Author Topic: Pros dont use protein powder  (Read 4472 times)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Pros dont use protein powder
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »
Says who?

Many of them not only take them but they consume them in HUGE quantities, the cost of which would drive most of us into bankruptcy.

I remember the “Probing the Pros” section of MuscleMag International. Each month, 12 pro bodybuilders (technically, it was 11 pros and one top amateur) would answer a question fielded by a reader, picked by Robert Kennedy.

When it came to protein consumption, many of the pros there consumed MET-Rx, the most popular MRP at that time. However, unlike the recommendation on the box, these guys were taking at least 8 packets of MET-Rx a day, IN ADDITION TO their regular meals.

Last time I checked, 8 packets of MET-Rx contained just under 300 grams of protein.

A couple of FLEX issues ago, there was an article on Eddie Abbew, who claims to have a small appetite for food. So, he actually blends his meat up and mixes it with water, in order to drink his calories. Abbew claims that his blender, "smells like @$$"; in fact, after getting a whiff of the blender in which Abbew prepares lunch, fellow pro, Darrem Charles, nearly lost his.

As for Bigbob's comment, there are a handful of posters whom MidniteRambo described as a “whole food-ist” cult, folk who think they’re more “hardcore” because they don’t use supplements at all, or at the very least, they don’t use such from certain companies (i.e. MuscleTech).

I would add to this that other posters here seem to use the steroids excuse as to why they won't implement certain often-discussed, tried-and-true nutritional strategies to help them get bigger.

Let them tell it, consuming high protein levels (say 300-400 g per day) only works for steroid users; using intra-workout drinks (with high carbs, creatine, aminos, etc) only works for steroids users, etc., etc.

Suggest that they up their protein intake, and they'll sail the seven seas, looking for examples of people with muscular people, who don't eat as much protein as some have recommended. That may indeed work for those individuals. But, if it ain't effective for those particular posters, citing such people is utterly pointless.

Many of us are quite familiar with Ronnie Coleman's mantra, "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder; but don't nobody want to lift no heavy-@$$ weight". I'd say a similar thing applies, when it comes to nutrition. Some folks don't want to eat no "heavy-@$$" food, namely the quality and QUANTITY of carbs, fat, and especially PROTEIN that they need to grow (whether they use steroids or go/stay "natty").

ANYONE can force feed, simplest thing in the world, chew up the food and chase it down with a swig of water like swallowing a big pill.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 02:08:49 PM »
The Three Times Uncrowned (at least) Mr. Olympia told me that during his competitive years he did use protein.  He did not really count calories or protein in take but said "the more protein the better."  He did slack at times and not eat much protein only when he felt sick of it, but recommended high protein for growth and especially when dieting to preserve muscle.  Now that he's retired he does not use protein powder or even really watch his protein intake either.

Nasser said he only ate around 100 grams of protein in the offseason.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
Nasser said he only ate around 100 grams of protein in the offseason.

You misunderstood whatever you read to believe that - true on the odd day here or there he only got in about 100 grams, but that was not his consistent intake!  Like I said some days he would slack as he got sick of protein easily, but generally ate lots of protein during his competitive years.  When dieting he would get in about 600 grams of protein per day.  Nowdays in retirement he consistently eats about 100 grams only.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »
Good old Metrx.  God that stuff is/was as thick as hell but good.  I bet if you knew it's exact %'s of different powders and ingredents, you could make a near clone of it on like trueprotein.com

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »
Good old Metrx.  God that stuff is/was as thick as hell but good.  I bet if you knew it's exact %'s of different powders and ingredents, you could make a near clone of it on like trueprotein.com
no i dont think one could. that was a pretty detailed ingredient list with exact amounts of key ingredients in for precise reason. metRX is as effective as sarcev describes his shakes to be...and thats effective !  ;D

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
You misunderstood whatever you read to believe that - true on the odd day here or there he only got in about 100 grams, but that was not his consistent intake!  Like I said some days he would slack as he got sick of protein easily, but generally ate lots of protein during his competitive years.  When dieting he would get in about 600 grams of protein per day.  Nowdays in retirement he consistently eats about 100 grams only.

Read the BBing.com interviews. Dieting is a different story.

TBUNZEE

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »
Wow what great info here as many getbiggers have awesome real info on the pros and their protien powder intake.....this original debate was sparked by Mobil who called me a newbie who didnt know anything because I said pro's do indeed use protien powder and he said they dont take the stuff ever except for videos and commercials...So after the official word discussed within this thread and people above and beyond your knowledge the final word is your wrong and I was right....so settle down Mobilbitch and stop acting like a know it all when your clueless bud...

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »
Read the BBing.com interviews. Dieting is a different story.

I have read them.  Like I said, he generally ate lots of in the offseason, but occasionally slacked and got little protein in some days (100 grams of protein or even less), but that was not near his consistent daily intake.  If you claim he said otherwise in any interview, please post the excerpt here.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »
Exactly - and you're absolutely correct in your earlier post about freebies.  At Nasser's place, before I ate his asshole out, I saw many drawers and cabinets literally full of unopened Weider supplements - glutamine, amino acids, you name it.  One can only use so much and it's less than what they get for free.

Very interesting BigBobs.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 03:07:37 PM »
Well, Paco uses protein powder though..

