Author Topic: TRX Force Military Strength 12 week program log book  (Read 88389 times)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: TRX Force Military Strength 12 week program log book
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2009, 04:01:40 AM »
Week 3 + 4
Week 2/2

Strength session B
Friday

Same as Thursday, nothing special today, had a good training.

Saturday
Cardio

Tempo Run, 25mins at hard tempo pace. Like above, i cut back a bit on the tempo and it worked better. I feel good now after the cardio sessions, not exhausted with aching legs. Looks like i found my pace now.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 02:10:43 AM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 1/2

Strength session A
Monday

Now we're talking! Not that it wasn't demanding until now, god beware! But: all exercises are bumped to 2 sets now, transition time between exercises and rest time between sets is 45 seconds now.
Rep numbers are down for each set, but the overall volume is bigger than before. This weeks program is the same as the examlpe workout on the DVD...
Now it feels "round". Legs are on fire, both quadriceps and hams have been worked well. Arm exercises are each 2 sets as well now and now arms are worked enough as well! After the increase in volume, i could feel how much my arms work on the High Rotation exercise right after the Triceps set.
The Suspended crunch is exchanged with the "TRX Body Saw". By seeing the pics, i thought this exercise would suck. I really thought it would be too easy. But how i was wrong...
I did the ten reps in the first set, but only managed 6 reps in the second set, than had to pause and stopped at nine reps total. No way i could do the tenth rep, maybe after the shower, lol! This exercise is a killer, it works the whole body, but the abs so hard i couldn't believe it.

You just move back and forth in this position, "as if your body would saw wood"...

Brutal. No Cardio today.

I just realized i forgot to write down yesterday's Long Run. I bought a Polar heart rate watch and used it on the long run. This helped me a lot to stay in the right range, i think i'm getting better at running. Time was 55mins at easy pace.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 12:18:40 AM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 1/2

Strength session B
Tuesday

Again,all exercises are bumped to 2 sets now, transition time between exercises and rest time between sets is 45 seconds now.
Rep numbers are down for each set, but the overall volume is bigger than before.
Training felt VERY good, it's 4 minutes for 20 reps on the Suspended Incline press now, and i definitly needed them...
The elevated back row is 3 minutes 30 reps now, again, quite demanding.

The last exercise of the session, the suspended oblique crunch was exchanged with the Oblique pike, and holy shit, that exercise is brutal! Abs, legs, shoulders are already worked good throughout the whole program, and then you get that exercise!! I could do the first set with some trouble, but in the second set i had to rest/pause to finish it and that laid on the ground for 2 minutes or so, lol...
Needless to say, i feel great today.  ;D

Cardio

Intensity Run I, 3x5mins hills. Very nice with the polar heart rate monitor, i seriously had fun on the treadmill.  ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 05:58:12 AM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 1/2

Strength session A
Thursday

Good session, the "more sets, less reps" part suits me more than one set with more reps. I also managed to do the Body Saw today, i think this one can manage it to get one of my favorite exercises. I did similiar stuff like that with the arms on a swiss ball before, but you cannot compare it one bit to the TRX version.

Cardio

Intensity Run II, 2x8mins at threshold with 5mins easy in between, 46mins with warm-up/cool-down.
Had a good run, thanks to the Polar i can stay just at about 85-90% of max heart rate on the intensity parts and go moderate in between. This makes the training much better, as i can see for the right intensity over the whole distance now.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 1/2

Strength session B
Friday

Everything fine today, i did the 20 reps Suspended Incline Press in 4 minutes at 5 clean reps per minute. The Oblique pike killed me off again, that exercise is brutal.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »
Now that you have used it for awhile what's your overall impression of TRX?  Does it hit every body part hard?  Is it easy to adjust?  Is it worth the money.  I know there are other companies that have their version of TRX but TRX was the first I heard of suspension training.  I'm thinking about getting one but I'm on the fence.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »
Great log. Nice to see someone trying something a bit different and to see what the results will be.

Hang in there.
As empty as paradise

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:43 AM »
Now that you have used it for awhile what's your overall impression of TRX?  Does it hit every body part hard?  Is it easy to adjust?  Is it worth the money.  I know there are other companies that have their version of TRX but TRX was the first I heard of suspension training.  I'm thinking about getting one but I'm on the fence.

I honestly have to say i love it. The workout is really good for the whole body and overall strength, at first i thought the arms would lag, but there are 2 exercises especially for arms on the lower body day (session A) and the arms work on nearly all exercises in upper body day (session B).
As for the price: Seriously, this is dirtcheap. Compare it to what you would pay for a bench, a barbell and some plates... But the TRX does not only work your whole body, you can also take it with you (for example to Disneyland, for the people that bring their own food as well.  ;D ;D ;D ;D )

It's totally easy to mount and to adjust, literally a question of seconds. As i wrote above, the quality is very good as well.

