curls
20 x 10/3

Triceps:
Pushdowns
60 x 12/2 sets

Seated Dips
100 x 12
120 x 10
130 x 10

Rope Extensions
42.5 x 10/2 setsw
50 x 10

Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »
wheres the winstro!

ummm why do you follow me around?  obsessed??

At least I can tell how interested you are in me   ;)
Jennifer

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Re: The Beast Powerlifting Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »
good luck jen  8)
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »
Are you going to be using a max day/speed day setup then ?
175lbs by 31st July

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:44:43 AM »
ummm why do you follow me around?  obsessed??

At least I can tell how interested you are in me   ;)

to be honest just joking, dont worry about the stupid things i say

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »
Good luck! Sounds like you have a good set-up in the gym you're going to. What type of stuff does it have? Any pics of it?

Be careful with your eyes. You only get one pair! Sounds like you got back to training a bit early. How long did your doc tell you to wait?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 03:21:39 AM »

Then they threw a new thing in for me that I loved but that absolutely KILLED me today.  Basically the gym is int he basement of a big warehouse and the floor in concrete.  They have a tire that is connected to a big chain that you connect to a lifting belt and you pull the tires (with weights inside, I started with a 35 I think).  You lunge/walk down about 40 meters forward, backward, side lunge and side crossover.  It reminded me of a track drill and it really works your hips and knees but today my hip flexors are totally screwed up.  I maybe pushed it just a bit on the first day of that kind of cross-training.

Oh I did use my new shoes which I love so far, they do help to keep your feet flat and on your heels and the guys were good to tell me when I was just slightly below parrellel so I wouldn't be training improperly.  Hopefully this week I will be ordering my squat suit and bench shirt! 

That's good GPP (general physical preparedness) work... be careful with overtraining.  And don't forget to log EVERYTHING that you do for training, incl. cardio... :)

I'm glad you started a log!  You have to keep track of your numbers or else you will get lost!

:)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »
haha this should be good..  8)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »
Good luck! Sounds like you have a good set-up in the gym you're going to. What type of stuff does it have? Any pics of it?

Be careful with your eyes. You only get one pair! Sounds like you got back to training a bit early. How long did your doc tell you to wait?

thanks for the concern about my peepers!  The docs want you to take it relatively easy for a week but there is more risk with Lasik because of the suts they make.  My surgeon said once the special contacts come out (which was Monday) I should be pretty good to go so I am not pushing it too much this week but being at Lance's makes it hard to resist!!

I will try to get some pics, his website doesn't have any but so far it seems like it will have all I will need and more.  He has chains, bands, boards, and the best part really has been Lance.  It is a bit early to say because it has only been 2 days of training but he trained me again today.  He looked over the training program and I talked about wanting to powerlift 3 days (instead of 4) and do 2 other days of more bbing lifitng so we can work out the program using Lori's template.

Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 09:44:47 PM »
Today's workout was Chest...when we went over the workouts for the week I mentioned how much I wanted to train with chains so he said lets do it.  He had 20 lb chains...

Bench:
45 plus chains x 10
65 plus chains x 8
95 plus chains x 5
105 plus chains x 5
115 plus chains x 5

3 board press
135 x 3
145 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3

Pec Dec
100 x 10
110 x 10
120 x 10

After we took my measurements for my shirt and suit, Lance's friend is in Massachusettes (I think) and we willl get them ordered tomorrow.  Oh and granted I had just worked out but my biceps measured 15 inches!  For me that was very exciting, only 2 years ago they were 13ish, I am my ehaviest right now and with the pump but still, yea!!

Jennifer

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:45:36 AM »
Girl you are making me feel little and weak...  ;D... I bet you can press more than that with a 3 board.  You sore in all kinds of new places yet?
What kind of shirt/suit are you getting?  Breaking them in is when the real fun begins!!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 06:19:07 AM »
Today's workout was Chest...when we went over the workouts for the week I mentioned how much I wanted to train with chains so he said lets do it.  He had 20 lb chains...