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
drinking my post shake right now..also have one before bed and sometimes in the middle of the night....cant imagine not having shakes wouldnt be able to get in the all the protein I need.....the only time i maybe cut them out is as I approach a contest.
D

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 04:04:41 PM »
drinking my post shake right now..also have one before bed and sometimes in the middle of the night....cant imagine not having shakes wouldnt be able to get in the all the protein I need.....the only time i maybe cut them out is as I approach a contest.
D

what is in your post shake?
tank u jesus

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »
what is in your post shake?
50gr from isolate...+ BCAAs

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
protein is overrated

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »
Protein powder is probably the MOST used supplement of the pro's....the simple reason is that it's tough to actually eat enough food/ enough meals to get in the amount of protein we use in our contest prep...

As for all this talk of "no regulations"....trust me, they are subject to all kinds of testing/ lableing/ etc.

what a fucking liar you are, it's mind blowing  :D

talk about being a perfect representative for bodybuilding.com online suplement store !

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 05:35:12 PM »
It is what it is, bro....no need to lie...protein powder is THEE most consumed supplement there is.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »
Wow what great info here as many getbiggers have awesome real info on the pros and their protien powder intake.....this original debate was sparked by Mobil who called me a newbie who didnt know anything because I said pro's do indeed use protien powder and he said they dont take the stuff ever except for videos and commercials...So after the official word discussed within this thread and people above and beyond your knowledge the final word is your wrong and I was right....so settle down Mobilbitch and stop acting like a know it all when your clueless bud...

all the way big, big tbunzee!

It is what it is, bro....no need to lie...protein powder is THEE most consumed supplement there is.

If i drink 1000 protein shakes, do you think i could win mr o? lol

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
yeah but by natural newcommers who believe the juiced guys they see in the ads built their muscle mass using useless powders...

well that's the point of the whole thing isnt it?

Stavios

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »
offseason pros eat everything that isn't nailed down, lots of pizza, cheeseburgers, chinese and italian.

exactly !

to follow their example, I am eating a big bowl of general tao chicken as I type this with some rice  8)

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »
Protein powder is probably the MOST used supplement of the pro's....the simple reason is that it's tough to actually eat enough food/ enough meals to get in the amount of protein we use in our contest prep...

As for all this talk of "no regulations"....trust me, they are subject to all kinds of testing/ lableing/ etc.

Truth!

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
Alot of pro builders do use protein powder.Trust me, they are on my shipping log.I cant mention any names because they are endorsed by other companies.Just ask Dante from True Protein he will tell you.I bet you Dante like me ships to atleast a dozen or so pro athletes.Pro bodybuilders mostly use Whey Protein Isolate, and Waxey Maze Starch.Thats what I have the most requests for.The more advanced and intelligent ones will add Beta Casein, Egg Protein or Milk Isolates.
90% of the times its low carb Whey Protein Isolate they want.Most of them after training use Whey Protein Isolate with Waxey Maze Starch.
If you are a 200lb man and you want a awesome recovery blend.Take 30 grams of Whey Protein Isolate,60 grams of Waxey Maze Starch, 10 grams of L-Glutamine, 5 grams of BCAA's, and 2 grams of Beta Alanine.Then pop 3 grams of Vitamin C
This will give you excellent recovery, and cover give your body everything it needs to grow aswell as recover

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »
Alot of pro builders do use protein powder.Trust me, they are on my shipping log.I cant mention any names because they are endorsed by other companies.Just ask Dante from True Protein he will tell you.I bet you Dante like me ships to atleast a dozen or so pro athletes.Pro bodybuilders mostly use Whey Protein Isolate, and Waxey Maze Starch.Thats what I have the most requests for.The more advanced and intelligent ones will add Beta Casein, Egg Protein or Milk Isolates.
90% of the times its low carb Whey Protein Isolate they want.Most of them after training use Whey Protein Isolate with Waxey Maze Starch.
If you are a 200lb man and you want a awesome recovery blend.Take 30 grams of Whey Protein Isolate,60 grams of Waxey Maze Starch, 10 grams of L-Glutamine, 5 grams of BCAA's, and 2 grams of Beta Alanine.Then pop 3 grams of Vitamin C
This will give you excellent recovery, and cover give your body everything it needs to grow aswell as recover

So will real food if you know what you are doing.

Tamer Razor

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
Protein powder are an extremely helpfull tool to any athlete. The high levels of BCAA/Glutamine and large spectrum of essential amino acids found in high quality protein Powders would require very large amounts of food to compensate for. The biggest mistake is to replace supplaments for food, that is why they are call supplements in the first place, but its use generally speaking is almost essential to an elite Pro.

Tamer Razor

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 06:23:46 PM »
So will real food if you know what you are doing.

I am not sure you understand the difficulties of getting 30 grams of Whey Protein Isolate,60 grams of Waxey Maze Starch, 10 grams of L-Glutamine, 5 grams of BCAA's, and 2 grams of Beta Alanine.Then pop 3 grams of Vitamin C ....from food only....definitely possible but good luck  ::)

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
Protein powder are an extremely helpfull tool to any athlete. The high levels of BCAA/Glutamine and large spectrum of essential amino acids found in high quality protein Powders would require very large amounts of food to compensate for. The biggest mistake is to replace supplaments for food, that is why they are call supplements in the first place, but its use generally speaking is almost essential to an elite Pro.

quoted for truth, somebody give this man a klondike bar.