Author Topic: Match of the Day  (Read 60869 times)

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
Re: Match of the Day
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »
Don't know how I didn't notice this thread until today; so much for my powers of observation.  Now that I've found it, work suddenly seems a whole lot less interesting. ;)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »
AMW v Triple X Turning Point 04 What TNA used to be...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
Wahoo v Magnum TA for NWA US title

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2011, 06:23:37 AM »
Does anyone have footage of Haas/Benjamin vs. "Kings of Wrestling" from ROH's Glory By Honor IX?

I know it's available via DVD; I was wondering if anyone's come across it on daily motion or YT.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2011, 06:48:25 AM »
Does anyone have footage of Haas/Benjamin vs. "Kings of Wrestling" from ROH's Glory By Honor IX?

I know it's available via DVD; I was wondering if anyone's come across it on daily motion or YT.

Not me but I will say that those two are amazing performers with a phenomenal NCAA wrestling background. Stupid move by WWE letting them go. They would have been a great cocky heel team IMO. Didn't they sign with TNA?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 06:55:45 AM »
Not me but I will say that those two are amazing performers with a phenomenal NCAA wrestling background. Stupid move by WWE letting them go. They would have been a great cocky heel team IMO. Didn't they sign with TNA?

I kept hearing that they wanted to...
Then, they were supposed to...
Then, they were close to...
But - although I haven't watched a show in several months - I still don't see their names on the TNA roster.

I can't BELIEVE neither of the "big two" has picked these guys up!!
The old man keeps Kofi fukking Kinsgston, but glances over these two.

Kings of Wrestlig aren't no slouches, either.

It's been many years since I've seen a tag match like this one looks...and, that's just going from the highlights:

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2011, 08:01:59 AM »

I kept hearing that they wanted to...
Then, they were supposed to...
Then, they were close to...
But - although I haven't watched a show in several months - I still don't see their names on the TNA roster.

I can't BELIEVE neither of the "big two" has picked these guys up!!
The old man keeps Kofi fukking Kinsgston, but glances over these two.

Kings of Wrestlig aren't no slouches, either.

It's been many years since I've seen a tag match like this one looks...and, that's just going from the highlights:

WWE already had Haas and Benjamin (aka "Team Angle).

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »
I'm aware of that.
Thank you.

I still cannot understand why neither organization is utilizing such excellent talent.

Angle was supposedly licking his chops at the possibility of working with them again in TNA.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
I'm aware of that.
Thank you.

I still cannot understand why neither organization is utilizing such excellent talent.

Angle was supposedly licking his chops at the possibility of working with them again in TNA.

Lol....are you being "corrected", Mont? Like the rest of us?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »
I'm aware of that.
Thank you.

They (at least WWE) have already utilized it. Benjamin won the tag titles and the IC title at least twice. He was the official crash dummy in the WrestleMania Money-in-the-Bank matches. And his 2006 feud with RVD, culminating with a "Winner-Take-All" match (RVD's Money-in-the-Bank briefcase vs. Benjamin's IC title) was great.

Haas won another tag title with Rico (the gay thing with those two ran for a little while). Having Haas mimick other wrestlers was also hilarious.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
That's not the point, dude. They could have done more with them. They are both really good performers. They released them because creative "had nothing for them".

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »
That's not the point, dude. They could have done more with them. They are both really good performers. They released them because creative "had nothing for them".

Instead WWE found other really good performers: John Morrison, Sheamus, and one of my new favorites......

ALLLLLLLLBERRRTOOOOOOOOO OOOO DEL RIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »
Check out this match between Rick Rude & Randy Savage.
Not a whole lot of wrestling going on in the first few minutes, yet - in that time - they generated more heat and emotion than today's 15 mins. of rehearsed highspots and novel-length, scripted promos.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »
Not a whole lot of wrestling going on in the first few minutes, yet - in that time - they generated more heat and emotion than today's 15 mins. of rehearsed highspots and novel-length, scripted promos.