There are also many small changes i feel since using the TRX. For example, i had a knee injury when i was about 15. Since then, i always had problems standing only on my right leg holding the balance without starting to shake. This morning, i was putting on my socks and i realized i was absolutely stable, standing on my right leg. I can stand on one leg as stable as on two, almost. I tried a lot of stuff to stabilize the smaller muscles in the legs, but i never could do it. Now it came from itself. And it has to be the TRX, as i wasn't able to do this 6 weeks ago.
Another thing is the abs and general athletic performance. I always was a friend of periodising my workouts. I think the body adapts very fast to the workouts, it's just a matter of one or two weeks. The 12 week strength program has proved for me that this is how it works for me.

When i start a 2 week section, the first two workouts are really hard, the second pair in the same week is still hard, then in the second week, the first workout is still demanding, but fun and the fourth pair has some routine in it. It's not that it gets too light or easy, but the body KNOWS what comes and so you start to shift your power around equally to all exercises and end up with a little reserve. This was impossible in the forst workout, as the body could not know what will happen.

Great log. Nice to see someone trying something a bit different and to see what the results will be.

Hang in there.

Thanks a lot, after the 12 weeks i will be back in the gym and test how my lifts have changed. I think with all the heavy core exercises and one legged squats my deadlift and squat will be better than before.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:38 AM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 2/2

Strength session A
Monday

Good training yesterday, see above post for more detail.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:38 PM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 2/2

Strength session B
Tuesday

Good training, cardio was good as well. The soreness has stopped almost completely by now.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2009, 05:01:21 AM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 2/2

Strength session A
Thursday

Great training today, it's amazing that i was struggling to do the Body Saw just about ten days ago and now can do the ten reps in each set. It's not easy at all, but i could squeeze an eleventh rep out if i wanted.
Same with the Side Plank, i'm totally stable now while doing the 10 floor taps!
On biceps, i tried a bit steeper angle, and it got noticably more difficult.

Cardio

Intensity Run II, 2x8 minutes with 5 mins easy in between, 10min warm-up and 10mins cool-down.

I was a bit to light on the first 8 mins, but i went faster on the last 3 minutes of that. The second 8 minutes i did faster all the time, but i felt good after the cooldown.
Some things that made me notice i improve in the cardio sessions:
  • I don't think about that i might die during the run anymore
  • Soreness in the legs is almost completely gone
  • It doesn't matter anymore to what i listen on the MP3-player, i just run

;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2009, 01:22:16 AM »
Week 5 + 6
Week 2/2

Strength session B
Friday

I felt very weak on the chest exercises, but i managed to catch up along the workout and had a very good feeling on the delts and core exercises.

Cardio

In week six, days 5 to 7 are off, so i relaxed over the weekend.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »
Week 7 + 8
Week 1/2

Strength session a
Monday

In weeks 7 and 8, all exercises' reps are bumped. Rest time between sets is down to 30 seconds, transitin time between exercises is down to 40 seconds.

This means i.e. 15 reps each leg on the suspended lunge in 2 sets with 30seconds in between, 40 seconds rest, then 15 reps each side of the single leg squat (2 sets as well), then 40 seconds rest, and 30 reps of the sprinters start per leg, with 15 slow and 15 fast.

After that, hamstrings, arms and core exercises.

After the session, my legs were shaking. More reps with less rest is surely a good combination. Weeks 7 and 8 are surely going to be interesting, and i hope i can catch up with it like i did in the weeks before.

Another change is the that the Side Plank is now on the hand, not on the elbow.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 05:16:59 AM »
Week 7 + 8
Week 1/2

Strength session B
Tuesday

Bumping all rep numbers have made this quite exhausting, i have to say weeks 5+6 suited me best so far. I was really fighting with the last core exercises and had to rest/pause to make the last set of oblique pikes. (ten reps now)

Cardio

Intensity Run I, 4x5 minutes hills. No problem, had a good run.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 06:33:05 AM »
Week 7 + 8
Week 1/2

Strength session A
Thursday

Legs were shaking again.  ;D ;D
The arms really get some work to do this week, normally the arms are, even if focused on in Session A, worked again the next day in the upper body exercises of Session B like the chest press or back row.
But with the extra reps in Session A, the arms get some good work now!
The core exercises are a bit less, the side Plank is on the hand, but static at 20 seconds again. A little too easy, but the Body Saw catches up with that.

Cardio

Intensity Run II, 3x8 mins at threshold with 5mins easy in between, 10mins warm-up, 10mins cool down.