Bench:
45 plus chains x 10
65 plus chains x 8
95 plus chains x 5
105 plus chains x 5
115 plus chains x 5

3 board press
135 x 3
145 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3

Pec Dec
100 x 10
110 x 10
120 x 10

After we took my measurements for my shirt and suit, Lance's friend is in Massachusettes (I think) and we willl get them ordered tomorrow.  Oh and granted I had just worked out but my biceps measured 15 inches!  For me that was very exciting, only 2 years ago they were 13ish, I am my ehaviest right now and with the pump but still, yea!!

sorry to doubt you ,but 15 inch arms? :-\

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »
sorry to doubt you ,but 15 inch arms? :-\

haha, I agree!!!  I didn't believe it either and still don't think it is possible...
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
Well I took the last 2 days off, my hip flexors were still sore from the squat workout and I wanted to be good for my deadlifting workout tomorrow.  I actually get to train with Lance tomorrow so I am excited because he is a big boy and it will be fun to watch him work. 

Other then that I have been looking at Rip's pics from last year getting into her shirt and not looking forward to the experience.  Doubt that I will be able to use it for my first meet which is most likely going to be in St. Louis on the 21st...

Jennifer

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Good luck at your first meet!! kick some ass! 8)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 03:04:49 AM »
Well I took the last 2 days off, my hip flexors were still sore from the squat workout and I wanted to be good for my deadlifting workout tomorrow.  I actually get to train with Lance tomorrow so I am excited because he is a big boy and it will be fun to watch him work. 

Other then that I have been looking at Rip's pics from last year getting into her shirt and not looking forward to the experience.  Doubt that I will be able to use it for my first meet which is most likely going to be in St. Louis on the 21st...

Shirts are a pain in the ass. I've never worn one myself, though I've had to get my friend into one. Let's just say it was awkward. lol. It was a real small shirt and he has pretty big lats for his size. The shirt ended up biting right through his skin on either lat  :-\

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »
Back:

Deads- I did these in my socks today for the first time...I still need to order those deadlifitn socks or find my wrestling shoes.
95 x 10
135 x 8
185 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
285 x 1

225 2 x 5

Seated row
70 x 12
100 x 10
120 x 10

Lat Pulls
75 x 10
90 x 10
105 x 10

Weighted abs 3 x 20

Overall I thought it was a decent workout...Lance narrowed my stance just a touch.  My main problem is I am not sitting back far enough on my hips at the start of my lift and the bar comes a bit away from my body at the start.  My first quarter of the lift is the most sluggish and then I am fine once I get it nearly to my knees.  Once I am set in position when I actually start the lift my knees come forward over the bar...when I try to focus on staying back on my hips and heels I lose my balance.     

Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: Goal: 350/200/315 by 3/21/09
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
OK I got my first videos today!  We benched and had a decent workout, when watching these videos I feel like I am all over the place.  Once of the guys at the gym had a size 42 Katana that he let me try out to see.  We figured it would be big (and it was) but still gave me a lot of support and helped me stay with my elbows in...plus we have a better idea of the size I will need in the Katana (we are thinking a 36 or 38)

Chest:
95 x 10
115 x 8
135 x 5
140 2x5
145 x 3

with shirt
165 x 3
170 x 1
180 x 1
190 x 1

Lock-Outs
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5

There is so much to work on as you will see but it is a start.

Jennifer

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
well that's two chicks (you and rip) that are already stronger than goatboy !

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 04:23:15 AM »
Good stuff Jenny!  Love the pants ;)

You'll have that shirt mastered in no time.   8)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:07 AM »
good lifting Jenny, props.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »
Shirts are a pain in the ass. I've never worn one myself, though I've had to get my friend into one. Let's just say it was awkward. lol. It was a real small shirt and he has pretty big lats for his size. The shirt ended up biting right through his skin on either lat  :-\

haha, I can't actually imagine getting into a tight shirt because this one was even beginnning to dig into my lats and triceps.  I thought it bbing you invade others personal space but I am learning that this is even more prevalent in powerlifting!
Jennifer

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
why not just lift raw then jen ? why the preference for shirts ?
175lbs by 31st July