Ah, the lost art of storytelling.....  crowd was in the palm of their hands.....and notice no stupid signs....fans on the edge of their seats the whole time.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:29 AM »
Ah, the lost art of storytelling.....  crowd was in the palm of their hands.....and notice no stupid signs....fans on the edge of their seats the whole time.

Show, sorry if you've already answered this, but were you exposed to Memphis Wrestling (at least, part of the time) growing up?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »

Show, sorry if you've already answered this, but were you exposed to Memphis Wrestling (at least, part of the time) growing up?

Not a lot.  since we lived in western NC, i did have a friend who picked up Tenn TV stations, but he wasn't much of a wrestling fan.  i would watch when I could.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »

Very good find here.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
Not a lot.  since we lived in western NC, i did have a friend who picked up Tenn TV stations, but he wasn't much of a wrestling fan.  i would watch when I could.

Gotcha.

I swear that the Carolina’s were the best place to be a wrestling fan in the 80’s - being exposed to all of those different products between Georgia, Florida, Memphis, etc.
The Northwest/North-central was also a hotbed with AWA running their shows and the strong crossover of realistic Canadian workers.

I was caught in the middle: the NorthEast.
My region was the original WWWF territory, and so by the time Vince Jr. took over, the WWF was pretty much all we had.

Eventually, we found NWA and AWA on some of the cable stations.
And I think somebody picked up Todd Gordon’s Eastern Championship Wrestling, but it was on at some goofy-ass hour.

For a long time, my primary exposure to life outside WWF-land was through the wrestling mags.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »

Gotcha.

I swear that the Carolina’s were the best place to be a wrestling fan in the 80’s - being exposed to all of those different products between Georgia, Florida, Memphis, etc.
The Northwest/North-central was also a hotbed with AWA running their shows and the strong crossover of realistic Canadian workers.

I was caught in the middle: the NorthEast.
My region was the original WWWF territory, and so by the time Vince Jr. took over, the WWF was pretty much all we had.

Eventually, we found NWA and AWA on some of the cable stations.
And I think somebody picked up Todd Gordon’s Eastern Championship Wrestling, but it was on at some goofy-ass hour.

For a long time, my primary exposure to life outside WWF-land was through the wrestling mags.
Same with me with the addition of Stampede Wrestling for obvious reasons. They only aired Mid-Atlantic stuff at 3am in the morning over here. I think it was in 1986 that they finally started airing AWA and NWA / Mid-Atlantic product on saturday afternoons here.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
Same with me with the addition of Stampede Wrestling for obvious reasons. They only aired Mid-Atlantic stuff at 3am in the morning over here. I think it was in 1986 that they finally started airing AWA and NWA / Mid-Atlantic product on saturday afternoons here.

Wow!!
I believe you, of course.
I'm just really surprised you didn't get Verne's show sooner, being so close to AWA "HQ."

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
At one time, I would watch Mid-Atlantic on Sat at noon for 1hr......Georgia at 6:05 until 8:05 on TBS.....then at midnight there was another Mid-Atlantic show on.... and that was with some occasional WWF or AWA at a friend of my dad's who had a dish, thrown in.... I was a junkie.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2011, 09:37:54 AM »

Wow!!
I believe you, of course.
I'm just really surprised you didn't get Verne's show sooner, being so close to AWA "HQ."
Yup, it would have been nice. Right now I get Classic Wrestling once in a while on one of the channels on the Bell Express view satellite dish and sometime you get some good classic stuff. Barron Von Rachki matches, older Road Warriors matches, Stan Hansen matches, etc.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2011, 10:37:58 AM »
Very good find here.  :)

I forgot how athletic a young macho man was back in the day. Very nimble

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
I forgot how athletic a young macho man was back in the day. Very nimble

Lanny, too - used to do some bad-ass stuff off the ropes for that time.
It seems like he was always overshadowed by stupid gimmicks, and a very underrated ring talent.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2011, 05:00:39 AM »

Lanny, too - used to do some bad-ass stuff off the ropes for that time.
It seems like he was always overshadowed by stupid gimmicks, and a very underrated ring talent.

I used to get a kick when Lanny would read a poem abouthis opponent and then his opponent would kick the crap out of him.  ;D