Right after the demanding leg exercises, i was a little afraid of how this would turn out, but it all went well. The running was fun, the only downside was that my Mp3-player's headphones went dead during the run.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2009, 07:49:58 AM »
Week 7 + 8
Week 2/2

Quick summary on week 8:

I was away on a business trip. I trained in the Hotel room, which was absolutely perfect except for the fact that there was a cupboard near the door so that the Deltoid T Fly could only be done in a little smaller range of motion.

Cardio was good as well, i went running outside in the evenings. A little cold and rainy, and i didn't know the area, so i only ran half the time in the one direction and the other half back.

Being able to train JUST THE SAME as at home while being away was really a plus point. Just for fun, i had a look at the fitness room of the hotel which consisted of two stationary bikes and one "all in one" sort of machine that looked like shit.

Now, i am really looking forward to weeks nine and ten, which by  a quick look into the manual look really hard.

I will post the session A of week 9 tonight or tomorrow.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 01:25:21 AM »
Week 9 + 10
Week 1/2

Strength Session A
Monday

Holy Shit, that was a workout. The rest times are down to 20 seconds, the transition time is 35 seconds now. If that wasn't enough, there are "power"-moves on the 3 quadriceps exercises now, meaning that the Suspended Lunge, the One Legged Squat and the Sprinters Start are now with a jump on each rep, but the total rep number is down. The jump makes the movements so much more difficult and exhausting.
After that, the three hamstring exercises are performed in two super sets, meaning all three movements, 60 second break, and again.

The arm exercises are the same, only that the rest times are shorter.

The last core exercise is now the Body Saw PLUS a Crunch movement. That means you rock back on your elbows and on the way forward you pull your legs under your body. Fucking great movement.

I have to say, i like this week much more than the week before, but this is really hard now. In the first 4 weeks, the difficulty was mainly from the unusal workout, then it gradually build up. I think when i do this program again, i could do very slow and concetrated reps in that time. Weeks 5 to 6 where challenging, and weeks 7 and 8 were horror. Now week 9 is a total different difficulty, and the jump is much bigger than the weeks before.
Let's see where this will lead.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »
Week 9 + 10
Week 1/2

Strength Session B
Tuesday

Are you fucking kidding me? That was what i was thinking today. The WO was brutal. 3 mins for 20 reps on the Suspended Incline Press, then the Atomic Pushup to a pike, not a crunch. 3mins for 40 reps on the elevated back row.
3 sets for the Single Arm Power Pull and the deltoid exercises in a superset. Then 2 x 20 reps of the High back extension. By that i thought i would die.
And then? The core exercises, Suspended pendulum to pike and then the Oblique Pike with a Saw! 2x10 was the goal, but i hardly managed 6 reps on each side. I was almost puking after the workout.  :o

I skipped the cardio today, mainly due to time reasons, and because i was pissed off with university still not giving me my results.
Normally, week nine has days 5 to 7 off for cardio, but i'll do the Intensity run I on Thursday and the Intensity Run II on saturday.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
Week 9 + 10
Week 1/2

Strength Session A
Thursday

This time, it nearly killed me.  >:(
On the High Rotation, i felt all weak around the stomach and had to sit down for a few minutes.  :-\
I managed to end the session after that break, but it didn't feel too good. The core exercises on a weak stomach is really something else.  :-X
The leg part (6 movements) is really hard, and then after the two arm exercises that don't really allow you to relax your body as well, i was finished.
Muscular endurance and strength are challenged a lot more than before, i am really surprised that i could feel so weak again, after the weeks before, lol.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:23 AM »
I have to say i felt really good yesterday after the workout and today (before Session B).

I feel awake, powerful.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2009, 11:47:36 AM »
I have to say i felt really good yesterday after the workout and today (before Session B).

I feel awake, powerful.

good stuff dk, glad its going well.
175lbs by 31st July

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »
good stuff dk, glad its going well.

Thanks!

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »
Week 9 + 10
Week 1/2

Strength Session B
Friday

The second time of Session B in week 9 went considerably better than the first one. i felt really good throughout the day and really wanted to train. Only the last set of the Oblique Pike with Saw i cut down the reps to nine each side because i simply had extreme muscle failure and couldn|t do more.

Next week i'm in Barcelona, so i will update the whole week 10 after i return.  ;D

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2009, 01:52:56 AM »
Yesterday, Donkey himself showed me how he trains this and i tryed this.
Very good for maintaining the muscle mass during long off or traveling.
Maybe I will buy one.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2009, 01:10:22 PM »
Yesterday, Donkey himself showed me how he trains this and i tryed this.
Very good for maintaining the muscle mass during long off or traveling.
Maybe I will buy one.

thanks for the comment, but i want to add you can build muscle with this as well, not only maintain.

the TRX has enough possibilities to make exercises difficult enough to be challenging. I build some good mass in the last 10 weeks all over the body without exception. The single leg exercises are a great change to the normal squat routines.